The Arruvia Conspiracy - Around the World

WhiteGhost

44 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I've seen worse. In college, didn't you ever love with a group of guys?

Handstand push-ups!?! That's amazing.

No, I never had that pleasure :D I lived at home for the first year or so of uni (both of my parents worked there so home was closer than most of the available student housing) and then I was married for the rest of it.  I lived with a group of single guys in the Army, but slobbery was highly discouraged in the barracks...

11 minutes ago, deftona said:

Oh my gosh a handstand push up, that's so freaking cool! 

Thanks! I was just thinking a few days ago that these would probably something to work on for next year - never expected I would get one already :) 

• Like 4
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

21 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Guys!

I did the thing!!!!

I was playing around with handstands today and was feeling pretty good balance wise so I decided to see if I could do a free standing handstand and.... I DID IT! :):):)   At first I thought maybe it was a fluke because I couldn't get it again, but then I did it again

Image result for oops I did it again gif

All together I was able to do it 5 times (no consecutive ones yet).  

I am pretty sure that is the first time I have ever been called a chap :) 

Great work on the handstand!

It’s not my usual vocabulary; it was tongue in cheek to amuse myself :-)

• Like 1
On 12/9/2017 at 6:22 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Thanks, that looks like a stretch that I can handle :)  I didn't really understand much of the first part, though :( How do you do negative stretches?  I can seem to wrap my brain around this concept.  Also, other than sitting, what can be done to give scared muscles a little courage?

I really don't differentiate from strict "stretching" and "strength training." Maybe it's strength stretching? Haha.

Like for the Hanging Leg Lift, some people can't bring their toes all the way up to the bar with straight legs. They might have weak hips, tight hamstrings, whatever; not that important. If we can find a way to get to the end position, we can slowly develop control over the range of motion by starting with the negatives then eventually moving to the full version. It's not strictly "stretching" or "flexibility training" per se, but there is a stretch at the top. Go ahead and stretch, but don't forget to load that ROM.

Usually neutral spine and pelvic position play a big role in stabilizing. Might be the reason for so much emphasis on breathing and "core strength." If you really want to nerd-out about this, check this video out:

• Like 3

Dude... HSPU?? That’s so Beast, brother! And free standing? Even more beastly!

I miss doing my HSPU’s... and would love to get back into more Hand balancing stuff and possibly HSPU’s in the future. I never got around to doing free standing ones but I always felt wicked strong when doing them on the wall. Wall HSPU’s used to be one of my all time favorite exercises :)

Keep up the super badassness, WG!!

Wolf

"Maximum Effort!"

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 1 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Knight Radiant/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: MIGHT: 9 / CONSTITUTION: 6 / DEXTERITY: 8 / PERCEPTION: 7 / INTELLECT: 6 / RESOLVE: 10

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The First Ideal

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

16 hours ago, LouCarJo said:

Great work on the handstand!

It’s not my usual vocabulary; it was tongue in cheek to amuse myself :-)

Thanks!.  I have no idea if "chap" has any positive or negative connotation over there, but it made me feel a little bit British :D  

15 hours ago, Ensi said:

Wow, handstand push-ups!! :o That must feel awesome! How long have you been practicing?

Yes, it felt AMAZING!  I totally did not expect it to happen.  I have been doing handstands on and off for most of my life, but I only started trying handstand pushups about a year ago, and have been working on them somewhat seriously only for the last few of challenges.

14 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Dude, that's frickin' awesome!!! Congrats!

Thanks, I felt like a total beast when I was doing them :) 

4 hours ago, annyshay said:

So much mold. :D

But, FREESTANDING HANDSTAND PUSHUPS?!?!?! SERIOUSLY?!?!?!

watch-out-people-we-got-a-badass-over-he

If I keep this up I may need to change my name to Leroy Brown :):):)  

4 hours ago, Machete said:

I really don't differentiate from strict "stretching" and "strength training." Maybe it's strength stretching? Haha.

Like for the Hanging Leg Lift, some people can't bring their toes all the way up to the bar with straight legs. They might have weak hips, tight hamstrings, whatever; not that important. If we can find a way to get to the end position, we can slowly develop control over the range of motion by starting with the negatives then eventually moving to the full version. It's not strictly "stretching" or "flexibility training" per se, but there is a stretch at the top. Go ahead and stretch, but don't forget to load that ROM.

Usually neutral spine and pelvic position play a big role in stabilizing. Might be the reason for so much emphasis on breathing and "core strength." If you really want to nerd-out about this, check this video out:

I am a long way from getting toes to the bar as I can't even get up to 90 degrees yet.  I haven't been able to access those links/video yet, but I will take a look when I can get access.  Once I have had a look, I will probably have some follow-up questions :) 

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

Dude... HSPU?? That’s so Beast, brother! And free standing? Even more beastly!

I miss doing my HSPU’s... and would love to get back into more Hand balancing stuff and possibly HSPU’s in the future. I never got around to doing free standing ones but I always felt wicked strong when doing them on the wall. Wall HSPU’s used to be one of my all time favorite exercises :)

Keep up the super badassness, WG!!

Wolf

"Maximum Effort!"

Maximum effort indeed :D I am thinking HSPU is going to have to be included in the Greystoke Protocol :) 

• Like 5

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26Nerevarine [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

greatthingsollivander.gif

yeah what a great way to end week 2!! handstand pushups! helping a friend who lives far away move! moldy waffles!

well that last one, not so much ;)

• Like 2

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

HANDSTAND PUSH-UP CHAMPPPP! And dang, helping someone move should count for like 5 being a good person points. ;)

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

13 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

yeah what a great way to end week 2!! handstand pushups! helping a friend who lives far away move! moldy waffles!

well that last one, not so much ;)

Well, technically the waffles were from last challenge so maybe we can skip that :D 

12 hours ago, raptron said:

HANDSTAND PUSH-UP CHAMPPPP! And dang, helping someone move should count for like 5 being a good person points. ;)

It was certainly a workout, so I can count double credit for that.  Enough farmer carries to cover a whole challenge :D 

8 hours ago, Sphinx222 said:

I had to google handstands push-up... I am the ultimate noob and you are awesome

Yeah basically just like it sounds :)   Thanks!

Update as of Tuesday morning

Not much going on here at all.

Workout:

I didn't do any workout yesterday because Monday morning meetings are a thing.  THis morning I didn't get any in because I had another meeting this morning, and I won't get any in tomorrow because I need to go to the hospital for my annual health checkup.

Stretching:

Did stretching Sunday night but nothing last night because I was doing work stuff until 1am.

Foooood:

Made some spaghetti last night because it was quick & easy.  I may do that Fish with potatoes & onions @zenLara suggested later this week.

Good Turns:

Nothing for yesterday

• Like 6

Level 2 Ninja

life gets in the way but you're still plodding along! spaghetti is a great quick meal and probably better than take out :D 

• Like 3

Instagram | pinterest

read harder challengeBattle LogNROLFW

Challenges: 13-1 | 13-2 | 13-3 | 13-3.5 | 14-1 | 14-2 | 15-1 | 15-2 | 15-3 | 15-4 | 15-5 | 16-1 | 16-2 | 16-3 | 16-4 | 16-516-6 | 16-7 | 16-8 | 17-1 | 17-2 | 17-3 | 17-4 | 17-5 | 17-6 | 17-7 | 17-8 | 17-9 | 17-10 | 18-118-2 | 18-318-4 | 18-5 | 18-6 | 18-7 | 18-8 | 18-9 | 18-10 | 19-1 | 19-2 | 19-3 | 19-4 | 19-5 | 19-6 | 19-7 | current

On 12/4/2017 at 10:00 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Apparently my stretching is giving me a meaningful workout. 

Yeah I'm terrible about keeping to stretching.  I hear over and over that I need to keep working on it, but stretching just flat out hurts me, even when I do a tiny bit.

After the handstand pushup, what's next:

• Like 3

Great job on the handstand pushups!! One day hopefully I'll get there too! 

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

On 12/12/2017 at 9:42 PM, CourtnieMarie said:

life gets in the way but you're still plodding along! spaghetti is a great quick meal and probably better than take out :D 

definitely better than takeout :) 

15 hours ago, Teros said:

Yeah I'm terrible about keeping to stretching.  I hear over and over that I need to keep working on it, but stretching just flat out hurts me, even when I do a tiny bit.

After the handstand pushup, what's next:

I used to be the same.  I hated stretching and never could get myself to keep doing it because it always felt both painful and a major waste of time.  Only in the last couple of challenges have I come to appreciate - and dare I say - enjoy it

In preparing for my last challenge I identified a number of bodyweight skills I wanted to be able to do eventually.  For that challenge I tried working through various progressions to get  a feel for which ones I wanted to focus on seriously and I selected 4 for this challenge:

Up: Muscle Up

Down: Handstand Pushup

Front: Front Lever

Back: Back Lever

I always expected I would get the muscle up first because I have have been working towards that the longest, but it seems the other three are progressing much faster so the result is that MUs may be the last one of these I get.  

After I get these 4, the next ones I will work on are planches, pistol squats, L-sits (with the goal of eventually working up to a Manna) and human flags.  

5 minutes ago, Teancum said:

Great job on the handstand pushups!! One day hopefully I'll get there too! 

I'm sure you can get there as long as you keep going :) 

I will do a full update after my workout tomorrow

• Like 5

Level 2 Ninja

On 12/10/2017 at 7:38 PM, WhiteGhost said:

Maximum effort indeed :D I am thinking HSPU is going to have to be included in the Greystoke Protocol :)

You know it brother! Greystoke Protocol wouldn't make sense without HS progressions :) 

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

After I get these 4, the next ones I will work on are planches, pistol squats, L-sits (with the goal of eventually working up to a Manna) and human flags. 

Hell yeah! I want to human flag one day as well. I've always found that move to be completely boss! You'll get there, WG, it's gonna be hard work, but you'll get there. You have the tools and mindset to make these breakthroughs and we're ALL excited to see you follow through ;) 

Wolfpool

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 1 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Knight Radiant/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: MIGHT: 9 / CONSTITUTION: 6 / DEXTERITY: 8 / PERCEPTION: 7 / INTELLECT: 6 / RESOLVE: 10

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The First Ideal

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

7 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

You know it brother! Greystoke Protocol wouldn't make sense without HS progressions :) 

Hell yeah! I want to human flag one day as well. I've always found that move to be completely boss! You'll get there, WG, it's gonna be hard work, but you'll get there. You have the tools and mindset to make these breakthroughs and we're ALL excited to see you follow through ;) 

Wolfpool

Human flag is part of my 2019 plan.  I may get it before that, maybe after, but it will happen :) 

Update as of Thursday Morning:

Around the World:

My health check went faster than expected yesterday.  It normally takes 2 hours or more but yesterday I was out of there in just over 30 minutes.  My train to Tianjin wasn't until the afternoon so I unexpectedly had time for a workout, so I did that.  Wednesday is supposed to be leg day, but since I didn't work out on Tuesday I decided to do upper body.  The workout itself was good, especially the handstand kickups.  I was doing it from a crouch (both legs kicking together) and I was surprised at how smooth it was.  It also was a great way to work the freestanding HSPU, because in order to get my legs up my arms would bend a bit, so I would end up straightening my arms and legs together in one motion.  It was super tiring, but snapping into position at the top felt awesome :)  I thought the pullups were going really well too, because it seemed like I was getting my head to the ceiling on every rep.  Only when I was done did I realize it was because I set the bar one notch higher than usual :D  

This morning was leg day and I completely destroyed my legs (in the good way).  I did my usual bodyweight stuff, and then finished up by alternating squats (3x10) and single leg deadlifts (3x5/leg) all at 50kgs.  For the squats, I went super deep (chest to thighs, thighs to calves) and for the last 10 stayed in the hole for a 3 count.  I finished it all off with 50 bodyweight squats.  I suspect I am going to feel this tomorrow :D 

Stretching

I didn't do any Tuesday night but I don't remember why.  Most likely I just didn't feel like it.  Did it last night, though, and especially worked through the hamstring/hip stretches from @Machete and I feel like I am starting to make some progress there. 

Food

The in-laws came over last night and brought a bag of about 20 fish filets so this week's dish is officially settled to be fish

Do a Good turn.  

I don't remember anything happening on this front  yesterday, but this morning I noticed a lady dropped her train pass on the subway this morning.  I picked it up and handed it back to her.

• Like 9

Level 2 Ninja

26 minutes ago, GregT. said:

Enquiring minds want to know how this is done?

Just like regular deadlifts but you stick one leg out behind you.  I started these as a pure bodyweight exercise, but have now moved up to using weights

ETA: you of course have to position your lifting leg more to the center to keep your balance, but other than that it is pretty much the same

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Just like regular deadlifts but you stick one leg out behind you

Is this more to increase your balance or does it work some strange muscle combo I am not grasping.  I looked at some video on how it is done, and it looks interesting but other than helping with balance does it do anything that regular deadlift doesn't?

• Like 1

TANSTAAFL!   

What is not gained through labor is paid for in pride!

STR 8/DEX 4/CON 6/INT 8/WIS 8/CHA 6

BATTLE LOG: GREG T and The Temple Of Fe

Greg T. Proclaims " To mediocrity and Beyond! 2018"

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

2 minutes ago, GregT. said:

does it do anything that regular deadlift doesn't?

Yes, it builds single leg strength and mobility, which is useful if you want to to things with only one leg for some reason (climbing/bouldering is probably the most common application).  

• Like 2

Level 2 Ninja

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yes, it builds single leg strength and mobility

Ok, makes sense.  I will see about adding that n to the Deadlift cycle for next year.  I talked to my partner last night about what I want to do, and get his input and yeah.  I think Think I will be in a lot of pain next year. :) 

• Like 2

TANSTAAFL!   

What is not gained through labor is paid for in pride!

STR 8/DEX 4/CON 6/INT 8/WIS 8/CHA 6

BATTLE LOG: GREG T and The Temple Of Fe

Greg T. Proclaims " To mediocrity and Beyond! 2018"

GregT MFP Food Diary

GregT's Spotify Lists

27 minutes ago, GregT. said:

I will be in a lot of pain next year.

haha, you and me both :) 

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja