Unexpected changes and eye bags...

Saorsa

Anyone else experience unexpected, wanted or unwanted, changes from losing weight? I have gained eye bags after losing 55 lbs. :( They will not go away and I'm not finding much help on other sites about it.

I've also lost a shoe size. And I'm struggling to feel thinner as well. My boyfriend pointed out the other day that my clothes are way too big, but it's like my brain isn't accepting it.

Character | Twitter | IG

"The brave men did not kill dragons. The brave men rode them." - GoT

I've never heard of someone getting eye bags from losing weight.  Are you sure you're not doing a whole lot more now than you have in the past, and not getting enough or as much rest as you did pre-weight loss?  Or is it possible you're mistaking that you can now see your cheekbones/eye orbit, when you couldn't before?  (I still marvel sometimes that I have both cheekbones and a clavicle.) . And the shoe size thing isn't uncommon, actually.  Feet can store fat, so lose enough weight and you can lose a shoe size because your foot literally shrinks.

That said, yea, brains are dumb.  It took me YEARS to come to terms with the fact that I wasn't the Fat Guy.  Even now I have moments when my brain tries to tell me I'm fat - and I'm sitting very lazily at ~17% body fat.  It's a side effect of losing weight, and I don't think I've talked to a single person who hasn't struggled with their brain not catching up to the reality.

Best I can offer is listen to your boyfriend, find some new clothes that fit better, and keep chugging along.  Eventually the brain will catch up, but it's a slog.  Also Brains tend to be assholes and flair up with stupid thoughts.  Just ignore it.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

@RisenPhoenix I've heard a few people mention it (like a cosmetic doctor on youtube), but it's hard to find people talking about it. Most sites I look into blame smoking or sleeping too little or getting old. I was never a heavy smoker and I quit what little I was smoking years ago. I'm only 30. I'm not old. And I'm pretty sure I'm getting enough sleep. It's not perfect sleep, but it's 6 to 8 hours every night. I have been seeing more changes on my face than I expected and it's weirding me out. The eye bags are serious though. More like eye tote bags. Good to know the foot thing is normal! 

Thanks. I'm going to keep up the work. I mean, if bags happen...they happen. I might have to visit a doctor, but I'd rather deal with that then being overweight and unhappy. 

• Like 2

Character | Twitter | IG

2 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

I have been seeing more changes on my face than I expected and it's weirding me out.

Oh, I get that.  I am still shocked I have a jaw line most days. It's kind of awkward, because I'll sometimes be caught checking myself out in the mirror, mostly because it's from disbelief that it's still there.  Especially on my days when Fat RP Brain kicks in.

The eye bags are strange, though.  It also might just be loose skin from losing the weight.  Which if you keep at it might tighten up.  Dunno.

• Like 2

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

26 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Also Brains tend to be assholes and flair up with stupid thoughts.  Just ignore it.

BweCgKxIMAAg2Uk.jpg

Agree 100% with RisenP. People tell me all the time that "I've lost weight" and I just don't really ever see it. I've tried getting into the habit of looking at old baseline photos and taking progress pics every month or two. Case in point, I'm FINALLY starting to believe that my "hate handles" are getting smaller.

• Like 2

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

@RisenPhoenix @farflight Alright, alright. Fair enough. I do keep having moments when I look at new pictures of myself and I'm confused for half a second. Like, I'm thinking, "who dat b?" before I realize it's me. Maybe I should give it more time before I start visiting a plastic surgeon. 

Character | Twitter | IG

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:56 PM, Saorsa said:

Maybe I should give it more time before I start visiting a plastic surgeon. 

Definitely! :D  55lbs is a lot, amazingly well done you, but it's also a lot for your body to deal with.  It needs time to process the changes and tighten back up.  It is especially important that you eat healthy essential fats and enough (but not too much) protein, including collagen, to help your skin and connective tissue renew and refresh.  Oh, and plenty of water, of course!

I have also experienced a phase of eye bags, but I thought they were age-related (I'm 47), however they have by now reduced.  My body has been going through a lot of changes from fat loss and muscle gain in the last 2.5 years or so.  I'm 88 lbs down, and still have 10-20 to shed.  Have you reached a healthy weight range?

• Like 2

Level 16 Warrior Druidess

Walk FROM Mordor   Challenges: Current (#17)   Previous (#1-16)

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

@Vibrantella Random, but nice avatar btw! I love Xena.

Thank you. It doesn't feel as amazing as I thought it would. It happened so slowly that I didn't really realize that I'd lost so much until my clothes stopped fitting. Then my ring fell off. I can't wear my ring anymore. Holy Fudge. I've been focused on the scale and reaching a certain number that ...I don't know...it just hit me. I took some pictures this weekend and I see the change now. I'm happy, but I'm not feeling as euphoric as I anticipated. 

Anyway, I do feel like I see more wrinkles. I have minimal stretch marks and no loose skin...but I see wrinkles and I feel like my skin is squishier? If that makes sense? I can push on my arm or belly and see wrinkles. WTF. I've been using lotion daily now, trying to drink more water, and hoping it improves. The eye bags though...gaw, I wish they'd go away. I know the skin around the eyes is very delicate. :\ Maybe I need to wait another year and see if it improves. I have about another 10 more lbs to lose. I'm in the healthy range for my height now. I'm 5"5' at 135 lbs. I'm aiming for 125, then I'm going to invest in weight training and maintaining...knowing the scale might go back up, but in muscle not fat. I want to be strong and healthy. 

Oh, I wasn't eating enough protein so I've increased that over the past two weeks and feel much better energy wise.

• Like 2

Character | Twitter | IG

5 hours ago, Saorsa said:

I'm aiming for 125, then I'm going to invest in weight training and maintaining...knowing the scale might go back up, but in muscle not fat. I want to be strong and healthy. 

Why wait?  Building muscle is going to give you a metabolic advantage when it comes to shedding fat, and a better body shape.  

Great that you've increased protein, but don't forget the healthy fats!  Also, can you make a before/after pic comparison, if only for yourself?  It's even better if you share it with (some) people, but just looking at it should help elicit the "Wow!"

• Like 4

Keto:  https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto      Fasting:  https://idmprogram.com/tag/fasting/

@VibrantellaCan I work on muscle strength while trying to lose a bit more fat at the same time? 

I've been reducing carbs and eating more fats. I have PCOS so the lower carb thing is working for me. I've been nervous about sharing before and after photos. I might do it here on NF...but on other social media I don't think I could handle the comments, good or bad. It's scary to put myself out there.

Character | Twitter | IG

Just now, Saorsa said:

Can I work on muscle strength while trying to lose a bit more fat at the same time?

I'm not Vibrantella, but I can share.

I sure hope you can lose fat while strength training...that's been my goal/habit for the past 13 months. From reading the boards, as long as you (and me) maintain a calorie deficit, we should see fat go away. The benefit of doing strength training is that we "hold on" to more of the muscle in the process (read: we might lose a little muscle but not as much as if we just did calorie deficit). 

Personal example: I've been "cutting" for 4 years. First 3 years were just diet changes and small walks. Started bodyweight strength training last september (NF beginner's bodyweight). While maintaining a calorie deficit, I had to start making the exercises harder (i.e. added dumbbells to squats and increased weight from 8lb cat litter box to 40+ dumbbells on bent rows). My theory...since I had to make the exercises harder...I was getting stronger while losing weight (I'm assuming it was fat). 

Now I'm still "cutting" or running a 100-500 calorie deficit a day and doing stronglifts. 

• Like 1

@farflight Thanks! It makes sense when you say it that way. I'm wanting to get into hiking too. Doing cardio doesn't seem to do it for me anymore. It's like I'm trying super hard to burn a few calories. I don't mind strength training or dance or running (sometimes). Lifting weights sounds hard but fun. 

Character | Twitter | IG

39 minutes ago, Saorsa said:

@farflight Thanks! It makes sense when you say it that way. I'm wanting to get into hiking too. Doing cardio doesn't seem to do it for me anymore. It's like I'm trying super hard to burn a few calories. I don't mind strength training or dance or running (sometimes). Lifting weights sounds hard but fun. 

76bAo.gif

The program I am using (stronglifts) started easy (since it was empty bar start off), but it gets harder quickly (already had a stall on OHP and I forsee a stall coming on squat (at 170 this morning)). The biggest "problem" with lifting...it's addictive...looking at 210 lbs on a bar (deadlift) and saying..."Yea...I moved that..."

image.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Saorsa said:

Can I work on muscle strength while trying to lose a bit more fat at the same time? 

Absolutely!  It would be difficult to "bulk up" and lose fat at the same time, but I don't suppose you're really looking to do that, are you?  Strengthening muscles can be done without extra calories, and I have done it too, in the last year, whilst shedding fat (as evidenced by DEXA scanning).  Now, if you want to look like the Hulk, you will need the extra calories with your weight training (plus some kind of green dye)! :D 

Cardio is also important, but dancing and occasional running/sprinting sound just right.  Also, lifting weights is fun!

ETA: Great that you're lowering the carbs for PCOS, it's one of the metabolic disorders based on insulin resistance.  I used to have it, and T2 diabetes, and low carb / keto reversed them.

• Like 2

If you can't get to one or can't afford one, you can do bodyweight workouts, which people tend to assume aren't hard, but they are. The key is building that muscle.

You can also buy a set of dumbbells or kettlebells depending on your workout desires. If you have the money, you can get a set of adjustable dumbbells, which are worth the investment, or they have been for me.

Someone from Warriors or Rangers can probably provide a better breakdown of the pros and cons of each plan. But you're not limited to a gym, if that is something that brings up concerns.

• Like 1

We (wife and I) joined a gym cause she wanted to use their pool...still waiting for that to happen.

On 12/15/2017 at 9:02 AM, Cataleya said:

you can do bodyweight workouts,

Prior to joining the gym, I began with the NF beginner's bodyweight circuit. It did some good pain time for me. I started off with essentially nothing by my bodyweight. For several months I kept at it, 3x/week religiously. My first "weight" for bent rows was a box of cat litter (seriously). Eventually, for a birthday present, I got the bowflex dial weight set. 2 dumbbells that could adjust from ~5 lbs up to 52.5. Continued with those through about 6-8 months. Started using the gym when I needed dumbbells bigger than 52.5 lbs. 

Then started stronglifts. 

Bodyweight is a GREAT place to start. The only problem with bodyweight circuits is that you have a lot more difficulty coming up with excuses not to workout. If I had 30-40 minutes, I literally had NO EXCUSE not to workout. I was like..."oh its raining outside" then the healthy person in me said "....so...you can workout here..." so I did. 

The important thing is to find something that fits your schedule and then keep at it

• Like 2