How would you change the world?

I know we're all part of the rebellion here, and that we're all doing something to change our own lives. It's pretty inspiring stuff!

But, if you were going to change your part of the world, what would you do? And I mean beyond the usual stuff of donating to charity, recycling and donating old clothes, but - if you were going to remove 'impossible' from the equation, how would you like to change your corner of the world?

I will teach adult college students how to study smarter and think critically. I'm currently getting a phd and writing a blog on that, actually.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)
Tu, was du willst (Do What You Wish)
The Neverending Story, Michael Ende

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

If by corner of the world you mean US: I'd get the national government to stop meddling in everyone's affairs and put it back to the what it was meant to be - an organization designed to protect our rights. I'm fine with states fiddling with the way people live because people can move to another state and still be a US citizen; people can't escape the reach of the national government without leaving the nation. This way, people could get the same government benefits they do now... just from the the states that choose to provide it. I don't want to be cruel to people who depend on the government, I just want to be free and I want everyone else to be free. We can't be free if government scope-creep slowly drains us of our freedoms.

If by corner of the world you mean US: I'd get the national government to stop meddling in everyone's affairs and put it back to the what it was meant to be - an organization designed to protect our rights. I'm fine with states fiddling with the way people live because people can move to another state and still be a US citizen; people can't escape the reach of the national government without leaving the nation. This way, people could get the same government benefits they do now... just from the the states that choose to provide it. I don't want to be cruel to people who depend on the government, I just want to be free and I want everyone else to be free. We can't be free if government scope-creep slowly drains us of our freedoms.

...I don't think that's what she was asking.

Nice! What's your PhD in Okli? I'm doing one too! :)

Higher Ed admin. I'm a college librarian, but hoping that will help me take it to the next level. Not sure how yet, but...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

Check out my Musings on Fandom, Life, and the connections between the two at Fandom Lenses
LEVEL: 2 | STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 2 | CON 4 | WIS 9 (+5 from Year of Our WTF) | CHA 5 (+3 from Year of Our WTF)

My 2013 Challenge #1 is dedicated to Melissa Montag, 1975-2012. I Love you AnissaSis! :-)

Not quite was I was asking gerbil. You are, of course, entitled to your own opinion, but I was meaning more what we as individuals can do to change our world. I am determined to change my corner of the world (which is Scotland, as opposed to the US I'm afraid).

OMG, you're in Dundee!! I did my sophomore (2nd) year of uni there. Loved the town, still trying to figure out how to get back. And what's your phd in?

Hobbit Ranger
Current Challenge thread

Dúnedain Team Thread

When I was a girl scout leader it was so inspiring to me to teach girls to really believe they could accomplish anything. We had a dream to go to Europe as a troop and 5 years later we did it. I taught them they could do anything....and one of my girls even got into Harvard! They all earned their highest level of girl scout award--the gold award and I felt proud to have instilled in them these ideals. I continue to live the change I want to see in the world, which is what Ghandi said. I speak freely about energy, connection to nature and the idea that the future is not set but based our focus...so focus on what you want--not what you DONT WANT...hugs all!

The real world is bizarre enough for me....Blue Oyster Cult!

Oystergirl: Bad Assed Lightcaster (aka wizard!)

STR: 2 | DEX: 3 | CON: 3 | STA: 2 | WIS: 4 | CHA: 5

Oystergirl's Bad Ass Lightcaster Wicked Rocking Adventure Challenge!

Come visit my wicked rocking Nerd Fitness blog!

Oh, Also if i could change anything i would change the problems with our education system, its getting pretty bad, tuition going up ect... well, unfortunately I am still in the system and have other goals that im working towards.

"Civilize the Mind, but make Savage the Body."  

Join a protest to stop logging in a particularly beautiful area. Help a charity, physically.. by being there and volunteering rather than throwing money at them. Educate people on controversial topics and try change popular opinion of something horrible. Plant a tree, lower your global footprint, be nice to everyone *everyone* and try to understand them better.

Contributing to something, helping a movement and just being a generally good person will eventually lead to changes in the world =)

Ice cream tastes the same, doesn't affect insulin sensitivity, and has 0 calories.

I had a serious answer, but then I saw sundae's avatar.

the full name to go with that avatar is HungrySundae, but i left off the hungry for NF, don't remember why.

"Civilize the Mind, but make Savage the Body."  

How would I change the world? Heh, I'd show the people around me, how to live honorable, respectable, GOOD Lives. To inspire them to be honest and to keep their words. I am a living example of this, (to the best of my abilities) but it's sad when someone doesn't believe that I'm trying to help them just because it's the right thing to do, not because I want something out of them later! As much as I love the Godfather, I am not one! I'm too nice!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

Guest Gemeaux

I am going to become a teacher so I can influence children and teach them to be smart , confident and kind .

Instead of preaching my opinions all the time I am going to lead by example

I am going to show my support for same sex marriage and do whatever I can to get this issue in the spotlight so we can finally move out from the stone age

I am going to be kind , compassionate even though it might be hard at times . I am going to be honest , forgive and try and not be judgemental .

And lots more

It all starts with REAL education.

I would put finance specific classes into the school curriculum starting with middle school (with elementary schools having allegorical lessons directed towards savings and long term rewards). I believe that we as citizens can restore the economic portion of our society by making saving the norm instead of the current system of overspending and debt.

I would have nutrition be part of the curriculum K-12.

I would give teachers the pay, training, and empowerment to make this happen.

2/13/12

Starting Primal and free weights

10/02/12

Starting LeanGains. Still lifting all the things.

Fitocracy

Here's something I do already - educate people about restoring native plants.

People don't realize the huge impact that planting all these non-native, exotic flowers, shrubs and trees has on the environment. Not to mention all the chemicals that must be used on them, which harm the environment. By planting native species, you can do something right now, right in your own yard to make the world a better place.

Native plants attract native insects, bees, and butterflies. And in turn, those attract birds and other native species. But exotic/invasive species introduced by humans attract non-native pests, driving away our native insects and birds. Manicured gardens and lawns full of foreign things may be pretty to our eye, but they may as well be Mars to them.

Plus, the benefit to you is that native plants are already adapted to your environment, so don't require special chemicals, or lots of extra watering, etc. It doesn't have to be a huge effort. Plant a small rain garden or a patch of milkweed for the butterflies!

Let me share a few photos to illustrate what I mean ... you can see a lot more examples of my ongoing efforts at my photo gallery.

Native wildflowers by my patio:

original.jpg

Ruby-throated hummingbird feeding at royal catchfly:

original.jpg

Tiger swallowtail butterfly on swamp milkweed:

original.jpg

--

Liz

Shameless plug for my online photo gallery

Check out my backyard bird feeders

I work at a contract research lab. We work on pharmaceutical and chemical items. My work helps keep the company afloat. I like to think that, 10-20 years down the line, my work has helped make someone's life better through the use of better drugs, etc.

Lvl 5 Penguin Warrior:  10 Str, 3.5 Dex, 6.5 STA, 23.5 CON, 12.25 WIS, 5.75 CHA

Intro | Current Challenge Thread | Character sheet
My Personal Blog | My Food Blog

There are no failures, only learning pains