• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Kae

Height and the Bench Press

Recommended Posts

Hey ya'll,

 

So I'm around 5' tall and have an issue when I'm bench pressing. Once I unrack the bar, then I'm able to get into a stable position and all is well. But, as my weights increase, I'm worried about actually unracking and racking the bar again. My arms are too short for me to be able to get into a good, stable form (arched back, planted feet, tensed body, etc.) before the weight is unracked. In order to unrack the weight I currently have to lift my shoulders off the bench by pushing them forward and slightly raising my back, otherwise I cannot reach.

 

Do any of ya'll have a similar issue? Have you found any creative ways to unrack and rack the bar again without having to completely loosen up and undo your form? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Kae said:

Do any of ya'll have a similar issue? Have you found any creative ways to unrack and rack the bar again without having to completely loosen up and undo your form? 

 

I do not have this issue. But your concern is totally valid and understandable. This is a horrible example, but look at using an adjustable bench (something like this). Note: example just to show you what I am talking about, please do not use that as any kind of endorsement of THAT bench.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have that issue at all, fortunately.

 

That said, this sounds like a great reason to use a spotter. If you are working out with a friend, maybe ask them to assist you only with unracking and racking the bar, for safety?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 11:22 AM, Sylvaa said:

 

I do not have this issue. But your concern is totally valid and understandable. This is a horrible example, but look at using an adjustable bench (something like this). Note: example just to show you what I am talking about, please do not use that as any kind of endorsement of THAT bench.

 

That's a good idea. Unfortunately it's not an option at my gym. I did try using the lower rack instead of the higher rack. It looked promising, but once I actually got under the bar I realized I would essentially be doing most of the concentric motion from an awkward angle to get into a starting position. Hmm...trade offs to consider between my current technique and that option. 

 

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:15 PM, scalyfreak said:

I don't have that issue at all, fortunately.

 

That said, this sounds like a great reason to use a spotter. If you are working out with a friend, maybe ask them to assist you only with unracking and racking the bar, for safety?

 

I wish I had someone to work out with. That's probably a good goal for myself because that honestly seems like the most likely solution so far.

 

Also, I just want to apologize for being so late in responding and thank you both for your suggestions. : ) I'm using my university gym currently and will be graduating this Spring. I may just have to deal as is and then make bench-height a serious concern of mine when searching for a gym after.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Kae said:

 

That's a good idea. Unfortunately it's not an option at my gym. I did try using the lower rack instead of the higher rack. It looked promising, but once I actually got under the bar I realized I would essentially be doing most of the concentric motion from an awkward angle to get into a starting position.

 

That doesn't sound like it would reduce injury risk at all!

 

At my gym, one of the chest press benches has a weird moving "bar holder". The bar goes on the upper rack (for me)and then I can pull the entire rack forward until the bar is held up be the rack, above my chest. When I lift the bar, the rack falls back into place. That means I can get to starting position by lifting the bar straight up - much preferred by the scalyfreak since that means I don't have to unrack it over my face and throat.

 

Look for one of those when you look for your next gym, maybe? I would also definitely ask about bench height. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Look for one of those when you look for your next gym, maybe? I would also definitely ask about bench height. 

 

I agree about the injury piece which is why I haven't used the lower rack since that first try. I would rather have to get into correct form after unracking the bar than that. That moveable rack sounds really neat! I will add that to my list of things to look into when I'm able to search for a new gym. Honestly, it's not the bench height so much because my feet can actually touch the ground with this bench (which is fairly rare). It's just that the two rack options are either too high or way too low. I might ask them about their rack height though, just so I can have that number in mind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or drag a bench over and chest pres in the squat rack or power rack, where you can control the racking height of the bar.

 

That's a major pain though, and sounds like something you shouldn't have to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 7:20 PM, scalyfreak said:

Or drag a bench over and chest pres in the squat rack or power rack, where you can control the racking height of the bar.

 

That's a major pain though, and sounds like something you shouldn't have to do.

 

Right. I think I'll have to go to the gym pretty late in the evening next semester so that may be an option then. Thank you for all of your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎26‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, Kae said:

 Honestly, it's not the bench height so much because my feet can actually touch the ground with this bench (which is fairly rare).

I've had this problem, I put plates under my feet to be able to get them on the "ground" properly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes one of the gym staff can serve as a spotter, depending on the gym. I'd explain my situation and ask about that, if you feel up to it. I know they'll do that at my gym.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just checking back around - I changed gyms and by a happy accident, I can rack and unrack the bar without lifting my shoulders off the bench! I'm thinking their benches are shorter (my feet can lay flat on the floor), as well as, where the bar racks. Hooray! I honestly tapped out of benching at my old gym and started doing calisthenics for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now