Wobbegong Settles In

Wobbegong

Unnecessary dichotomy poll #3  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Pens
    • Pencils

12 minutes ago, Wobbegong said:

My mom tried to convince me to deal with the lights on our new tree and I very carefully made it clear that there was a 0% chance of me sticking my face in that thing and molesting it for an hour. Just. No. 

I shouldn't find this funny, but I do. Hopefully she finds someone else to deal with it. 

Remind your mother that she would do a much better job with the lights, since her eye for spacing them is so much better than yours. If You did it, the lights would all be on one side.

Then you make her feel special and she can do it.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

On 12/18/2017 at 12:04 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

I shouldn't find this funny, but I do.

It was intended to be funny, in a grouchy way lol. I'm happy to have amused you. 

My ninja dad helped me get rid of most of my extra furniture today. He even made several comments along the lines of "I'm not sure I care what your mother thinks" in response to some of my nervousness. He's so reassuring. 

Mom came home, poked her head in to see the new emptiness of the space and said, "What are you planning to do in here, exercise?" Well... yeah, actually. That's not why I wanted to get rid of my furniture, but sure, I'll exercise in here. 

I feel like I got off light. She didn't comment at all on my hanging shelves replacing my dresser. But, you know, it's my mom, so I'm sure she'll complain about the changes to everyone else at Christmas. Sigh. 

• Like 3

More coyotes this morning! I think they were the same two I saw last time I was on the ridge. This time there was no one standing nearby with an off-leash dog, so I politely asked the coyotes if they would mind being photographed and snapped a couple of pictures. One of them was probably in the middle of hunting something but was being a super derp about it, just pouncing on everything. Maybe there was a gopher. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Yesterday my dad and I took two pieces of furniture I was trying to get rid of to Salvation Army (I know! I know. But there aren't other places in my area that accept furniture donations, at least not without crossing a toll bridge or county lines. AKA we need a convenient place or it won't happen). They were done taking donations for the day, so we tried Goodwill, but ours doesn't take furniture at all. We decided to try SA again in the morning, and if they wouldn't take it, it would be the dump. 

I am against putting furniture in the dump. It's not pretty, but it's perfectly serviceable. Someone could use it. A lot of people in our area lost everything in the fires recently, so there should be donation centers! But there aren't. I tried calling a church that has a soup kitchen, since their website says the offer pick up on furniture (they don't have a drop off center), but they said the soonest they could take it was Jan 9. We needed it to go pretty much right away. 

This morning we hit up SA as soon as they opened, but they told us they couldn't take furniture. The guy said, "Go see my friend Otis, down at the Away Station. It's the same parking lot as Fairfax Lumber." Fairfax is not super convenient, but my dad and I were both getting more set against the dump, so we hauled out there. Otis was very friendly and kind. He took our furniture and showed us around. He has a neat business going, and my dad was very interested in picking up some stuff there to use in our upcoming remodel. Dad was especially surprised to see all the doors and windows the Away Station had in stock. 

Otis' establishment didn't show up in any of my google searches for places to donate furniture (and I've been looking for months). Probably because the internet considers Fairfax to be kind of far away. But it just goes to show you, ask around, and take suggestions! Don't give up! Where there's a will, there's a way. 

• Like 5

To-do list for tomorrow because the more I think about it the more stuff there is and I don't want to forget but I also don't want to keep dealing with it right now: 

• Run! A nice long one, since no work.
  • Laundry
    • Clothes
    • Bedsheets
  • Break down under-bed boxes
    • Store in attic
  • Vacuum under bed
  • Move furniture
    • Bed --> under window (nobody talk to me about feng shui) 
    • Bookcase with fish tank --> wall where bed used to be
    • Shoe stacks --> next to bookcase
      • CLEAN THEM OMG
      • Oh also maybe wash vibrams again lol
  • Finish vacuuming
  • Finish cleaning fish tank
    • Refill fish tank
  • Mop
  • Shower
    • Shave
    • Nails
    • Eyebrows
  • Collect + sort final round of donation items
    • Deal with items in storage in attic?? Maybe. It would be nice to clear out some attic space for dad, he's been complaining. 
    • Don't forget:
      • Items in closet
      • Items in paper bag
      • Items on walls
    • Take items to donation center
      • While out, find someplace selling Bon Appetit and Vogue -- subscriptions taken care of, but I'd rather have some actual hard copy 'zines to give with the gift
  • Wrap as many Christmas gifts as possible, especially for Mom and Sister before they get home
    • Don't forget to label them lol
    • Also maybe wrap that box to make it look less ugly or like find a shoebox or something
  • Hang some art maybe?? 
  • Make bed, fold laundered clothes
  • Take out trash and recycling!
  • Other things?!?!

Wow that list is way longer than I thought no wonder I kept feeling like it was too much to remember at once. Cool. I can totally do all that in a day. 

• Like 2

Good luck with your to do list!
That sounds like a lot!
I actually wrapped Christmas presents yesterday ^^

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

Yay, the furniture is gone. Huge Happy Dance (Now that you have room to dance in). That must feel great. I am so glad that your dad was willing to help you and support your mother. And I am glad she didn't get too upset about it. And I am glad you found someone who was willing to take the furniture. We have a similar situation here and its even harder to get rid of toys. The only place that takes them within 30 miles is Goodwill, and while I hate giving it to them, I would rather not throw them away and I have no time for garage sales

As far as the to do list, it looks like you have been around me too long. That is a huge list but I know you will get it all done.

• Like 2

Things I forgot:

• Wash curtains
    • Hem them?!?! As long as they're down anyway...
    • Rehang curtains
  • Clean windows
    • Clean window screens
    • Replace window screens
  • Beta friend's fic exchange entry
  • Clean bed frame
  • Help Dad with Amazon Prime
  • Update Rebel Mini
  • There was something else but I've forgotten it again already
  • Like 2

You know, I'm pretty sure I see something on that list that everyone here would understand and forgive if you post-poned it until tomorrow... it's near the bottom of the list, right after the entry you've crossed off. :P 

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

4 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

You know, I'm pretty sure I see something on that list that everyone here would understand and forgive if you post-poned it until tomorrow... it's near the bottom of the list, right after the entry you've crossed off. :P 

We're still super behind on the mini though. We're supposed to be done in two days, and we have like three or four more posts. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

We're still super behind on the mini though. We're supposed to be done in two days, and we have like three or four more posts. 

You could of combined them into two posts, and we would of never known. Except, you know, you just told us. :P

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

2 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

You could of combined them into two posts, and we would of never known. Except, you know, you just told us. :P

The last couple of posts are already way longer than the rest of it (and faster paced, because I'm bad at endings) so if I combined them at all it would be super obvious lol. Besides, if I'd combined things, I'd feel like I was cheating. Even if no one else found out, I would know, and I would judge me. 

But I'll keep that in mind for next time, thanks ;) 

• Like 2

Well, I guess this challenge is over. 

Running - I didn't make it to 5x / week many times, but I did do a fair bit of visiting the open space. There were also several days, especially in this past week, where I didn't go out to the open space but I ended up doing a lot of walking anyway, so that was good. There were still too many days of nearly complete immobility, but overall I did ok on this goal. 

Eating - I stopped really trying midway through (along with... like... posting updates? lol) but actually this past week I did really well at it. I'm not going to go back and re-read earlier notes in this challenge right now but iirc I did pretty terribly at this to start, then did ok for a while, then stopped trying, then did really well without trying for a while. Kind of a bummer that this didn't work out as well as I'd've liked, but I'm not in the mood to feel down right now, so I'm going to call it a 50% success. 

Socialize - I knocked the irl side of this out of the park between saying yes to hanging out with friends and holiday parties, but my online presence pretty much went kaput this challenge. I know I kept up with things better than I thought early on, but especially the past two weeks or so I've basically just been lurking. Normally I wouldn't be too terribly upset about that but as a GL I definitely need to review my activity level on the forums and make sure to be a little more present. It's not like I wasn't around, I just wasn't really posting, so that's an easy enough fix. 

I have no idea if I'm going to make a new challenge thread or not. On the one hand, I kind of want to, because I have a streak going and it's great. On the other hand, I have no idea what I'd be doing. I really want to make a year-long goal and break it up into challenge-sized bites, but that takes time to put together and right now I just want to go vent in my battle log and then hit the hay. 

• Like 2

WEll you can always skip next challenge, or you could do a non-challenge challenge. I mean like go through and just maintain what you are working on. I love the idea of a year long goal, I just can't always see that far ahead. That plus my fear of "I blew this section, now the whole year is ruined" appears as well.

Anyway, I think you did great. And so what if the challenge is over. We restart soon. I haven't even looked at the end of my challenge since I still have a few rough weeks ahead.

*Hugs* I think you did great with everything going on. Sometimes the goal is to just do more than you were doing before, and I think you did that.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Sometimes the goal is to just do more than you were doing before, and I think you did that.

What a nice way of looking at things. I definitely did do more than I was doing before. That's so reassuring! Thanks, Bean. 

34 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

you can always skip next challenge

I guess? Tbh it might be better to take a break but I have a good challenge streak going and I don't want to break it. Also I worry that if I don't have a challenge I won't do anything at all. 

36 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

or you could do a non-challenge challenge. I mean like go through and just maintain what you are working on.

Maybe? I guess this current challenge could bear repeating. I did ok, of course, but not fantastic, and it'd be good to get some of these habits more cemented in. I'll think about it. 

39 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I love the idea of a year long goal, I just can't always see that far ahead. That plus my fear of "I blew this section, now the whole year is ruined" appears as wel

Well, I can't really see that far ahead either, but I can look back on where I was a year ago and think, "these are the things I wanted then, this is where I am now, if I had worked on those things then and all through the year maybe I would be closer to them now." And I know what I want now, so why not do that going forward? For example, I have no idea what country I'll be living in a year from now, but I know I want to lose about 40 lbs (to start) and I can do that anywhere. 40 lbs in a year is a bit of a push but it's not quite 1lb/week so it might actually be doable if I focus and pay attention and work at it EVERY week, instead of just haphazardly. 

Basically the plan is to figure out what I want, and then figure out what I will have to prioritize in order to get what I want, and then to make a plan to do those things incrementally in a non-overwhelming way, and then implement the plan. Generally speaking, I tend to toss a lot of nonsense into my challenges -- goals that seem reasonable at the time but don't really contribute to anything. So the idea is to overcome that with a little planning upfront. 

• Like 2

Center your next challenge on coming up with a plan for 2018. You could divide it up into categories and make each category a goal.

I'm still working on my 2018 plan. While I don't want to chart out an exact path, I know what direction I'm going.

I did a couple brainstorming sessions that were really helpful. The first one was writing down all of my goals for the year (or goals in general). Then I took three highlighters and color coded them based on my anxiety level related to that goal. I think for me that's going to be a better indication of how difficult the goal will be, rather than how technically difficult it is. Now I can build a more balanced challenge, with one hard goal and a few easier goals. And then I took another highlighter and circled the ones that I can start right now (the ones that don't require saving money or buying something or waiting on someone else).  I can work on these goals while I'm waiting/saving up for other goals.

Or you can use the next couple of weeks plan and then do the four week one, instead of the special five week one.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

What a nice way of looking at things. I definitely did do more than I was doing before. That's so reassuring! Thanks, Bean. 

I guess? Tbh it might be better to take a break but I have a good challenge streak going and I don't want to break it. Also I worry that if I don't have a challenge I won't do anything at all. 

Maybe? I guess this current challenge could bear repeating. I did ok, of course, but not fantastic, and it'd be good to get some of these habits more cemented in. I'll think about it. 

Well, I can't really see that far ahead either, but I can look back on where I was a year ago and think, "these are the things I wanted then, this is where I am now, if I had worked on those things then and all through the year maybe I would be closer to them now." And I know what I want now, so why not do that going forward? For example, I have no idea what country I'll be living in a year from now, but I know I want to lose about 40 lbs (to start) and I can do that anywhere. 40 lbs in a year is a bit of a push but it's not quite 1lb/week so it might actually be doable if I focus and pay attention and work at it EVERY week, instead of just haphazardly. 

Basically the plan is to figure out what I want, and then figure out what I will have to prioritize in order to get what I want, and then to make a plan to do those things incrementally in a non-overwhelming way, and then implement the plan. Generally speaking, I tend to toss a lot of nonsense into my challenges -- goals that seem reasonable at the time but don't really contribute to anything. So the idea is to overcome that with a little planning upfront. 

So I had been typing up a long response, and then the Agents came in, and somehow it got closed.

I say do what you think you can and want to do. I would love to say I need to lose 100+ lbs this year, and it could be doable, but I would not enjoy the process. So focus on maybe 20-30lbs which is more doable and allows a bit more flexibility for if you do change countries.

As far as how to look at it. I am trying to be nicer to me. I am trying to remember 10 leg lifts when I know I Can do 30 or 50 is still better than 0 leg lifts. ITs all about doing SOMETHING other than sitting around and doing nothing.

I say keep the streak alive, even if its a maintain and cement this sucker while working on what you want to do for the rest of the year. Maybe even make part of the challenge "Spend X time a day figuring out what I want to do this year" is a reasonable goal.

Do what you need to do. We are here for you

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Center your next challenge on coming up with a plan for 2018. You could divide it up into categories and make each category a goal.

You're amazingly logical. I'm always so impressed when you tell me things like this, because you write them as though they're so simple and obvious. I really like this idea, except it would have been better for a December challenge. I want to hit the ground running in 2018. 

I'm still working on my 2018 plan. While I don't want to chart out an exact path, I know what direction I'm going.

That's a good point, too. It's important to have some flexibility in the "how" and "to what extent" metrics, especially because if one challenge doesn't go well you might feel unprepared to move on to the next if you have everything too neatly planned out. I'll think about that. 

I did a couple brainstorming sessions that were really helpful. The first one was writing down all of my goals for the year (or goals in general). Then I took three highlighters and color coded them based on my anxiety level related to that goal. I think for me that's going to be a better indication of how difficult the goal will be, rather than how technically difficult it is. Now I can build a more balanced challenge, with one hard goal and a few easier goals. And then I took another highlighter and circled the ones that I can start right now (the ones that don't require saving money or buying something or waiting on someone else).  I can work on these goals while I'm waiting/saving up for other goals.

It sounds like you have a lot of goals. I wonder how many goals I have. I'm sure there's a distinction somewhere between goals and "if only"s but I'm not entirely sure what it is. Maybe goals are things you're willing to actually work on?    

Or you can use the next couple of weeks plan and then do the four week one, instead of the special five week one.

I'll probably do this. It's good of you to remind me that I should spend more time planning in advance, and not just slap a few ideas onto paper and take off. Slow and steady and all that. 

5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I say do what you think you can and want to do. I would love to say I need to lose 100+ lbs this year, and it could be doable, but I would not enjoy the process. So focus on maybe 20-30lbs which is more doable and allows a bit more flexibility for if you do change countries.

Yeah, smaller goals are probably better. On the one hand, 20 lbs is super duper doable and much more likely to be sustainable -- that's like 1.5 lbs a month. But on the other hand, 1.5 lbs is so little I'd stress about not being confident that it's a real weight change during measurements, since my weight (like most peoples) fluctuates drastically depending on time of day, time of week, and time of month. This is why it's important to take other measurements as well, of course, but even then I still wouldn't be confident that the numbers were real. I approve of slow and steady results, but at the same time I want confirmation upfront if what I'm doing is working at all. 

As far as how to look at it. I am trying to be nicer to me. I am trying to remember 10 leg lifts when I know I Can do 30 or 50 is still better than 0 leg lifts. ITs all about doing SOMETHING other than sitting around and doing nothing.

Idk. I tend to be a jerk to myself about many things, but I also am terrible about holding myself accountable. Like, I'll beat myself up if I didn't do something, but that doesn't change the fact that I haven't done it, it just makes me feel bad. So one thing I'm trying to work on is discipline, in all things. Following through with what I say I'll do. Holding fast to a schedule. Maintaining healthy boundaries. I am convinced that discipline is my holy grail. 

Do what you need to do. We are here for you

You're the best, Bean. You really are always here for me, and I do adore you for it. Thanks, lady. <3 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I'll probably do this. It's good of you to remind me that I should spend more time planning in advance, and not just slap a few ideas onto paper and take off. Slow and steady and all that. 

Not going to lie, I slap goals on paper and run too sometimes. Slow and steady works, but it does work better with a plan.

Yeah, smaller goals are probably better. On the one hand, 20 lbs is super duper doable and much more likely to be sustainable -- that's like 1.5 lbs a month. But on the other hand, 1.5 lbs is so little I'd stress about not being confident that it's a real weight change during measurements, since my weight (like most peoples) fluctuates drastically depending on time of day, time of week, and time of month. This is why it's important to take other measurements as well, of course, but even then I still wouldn't be confident that the numbers were real. I approve of slow and steady results, but at the same time I want confirmation upfront if what I'm doing is working at all. 

So go with 30 lbs. That is 2.5 lbs a month (give or take) and its enough you will see if your on track or not. And really, mine fluctuates too, but if you take it the same day of th week or month, it should be fairly constistant.  That being said, the measurements would be better, but yeah, I can never seem to line up in the same place 2 times in a row. so my numbers jump around horribly.  Confirmation is good, but remember, this is about the long term plan, of being better healthier, not just the weight loss. Otherwise it will come back when you stop working at it.

Idk. I tend to be a jerk to myself about many things, but I also am terrible about holding myself accountable. Like, I'll beat myself up if I didn't do something, but that doesn't change the fact that I haven't done it, it just makes me feel bad. So one thing I'm trying to work on is discipline, in all things. Following through with what I say I'll do. Holding fast to a schedule. Maintaining healthy boundaries. I am convinced that discipline is my holy grail. 

Hi, My name is Bean. I am right here with you dear. Why do you think I am so hard on myself. The world here only works so long as no one throws a wrench in it. Then it blows up in spectacular fashion. So best way to defend against wrenches, discipline and more than a small amount of hope that no one notices us. 

You're the best, Bean. You really are always here for me, and I do adore you for it. Thanks, lady. <3 

You are always here for me. So thank you for being around to remind me to not be dumb.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

It sounds like you have a lot of goals. I wonder how many goals I have. I'm sure there's a distinction somewhere between goals and "if only"s but I'm not entirely sure what it is. Maybe goals are things you're willing to actually work on?    

Is 20 a lot? Most of my goals are basic things I want to improve. Like, increase (overall) strength, pull-up, push-up, and split squat are four of the goals (technically three of those are sub-goals). One of my "have to wait on" goals is getting a new tattoo (which requires saving money). Same with driving.

I think goals are things you're able to take action on in some way (now or in the future). So, if a goal is something like "get accepted to XYZ program," well you are not the one deciding on if you get accepted, so there's a chance it won't happen no matter what you do. But the underlying goal actually is "apply to XYZ program" or "submit the best application you can to XYZ program". And then working on the application is something you can break down into steps. Basically, turn a dream (get accepted to program) into a SMART goal (apply to program).

• Like 2