Jigme's goals are non-solid phenomena

Jigme

Hi!  Just finished my first challenge, and I am now joining the Monks.  I do kyudo, a.k.a. Zen archery.  My first martial art was aikido, which I practiced both as a teenager (got injured and stopped for about seven years), and as an adult (got sick and stopped for about four years).  I keep telling myself that I will go back to it one day, but I also accidentally developed a lot of injury-related hangups around aikido, so I'm gonna have to go ahead and work through those.

I usually try to keep my endeavors well-rounded across the stat spectrum; I'm not a min-maxer by any means.  My last challenge has been working on my CON - got a chronic illness, CON takes a hit, so I did a Zombie C25K program to bring it up.  So far, running has been a lifesaver.  The plan is to focus on a stat for each challenge, maintain what I'm doing for all stats, but only add something new for the Focus Stat.  This time around, I'm picking STR.

STR

• GMB Elements.  I got the program a while ago, but got stuck halfway through.  So, I got 4 weeks left - perfect for a challenge.

DEX

• Yoga 2x/wk

CON

• Keep up running at least 5x/week
  • Bonus: cut 5 mins off that 5K (I'm at 39 mins now)

INT

• Daily Swedish practice on Duolingo (I'm going to Stockholm in March!)
  • Bonus: also French + daily katas on Codewars

WIS

• keep up that daily meditation streak. Keep it up into eteeeeernity.  It's been a year and a haaaaalf~

CHA

(welcome to my dump stat)

• so, this is kind of weird, but I'm pretty sure that I am one of those monks that has undertaken the vow of cleanliness. IRL. There are some strong words in the writings regarding Buddhism in general, and my lineage specifically that instruct practitioners to keep themselves and their surroundings clean.  Pretty sure chores are about 80% of my religious practice.  So I should actually...you know...do them.  Keep the ol' house and clothes looking good.  Unf*ck Your Habitat has some good lists that I usually follow, but it's just time to be more intentional about it.
  • Like 4

It's a lot of goals, but many of them are not new, so you've probably got a good sense of how they fit into your time.

I'm interested in the writings on cleanliness! I'm trying to develop that a little more in myself; I'm sort of disorganized, but it's good for the brain to be tidier. I've also never quite managed to figure out mindfulness in daily tasks, but I'd like to, and that seems like most usual first step, in monastic practice.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

21 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

I haven't seen such a detailed use of the stats in a while. That's cool.

It sounds like a, well, challenging challenge.
Congrats on the meditation streak! That's pretty impressive.

Thank you!  Other than the GMB exercises, it's all stuff that I'm already doing, so hopefully adding one more thing to 'keeping it up' will not ruin everything.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

It's a lot of goals, but many of them are not new, so you've probably got a good sense of how they fit into your time.

I'm interested in the writings on cleanliness! I'm trying to develop that a little more in myself; I'm sort of disorganized, but it's good for the brain to be tidier. I've also never quite managed to figure out mindfulness in daily tasks, but I'd like to, and that seems like most usual first step, in monastic practice.

Here is a story of a monk who achieved enlightenment through sweeping!  In fact, a lot of the retellings of this story paint that monk out to be 'slow' or 'dull' or 'developmentally challenged,' because of his memorization issues, but it sounds to me that perhaps he was a fellow individual with ADD, and the Buddha gave him an option for kinesthetic meditation.

Here are some quotes from my lineage:

You do not have to live in a palace. You can relax and let go wherever you are. Wherever you are, it is a palace. If you move into an apartment that was left in a mess, you can spend the time to clean it up,  not because you feel bad or oppressed by dirt, but because you feel good. If you take the time to clean up and move in properly, you can transform a dumpy apartment into an accommodating home.

You may not have money to buy expensive clothes, but you don’t have to feel that your economic problems are driving you into the depression of the setting-sun world. You can still express dignity and goodness. You may be wearing jeans and a T-shirt, but you can be a dignified person wearing a T-shirt and cut-off jeans. The problem arises when you don’t have respect for yourself and therefore for your clothes. If you go to bed in a depression and throw your clothes on the floor, that is a problem.

Trungpa, Chogyam. Shambhala: The Sacred Path of the Warrior.

I've gotta be honest, this whole 'clean because you feel good' thing is pretty foreign to me, because I definitely do feel oppressed by dirt.  And I love throwing the ol' clothes on the floor.  But I think the point is that you just take care of your stuff and yourself, and appreciate that you have something to take care of.

• Like 2

Day 1

Fired up the ol' Habitca to keep track of the dailies.  I have some trouble with it, because of all the bells and whistles, and generally prefer pen and paper tracking, but I'm doing a lot every day, so I'll give it a shot.  Here where we're at so far:

STR

• I was going to do the GMB Elements workout in the morning, but then realized that there is no time limit on it, and didn't want to be rushed.  That left me with a time slot after dinner.  Which means I gotta get up off the couch...any minute now...Yep.

DEX

• N/A - Tuesday

CON

• 5K over lunch - 39 minutes.  It's getting cold!  I slammed the car door on my ankle today (parking on a hill is fun), but it doesn't seem to have affected my stride.  Taking the day off tomorrow!

INT

• French & Swedish & Codewars done.  I'm starting to not feel as much resistance towards Codewars.  I'm not...great at Javascript, and I don't touch it at work, but it's an important skill for my career.  It's hard publicly engaging in something that one is not great at.  But I noticed a new feeling:  I was actually excited about the prospect of solving a problem.  I'm still on the easiest level, and I still have to look something up for every single problem; however, it's reminding me of starting to run a couple of months ago.  I just gotta give myself permission to suck.  With the pressure off, I can even possibly enjoy myself.

WIS

• slow day at work, so snuck in a good session there.  We have a dedicated meditation room, and people don't ask too many questions.

CHA

• lots of stuff to clean up after dinner.  Having looked over some quotes re: cleaning, though, I'm realizing that I need to shift my attitude to that of appreciation.  I have a really great kitchen, where I can make really awesome food, and I can make it look shiny and nice for the next time that I make more delicious food.
  • Like 1

Day 2

I don't know which gods I angered in order to earn myself a restless night, but there was some tossing and turning from about 3 am to about 5 am.  Was it the morning cup of coffee?  Was it the late night exercise?  I don't know, but I feel beat up.

Doing good on all the goals so far.  Yoga was nice after a two-week break - my whole body feels stiff, especially hamstrings and hips.  No surprise for a runner!  Also, the weather is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow, so I'm biking.  I get one extra personal day per six months at my job if I bike 3x/week, but I have no idea how I'll keep it up once it starts getting pitch black at 5 pm (so, in two weeks?).  Better enjoy it while it lasts.

Did. Not.  Feel like cooking today.  I've got about two meals' worth of chili leftovers and that's...about it.  I really need to do weekend food prep, but last week just didn't work out.  "Oh, it'll taste better freshly cooked!" I told myself - yeah, but also you gotta freshly cook it, friend, so that's something to consider.  It's fun to put together all these cool dishes, but at the end of the day, what I'm looking for is 2 different types of protein (lunch & dinner), 2 grains, and 4 vegetables (say, 2 cooked, 2 raw).  Could be anything.  I don't care.  Just let me sleep.

Fatigue takes the joy from things. :( Sorry to hear you didn't get any sleep! I bet if you get a good night's sleep after all this that things'll feel better and the discipline will be easier. Also, if possible, maybe look into restaurants that serve good food made to order? It's more expensive in the long run, but it does let you outsource the task a bit and save you time and willpower.

19 hours ago, Jigme said:

"Oh, it'll taste better freshly cooked!" I told myself - yeah, but also you gotta freshly cook it, friend, so that's something to consider. 

I have fallen into that trap also. Last week, actually. :)

Thank you guys for the food-related suggestions and sympathies!  I did go out for a ramen noodle lunch today, which was delicious, but I can't quite swing going out very often - budget is a bit tight.  But I think a compromise might be to just cut up a bunch of stuff, which is usually my biggest hurdle, so that all I have to do is throw it together on a stove or in an oven.  For example, tonight I made some eggplant & sweet potato curry, and saved the unused half of the eggplant and sweet potato in the freezer, so I can either revisit the curry or do something else with them.

Day 3 has gone all right, I'm still tracking everything.  Did not bike today, because that was officially Too Much.  In fact, since I went out for lunch, and I usually run on my lunch break, I was worried about how I was going to squeeze in a 5K and a GMB workout before dinner.  But you know what...it worked out somehow.  Not sure how it happened, but after a very enjoyable sunset run, I rolled around on the floor with GMB, ate, made lunch for tomorrow, and even watched a show while I was chopping All The Things.  There was definitely a marked difference in my evening energy levels yesterday and today.  Getting more sleep was great, of course.  Additionally, running itself staves off fatigue for me, and I'm starting to be able to tell how different I feel on days that I don't run.  On the other hand, recovery is good.  Further observation needed!

I really love sunset runs, by the way.  There is this beautiful lake by my house, and I get to see all kinds of people walking around it: dog owners, couples, parents and kids.  A lot of them, I suspect, are out there catching Pokémon.  It's nice.  I can't help but smile at the puppies as I'm running.

On the other end of the pet spectrum, my cats are fascinated with my doing GMB exercises in the living room.  One of the cats straight up comes up to me and screams.  He's part Siamese, they tend to be talkers, and he's of the opinion that he needs to have input on everything that I'm doing.  He also likes to sharpen his claws on my extra thick Gaiam yoga mat.  My cat is an asshole.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cats are like that with exercise, I've noticed. They're like, "Oh look, the human has shapeshifted into a den/perch. How convenient." And also their willingness to use our equipment. Thanks cats.

I'm glad to see that there was an observable difference in how you felt and how you performed. May the observations continue. :)

15 hours ago, Jigme said:

Thank you guys for the food-related suggestions and sympathies!  I did go out for a ramen noodle lunch today, which was delicious, but I can't quite swing going out very often - budget is a bit tight.  But I think a compromise might be to just cut up a bunch of stuff, which is usually my biggest hurdle, so that all I have to do is throw it together on a stove or in an oven.  For example, tonight I made some eggplant & sweet potato curry, and saved the unused half of the eggplant and sweet potato in the freezer, so I can either revisit the curry or do something else with them.

Day 3 has gone all right, I'm still tracking everything.  Did not bike today, because that was officially Too Much.  In fact, since I went out for lunch, and I usually run on my lunch break, I was worried about how I was going to squeeze in a 5K and a GMB workout before dinner.  But you know what...it worked out somehow.  Not sure how it happened, but after a very enjoyable sunset run, I rolled around on the floor with GMB, ate, made lunch for tomorrow, and even watched a show while I was chopping All The Things.  There was definitely a marked difference in my evening energy levels yesterday and today.  Getting more sleep was great, of course.  Additionally, running itself staves off fatigue for me, and I'm starting to be able to tell how different I feel on days that I don't run.  On the other hand, recovery is good.  Further observation needed!

I really love sunset runs, by the way.  There is this beautiful lake by my house, and I get to see all kinds of people walking around it: dog owners, couples, parents and kids.  A lot of them, I suspect, are out there catching Pokémon.  It's nice.  I can't help but smile at the puppies as I'm running.

On the other end of the pet spectrum, my cats are fascinated with my doing GMB exercises in the living room.  One of the cats straight up comes up to me and screams.  He's part Siamese, they tend to be talkers, and he's of the opinion that he needs to have input on everything that I'm doing.  He also likes to sharpen his claws on my extra thick Gaiam yoga mat.  My cat is an asshole.

Yeeeahh.. there seems to be a fierce war between cats and yoga mats, with humankind in the middle. 

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

Day 4

Noooo guys, I caught a cold.  And it's a chest cold, which means no running until it's gone, according to a bunch of expert opinions I just googled.  Thankfully, my work allows me to work from home, so I don't have to drag myself out tomorrow.  However, taking care of everyday activities is now going to be on Hard Mode.

Today is a stretch day for GMB, so I'm pretty sure I can manage that, but I doubt I'll be up for a full workout tomorrow.  I may have to adjust the challenge to go an extra week to make up for the R & R period.  Making myself a giant pot of tea.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
On 26/10/2017 at 9:20 PM, Jigme said:

Day 4

Noooo guys, I caught a cold.  And it's a chest cold, which means no running until it's gone, according to a bunch of expert opinions I just googled.  Thankfully, my work allows me to work from home, so I don't have to drag myself out tomorrow.  However, taking care of everyday activities is now going to be on Hard Mode.

Today is a stretch day for GMB, so I'm pretty sure I can manage that, but I doubt I'll be up for a full workout tomorrow.  I may have to adjust the challenge to go an extra week to make up for the R & R period.  Making myself a giant pot of tea.

Get better soon! 

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

I'm back!  I feel better!  I'm running again, and all the other items on my challenge list are going well, except for...

GMB, y'all.  I am not having a good time with it.  In fact, I'm dreading every single aspect of the workout, and all I can think of when I'm doing it is how much I hate it, and how I can't wait for it to be over.  I stuck it out a week and a half, and no signs of improvement are showing.  I find the movements boring and uncomfortable; there is no aspect of play, no joy in it.  Maybe it's helping my 'archery muscles,' i.e. tris and lats, maybe not.

There was a brief moment when I did the workout at the gym when I didn't despise it AS much (due to not being distracted by cleaning/cats/furniture at home), but the only room where I would be able to do it has group classes in it 6 days a week, so...Not really an option.  Unless I take my lunch early, but I don't want to look like a slacker at work.

So, anyway, since at this point, I would literally pay money to NOT do this workout, it is perhaps time to switch to something Strength-related that inspires more excitement.  Which, at this point, would pretty much be anything.  I was considering yardwork as a better substitute.  After Daylight Savings Time hits, however, I would not be able to do it after work - just the weekends.

I could do a pushup challenge.  I am Not Good at those, thanks to an old shoulder injury, but since it's been 15 years, maybe I should go ahead and give it a try.

If not, there's always yardwork.