Ratynda

Hey guys,

Better late than never I always say! While yesterday threw a slew of distractions at me I got a perfect window today to post my second challenge and my first one in the Rebel group. For those of you who don't know me, I'm Ratynda and where my last challenge focused on a broad group of topics meant to get me to broaden my thoughts towards new opportunities, this one will hold a lens to my progress in what I've established and measure out progress in a more tangible way. As I got to know myself better, I started to realize what motivates me and what drains me, and this month I'll be taking steps to enforce or eliminate those respectively. So without further ado....

- Complete three structured weightlifting workouts a week, based on push/pull split.

- Increase to the weight specified for the following lifts by the end of the challenge.

- Bench Press: 110 LBS

- Squats: 105 LBS

- Deadlift: 100 LBS

- Overhead Press: 25 LBS

- Limit eating out to one lunch per week, with the rest consisting of pre-made food.

- Limit Video Game play to three days out of the week.

- Attend one class for a new type of physical activity that I have never tried

With my workouts, I am finally getting back into the swing of thrice weekly splits, and with that I came up with a new program to try, In which I focus on progressing on the four big lifts listed above every week for a foundation of strength, then stratifying my workouts to different muscles under the push/pull category. For example I might start with bench Presses and Overhead presses one day, then target back and biceps with some rows, Lat pulldowns, and Bicep curls. I want to steadily get a feel for how quickly I can progress in my big lifts, so I went with some targets that I thought would be reasonable to reach but still a good challenge, with no shame upon failure to reach them. Of course, these weights do not keep bars into account.

The next two goals are targeted at reducing two of my vices, spending money and video games. While sometimes circumstances require buying food out, after spending sometimes a whole week only going out to eat, I can recognize how easily that drains my wallet, where I should be saving for travel. Games on the other hand are innocent enough and something that I love doing, but I recognize that when I spend days in a row playing them when I get home, I end up not accomplishing much, falling behind on my sleep, distracting myself during workouts, and just generally feeling mentally negative and unhealthy. This will allow me to enjoy the games in a healthy amount that doesn't require policing exact time. With the extra time I have, I will be stoking my fire for physical activity and finding new ways to exercise, leading to my last challenge. It can be any class or structured exercise, as long as I have not already tried it before. My gym has a myriad of group classes that should be perfect for this goal.

And that concludes my goals for this month! Short, sweet, and to the point. If anyone has any tips, suggestions, or feedback for me along the way, please let me know. Until then, lets get this challenge started!

• Like 2

Hey Ratynda, welcome to Rebel! Looks like you've got a nice list of specific and actionable goals there. Best of luck! I'm cheering for you!

6 hours ago, Ratynda said:

I recognize that when I spend days in a row playing them when I get home, I end up not accomplishing much, falling behind on my sleep, distracting myself during workouts, and just generally feeling mentally negative and unhealthy.

I feel this! One thing that may help you is to consider what Steve has to say about prioritization. Your challenge is already set up pretty well to encourage you to cut back on video games and you've listed several side effects of gaming that may not be directly related to the time-sink aspect, but you could think about what you'd like to be spending your extra time on instead. Exercise? Introspection? A project? Learning new recipes? If you can identify something that is more important to you, then it might be easier to hold off from defaulting to video games. 

On 10/23/2017 at 7:38 PM, Wobbegong said:

Hey Ratynda, welcome to Rebel! Looks like you've got a nice list of specific and actionable goals there. Best of luck! I'm cheering for you!

I feel this! One thing that may help you is to consider what Steve has to say about prioritization. Your challenge is already set up pretty well to encourage you to cut back on video games and you've listed several side effects of gaming that may not be directly related to the time-sink aspect, but you could think about what you'd like to be spending your extra time on instead. Exercise? Introspection? A project? Learning new recipes? If you can identify something that is more important to you, then it might be easier to hold off from defaulting to video games. 

Thanks! For my afternoons that I decide to not spend gaming, I have several things I could be doing. Reading, researching jobs, looking up travel, generally I made a decision to replace that time with anything that's ultimately productive and pushes me forward.

• Like 1
On 10/31/2017 at 6:43 PM, Inazea said:

How did your first week go? 

I should limit my gaming time too... 

Thanks for asking! And apologies for getting back so late. My first week went well! I met all of my goals and found out that some of the gauges I set for myself for my lifts were a little off, as I was able to meet my Overhead press goal on the first try! Just goes to show how much goes into pushing past what you think is your barrier. So far my video game challenge is paying tremendous dividends, but god if it doesn't feel like I'm having withdrawals. There are times that I crave a good Persona 5 session and I have to stop myself because I'm only halfway through the week.

This week was a bit of a bump in the road in terms of my lunches since I ate out for lunch three times this week due to not having food cooked in advance, but I can at least say it was out of necessity and I spent the least amount I could on each lunch, so all is not lost! Every other goal is going perfect, and I have decided on pole dancing as my new class to try! Unorthodox, but it's something fun i've always wanted to try. I'll definitely be reporting how it goes!

• Like 1

Hey guys! It has been a tumultuous week to be sure. But first the positives! I am making great progress on my lifts, and though I have yet to reach my outlined goal weights in squats and bench presses, I have already met my deadlift and Overhead press goal weights so far! I'm super excited to have met those, and now I'm even more equipped to take on another set of goals with reasonable expectations. This week has been throwing a lot of mental, emotional, and physical challenges at me with self-doubt plaguing my thoughts as of late. I fell back on my goal with limiting games, but realized that instead of putting an arbitrary day limit on my game play, I instead need to be replacing that time with productive activities that make me forget that gameplay was even an option. It takes discipline to not play games, but it takes Initiative to start something better, and that's going to be the theme of my next challenge. I have run into some challenges with the pole dancing class, as the class that I was going to sign up for is unfortunately limited to only women, as are the others available in my city. It's going to take some quick, creative thinking to complete this goal. Food wise though, this week has been a lot better. I went the week without eating out once, and have been putting more thought weekly into my diet, soon to add a caloric goal every day.

I can't thank y'all enough for the continued support and reminders. They are what keep me going at times. Until next week!

• Like 1

Hey all!

It has been an eventful month for sure. Here at the end of the challenge, I have a mixed bag of successes, opportunities, and learning experiences.

To start, I was not able to get my untried class set up in time. A combination of other priorities and the fact that my first choice, pole dancing, was exclusively limited to women in all the studios that I attempted, prevented my completion of that. My game time goal has had some hiccups as well, but it was a great opportunity for me to realize that the problem isn't necessarily the amount of days I spend playing games, but the types of games I play. When I spend all of my gameplay time playing either the same MMO I have played for two years or a turn-based game, I tend to glaze over and not actively engage with what  is happening. With these types of games, I am not being challenged in mental capacity or critical thinking. Games that test these are the kinds that I should be branching out to in my play time, as well as games that can be played with friends.

In terms of my food, after my initial hiccup, all of my meals have consistently been from home, with the allowed one per week. My Lifts, however, have gotten a huge boost.

As I mentioned before, some of my goals were a bit unobtainable, or way too easy. With my bench press, I am now hitting just under the goal at 105 instead of 110, and my squats are just below that at 100 lbs. My deadlift is now significantly higher, at a whopping 110, and my overhead presses are right on par at 25 lbs. Regardless of the exact numbers I hit, I am noticing significant gains in each lift and physically in how I look. Now that my lifts are on a consistent schedule, I can focus down my caloric intake  to put myself on the path to steadily gain weight.

Thanks for coming along on this journey with me! Can't wait to start my next goal. Till then!

• Like 1