FORM CHECK: Stronglifts 5x5 B

Figured out how to record some sets. Will try to post them here, looking for any feedback on my form. This is my portions from this morning, B workout on stronglifts, week 4 first day. Figure it'd be better to get a form check early before a stall.

Squat

Squat set #1

Squat set #2

OH Press

Overhead Press video

Deadlift

Deadlift video

Apologies for the linking and not embedding the vids. I don't know how to do that. Best I can do is link to the vids on my google drive. -10 internets for me 

Thanks for the insight oh wise ones!

• Like 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

Nah, you got the vids up. Squat looks a touch high on the first vid but you broke parallel on the second. I can't quite see but it looks like you're on the balls of your feet and you're using high bar position. I was able to keep the weight more over midfoot/heels by dropping the bar a bit lower. This article goes over the high bar vs low bar question evenly if you wanna think about it. https://www.strongerbyscience.com/its-time-to-end-this-nonsense-high-bar-vs-low-bar-squatting/

The actual movements for each lift looked pretty good (except for the feet position in the squat mentioned in the previous post).

My feedback will be about your setup. It looks like you go straight into unracking the bar and into the lift (common across all videos).

Spend about 10-20 seconds bracing your body, getting your spine into a good position, get your midline stablized, then unrack the bar, spend another 10 seconds ensuring you are standing correctly, then start your lifts.

I suggest looking at resources from Mobility Wod. Look for midline stablization and squat set up.

@farflight I'm about to come at you with a lot of information, and I apologize, but bear with me.

Adding on to what @Laghail mentioned. Some of your issues will be resolved by taking those shoes off. They're squishy soled and that's going to affect your balance and drive when coming out of the hole. Squatting in your socks or lifting shoes will make a marked difference, but lifting shoes aren't a requirement for several hundred pounds yet.

Second note, you're not setting yourself before your squat. There's still a lot of movement before the exercise actually starts. Unrack, move to position, get set, then squat. You can also tie setting your feet as part of the move to position. It will help keep your knees from going too far forward.

Which brings me to my third and final squat note. Gotta move dat booty first! Seriously. Your hips and butt should start the downward motion, not your knees.  It will save your knees in the long run, as well as forcing your hips to work more, force them farther back and keep your knees from going too far forward.

I got nothing on the OHP other than who calls that Gym music? Good grief.

Alright. Deadlift. You've got two really big things you need to work on here. First is stop pulling with your arms. That first set almost transitioned into a Clean. Slow and Steady wins the deadlift race. Also, if you are moving weight that fast you need to add weight. Put those 45's on and drop that bar to the ground. You'll thank yourself later.

Second, and probably more important. Your shoulders MUST BE IN LINE WITH YOUR HIPS. I can't emphasize this enough. When you are supposed to be at lock out your shoulders are very much in front of your hips, and you are not locked out. Once you get heavier than that the weight will pull you down with it. And that's bad. Plus it encourages bad form, hips not fully extended, shoulders rolled forward, you're just asking for back problems down the road.

One more thing and I'm done. I promise. The bar on several of the reps is almost swinging out from your body it's so far away. Use your legs as the bar guide. Keep it close, it helps control the weight, prevent swinging, helps prevent injury, and eventually lets you really move that weight.

I know it's a lot to take in, but do it in pieces. Work on a single thing to improve, then when you feel comfortable, work on the next, and so on. You'll be rocking it soon enough.

"You're going to be amazing." 

Fantasy Football league 2019

The Grumble Battle Log

Spoiler

Books: 

Shows: 

Games: God of War, Kingdom Hearts 3, Destiny 2

Level 15  Wookie Warrior

6 hours ago, Grumble said:

who calls that Gym music? Good grief.

I go to the local YMCA, lots of christian/positive music. I hated myself for not having headphones that morning, lack of caffeine actually helped as I didn't pay attention to it. 

Your shoulders MUST BE IN LINE WITH YOUR HIPS.

I didn't notice that till you pointed it out, THANK YOU

Also, if you are moving weight that fast you need to add weight

Trying to follow the stronglifts recommendations of adding weight each workout. I'm sure I'll get to heavy sh!t soon enough.

Thank y'all for the input. I do this rotation again on Friday (I can input the squat input tomorrow, and start there). I'll update tomorrow with the barbell rows and bench press (I think I actually have it pretty down pat, but staying open minded).

I'll work on form for the next week or so then update with new vids.

Thanks again guys!

• Like 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

On 10/30/2017 at 12:52 PM, farflight said:

OH Press

Overhead Press video

You're arcing the bar, probably because you're setting up with your elbows behind the bar.

Watch the following.  Skip to 15:00 for the top performers.

1. Notice how their elbows are never behind the bar when the Press begins?
  2. And see how their bar goes pretty much straight up?
  3. Rewatch your own Press.  

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

On 10/31/2017 at 4:00 PM, farflight said:

Trying to follow the stronglifts recommendations of adding weight each workout. I'm sure I'll get to heavy sh!t soon enough.

No rush on it, you definitely will! Most of these folks are much more experienced than me, and their advice is super valuable, but the one thing I can offer as someone still working through this program and experiencing similar things, is, if the weight doesn't feel super challenging, take your time! The weight can move fast because it's light, but that doesn't mean it has to. If you're lifting super fast, and things are a little wobbly or whatever, just slow it down. Besides increasing your time under tension (and subsequently your strength), it will give you more time to master balancing the bar, and learning to read your body, which is hard and takes time and concentration! You will have plenty of time to work on the explosive motions that will help you through weight when it gets heavy. For now, it's all about practicing form and balance. If you can afford the strength to slow down a bit, either during the lift or between motions -- I often pause at the top lockout of my squat to mentally reinforce my cues -- I'd say do it. It helped me anyway, maybe it could help you. If the weight is challenging though, and slowing down would compromise your ability to complete your sets, keep up what you're doing as those fast motions will be helpful and as long as your form is safe, completing the sets is a high priority.

Very nice progress so far and good luck!

• Like 1

Stay awhile... we're liftin'