GK's inaugural Challenge

Hi there. I'm GodzillaKong, but you can call me GK. I am in my early 30s and overweight. I am a nerd who is crap at nerd things; enjoy gaming but I am soooo bad at it. I love to read and i love sci-fi (my favourite authors are Philip K Dick and Terry Pratchett).

I've had many aborted attempts at getting fitter and sooner or later they all fizzle out. I've enjoyed lifting bit never knew what to do (in terms of programming) and too often I've fallen into the trap of doing things I don't entirely find enjoyable; the stationary bike, HIIT. Anyway, a couple of months ago I had to find a new gym. As I was getting used to it, I remembered hearing about Stronglifts 5x5. So when I got home, I checked it out. The next time at the gym I tried it, enjoyed it and stuck with it for 10 weeks now. Never had so much fun in a gym! I won't say I'm a natural with a barbell, but it definitely feels... right.

With that in mind my Main Quest is purposely vague; see how far I can push myself. What are my limits? I've no idea what my body is capable of at this point. Let's find out.

My challenge quests are about helping me to succeed;

1) Sleep at least 7 hours a day. I've always struggled going to bed early enough. I'll try and change that.

2) Get my 5 a day. 5 portions of fruit and/or veg a day. Eating enough has never been a problem, it's always been what I'm eating.

3) Cut down caffeine consumption to 2 cups a day. God I love coffee. But I need to drink less.

Edit: forgot a challenge quest which is almost the most important.

4) stretch after every workout. I'm usually ok with lower body stretches but can be a bit lazy doing upper body stretches and my body is starting to pay for it this week, far too many aches and pains.

• Like 2

Great challenge GK and well chosen on the favorite authors. If you ever want a weird crossover, check out Pratchett's foray into science fiction that he wrote with Stephen Baxter. The last book in the series was partially affected by his decline towards the end of his life, but I think the series as a whole is some of his best work. 

Are you still running stronglifts?  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Great challenge GK and well chosen on the favorite authors. If you ever want a weird crossover, check out Pratchett's foray into science fiction that he wrote with Stephen Baxter. The last book in the series was partially affected by his decline towards the end of his life, but I think the series as a whole is some of his best work. 

Are you still running stronglifts?  

I've heard good things about it, but I'm holding off for now. The sooner I read it the less new Pratchett I'll have to read and that thought always makes me sad. 

I am, yes. Really enjoying it so far.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, GodzillaKong said:

I've heard good things about it, but I'm holding off for now. The sooner I read it the less new Pratchett I'll have to read and that thought always makes me sad. 

I know! Finishing the Shepherd's Crown made me sad on so many levels. It was obviously rushed as Pratchett's faculties were failing, and it was one of the last works he touched. RIP Sir Pratchett.

Image result for discworld 

• Like 1
Hi there. I'm GodzillaKong, but you can call me GK. I am in my early 30s and overweight. I am a nerd who is crap at nerd things; enjoy gaming but I am soooo bad at it. I love to read and i love sci-fi (my favourite authors are Philip K Dick and Terry Pratchett).

I've had many aborted attempts at getting fitter and sooner or later they all fizzle out. I've enjoyed lifting bit never knew what to do (in terms of programming) and too often I've fallen into the trap of doing things I don't entirely find enjoyable; the stationary bike, HIIT. Anyway, a couple of months ago I had to find a new gym. As I was getting used to it, I remembered hearing about Stronglifts 5x5. So when I got home, I checked it out. The next time at the gym I tried it, enjoyed it and stuck with it for 10 weeks now. Never had so much fun in a gym! I won't say I'm a natural with a barbell, but it definitely feels... right.

With that in mind my Main Quest is purposely vague; see how far I can push myself. What are my limits? I've no idea what my body is capable of at this point. Let's find out.

1) Sleep at least 7 hours a day. I've always struggled going to bed early enough. I'll try and change that.
2) Get my 5 a day. 5 portions of fruit and/or veg a day. Eating enough has never been a problem, it's always been what I'm eating.
3) Cut down caffeine consumption to 2 cups a day. God I love coffee. But I need to drink less.

Edit: forgot a challenge quest which is almost the most important.

4) stretch after every workout. I'm usually ok with lower body stretches but can be a bit lazy doing upper body stretches and my body is starting to pay for it this week, far too many aches and pains.

Good luck on the challenge, GK! You're #2 is what I meant in my post; although inward generic and said eat more veggies. I should really cut back on caffeine too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Laoch: (lay-uk)  Gaelic word for Warrior

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you. - Gandalf
  • Why can't we have some meats? What about them? They're fresh....  - Snaga

Good luck on your challenge GK!

I started lifting with Stronglifts 5x5.  Really great program.  I liked making improvements each day.  Nothing like linear progression. 

One thing in addition to stretching that has helped some of my aches and pains is warming up well.  Taking a few minutes to warm up well really gets you ready to lift. I'm still working on my patience to do that all the time, because sometimes I just want to get lifting.

• Like 1

Thanks Robo. Do you have any advice on what warm ups to do, especially upper body ones? That's where most of my aches are occurring (I'm having to give OHP a miss today because of a sharp pain in my upper arm in just one position). I do warm up sets, but beyond that I'm still experimenting with stretches and warm ups for anything above the waist (legs I seem to have hit on a formula that works).

1 hour ago, GodzillaKong said:

Do you have any advice on what warm ups to do, especially upper body ones? That's where most of my aches are occurring (I'm having to give OHP a miss today because of a sharp pain in my upper arm in just one position). I do warm up sets, but beyond that I'm still experimenting with stretches and warm ups for anything above the waist (legs I seem to have hit on a formula that works).

@RedStone had an awesome warmup routine too

• Like 1

stretches seem so Vague compared to these well defined lifting programs.

I struggle with this as well.

... so I find you op interesting.   You mention feeling that your workout might be giving you aches and pains.  is it possible you are overtraining? or does you app prevent that.  I know nothing of stronglift.  I think its wildly important that these exercise routines build us up.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

3 hours ago, TGP said:

stretches seem so Vague compared to these well defined lifting programs.

I struggle with this as well.

... so I find you op interesting.   You mention feeling that your workout might be giving you aches and pains.  is it possible you are overtraining? or does you app prevent that.  I know nothing of stronglift.  I think its wildly important that these exercise routines build us up.

Basically, Stronglifts is 3 days a week, 5 sets of 5 reps for 3 exercises a day, starting off light and adding 2.5kg every time you do an exercise. Sessions look like this: 

A. Squat, Bench, Bent-over row

B. Squat, OHP, Deadlift

So one week I'll do A on a Monday and Friday, B on a Wednesday. Then vice versa the next week and so on and so forth. It's a beginners program and there's enough recovery time I think. If it was overtraining I'd expect it to affect my lower body/back. However, I know that sometimes I'll cut the warm down short or miss it altogether. Even when I do it, my upper body warm up/downs aren't the best. That's why I'm assuming that its this that's causing the issues atm.

• Like 2

Welcome, fellow lover-of-Pratchett

the-luggage.jpg

I love the structure of Stronglifts. I am a Starting Strength girl myself, built on very similar principles (3 main lifts, increase weight on working set every time, alternate days). Dead simple and inarguably effective. 

• Like 3

“Writing is thinking. To write well is to think clearly. That's why it's so hard."

-David McCullough

2018 Walk to Mordor

2018 Read Harder Challenge                                                                                                                                        

2018 Level-Up Plans                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           Battle Log

11 hours ago, GodzillaKong said:

Thanks Robo. Do you have any advice on what warm ups to do, especially upper body ones? That's where most of my aches are occurring (I'm having to give OHP a miss today because of a sharp pain in my upper arm in just one position). I do warm up sets, but beyond that I'm still experimenting with stretches and warm ups for anything above the waist (legs I seem to have hit on a formula that works).

It's funny that I do warm ups for everything below the waist, not so much above the waist.  I do a lot of warm up sets for that.  I hurt my shoulder benching a long time ago and had to take a break.  I moved my grip in much closer and my shoulder hasn't bothered me since.  For below the waist, I was recommended Joe Defranco's Agile 8.  There's a lot of foam rolling which I'm not into, but I do like the other exercises.  He also has an upper body Simple 6, maybe take a look at that.

• Like 1
On 11/20/2017 at 4:56 PM, GodzillaKong said:

With that in mind my Main Quest is purposely vague; see how far I can push myself.

1. Sleep at least 7 hours a day
  2. 5 portions of fruit and/or veg a day
  3. Cut down caffeine consumption to 2 cups a day (coffee)
  4. stretch after every workout

Hi GK!  Welcome to the game!

All of your challenge quests look good.  :encouragement:

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

On 21/11/2017 at 10:57 PM, Gemma said:

Welcome, fellow lover-of-Pratchett

the-luggage.jpg

I love the structure of Stronglifts. I am a Starting Strength girl myself, built on very similar principles (3 main lifts, increase weight on working set every time, alternate days). Dead simple and inarguably effective. 

Nooo! Not the luggage!! *Runs away screaming*

I'm loving it so far, especially the structure, agreed. I'd go so far as to say it's been revelatory for me: I've always read that I should have a plan going into the gym and I thought I did but only ever for that session, never for session after session, week after week. 

• Like 1

My second gym session of the challenge and already I can feel the benefits of stringing together a few nights of decent sleep; even though I'm squatting more, I'm not feeling as close to pushing maximum. Little tweak in form has helped as well.

Not all good news. Decided to put my OHP on the shelf until the new year. The pain in my arm as I push overhead (be it a barbell or putting my bag onto a high shelf) hasn't gone away and it's really quite limiting. Will try and get a doctor's appointment to get a professional look at it, but i think discretion is the better part of valour here.

• Like 1

A mixed day today. Didnt sleep long enough. Ate well, but probably not enough (forgot my pre-gym snack). Managed to get my 5x5 squat to 110kg (despite failing my second set due to distraction - there is a special place in hell for people who take plates off the power rack you're using whilst you're in the middle of your set!) but couldn't even finish my 3rd set of bench press at 77.5 which is especially gutting as a few years ago, when I had no idea what I was doing I could do 80kg without too many problems, albeit without 5 sets of squats beforehand. 

All in all, just felt 'off' all day. Must work on getting more sleep.

• Like 2