• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CallunaTook

Lucky Streak

I am feeling rejuvenated and motivated after last Challenge. Taking it easy is a bummer, but it’s nice to have an excuse to be less achy. I don’t mind hurting so long as I’m not creating or exacerbating an injury, but it’s still a relief. I’m also reminding myself of the light exercise I can safely do, and there was more variety than I thought, which is cheering me up. I succeeded at adapting to the new 4-day, early-rise workweek. I even woke up early on Sunday without an alarm clock set. I actually prefer working longer days because I get bigger blocks of time to concentrate without interruption, and the “secret” day off for nonsocial time is perfect. I’m prepped and ready to conquer whatever.

I’m going into this challenge feeling extra thankful. The Thanksgiving holiday is, honestly, just a coincidence. Much to my relief, my favorite cousin was sent home early from deployment, safe and sound, from a war zone. My roommate just returned from his overseas mission trip. My nephew has finally started doing well in school, and may get to move up a grade after all. My uncle has a new home. Dad has new teeth. My best friend (my dog) is recovering from surgery and has a new knee. I have some new treatment options to explore for my gimp joints. I have no complaints and I’m going to enjoy the sh@$ out of this lucky streak while it’s here. Lots of fresh starts. Lots of energy for the new challenge.

I'm attaching a portrait of my bestie. She’s beautiful and perfect. Her tail is blurry because it is ALWAYS WAGGING. I'm not sure how to insert it, so attachment it is. 

I’m ready to start it early. I will just call this WEEK ZERO. And, since I was not prepared to go hiking Sunday, it will start Monday.

I’ve done enough challenges in a row both here and elsewhere that they are starting to feel dull, so I’m adding a reward for each one.

For this challenge:

Fitness/Diet Quests

Stick to exercise plan:

Saturday: 30 minute yoga, body weight, or stretch

Sunday: 30+ minute outdoor hike

Monday: 30 minute walk

Tuesday: 30 minute walk

Weds: Free

Thursday: 30 minute walk

Friday: 30 minute yoga, body weight, or stretch

Reward: Check off “Don't miss 2 in a row, for 1 month” (NF Academy). Schedule some leisure book time at a coffee shop. 

Meditate every day

Reward: After 2 weeks, check NF Ac. Quest. After 4 weeks, go to a public session and learn a new meditation.

Level Up Your Life Quest

Organize office boxes full of random stuff

Reward: Do woodburning or other craft

Epic Quest

Prep framed backpack

Reward: Schedule a half-day hike

I also win special loot if I complete every quest:

I get to take money out of my fitness savings account and schedule a massage! *squee*  That will be a great treat.

(It will be a major award)

Image result for leg lamp

Untitled.jpg

• Like 4

PUPPY!

I will be following you again this challenge. I'm super excited to see that you are moving forward even with your exercise speed bump. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Glad to hear there is a lucky streak and as long as willpower and conviction are forged, whenever luck runs out; you'll have a solid base to work from.

Week 0 went well. 

Meditating every day is still a challenge, but I am improving at remembering to get it done. I've tried a few different versions and I'm not sure what benefit it's doing, but this is why we practice. 

Successfully stuck to the new exercise routine. 

Started organizing the office boxes. 

Have not yet begun working on my hiking backpack. 

Survived Thanksgiving. The food was ok. Ordered a couple more Christmas gifts. 

Also, our household has started an Adventures jar. It lives on one of our counters, next to the coffee pot. When we think of an appropriate adventure, we write it down and drop it in the adventure jar. At the end of the year, we'll go through it together and pick out an adventure for our 2018 Big Vacation.  If this is a success, we may keep the jar out as a permanent fixture. We'll see. I keep wanting to peek in it to read what the hubby has contributed. 

2IMAG0782.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/26/2017 at 5:05 PM, CallunaTook said:

Week 0 went well.

Woot!

Meditating every day is still a challenge, but I am improving at remembering to get it done. I've tried a few different versions and I'm not sure what benefit it's doing, but this is why we practice.

Remember that it's really about focus and mindfulness, taking a moment to draw your attention away from the business and chaos that surrounds you and focus on one thing, whether that be your breath, and object, a mantra or word, a picture. Even if you sit down and do one thing and only that one thing, you are practicing mindfulness and (in a sense) meditation. This can be for 5 seconds or 5 hours. But, of course there are variations of a convicting quote that say something like this: the busier you are the longer you should be meditating.

Also, our household has started an Adventures jar.

That's pretty awesome!

• Like 1

Thank you everybody for the encouragement!

8 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Remember that it's really about focus and mindfulness, taking a moment to draw your attention away from the business and chaos that surrounds you and focus on one thing, whether that be your breath, and object, a mantra or word, a picture. Even if you sit down and do one thing and only that one thing, you are practicing mindfulness and (in a sense) meditation. This can be for 5 seconds or 5 hours. But, of course there are variations of a convicting quote that say something like this: the busier you are the longer you should be meditating.

That's very helpful. Thank you. Based on that... I probably did fit a little on on a couple of my missed days!  (including the day I tried to meditate, and then fell asleep... har) And I will keep that in mind on the busier days also.

My exercise goals have to be adjusted for the remainder of the challenge.

I was able to visit my new therapist today, and I have new activity directions. 

No bending over, careful sitting, and the only exercise I am allowed to do is walking; 20+ minutes a day, every day. 

So Wednesdays are no longer free days, and Friday and Saturday is no longer light non-walking exercise day. The rest, including the short weekly hike, is still ok - I'll just have to be careful to stick with the easy urban walking trails for now. 

I pulled out my state hiking trail book, and it has a list of urban trails with length and terrain descriptors. I figure I'll do a different one in my city each week, until I get through all of them, and then branch out and hit the ones in the suburbs as well. When we travel to another city for Christmas, I can hit one in that city, too. I'll pencil the dates in on the pages so I can remember which ones I did later on.That way it will still be adventure-y. :-) Hopefully when I get done with that, I'll be on fewer activity restrictions. I have a goal to someday check off every trail in the book. I'm not sure what the longest one is, but I'm sure there are some over-nighter's in there. 

In better news, I am feeling pretty good about this new therapist. For one, after a 3-5 year experience with this joint dysfunction, this treatment is actually the only thing left I'm aware of that I have not tried aside from surgery. And that means it has to work, right? Because we aren't doing surgery, right? (Right!)  For another, she spent an hour and a half with me on the first visit, which is incredible. She actually found things wrong  that she can address (not all of them do), more things wrong than most of them do, and also agrees with me that the main issue is radiating out and affecting nearby joints (the first one to acknowledge that I do have issues in the nearby connections also). I wasn't sure what she was doing, but I am sure feeling it afterwards, so it was obviously SOMETHING. So for now, I shall do exactly what she says.

So yay. This will work. Yes it will. 

I'm not lying, either.

Doctor Horrible says so, too. 

giphy.gif

• Like 2

On 11/30/2017 at 5:31 PM, CallunaTook said:

pulled out my state hiking trail book, and it has a list of urban trails with length and terrain descriptors. I figure I'll do a different one in my city each week, until I get through all of them, and then branch out and hit the ones in the suburbs as well.

That's cool you are able to find that bit of adventurous, and kind of jealous of your thorough book!

On 11/30/2017 at 5:31 PM, CallunaTook said:

So yay. This will work. Yes it will. 

I'm not lying, either.

Doctor Horrible says so, too. 

giphy.gif

It will work!

• Thanks 1

So, Yay for week 1! 

All goals accomplished.

My Sunday urban hike was a trail I'd walked before, years ago. They had changed it a lot, and developed it. It now has picnic tables, and TWO trails instead of the original one. Originally, the trail was shared between mountain bikers and pedestrians. It was one of the few city trails left that felt even remotely like wilderness because of the twists and mountain-bike friendly terrain, and because it wasn't paved. Now, they've separated the pedestrians on to a paved trail and the mountain bikers keep the original trail. It is smart - I remember from my previous hike that one had to listen for bikers behind and hop off the trail so they could whoosh ahead - not the safest arrangement, but everyone made it work. Now it's just one more paved city trail. Because EVERY TRAIL EVERYWHERE near civilization has to be ADA compliant, and humans are allergic to walking on dirt. At least so far as I can figure. Still, it was a nice afternoon out. The hubby came, and we chatted about birds, dogs, and the new tabletop rpg campaign we'll be starting soon. 

I made it through organizing the office boxes of random stuff. (So yay! I get my loot: craft time in the office! ) I was further motivated to start pulling out my to-donate stuff; I wait until I have a few bags of stuff before I drop it off at Goodwill or some other place. It's time again. 

I'm doing better with remembering to meditate. Still not routine, but it's there. I am also starting to like it better, instead of being fidgetty and distractable. Weirdly, I used to be very good at meditating and had great mental discipline. That was long ago. It is certainly a use-it-or-lose-it skill. 

The dog (recovering from knee surgery) and I are still stuck on easy duty physical-wise. The no-bending-over rule has me quite put out. I have found all kinds of workarounds and I hope I'm not going to self-sabotage. It's hard to remember, and equally hard to not do it even after I remember. Because, really, am I going to call my husband or my roommate in EVERY time I drop something on the floor, or need to plug in the vaccuum, or want to get something out of a bottom cabinet or the dog needs water or... well, you get the picture. It's amazing how many things I need to do that are below waist-level. And I don't hurt enough for that to be a deterrent. Grrrrr. 

So, good night, all. I hope you are well. I'm off to meditate, and tomorrow I'll be walking another trail. 

• Like 1

I have fallen into the holiday sweets/alcohol trap again. I've easily at least doubled my consumption of both. The worst part is that I kind of care, but I kind of don't. I'm really not sure what to do about it. Obviously I need to not go into the danger zone on the alcohol, but other than that... 

giphy.gif

Also, I let the day slip without going on my walk on Wednesday, so I'm out for my overall win reward. I was on the road all day for work, then went out for a happy hour, then came home, had dinner, and fell asleep on the couch. During dinner. (This is the other affect winter has on me. I think I may be part bear, because when the sun goes down early, I either start gobbling carbs or I go down with it...)

So boo on me, and then boo again.

Meditating is going ok. I haven't started working on my framed backpack yet.

I had a big to-do at work on Tuesday (a large public meeting about a high profile, big-dollar project in which a reporter showed up, and I presented, and I dreamed about it a few nights in advance (sadly, no one was naked in these dreams), and had to wear grown-up clothes). It went very well. Better than I expected, honestly. And now we continue marching onward with the biggest project of my career thus far. I am trying to tunnel-vision this into baby steps so as not to give myself hives, convince myself that I am not in over my head, and remind myself how fun it is. Yippy skippy!

I admit to counting my work day as my walk on Tuesday because I do not feel as though I sat down much at all, but if I'm honest, it wasn't a mindful walk for my health so I really skipped two days of walks in a row.

Holidays and winter do make me feel kind of drained, so maybe that has something to do with my workplace doubts. It is pretty unusual for me. Maybe I will feel more confident in the spring; there is plenty of time for my confidence to turn around. This is the kick-off of a ten-year project. A project that goes on for this long hurts my brain, but that is where we return to baby steps. It's also been a while since I've had to do heavy analytical work... my project management and report drafting skills have gotten very good, but I feel rusty on analysis. I can delegate some of it, but I still need to do a chunk on my own and be able to doublecheck the delegated bits. It will be fine and even healthy. I just need to get out my oil can. 

Meanwhile, there is Christmas. I have at least five unavoidable social gatherings in the very near future, and there are usually also surprise visits. Sometimes I think I am only pretending to be a friendly person, but I'm actually not. That seems terrible... :-\

giphy.gif

(Disclaimer: If you like fuzzy feeling Christmas songs, you may not like this one...)

PS - The happy hour I went to on Wednesday... the bar had housemade chai rum. They infused rum with chai tea!  How genius is THAT? I have GOT to do that. They made mules with it; they were incredible, and it totally did taste like a holiday in a cup.

• Like 2

Week 2 rundown:

exercise plan: As mentioned in the previous posts, I had to adjust my workout plan to walking only, and I missed two days in a row (Tuesday and Wednesday). I've carried on fine since then, but I miss my rewards for the overall achievement (massage), checking off my NF Academy quest, and coffee shop fun time.

My trail walk for last Sunday was one I had frequented as a teen; it was much as I'd remembered it.

I did do my trail walk today; again, this trail had expanded quite a lot since I'd visited several years ago. It had one short trail, now it has three short trails plus an access road. I looped all three trails together (barring the part that was closed for construction), and was delighted to find that some of them were not paved. They had nice crushed granite, but I could still feel the ground moving under my Chucks, which I love. I'll be back to this trail. I have noticed during this challenge that the trails in my city, in general, are more trafficked than they used to be. I remember being the only nature geek out alone much of the time (except for the cyclists), and now I arrive to packed parking lots at the trailheads and well-populated trails... including entire families with wee ones.  It's quite a change. And because I've been avoiding the city trails for a few years, I don't know which came first: increased usership or expanded trail systems. I'm keenly curious about this; I wish I knew. It's a good, healthy cultural change. I prefer being alone on the trails, but this makes for a healthier community. I'm all for that. 

I'm reaching the end of the shorter urban trails. The average length has been 2 miles. Upcoming trails are 10 miles or more; I'm going to have to consider how to handle those. Do I schedule them in as big chunks, or do I break them up into loops? It may have to depend on how my schedule and my health is going (I once injured myself pretty well doing 13 mountainous miles in the February cold; live and learn).

Meditating is going well. Maybe 1/3 of the time I get around to it for the last thing at night, and then fall asleep... but I'm still doing it. I'll get better at it. Sometimes I like doing it at bedtime, just to tame the mental circus that happens when I'm trying to go to sleep. 

I haven't scheduled my crafting reward for organizing my office boxes. At least that is one thing I've succeeded at.

I've made headway on prepping my external frame backpack. This weekend I took it apart, and therefore have a good idea of how to put it back together. I also hand-washed and rinsed it in the bathtub and hung it out to dry. The hubby eyed me dubiously while I soaped and swished in the tub, and chuckled when I told him: "I don't mind if my pack is dirty, but I want to earn my own dirt!" Sadly, some of the plastic pieces which hold the straps to the bottom of the pack shattered when I washed it. I think the pack is probably 25 years old, so I guess those plastic bits had just expired. It is better I learn this now than on the trail. Now I have to figure out if the shattered pieces are vital, if I can repair or replace them, or if I'll have to replace that entire portion of the pack.

In my googling about this pack, I have learned a few things. Most importantly, there are a couple of military backpack systems that are compatible with this frame, so it will be easy to buy replacement pieces. Secondly, external frames are so out of style right now that it is difficult to find any type of care, repair, or usage tips at all. I do have a hiking book that details where to place loads in such a pack, and I've found a couple of websites that also detail loading an external frame, but as far as any other useful information goes, it looks like I'm mostly on my own or else I'll have to seek out tips via word of mouth. 

As I was washing this pack, the bathtub turned a yellowish brown (dirt in my home state is usually RED), and a lot of it was so fine that it did not wash out of the equipment. It reminded me nostalgically of playa dust, and made me wonder where this pack has been. I think it would be cumbersome to take an external frame to Black Rock City, buuuutttt... that doesn't mean this pack hasn't ventured in similar places. (Or maybe some burner out there was dead set on not leaving their pack behind.)

Image result for burning man dust

• Like 4

On 12/10/2017 at 7:49 PM, CallunaTook said:

My trail walk for last Sunday was one I had frequented as a teen; it was much as I'd remembered it.

This sounds delightful. I've revisited a few trails from my past and only one or two of them still resemble what I remember.

I'm glad you're keeping up, and I look forward to hearing more about your adventures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2017 at 9:31 PM, CallunaTook said:

Because EVERY TRAIL EVERYWHERE near civilization has to be ADA compliant, and humans are allergic to walking on dirt. At least so far as I can figure.

On 12/10/2017 at 6:49 PM, CallunaTook said:

I did do my trail walk today; again, this trail had expanded quite a lot since I'd visited several years ago. It had one short trail, now it has three short trails plus an access road. I looped all three trails together (barring the part that was closed for construction), and was delighted to find that some of them were not paved. They had nice crushed granite, but I could still feel the ground moving under my Chucks, which I love. I'll be back to this trail. I have noticed during this challenge that the trails in my city, in general, are more trafficked than they used to be. I remember being the only nature geek out alone much of the time (except for the cyclists), and now I arrive to packed parking lots at the trailheads and well-populated trails... including entire families with wee ones.  It's quite a change. And because I've been avoiding the city trails for a few years, I don't know which came first: increased usership or expanded trail systems. I'm keenly curious about this; I wish I knew. It's a good, healthy cultural change. I prefer being alone on the trails, but this makes for a healthier community. I'm all for that. 

I feel yah, when it comes to paved trails. Glad you were able to find the crushed granite trail (the woods I walk in daily right now uses woodchips over the dirt paths to partly  make it ADA approved and I believe also allow a higher carrying capacity on the trails).

The chicken or the egg question, personally I think your area over the years had an increase of people that they had to add trails, along with paving to allow the increase of foot traffic and not having to maintain them constantly. Other words, higher demand for trails means more money into the trails... However, lower satisfaction for people who want it quiet. My hope is that you can heal up to be able to go and enjoy those rough nonmainstream trails.

On 12/7/2017 at 5:19 PM, CallunaTook said:

Holidays and winter do make me feel kind of drained, so maybe that has something to do with my workplace doubts. It is pretty unusual for me. Maybe I will feel more confident in the spring; there is plenty of time for my confidence to turn around. This is the kick-off of a ten-year project. A project that goes on for this long hurts my brain, but that is where we return to baby steps. It's also been a while since I've had to do heavy analytical work... my project management and report drafting skills have gotten very good, but I feel rusty on analysis. I can delegate some of it, but I still need to do a chunk on my own and be able to doublecheck the delegated bits. It will be fine and even healthy. I just need to get out my oil can. 

May I ask what the ten years project is?

On 12/7/2017 at 5:19 PM, CallunaTook said:

Meanwhile, there is Christmas. I have at least five unavoidable social gatherings in the very near future, and there are usually also surprise visits. Sometimes I think I am only pretending to be a friendly person, but I'm actually not. That seems terrible... :-\

Oofda... That's quite a few gatherings, may they be somewhat enjoyable!

On 12/10/2017 at 6:49 PM, CallunaTook said:

n my googling about this pack, I have learned a few things. Most importantly, there are a couple of military backpack systems that are compatible with this frame, so it will be easy to buy replacement pieces. Secondly, external frames are so out of style right now that it is difficult to find any type of care, repair, or usage tips at all. I do have a hiking book that details where to place loads in such a pack, and I've found a couple of websites that also detail loading an external frame, but as far as any other useful information goes, it looks like I'm mostly on my own or else I'll have to seek out tips via word of mouth. 

Now I'm curious, what is your hiking background? I'm noobish level to hope go on one of the continental Thru trails before I turn  30.... Curious exactly where you are at?

17 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

My hope is that you can heal up to be able to go and enjoy those rough nonmainstream trails.

Thanks!  I think I could handle many of the rougher trails right now (for 2-3 hours anyway), but I'd have to drive for at least 1.5 hours one-way to get to any of them, so it really has to be a planned thing, and making it a routine would be very difficult. I live in the middle of one of the US's largest cities (land wise, not population wise), and it also has a large metro area (many suburbs), so walking anywhere outdoors other than a civilized park is quite a trek. Or else illegal. I admit when I was younger I did do quite a bit of trespassing, either on purpose or an accident... 

May I ask what the ten years project is?

My agency has access to several million dollars that are intended to be used for environmental mitigation projects, specifically to reduce nitrous oxide emissions. There are ten broad categories of acceptable projects, and then another avenue that would open up many more options. Some of the money can be used as a match (to leverage other money). It's a high profile project and we're a public agency, so everybody gets to have their say on what they want the money spent on. We've finished the first round of public comments and now we are beginning to draft the project plan. I hope to be done with this part by spring. Then everybody gets to comment on the plan and the project designs before we re-write or finalize, and ten years to roll out all the money and complete the projects.

Oofda... That's quite a few gatherings, may they be somewhat enjoyable!

Thanks. It's been going ok so far. Having the secret day off and a four-day workweek is a lifesaver, I think. 

Now I'm curious, what is your hiking background? I'm noobish level to hope go on one of the continental Thru trails before I turn  30.... Curious exactly where you are at?

Hiking has been a favorite hobby of mine for probably 20 years, and when I was in college, specifically, I'd hike several times a week. Over the last few years, it's been much less frequent. I've also had the amazing privilege to hike in some bucket list locations (i.e., Grand Canyon, Yosemite, Matterhorn, the Black Forest), but I am a day hiker. My longest hike was probably 13 miles. I've wanted to backpack for a long time, but I've never tried it. I can honestly tell you that by the time I seriously started to pursue backpacking, the gear had all shifted to the super lightweight compact stuff that fits into the small- or medium-sized internal frame packs, which means that a full set of high tech tiny gear that fits into those internal frames was a huge cost barrier for me. It took me a few years of casual looking before I could find an external frame pack; these are large enough that, so long as they fit comfortably and I train up to be strong enough to lift and carry it, I can fit my regular camping gear in it without having to purchase a full set of the fancy stuff. I haven't tried to fit everything in my new old pack yet; I might have to buy a thing or two of the lightweight stuff (my tent may not fit, for example), but at least I won't have to get the whole set. I figure that if backpacking ever becomes a serious hobby I might want to slowly start to switch my gear over to the newer items, but once I have a usable basic set I'll be able to piece out the cost. Or who knows. I might be happy carrying my giant turtle shell. I imagine it will make me feel buff. There is a chance it will only make me feel tired, though! 

Yay! You should do it. :-)  I would love to hear about your thru hike adventures. Where are you thinking?

I don't think I can take off work long enough to do one, but the trail at the top of my list is the Inca Trail. I was about to start training up for it when I got hurt. :-/

p1030187.jpg

• Like 3

On 11/20/2017 at 8:28 PM, CallunaTook said:

Fitness/Diet Quests

Stick to exercise plan:

Saturday: 30 minute yoga, body weight, or stretch

Sunday: 30+ minute outdoor hike

Monday: 30 minute walk

Tuesday: 30 minute walk

Weds: Free

Thursday: 30 minute walk

Friday: 30 minute yoga, body weight, or stretch

Reward: Check off “Don't miss 2 in a row, for 1 month” (NF Academy). Schedule some leisure book time at a coffee shop. 

Meditate every day

Reward: After 2 weeks, check NF Ac. Quest. After 4 weeks, go to a public session and learn a new meditation.

Level Up Your Life Quest

Organize office boxes full of random stuff

Reward: Do woodburning or other craft

Epic Quest

Prep framed backpack

Reward: Schedule a half-day hike

Week 3:

• Walk every day, with an extended walk on Sunday: Check! Lucky for me, the weather is still mild. We've been topping out in the mid-60s. Winter is supposed to come in like a hammer around Christmas time and we'll have highs in the 30s. It's always so much harder to talk myself into going out in the cold when we can't ease into it, but I'll just... wear a hat? Bribe myself with a hot drink when I get back?  :-)  I didn't have much time for my extended walk today, so I had to pick somewhere close. I went to the botanical park near my house. I hadn't been there in a long time, and they'd added 2 new art pieces, extra signage in the arboretum, and some new ducks. I was the only one there, because it was kind of gray and chilly and drizzly. I walked every trail, and got charged by a fat squirrel. He decided to change course at the last moment. I saw another squirrel eating a mushroom. I've never seen squirrels eat mushrooms before. I tried to feed some peanuts to the koi, but the ducks wouldn't let me. :-/  Those guys are gangsters. I named the leader Gandalf. He was the biggest, all white with the fancy crest of crazy hair fluffing out of his crown. Three generations of my family grew up in this park, including me; I felt like I could see ghosts around every tree. Younger versions of cousins and aunts and uncles, former friends, former boyfriends, former versions of myself. It was a sobering visit. I wondered if this is why I quit going there. I'll probably start going back again. It's a lovely park. I missed it. Plus, now they have fancy ducks, not just mallards.
  • Meditate every day: coming along. I still need to do one before bed today; I've almost made it through the list of different meditations in the app on my phone. I don't always use the app... But I want to try each one. Trying new things is good.
  • Office organization... still done
  • Framed backpack: I managed to put the thing back together again, with no help from the internet, and adjusted it to myself. I also did some minor repairs such as trimming off threads and unjamming zippers, and I feel pretty good about the thing now that I've familiarized with it more. Two of the straps won't go back on because of the pieces that are broken. I don't think those pieces are vital for overall functionality, but I still want to fix it. My plan is to wait until my off-day from work and go to the local outfitter store. I plan to ask them to double check that I put the backpack together properly, and to see if they have replacement pieces to repair the pack, which I'm pretty sure they would. I don't think it has to be the same exact piece. I think any replacement buckle or even some D-rings will do.

I have been thinking a lot about why I haven't even been trying (or wanting to try) to eat healthy lately. It's not just the holidays; I did pretty well over the last holiday season. I think that I'm really burned out on trying to be healthy. I feel like I've hyper-focused on it for too long, to the exclusion of other things that I'd rather be doing, and now I just. Don't. Wanna. Anymore. I spent some time thinking about why I had been doing that, and then I spent some time trying to figure out what it was I actually wanted to be doing. Because I really did not know. 

As a result, over the last few weeks I have:

• Found an evening French class to enroll in. This was very hard to find. Apparently no adults in my city are interested in learning French. But I found one, ha ha! It starts in January. I also found a French club that meets over coffee once a month, and after I brush-up in my French class I might try it out. 
  • Ordered 2 DNA test kits
  • Read 100 pages of the book that I had been meaning to read
  • Bought expensive Christmas chocolates FOR MYSELF and mail-ordered some German food
  • Watched all of the cartoon movies on Netflix that I wanted to see, and gone out to the movie theater twice
  • Done a little bit of creative writing

I am starting to feel much more like myself now. I am sure I will get back around to eating healthy again... but not yet. I will need to, because I am prone to sugar addiction in a major stupid way, and I do feel better overall when I eat paleo. But for now, I think I just need to let that take a rest. 

In other news, I'm now off of super light-duty per doctor's orders. I'm allowed to go about normally (bend over and stuff), and to carefully try other activities if I space them out with a few days between. The new therapist seems to think I am cured. I don't feel cured. I do, however, feel an improvement (I can roll over in bed without doing acrobatics! Yay!), so I'm going to see how it goes. I doubt I'm back in dance/yoga shape, but I am probably back in shape enough to do some things. I just need to figure out what those things are. 

• Like 2