Athaclena's Gonna Get The Hang Of This.... Eventually!

Athaclena

15 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

That company didn't have HR. Sexism, bullying, rampant racism against the only one poc were common and left ignored my managers because they were not real managers, they had no training or time allocated. So no wonder that the people who decided they could emigrate went fast. I stayed less than my probation! After that that manager started bullying my other manager and he left in other 6 months. He managed to lose 3-4 stones after leaving only by not being bullied and not severely overworking

Yep - high turnover is your "sign".  Sometimes you don't realize it until you're IN it.  I know early in your career it's hard to spot and you may feel like you need to "stick it out".  I have, in my various positions learned exactly how much I'm willing to "take".  Sometimes there are culture shifts in a job and you just have to be ready to leave.

Case in point - I worked for Cingular when AT&T took over.  Cingular was WONDERFUL.  I put in my 40 hours and went home.  Sure, there was some occasional overtime, but nothing unreasonable - and since I'd left a job where I was regularly working 100+ hour weeks - it was HEAVEN.  Salary wasn't bad and bonuses were great. Then AT&T took over - all of a sudden there were tons of duplicate departments and which department "stayed" was a race to show which one was best.  My work weeks jumped to 50 or 60 hours regularly.  Then came the last straw.  Boss came to me with a request from on high to some changes in the app.  I told him it'd take 80 hours so let me know 2 weeks in advance of when it needs to be delivered (this was on a Friday).  Monday morning he walks in and tells me it MUST be in Sunday night.  So - yep - 80 hour work week.  Near the end of that week (around Thursday if I recall), we have a meeting about progress.  Manager makes a crack about this being what it's like working in a production support environment (the 16 hour work days) - I didn't even think I just responded "yep, I know, lest we forget why I left my last job".  Dead silence in his office. My coworker that I was (and still am) close to could NOT believe I said that. But I was at the point I was already thinking it was time for me to bail.  Anywho - I got the changes in on time.  Monday, boss says "great job" - you deserve some comp time so let me know what day you want off and walked off. Right - so I put in 2 weeks of work so I get one day off?  I posted my resume that night - and was picky - and turned in my resignation w\in 2 weeks - because I was NOT going back to 80+ hour weeks every week. My next job was contract for a gov't agency where I wasn't allowed to work more than 40 hours a week. That was nice :)

• Like 3

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Yep - high turnover is your "sign".  Sometimes you don't realize it until you're IN it.  I know early in your career it's hard to spot and you may feel like you need to "stick it out".  I have, in my various positions learned exactly how much I'm willing to "take".  Sometimes there are culture shifts in a job and you just have to be ready to leave.

Case in point - I worked for Cingular when AT&T took over.  Cingular was WONDERFUL.  I put in my 40 hours and went home.  Sure, there was some occasional overtime, but nothing unreasonable - and since I'd left a job where I was regularly working 100+ hour weeks - it was HEAVEN.  Salary wasn't bad and bonuses were great. Then AT&T took over - all of a sudden there were tons of duplicate departments and which department "stayed" was a race to show which one was best.  My work weeks jumped to 50 or 60 hours regularly.  Then came the last straw.  Boss came to me with a request from on high to some changes in the app.  I told him it'd take 80 hours so let me know 2 weeks in advance of when it needs to be delivered (this was on a Friday).  Monday morning he walks in and tells me it MUST be in Sunday night.  So - yep - 80 hour work week.  Near the end of that week (around Thursday if I recall), we have a meeting about progress.  Manager makes a crack about this being what it's like working in a production support environment (the 16 hour work days) - I didn't even think I just responded "yep, I know, lest we forget why I left my last job".  Dead silence in his office. My coworker that I was (and still am) close to could NOT believe I said that. But I was at the point I was already thinking it was time for me to bail.  Anywho - I got the changes in on time.  Monday, boss says "great job" - you deserve some comp time so let me know what day you want off and walked off. Right - so I put in 2 weeks of work so I get one day off?  I posted my resume that night - and was picky - and turned in my resignation w\in 2 weeks - because I was NOT going back to 80+ hour weeks every week. My next job was contract for a gov't agency where I wasn't allowed to work more than 40 hours a week. That was nice [emoji4]
When I read this I do wonder how people survive in the US!
I knew the company was shitty (but not how shitty) but there were no other alternatives at that time because of the crisis. It took me 6 months unemplyment (luckily I was living witd my parents and they paid everything for me) to decide that I was going for that job as the manager wanted to work with me and offered me a position even before I applied. Then as soon as possible I left.
Now they are not busted yet, but they lost in court for pay discrimination, then they lost customer for not keeping up with the technology and for a startup that's, how can I say it, a bad sign.
But now I can be picky and my taste has formed well. I can recognise some of the signs even from the job description.
That's growing wise and stronger, and those experiences form who you are. I don't take shit anymore, don't even try
  • Like 3

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

On 12/3/2017 at 10:09 AM, Athaclena said:

I know early in your career it's hard to spot and you may feel like you need to "stick it out".  I have, in my various positions learned exactly how much I'm willing to "take".  Sometimes there are culture shifts in a job and you just have to be ready to leave.

I feel like my entire working life has just been one litmus test after another of how much shit I'm willing to tolerate. My current job is a huge mess both from a cultural and a business perspective, but it's gotten to the point that it's so bad it's kind of working out? (That sounds really terrible, I know.) I'm actively looking but it'll take a while to move on since my next career is teaching, so term start dates are relevant. In the meantime, I'm just chilling out at my current job collecting paychecks and waiting for them to go out of business. My workload is super light and I work from home full time so it's kind of a sweet deal, but it's also kind of embarrassing. Better than being jobless or working at Starbucks, I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3

I feel like my entire working life has just been one litmus test after another of how much shit I'm willing to tolerate. My current job is a huge mess both from a cultural and a business perspective, but it's gotten to the point that it's so bad it's kind of working out? (That sounds really terrible, I know.) I'm actively looking but it'll take a while to move on since my next career is teaching, so term start dates are relevant. In the meantime, I'm just chilling out at my current job collecting paychecks and waiting for them to go out of business. My workload is super light and I work from home full time so it's kind of a sweet deal, but it's also kind of embarrassing. Better than being jobless or working at Starbucks, I guess? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am always amazed at the amount of resilience human beings can have.

I'm sorry to hear that you are still in a bad work situation and that it takes so much time, but it's not always bad out there and you'll find a better job!
Hugs
  • Like 3

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I'm back from a week of Murphy.  I totally feel you guys on the work thing.  I too have stayed somewhere to "watch the train derail" to collect a paycheck.  Although it does help if you can be separated a bit by working from home :) I haven't had to go into an office every day for a long time, and I'm not quite sure I could go back to it.....

Anywho - got the database stuff fixed and the client is upgraded to the most current version - WOOT! Only took 4 days and I got back to Atlanta last night before the snow.  LOTS of BBQ - and a few too many carbs were consumed.  Otherwise things went better than I expected :)  I've let Management know that while I DID create a giant 6,000+ line script to fix the DB, there were other issues with the upgrade that were sufficient to not really be scriptable and just bank on me being available for the 2 days they're upgrading production.

Need to work more on my food stuff next week - but things should be less stressful - so that will help :) Just one more travel week this year to get through....

• Like 3

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

Quick check in for those of you that may be aware I'm in Atlanta. I'm actually in NW Atlanta where we got the most snow. A good 5-6" of HEAVY, WET snow. The result is lots of limbs and some trees down. We lost power about 7:15 this morning. I still made bacon & pancakes because I have a gas stove. And pulled out the mako pot to make Cafe Cubano - because why not :) Found one limitation with the stove though, it requires power for the oven to function. As much as I love convection, I'll not make that mistake again! When I design me new kitchen with dual ovens, one will need to be able to be used without power if needed.

The sun is finally out so I'm hoping most of this will melt and clear the roads so I can make my flight tomorrow. Now I just need the power to come back on because I didn't wash clothes yesterday and I think clean clothes would be good to have next week LOL.

15128359302417444702148246774321.jpg

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Do you have hot water at least?

You winter landscape looks beautiful, but losing power to it sounds like a royal pain.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

We have hot water as long as the insulation holds out LOL. It IS beautiful, but since I have to get to the airport tomorrow and the solid sheets of ice in the neighborhood will be problematic, hubby and I left the kitties with the roommate and headed to a hotel close to MARTA (Atlanta's subway train system) that didn't get quite so much snow. So I now have power and all the hot water I could want. I'd still rather be in my own bed because it's rare that I get to sleep in it LOL.

Work has agreed to cover the hotel and laundry (because I didn't get a chance to wash clothes). I was able to track down enough clean clothes for tomorrow and Monday at least :)

• Like 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Wow, that is a ton of snow. Hopefully you made it out of Atlanta okay. I keep waiting for our first big snowfall, but apparently we are too far north. (LOL). Here is to hoping your house gets power back before you get home. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Quick drive by with a snow\weekly update.

Last Saturday about 7:15am, the power went out.  When it wasn't on by 1pm, hubby & I made "the call" to pack up and head to the hotel - dirty clothes and all.  I called work to pre-approve a hotel expense because looking at the amount of snow + the fact that it was going down to 21F/-6C that night so it was going to re-freeze - HARD - and make it impossible for me to get to the airport.  So I got out Sunday afternoon and used the hotel laundry service (I was able to put together 1 clean outfit).  

I also either relapsed or caught ANOTHER cold.  Other than that, the training class in LA went and I have survived my last trip of the year.  WOOHOO!

I ate, um, ok.  I did keep up with morning shakes and probiotics, but that was about it.

I'm awake this early on a Saturday because our oldest kitty had a siezure this morning.  It's something we thought we had resolved.  He may have "gotten into" something.  I'm not sure, but he hasn't had one in a few years since we figured out beef in the can food caused it.  But he's in the same set of cans of food that he's been eating for almost a month (and has been eating for years since it didn't seem to cause any issues, and the cats all liked\ate it).  I'd HATE to think he's been having them when I'm not here and hubby is downstairs or sleeping.  I think we'd notice because his behavior changes, not to mention he evacuates his bowels and it should be obvious. *sigh* I've had 2 friends lose beloved pets the last couple of months, and we lost our oldest kitty earlier this year.  So I'm praying this isn't a sign of something else......

Anyhoo - I'm going to TRY to catch a bit more sleep this morning - I need it (especially since I AM sick).

• Sad 2

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Quick drive by....

1) Still sick. Ugh.  I've been EXHAUSTED and sleeping, like, 10-12 hours a night. It's now been a week, but I'll wait a few more days to see if there's improvement before I abort to seeing a doctor.  All mucus has been thin & clear so no signs of a secondary infection so I'll "deal" for now.

2) Kitty hasn't had any additional seizures, so I'm cautiously optimistic that whatever caused it was a one time thing. When he was having a few seizures a week it was heart breaking, especially when I wasn't home.....

3) Still doing my best to stay on top of the food thing.  Doing "ok" here.  Not being carb free but definitely fewer than "usual".  And my pants still fit - so - huzzah!

I'm going to kind of coast through this holiday season, being mindful of my food but not beat myself up.  It looks like I'm going to be home the first couple of weeks of the new year, so that will be a good time to really start focusing on getting in a workout.  I know I have to do that to increase my energy (that seems SO counter-intuitive) - but it's going to be necessary if we're going to actually reduce our load of crap and pack in anticipation of getting our shizzle together, sold and MOVE.  To that end, Saturday begins the "great purge".  I'm starting on the kitchen\dining side of the house and doing a purge\reorg.  If I don't need it, it's going.  If I want it enough to move it, but don't need it NOW (this will be VERY few things), it's getting packed for storage.  At the end, I shouldn't have ANYTHING that doesn't have a home in an actual cabinet\closet.

I foresee some trips to Goodwill, stuff posted on Craigslist (or Free Cycle), dropped off at my friend's used bookstore and simply tossed.  So expect all of my non-diet\health related goals to be in the clean\re-org bucket :)

Wed of next week hubby and I have a hotel (YAY hotel points) for 5 days in the Chattanooga, TN area and we're going to go exploring and try to get a handle of what property is for sale, where we should be looking, etc.  I WILL have a view of the mountains - dang it!  Spring of 2019 I will be sipping coffee in the mornings on my porch (or deck), listening to the birds sing with a mountain view - or BUST!

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

Still here! Cold finally resolved.  A migraine halted my Saturday plans, then I bailed on Sunday.  Today power went out - TWICE - for multiple hours.  But I've managed a Christmas miracle of a clean kitchen ready for me to make my family traditional Shrimp & Grits tonight.

I'll call this challenge a mild success, I didn't back slide in spite of crazy emergency trips & illness.  I'm looking forward to kicking off the new year right after a quick vacation bumming around Chattanooga the rest of this week.

Merry Christmas everyone!

• Like 3

My Recipe Thread

Spoiler

I am glad you are finally feeling better. I hope you had a good holiday and sometimes just not backsliding with everything you had going on is a huge step forward. Looking forward to your next challenge and seeing you rocking that one too.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Sometimes a stalemate is actually a victory.

As I like reminding myself, just because treading water doesn't move you forward, doesn't mean it's pointless. On the contrary actually. :)

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30