Juice Bar

Wobbegong

Welcome to the new challenge, the last one of 2017! Are you ready to close out the year with a bang?!

This is the Juice Bar, where Rebels come to hang out, talk, ask for and offer advice, and offer each other support and encouragement!  Talk about your goals, what brings you to Rebel (or what brings you back), what other guilds you've participated with or are considering joining, and what you love about NF!

Feel free to make yourselves comfortable in the Juice Bar, and welcome to the new challenge and the community!

QuerulousBewitchedEsok.gif

The challenge in this topic is: 

1. Say hi!

2. Post a gif

3. Tell us what your mundane superpower would be

**Your Rebel Guild Leaders are myself ( @Wobbegong ) and @zeroh13. Feel free to contact us anytime by tagging, quoting, or PMing us if you have any questions or need assistance and we will be happy to help!  If you want specific Nerd Fitness advice, ask us or try to talk to someone with 500+ posts under their name, as these people have been around a while. **

• Like 4

Hi, I will be joining on here again.

This is my 2.5 challenge (I joined my first challenge when it was half done :witless:

My mundane super power would be instantly knowing how many marbles/pins/candies/ect are in a jar.

giphy.gif

Also I have a question. How does everyone track their challenges?

The chart I used last time didn't work well, I don't really journal, and I am not used to logging on to the forum consistently. :witless:

• Like 5

I'm doing #1 and #2 at the same time:

Image result for bear hi gif

On 11/16/2017 at 3:34 PM, Wobbegong said:

mundane superpower would be

If I thought it was mundane then I wouldn't consider it a superpower, I *think*.  How about knowing exact measurements when cooking and baking; without needing a measuring spoon/cup?

• Like 4

Hi! This is my 1st Challenge. Ending the year with a bang.

My mundane superpower would be to see into the future.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Laoch: (lay-uk)  Gaelic word for Warrior

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you. - Gandalf
  • Why can't we have some meats? What about them? They're fresh....  - Snaga

1. Hello! I'm Wobbegong. 

tumblr_nad2hnN7VZ1qb2u78o1_400.gif

3. My mundane superpower would be climate control for myself and perhaps a radius large enough to encapsulate the people standing immediately beside me. I will never be too hot or too cold again! (Although I guess if I lost control of my superpower I would probably die.) 

• Like 3
24 minutes ago, PixiePrincessPea said:

The chart I used last time didn't work well, I don't really journal, and I am not used to logging on to the forum consistently. :witless:

Hmm. There are lots of different methods, but let's see if we can find something that will work well for you! 

Some people do just track in their challenge thread. Some people use google sheets to keep track -- it's like excel, but free to use and accessible online, so you can keep it with you on the go. Some people grab a journal and take notes. Some people use apps for certain parts of their challenge: for example, MyFitnessPal for nutrition, PlantNanny for hydration, another app for tracking runs or workouts, etc. Some people just set reminders/alarms on their phone and rely on that. Some people put a chart up on their bedroom door and mark their progress there: it's a very visible spot, so they can't miss it. 

What was the issue you had with the chart you used last time? Was it not handy enough, or not set up well for containing the data you wanted to track? Did you just forget? When you say you "don't really journal," is that "I hate journalling" or "I just don't do it right now, but I'm open to working on forming a habit"? Reflect on what it is you want from a tracker and what it is you're willing to put in to get that outcome, and also what's held you up in the past. That might help you figure out a way forward. 

• Like 2

1. Hey! Back Again!

2. Post a gif

giphy.gif

3. I totally wish my superpower was to finish all of those projects I started.....

5 hours ago, PixiePrincessPea said:

I don't track\chart.  I have enough such madness in my life LOL.  I track trends - am I doing what I set out to do? Is it working? Do I need to re-think?  Once I STOPPED all of the fine tuned tracking is when I started actually sticking around for challenges and seeing actual progress.  And really, other than steps\resting heart rate\Hours slept with my FitBit - I don't actually track ANYTHING else.  I don't even have a working scale.  My pants are fitting better - so I'm losing fat (and likely weight), my resting heart rate has been trending down (in the upper 60's rather than mid-70's) which means my cardio fitness is better, and with my recent doctor's visit, my BP is back SOLIDLY in the normal range - even ON a decongestant.  So I'm healthier overall and on a good trend so I know I'm on the right track for me.

Now - I know some people HAVE to track and I don't know if you're one of them - but I'm here to tell you that not everyone does :)  If you find it overwhelming, back off and only track one or 2 things.

• Like 5

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Hi, I'm Taoin! 

I introduced myself here in the last challenge. This will be my 3rd challenge although I should really post in my last one to grade myself. 

Um, mundane superpower would be knowing the lyrics to every single Wiggles and Lah Lah song (yes I have a toddler) 

And, ugh, still can't post a gif. Imagine a dancing baby groot...

• Like 4

Hi, I'm scalyfreak.

I eventually plan to join the Warrior guild, but until my ankle and arm heal enough to allow me to lift big heavy things properly again, I'm hanging out here in the Rebel forum. All other concerns aside, I'm just starting my transformation from sloth to super-badass, and this forum seems like a good fit for my first full challenge.

giphy.gif

My mundane superpower would be to be able to magically alter the fit of any piece of clothing I wear to fit me perfectly, in the most flattering way possible. :)

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Welcome to Rebel, scalyfreak! We're happy to have you for as long as you'd like to stay with us. I hope your ankle and arm feel better soon! Rebels do a lot of stretching, PT, and light exercise, so it's a nice place to hang out while you recover. Or just... forever, if you like. :D 

• Like 3

Hello! I am SeekingCassandra . . . my superpower would be to be able to upload gifs to the Nerdfitness forums without it telling me I can only upload a minuscule sized file.  found a great one too! It was a panda smooshing it's face against a fence and saying hello . . .

As for the tracking discussion, I played around with a few different methods until I found one I liked, which was surprisingly enough the last one I thought would work for me. So that would be my recommendation. Take your time and try all the different things, even the ones you think wouldn't work for you. 

• Like 5

Blog: https://seekingcassandra.blogspot.com/

Current Challenge:  SeekingCassandra is planning a comeback

Previous Challenge:

"One day, they may write about me as a traitor, a madwoman, a fool. And they may be right."

10 minutes ago, SeekingCassandra said:

my superpower would be to be able to upload gifs to the Nerdfitness forums without it telling me I can only upload a minuscule sized file.  found a great one too! It was a panda smooshing it's face against a fence and saying hello . . .

Idk how it is on mobile, but if you're on desktop you should be able to go to the Insert Other Media button and click "insert image from URL." Then just copy and paste the URL of the gif (the gif only, not the whole website the gif is from -- right click and select "open image in new tab") and it should work out. 

Unless it's a gif from giphy, which has been rude lately. If the insert thru url reds out your link and looks unwelcoming, change http --> https or https --> http and it should let you through. :rolleyes: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My gif is from Giphy. I put the URL into my post and it turned into the gif. Very handy. :) 

Thanks for the welcome, by the way! I plan to read all the stuff NF emailed me in the Welcome Packet, and then plan my next challenge.

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Your panda gif is working here on my laptop. Maybe your mobile device needs to learn how to play nice with others?

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

2 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

But it stopped working when I posted it? Or maybe it's cause I'm on mobile?

It's still working for me, but I've noticed it does that, for some reason it'll start looking like the gif didn't go through after all. It's very annoying and confusing. :/ 

• Like 2

giphy.gif

Hello all

My name is Bean Sidhe. I have been around a bit now. While I am not a mod, if you have questions or need ideas, feel free to tag or PM me. I cannot however deal with mod stuff, so that goes to Wobbegong and Zeroh13.

I don't know what my superpower would be. Unfun I know, but most days, I am just trying to get back to bed without going insane. That is hard enough in my life.

Looking forward to a new challenge with all of you.

• Like 5

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

20 hours ago, PixiePrincessPea said:

OKay, so I do like 3 different methods of tracking.

A) I Have a little blue book that I guess is a bullet journal. Its not pretty but just a grid that I can mark things off in.

b.) I have an app on my phone that serves 2 purposes. 1) it alarms to remind me to do things.  and 2) it is a checklist that I can mark if I did something or not in.

c) I am trying the spreadsheet thing since my challenges are point based. I am hoping this makes the math easier.

I know people have done sticker charts or post it notes by the place where they would do the goal that they put a tally on. If I get a chance, I will try to swing by your challenge and I may have a bit more suggestions (Sorry, mornings are weird around here)

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

I think I found something that will work for me. I found an app called Habitica. It will let me add tasks and such and I can set when they repeat, and which days they are to be done. Its RPG based, so I get XP for completing tasks. I could also lose health if I don't complete something. I think it also sends reminders. I'm testing it out this week. 

21 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

What was the issue you had with the chart you used last time? Was it not handy enough, or not set up well for containing the data you wanted to track? Did you just forget? When you say you "don't really journal," is that "I hate journalling" or "I just don't do it right now, but I'm open to working on forming a habit"? Reflect on what it is you want from a tracker and what it is you're willing to put in to get that outcome, and also what's held you up in the past. That might help you figure out a way forward. 

My chart was kind of blah and I kept forgetting to use it even though it was right by my sink in the kitchen. It is not that I hate journalling I just don't have the habit.

I think what I want is to be able to mark things off, have it with me to look at, and to be fun or at least nice to look at. I think the app I found will work.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I don't know what my superpower would be. Unfun I know, but most days, I am just trying to get back to bed without going insane. 

You're already a real-life superhero so I'll let you off the hook without inventing a mundane superpower. ;) 

• Like 2

I just noticed I have been upgraded from Newbie to Malcontent. My first level up! :triumphant:

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021