Echocheanic's log

So, after doing my first challenge here, I realised I don't do well with 4 week goals. I am more of a long term, change as you go, work in progress type of person. But I do realised that I love talking to you guys in there - people like @Taddea Zhaan @Grumble and other newbies like me I sadly don't know the usernames of (I suck at names) made my days, since I don't get to talk about exercise a lot. 

With that and the fact I had to take a step back because not working out for over 10 days wrecked all my progress (ah, failing right as you start seeing progress and losing it all - it sucks) I decided to get back to the normal bodyweight circuit and start over and start a battle log, where I will post whenever I exercise. That way I can have the accountability I like, and not feel like a failure when don't do well.

Since this is an introductory post, let me start with some stuff about me. I'm a girl, 23, from a small country in Europe (so English is not my first language), and my goals are general increase in strength and endurance. I'm pretty thin - 5.7 ish and 100 pounds, and have been like that all my life - a mix of good genes and a general healthy-ish diet from early on. My problem is I loose weight easily - yeah I know 'what a problem to have', but it does suck, because I can eat two servings of everything and have it have no impact. I've put that goal aside, because the frustration had started affecting my self esteem, so my current goal is just to not loose weight while upping my exercise. I've worked out since May this year - on and off and trying different things.

So let's start with today as day one - 10:30am. The last time I worked out was Monday - I decided to work out 2 times a week, and add a third when I know I can handle it. This is also the first time I worked out before 1pm. I want to see if I like it - I had about half a bag of wheat cookies before I worked out - lot of fibre and protein - about 8.9 grams in 100 grams (120g total in a pack). I'll eat again at around 12 and then again at like 3pm when mom is home. Then after I downed my (now with 7,8 % fat milk, because I found out I like it) coffee and let it digest for about an hour,  I did the entire beginner bodyweight circuit from here - plus stretching, in 25 minutes. So about a half an hour of workout. I am drenched and this is what I found:

1. I forgot the push ups the first time and had to do them right after the dumbbell rows - won't forget them again, doing two arm exercises at once is rough.
  2. 6 kilos for my dumbbell is too light, I did 20 each arm on the first circuit just to get a slight burn going. Have to go with the suitcase - 8 kilos and eventually I'll need to find another exercise that targets the same muscles.
  3. I felt like I wanted to die after circuit number 2, but I feel awesome after the 3rd. This will never cease to amaze me.
  4. I also found I stretched a lot further this time. Like a lot further, about 10 cm - almost 4 inches, more on one exercise. I also need to find a stretch that targets my spine well, that I can do. I had poor posture when I was in high school, and it creeps up after I've been sitting for a while, and I want to make sure it doesn't do any damage. I also need to figure out why I've had lower back pain all of a sudden, my problem is usually shoulder blade pain.

There ya go. This is me. Feel free to chime in with anything from support to advice, questions and yelling at me when I do something wrong. I'd like to do better, and well, as the title says, let myself kick ass.

• Like 3

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

Yay! I definitely feel like battle logs work better for some people vs the 4-5 week challenges. Hopefully you find this helpful! Even if I don't reach all of my goals, I do definitely find that having NF to check in to helps me maintain my progress. 

2 hours ago, Echocheanic said:

1. I felt like I wanted to die after circuit number 2, but I feel awesome after the 3rd. This will never cease to amaze me.

Sometimes this is the only thing that gets me to the gym, knowing I will feel awesome or at least satisfied when I'm done. :D 

• Like 1

Jǫrð, Delvian Nomad - Level 12 { Battle Log }

1 hour ago, Taddea Zhaan said:

Sometimes this is the only thing that gets me to the gym, knowing I will feel awesome or at least satisfied when I'm done. :D 

It's definitely one of the big reasons why I work out. If it wasn't for that I might not do it.

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

It was really hard to make myself exercise today. I was supposed to do it yesterday, but no dice. I did manage to, convincing myself it was only a half hour of work. 

Today's workout was 28 minutes - warm up and stretching included. I get really winded but recuperate really fast from it, so not sure if that is a problem, and if it is I have to figure out how to make it harder. I am used to workouts being 'I am going to die' hard.

I pay attention to my form a lot - I make sure my core is engaged when doing squats and that my head is level with my toes when going down, because if I am doing this, I might as well do it right.  I rediscovered my intense dislike for lunges. Next week I should try doing this three times a week and see if that will make it harder or not.

Also elevated push ups are still the hardest work out. Ironically the easiest is the plank - I have been doing 20 sec and even that is boring (I never thought I'd say that about a core exercise).

I am wondering if I should post what I eat here -  edit this post during the day. Just on the days I work out on. I can try today:

I got up late so my breakfast was a few corn cakes (more than 3) and instant coffee with milk.

My lunch (around 3pm) after I worked out was soup - it's called Alpine soup and it had some meatballs in it but i have no idea what kind and pasta. The bag contains 4 servings, and I ate two of those servings along with a slice and a half of bread - corn/wheat mix with sunflower seeds.

My... dinner? Not really dinner since it's 7pm, but I usually am hungry again at this time was a can of sardines and a slice and a half-ish rye bread (one of two kinds we buy depending on which one is at the store, they don't bloat or make me feel heavy like white bread does).

What I hope will be my last meal of the night - almost 11pm. 4 pieces of rye bread, some cheese (mixed) and 4 pieces of low fat (I like the taste better) pork prosciutto. And now I'm gonna go and get a banana. And drink some water.

• Like 1

My lack of willpower continues to the end of this week (just when I think of upping it to three times a week funny enough), but I made myself do it.

Today it was an almost 27 min circuit, and I recuperated even faster than before (like I finished with just a slight 'I've been working out' tiredness, I think this is helping my eidnurance by a lot, but I should be careful and track my weight so I don't lose any).

I should research other exercises today - I want to replace the lunges (I loathe them, my knees bruise easily) and maybe even up the difficulty on the squats a bit. I did a 20 sec plank each time because 15 sec doesn't do anything, so maybe added weight? Not sure. I am also not about to die on the elevated push up on circuit number 3, so that's progress. I've been watching my form and might try an actual push up next time (it will be less than 10, but if I can do one regular one - even if it's not all the way down, I'll be happy). 

Still posting what I eat. I'm gonna do this for next week too, but if I don't catch a pattern I'm not going to continue it.

Only had breakfast so far (and water). 2 and a quarter rye bread with cheese along with my coffee. This was maybe an hour before exercising. 

Lunch-ish - two fried eggs with leaks and cheese - the yellow melty kind, one and a half piece of rye bread and some pickles. This is a light meal for me.

Dinner - 2 or 3 1/2 rye bread and cheese - the white kind - we had nothing else in the fridge.

Midnight snack - I ate all the rice and popcorn cakes that were in the house. I was so hungry.

• Like 1

I finally exercised again.

I did 22min today (and about 5 min of stretching on top of that) and did only two circuits because I was trying something new. I did the regular Nerd fitness circuit but I added a 5 kilo backpack for the squats and the elevated push ups (I forgot to take it off at the first circuit so I just continued) and a 20 sec plank. I also replaced the lunges with Bulgarian split squats (20 each leg) and my legs are still mad at me. 

Tried a new routine today.

Current routine - did 2 circuits in 27 ish minutes - I need to work myself up to 3 again:

20 box pistols - did a bit more than 20 while I tried to figure out the right height and got the hang of it. At the end I needed to steady myself with one hand.

10 dumbbell rows with an 8 kilo suitcase

10 push ups - I can't go all the way down but I think I can get half way down with some practice. I don't shake, it's just my upper body is still the weakest part of my body.

15/20 sec plank

30 jumping jacks. 

I like this a lot more, regular squats were getting boring and lunges suck. Thanks to @Hazard for helping me figure out what I can do instead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Echocheanic said:

10 push ups - I can't go all the way down but I think I can get half way down with some practice. I don't shake, it's just my upper body is still the weakest part of my body.

Partial top-half pushups largely neglect the chest and shoulder muscles that are necessary for performing the bottom half of the exercise.  While the top half of the pushup is accomplished largely via triceps (arms)the bottom half of the pushup shifts the emphasis to the pecs (chest) and front deltoids (shoulders).  

I recommend doing pushups at an Incline height that allows you to perform the full range of motion (ROM) for the exercise.  Working the full ROM at a challenging-but-doable incline height will ensure all the muscles involved in a full (ROM) pushup are being proportionally strengthened.  As you find yourself getting stronger, move to subsequently lower incline heights to keep the exercise challenging.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

7 minutes ago, Hazard said:

As you find yourself getting stronger, move to subsequently lower incline heights to keep the exercise challenging.

Yeah I did the incline thing. They are too easy to do now, and I can't go lower (really, the one thing that is low enough at this point is a chair that I need to keep my hands really close together on and that shifts the muscle groups too, I might as well do diamond elevated push ups at that point). 

Oh, and also, I am not doing half push ups - I think that is what you mean by top-half push ups. I am on my toes, not on my knees, I just don't go as low as I think I should be. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Echocheanic said:

Yeah I did the incline thing. They are too easy to do now, and I can't go lower (really, the one thing that is low enough at this point is a chair that I need to keep my hands really close together on and that shifts the muscle groups too, I might as well do diamond elevated push ups at that point). 

What did you do Incline pushups on previously, that's taller than the chair?

I Stand With Gina Carano

7 minutes ago, Hazard said:

What did you do Incline pushups on previously, that's taller than the chair?

My desk. :) 

2 hours ago, Hazard said:

Is your desk long enough that you're able perform an Incline pushup on it with a Wide hand placement?  As in, hands farther apart than the standard pushup placement.

If you mean wide placement=hands wider than shoulder length, I already do that :D 

1 hour ago, Echocheanic said:

If you mean wide placement=hands wider than shoulder length, I already do that :D 

Yes, that's what I meant.  The standard placement is roughly shoulder length, or just a touch wider.   By increasing the width, more chest and shoulder musculature is recruited/worked, and the strength gained in those areas carries over to being able to do the bottom half ROM of a standard pushup.

The solution I was leaning toward was for you to do Wide hand pushups inclined on your desk on your first pass through circuit, and then do whatever pushup variation you can do on the chair or floor (whichever you prefer) for your 2nd, 3rd, etc. passes through the circuit.  But -- if you were already using a Wide hand placement on your desk before and found it became too easy, then I don't think that suggest would help much after all. 

So.  Considering your situation.  My next suggestion to help your pushups would be a mid-rep static hold.   It's a plank variation, and would fit best in the circuit in the Plank spot.   However -- I think it's worth getting your regular plank up to around 45 seconds before progressing to this one.

Until then, your best bet probably is to do what you did last workout.  Perform pushups as best as you can, focusing on lowering down on each rep as far you're able to with decent pushup form. 

• Like 1

I Stand With Gina Carano

11 minutes ago, Hazard said:

So.  Considering your situation.  My next suggestion to help your pushups would be a mid-rep static hold.   It's a plank variation, and would fit best in the circuit in the Plank spot.   However -- I think it's worth getting your regular plank up to around 45 seconds before progressing to this one.

I should test what my max plank is. It used to be 40 before the break, I might be able to do a static hold at least on one circuit. I think I'll try an even wider hand placement on the desk for the warm up, and see if it does any good, and proceed with going as low as I can on the floor for the circuits. I am usually just above the angle - the part where my upper arms and my back are even with each other - if that makes sense.

Thanks for all the help :)

• Like 1

Well, I did what I said I'd do. 21 minutes of exercise today (but I didn't time the warm up) - 3 circuits. The fact I am one exercise down now seems to motivate me even if it the same amount of work again.

The extra wide placement (as wide as I could get without lying flat against the desk) did nothing to make the elevated push ups harder, so sticking to doing as low as I can with good form on the regular push ups.

The circuit:

20 box pistols each leg - now that I know what I'm doing they went by faster, last time it was a mess.

10 dumbbell rows each hand - these are standard

10 push ups - these are progressing well, I can do 5ish in a row fast, then stop for a breath and crank out 5 more. According to the person that watched my form today, I go down to a 100 degree angle with my elbows, so not nearly as bad as I thought, but should get better.

15 sec plank - tried the static hold thing on my first circuit, managed to do 5 seconds twice - that is hard

Regular stretching to finish. Now I need to go and eat and then vacuum.

On 14/11/2017 at 6:32 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Ohai, found your log! Looks like you're off to a great start! :) 

Hi! Cool to see ya here!

I've technically been at it since May this year, but I took a break when I got sick and it knocked me back a few paces, so now I am trying this different approach with just my bodyweight. :) 

Today and yesterday I have been waking up early! 6:30 yesterday and 5:30 today. I think I have a backlog of sleep (I oversleep a lot) and my body is trying to spend it or something. Fine by me, I'd love if this was my constant.

Today I worked out at 8am, with the gloomy morning. Dancing/walking around the house to music for 30 min was my warm up.  21 min - ish circuit - I forgot to time till I was halfway done with my first box pistols. All of these, 3 times with no more than 10 second break between:

20 box pistols - I have been forgetting to say that it is 20 each leg, not 20 total. My height currently is my bed (at knee level) plus a thin blanket. I would lower it because it's too easy but I still don't have the balance right. Would lowering it help with the balance? I don't think so, but I might as well ask.

10 dumbbell rows - I need to add more books to my suitcase - 8 kilos is too little now.

10 push ups - I went lower today, but at the end of the last circuit my stomach and head drooped. No biggie, caught it.

30 sec plank - decided to up it. I used to be able to do 40, but nope, I couldn't handle more than 30.

jumping jacks - only did 30 the first time and didn't do any more. It was either loose this or wouldn't have the strength to stretch. My hands and wrists really felt it today.

All in all I am quite happy with how everything goes. Even my stretching is getting there, my knees are bending less and less.

• Like 3

It also is a great mood booster. Sometimes it's the only bright spot in a day. :)

Well, was going to exercise today, but I wound up doing two trips to the market and hauling a heavy cart and bags home so I just lifted it up and carried it up the 5 flights of stairs instead. That is all for today. 

• Like 1

New week. Warm up (I will need to up this one too), 33 minutes of 3 circuits plus stretching:

20 box pistols each leg - I can sit on the bed now and my balance is better. Focusing on pushing out with my heels.

10 dumbbell rows - 10 kilo suitcase now. Should have done this a long time ago, the 8 was so easy.

10 push ups - the debt of these will probably get better at the same time the 10 kilo suitcase starts getting easy.

30 sec plank - this wiped me out, I feel it the most in my arms.

30 jumping jacks

stretching - I can touch the floor with my nails now! And my knees are almost straight when I sit down with my back straight! The yoga tips I googled helped a lot. I am well on my way to not feeling like a stiff board.

I did a thing inspired by @Mad Hatter because I really needed to crack my back - I stood next to the wall and went into a backbend position while leaning on it - I figured if it works for push ups and handstands it could work for his too. I could stare directly at the wall, and my spine feels so relaxed now. Yay! I have been having problems with that a lot since my usual exercises are too easy now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The wall is definitely a good tool for stretching, lots of things you can do with it. :) 

And it's easy to find a wall and space next to it in the apartment. I'm excited to do it again next time I work out.