• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

SimplyViki

"In moderation" and "Occasional Indulgences" - Please define!

I'm sorry, I know this is kind of silly, but I'm poking around on Mark's Daily Apple and I'm wondering about this. In the Primal Blueprint Shopping List, it mentions yams and yogurt (for example) as being things to consume "in moderation." Alcohol and dark chocolate are mentioned as "occasional indulgences."

What's that mean, exactly? I do consume probably about a half cup to a cup of plain Greek yogurt a day, but not always every single day. Is that moderate? Is that a lot? Is that not enough? And I've been microwaving sweet potatoes every other day or so for lunch or dinner. Is that moderate or a lot? Or not enough? Could I do more, or should I do less?

And then the dark chocolate and alcohol. (I'm not going to even try for 100% primal, and forget paleo. But I am going to try and steer my diet towards primal more often than not.) I buy a Green & Black Dark Chocolate 70% bar every... I don't know, week? Week and a half? And I eat bits of it every now and then. Sometimes more, sometimes less, and not always every single day.

Help! I don't understand vague concepts like "in moderation."

Thanks!

I think you're fine...yogurt and/or sweet potatoes every other day aren't hurting you, as long as you're meeting your goals. One superdark chocolate bar every week to week and a half seems like it would be fine as well.

I guess everyone's definition will vary. For me, an occasional drink would be once a month...not a drinking night once a month, but one drink a month because I just don't drink much. My husband's definition would be a couple of beers while grilling on the weekend...every weekend, so probably 3 beers every Saturday.

As long as you're seeing the results you want, don't sweat the small stuff.

I think some of it, too, is comparative -- how much are you eating, generally, and are these things a significant contributor to your diet? If I were having a 1,200 calorie day, and had a sweet potato for lunch, that'd be about a third of my calories for the day.

Just keep it proportionate and you'll be fine.

As long as you're seeing the results you want, don't sweat the small stuff.

^THIS. I've been known to polish off an entire container (4 cups) of Greek yogurt over the course of a day, and I eat sweet potatoes or some other starchy carb just about every day. Granted, I train hard 1.5+ hours a day, 5 days a week, but it just goes to show that the rules aren't set in stone. Don't make the "moderation" foods a major calorie source, but there's no reason to deprive yourself as long as you aren't seeing negative results.