War of the Walkers [Open challenge Nov 7 - Nov 30]

Welcome to the not at all serious, but hopefully light-hearted and entertaining, War of the Walkers!

You can't be something you're not
Be yourself, by yourself
Stay away from me
A lesson learned in life
Known from the dawn of time
Respect, walk
Being a fan of Pantera is not required to join this challenge.
I just like the song :)

The war begins tomorrow, on November the 7th, and will end on November 30th. Among the expected casualties are Sedentary Lifestyle, Bad Habits, and Lame Excuses.

This challenge is open to anyone who wants to join, and our goal is to go for at least one walk every day. They don't have to be outside, if you have access to an indoor option like a long corridor or a treadmill, feel free to use that. Our goal here is to get up and move around at least once a day, not to force our way out into the freezing November weather and suffer the rain and sleet. The challenge will span a total of 23 days, and for every day you get up and walk at least once, you get a point. First one to 23 wins!

Wait. That's not going to work, is it?

Let me try this again: Get yourself to a total of 23 days with at least one walk, and you will win. The grand prize, for all lucky hard working winners, is the formation of a new and healthy habit. And bragging rights. Massive bragging rights.

To avoid confusion later on, here is the small number of simple rules all challengers who join will be expected to follow:

1. A walk is at least 10 minutes long. Feel free to go for longer, but you need to be up and moving around for at least ten minutes in a row. Talking for five minutes, taking a break and then walking for five more minutes, does not count as a walk for the purposes of this challenge.
  2. Only walking counts. Running, cycling, swimming, rollerblading, crawling, riding your combat trained mastiff into battle, or belly dancing for ten minutes, are all great things. However, doing any one of them will not give you credit towards this challenge.
  3. Walking twice tomorrow won't make up for a missed walk today. We're counting the number of days we get at least one walk done, not the number of walks we can fit in before the challenge ends.
  4. If you don't get a walk in during the day, you have to come here and tell everyone why. This is a very important rule. Equally important: No one is gong to mock you or be mean to you, no matter what the reason is. Challenging each other in PvP doesn't mean we are going to be jerks to each other about it. We're going to hold each other accountable, but we'll do it respectfully.

Progress goes on this spreadsheet. :)

Anyone who wants to join this challenge is welcome to do so. If you join after the 7th, simply count the days to find what your maximum number of points are going to be, and aim for that number.

Let's walk, everyone!

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Welcome to the not at all serious, but hopefully light-hearted and entertaining, War of the Walkers!   You can't be something you're not
Be yourself, by yourself
Stay away from me
A lesson learned in life
Respect, walk Being a fan of Pantera is not required to join this challenge.
I just like the song [emoji4]   The war begins tomorrow, on November the 7th, and will end on November 30th. Among the expected casualties are Sedentary Lifestyle, Bad Habits, and Lame Excuses.   This challenge is open to anyone who wants to join, and our goal is to go for at least one walk every day. They don't have to be outside, if you have access to an indoor option like a long corridor or a treadmill, feel free to use that. Our goal here is to get up and move around at least once a day, not to force our way out into the freezing November weather and suffer the rain and sleet. The challenge will span a total of 23 days, and for every day you get up and walk at least once, you get a point. First one to 23 wins!   Wait. That's not going to work, is it?   Let me try this again: Get yourself to a total of 23 days with at least one walk, and you will win. The grand prize, for all lucky hard working winners, is the formation of a new and healthy habit. And bragging rights. Massive bragging rights.   To avoid confusion later on, here is the small number of simple rules all challengers who join will be expected to follow:  
  1. A walk is at least 10 minutes long. Feel free to go for longer, but you need to be up and moving around for at least ten minutes in a row. Talking for five minutes, taking a break and then walking for five more minutes, does not count as a walk for the purposes of this challenge.
  2. Only walking counts. Running, cycling, swimming, rollerblading, crawling, riding your combat trained mastiff into battle, or belly dancing for ten minutes, are all great things. However, doing any one of them will not give you credit towards this challenge.
  3. Walking twice tomorrow won't make up for a missed walk today. We're counting the number of days we get at least one walk done, not the number of walks we can fit in before the challenge ends.
  4. If you don't get a walk in during the day, you have to come here and tell everyone why. This is a very important rule. Equally important: No one is gong to mock you or be mean to you, no matter what the reason is. Challenging each other in PvP doesn't mean we are going to be jerks to each other about it. We're going to hold each other accountable, but we'll do it respectfully.

Anyone who wants to join this challenge is welcome to do so. If you join after the 7th, simply count the days to find what your maximum number of points are going to be, and aim for that number.

Let's walk, everyone!

I would have loved this challenge! But I'm planning a week of non-walking because I got sick and recovering. At the moment I am so weak I can barely stand!

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

16 hours ago, scalyfreak said:
Welcome to the not at all serious, but hopefully light-hearted and entertaining, War of the Walkers!

You can't be something you're not
Be yourself, by yourself
Stay away from me
A lesson learned in life
Respect, walk
Being a fan of Pantera is not required to join this challenge.
I just like the song :)

The war begins tomorrow, on November the 7th, and will end on November 30th. Among the expected casualties are Sedentary Lifestyle, Bad Habits, and Lame Excuses.

This challenge is open to anyone who wants to join, and our goal is to go for at least one walk every day. They don't have to be outside, if you have access to an indoor option like a long corridor or a treadmill, feel free to use that. Our goal here is to get up and move around at least once a day, not to force our way out into the freezing November weather and suffer the rain and sleet. The challenge will span a total of 23 days, and for every day you get up and walk at least once, you get a point. First one to 23 wins!

Wait. That's not going to work, is it?

Let me try this again: Get yourself to a total of 23 days with at least one walk, and you will win. The grand prize, for all lucky hard working winners, is the formation of a new and healthy habit. And bragging rights. Massive bragging rights.

To avoid confusion later on, here is the small number of simple rules all challengers who join will be expected to follow:

Let's walk, everyone!

Joining! :) But how do we keep track on our progress? Do we need to have a unified spreadsheet for this? ^^

29 minutes ago, Jiah Faye said:

Joining! :) But how do we keep track on our progress? Do we need to have a unified spreadsheet for this? ^^

An excellent question. I wish I had an equally excellent answer.

I have a suggestion though: We track by posting here. For me, my number of days walked is now 1/23.

I check this forum every day anyway. If that works for everyone, I will update the  OP with how to track progress.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

I created a spread sheet for tracking and put a link in the first post. That should make it a lot easier.

Welcome, welcome!

The more, the merrier! :)

Great! Glad also that you're feeling better now. 

On 11/7/2017 at 5:19 AM, scalyfreak said:

Hey there @scalyfreak! I was wondering if I could still be able to fit in this criteria. As you know, I'm doing the ZR5k running app, and it says here no running involved. But there is a 10-minute walk warm-up at the beginning. Will it still be counted? 

25 minutes ago, Jiah Faye said:

Hey there @scalyfreak! I was wondering if I could still be able to fit in this criteria. As you know, I'm doing the ZR5k running app, and it says here no running involved. But there is a 10-minute walk warm-up at the beginning. Will it still be counted? 

Absolutely. And there's enough walking going on in that 5K to qualify.

I think I may have put your name on the sheet when I created it, actually.

• Like 1

Is she moving for good or just temporarily? Video calls are your best friend for staying in touch!

Reminder to everyone: Even though the official Nerd Fitness challenge period ends today, this particular challenge continues until November 30th.

Walk on, everyone. :)

I walked with the dog before starting the gravy I promised to bring this year.

I am in the same situation as you though, in that I will not get my 10,000 steps today. I am currently at 7,600 and about to go sit down to watch the evening football game. As you said, it happens. :) 

• Like 1

I've been telling several people in the First Challenge forum this already, but it seemed like a good idea to post it here as well:

When this challenge ends, I will start a new Daily Walks thread. That challenge will run from December 1st until at least a week past New Years, and I'm hoping lots of people join. The more, the merrier!

I've been telling several people in the First Challenge forum this already, but it seemed like a good idea to post it here as well:

When this challenge ends, I will start a new Daily Walks thread. That challenge will run from December 1st until at least a week past New Years, and I'm hoping lots of people join. The more, the merrier!
That's a great idea!
Can I suggest to add something on thought about our walks? Just to make it more interactive, but not too much :D

That's a great idea. I'll add something about that to the new challenge, when I post it. Do you think if that is mandatory it might discourage someone from joining? That wouldn't be a good thing.

That's a great idea. I'll add something about that to the new challenge, when I post it. Do you think if that is mandatory it might discourage someone from joining? That wouldn't be a good thing.
Don't know, but I would keep it relaxed, mainly because I am selfish and don't want to spend too much time writing [emoji14]

Anyway, again a bit of a lazy day with a 20min walk and 3km dusted. I felt so low this weekend!
  • Like 1

December challenge will start on the 5th of December, the first Monday of the month. Challenge thread is here: