• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GregT.

Powering on to Curacao, Continues....

Well,  I said I was just going to continue the last challenge but things have changed.  I injured myself yesterday while exercising at work.    I have an appointment with an orthopedist this evening but based on my own research on my symptoms, it looks like a really good case of Plantar Fasciitis.  It is really difficult to walk with my right foot.  I have full movement in it and have been stretching it since yesterday.  However if it is what I think it is, and as bad as I believe it to be, I am done with lower body workouts for a while.  I will likely have crutches too. 

So I am going to modify my challenge after I hear from the doctor tonight.  I am going to do whatever I can, but I am worried that my goal of squats by 1 Jan and continue on deadlifts may have just gotten derailed. 

I have an upper body workout scheduled for today and I am going to do as many exercises as I can that are seated or on a bench to stay off my foot.  I think my Workout buddy will rack weights and ring me them as well.   I am just bummed out by this.  I may be casting about for ideas on things to do depending on what the Doctor has to say.

I am going to be extra stringent on my food this time since I may not have any relief from the workout front.  I am planning to also crush upper body.  I am doubly pained today because I got a look at my calves today and Damn they are looking good.  I have a finger deep groove down the outside  and I have bifurcation in the middle again.  I am still to heavy for real definition to show but man, that is all gone now.  I think I can pull off calf raises since it is like a calf stretch but the upward portion may be bad for the fascia.  I will ask about it.   First it is my shoulder which is still under repair and ow this.  I know I let myself go quite a bit, but I didn't have any idea it was this bad.  This and getting old sucks. 

Thank for the support. 

On another happier note, I talked to my wife Sunday night and she is looking to move here.  One of her biggest issues was that it is so much work and I am not there to help, she was quite agitated by this.  However she agrees that it is the right thing and provided it can be done, she is going to do it.  I am getting a list of her meds ( Anti-depressants) a to find out if they are allowed I UAE and if they can be obtained here.  I am also looking into the facilities that my cats will be going through to come over.  Making sure they are environmentally controlled or not.  If they are, and they are not left on the tarmac, summer move might happen.  If not fall winter move when the weather is cooler.

I will update my goals after talking to the Doctor tonight. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, GregT. said:

On another happier note, I talked to my wife Sunday night and she is looking to move here.  One of her biggest issues was that it is so much work and I am not there to help, she was quite agitated by this.  However she agrees that it is the right thing and provided it can be done, she is going to do it.

I am super stoked to hear this :):):) I hope it happens sooner rather than later.

Bummer about your leg, though.  Hope it isn't as bad as you fear and that it recovers quickly

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GregT. said:

On another happier note, I talked to my wife Sunday night and she is looking to move here.  One of her biggest issues was that it is so much work and I am not there to help, she was quite agitated by this.  However she agrees that it is the right thing and provided it can be done, she is going to do it.  I am getting a list of her meds ( Anti-depressants) a to find out if they are allowed I UAE and if they can be obtained here.  I am also looking into the facilities that my cats will be going through to come over.  Making sure they are environmentally controlled or not.  If they are, and they are not left on the tarmac, summer move might happen.  If not fall winter move when the weather is cooler.

Oh I am so glad to hear this! I thought it might be the move itself that was overwhelming/daunting. But if she knows you have her back and you are there to do everything you can from where you are, it should at least lift some of the pressure off her. Find out about the length of time that your cats will have to stay in facilities, and extra costs. I found out a while ago moving from South Africa to America would mean our dogs would be in special kennels for at least 6 weeks. They would have allowed visits though. Just something to keep in mind. I have no clue what UAE's laws w.r.t. that situation would be.

Read in another post that your gym partner couldn't make it, so you lucked out on upper body training. Sorry about that, but maybe just for today it was for the best.

15 hours ago, GregT. said:

I am planning to also crush upper body.

That's the right attitude.  If bottom half is going to heal up, just means you can focus more on boulder-shoulders and the rest of upper body.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 11:56 PM, GregT. said:

I will update my goals after talking to the Doctor tonight. 

Glad you talked with your wife, sir :) keep us updated with the doc’s.

Wolf

"Maximum Effort!"

• Like 1

OUCH! My sister has that in both feet at the moment and has been limping like crazy for several months now. I hope you are a quick healer and are also a smart cookie and stay off it as much as possible.

Also you may find this helpful: I have a friend who is from Dubai and she sent me this link :)https://government.ae/en/information-and-services/health-and-fitness/drugs-and-controlled-medicines

Good luck!

• Like 2

Well I went to the doc last night.  First he asked me about gout, I don't think he liked my mirth display.

laughing-hysterically-gif.gif

After hobbling around the clinic and getting X-rays of my foot.  He looks at them and says there is nothing abnormal with the bones, checking for stress fracture, and a little disappointed that he didn't see crystals I guess.  He prods for a while, and bends my toes and what not making a decision.   He set me up with an Urgent ultra-sound for today, but he believes that my Diagnosis was correct.  I have either a sprained ( I hope it is this) or ruptured Plantar Fascia.   I will be off my feet for a while.  My diving in Curacao is now a no go as in a month I will still not be able to use fins, to much stress on the fascia.  Most likely I will not be able to do the hiking and bicycle tours my wife and I were planning either.  I may be spending a lot of time floating in the south Atlantic or on the beach in the sun, while my wife runs around the island taking pictures.   I am absolutely done with Basketball season, so I will show up and try to coach.   I still have the shoulder issue I am working on too.  In fact the doctor I saw last night is the same one I saw for my shoulder.    I am planning to do legs, as I can.  I am not sure how to do calf exercises, but leg curls and extensions are on the menu for sure now since Leg press and squats are out.   I am troubled by the thought of no deadlifts.  I am going to see if I can pull these off anyway, as I can't give up all of the multiple joint movements and big weight exercises.  I am confident I am poised to his 150 kg (330 lb) in the next week.    This was going to be a big milestone for me as it would be me, deadlifting my starting weight of the challenge.  Right now I am doing 145 kg (320 lb) 3 times so I was hoping this week at same weight and try for 5 times, then next week go for new PR starting at 150 kg.  Oh well into every life some rain must fall.

raining-gif+%252812%2529.gif

But all is not lost ( gainz)!  I am planning to start working on bi's, tri's and chest like it is a job.  I can do a lot of back work as well.  I am planning to start hitting roman chair front and back  and just doing what I can.   It is irritating that while I am in the doctors office and even my physical therapist they do not come out and say to stop lifting, but they imply it strongly.   I have tried to tell them that stopping this is what got me in the position now.  My lack of discipline to continue anything physical is how I am now injured and weak.  How could I face Brodin if I quit?

I am looking into the drug agency website, and thanks for the link. 

Thanks for the support I appreciate it.

• Like 6

On 11/20/2017 at 11:56 PM, GregT. said:

This and getting old sucks

Sorry to hear about your leg, but good news on the move, and well done on listening to your body and making the necessary modifications. I'll pray for quick healing, strength, and that the move goes well and soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfen said:

Sorry to hear about your leg, but good news on the move, and well done on listening to your body and making the necessary modifications. 

Seconding this! Hopefully whatever is wrong is the least bad of the options. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

"Maximum Effort!"

Have you changed your profile pictures like 3 times in the past day? I swear there were different pics.

10 hours ago, GregT. said:

I have tried to tell them that stopping this is what got me in the position now.  My lack of discipline to continue anything physical is how I am now injured and weak. 

Heard similar thing from my Doctor.  We had a conversation about my feet (he said that I basically have a, and I quote, 'loose bag of bones' for feet) and how I should 'take it easy'.  Well, if things never change because it's a defect, am I supposed to 'take it easy' forever?  Basically.  Fuck that.  I beat two Spartans instead.

Glad to hear that you're going to beast everywhere *else*.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Teros said:

Have you changed your profile pictures like 3 times in the past day? I swear there were different pics.

Lol, yeah. I had a normal pic of me, then DP picture of him flippin the bird and then gif of DP flippin the bird. Sorry for any confusion...I've eaten a lot of sugar recently....

10 hours ago, GregT. said:

But all is not lost ( gainz)!

I love your outlook dude. You've been dealt some tough cards and are going to have to make adjustments but you'll come out of this. You may even come out of this a better man when it's all said and done. 

Rooting for ya, brother!

Wolf

• Like 1

Update on my Situation.

I had my last shoulder Physical therapy this evening.  I had my right food, ultra-sounded.  that sounds a lot cooler than it is, it is not any shinier or sleeker than before.  I think they have some softening agent in the solution however as my foot does seem a bit silkier to the touch. Oooh. Foot touch!

Well I went to the appointment for ultra-sound at 1700 and was surprised when they fit me in at 1710.  I was a standby from 1700 to 1900.  After the ultra sound where I made the nice technician laugh hard enough twice she had tostada over twice, I mossed, hobbled, zombie shuffled over to the PT checkin desk.  the guy recognized me and said I was a bit early.  So I explained my predicament and he said he would see if I could be fit in.  My original appointment was for 1900.  He mentioned it might be 45 minuets so I availed myself to the interior of the mall ( everything is in a mall here) and perused the bill of fair for Chili's.  I ordered the Steak and Shrimp Fajitas with no tortillas. It was tasty but now I believe I am going to make my own.  I can do better.  I had just finished my repast when I received a call indicating it was time for my PT. All went well and I am now finished with that episode of my shoulder drama.  

I am now waiting for the report from the Doctor, and will then be in to discuss treatment.  

While discussing it with ultra-sound technician, she indicated that the fascia was inside the normal range for thickness and it does nt appear to her to be ruptured.  So there is that.  

10.jpg

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

You've been dealt some tough cards

Coming from you Wolfie, I am humbled by your sentiment.  I have mere physical ailments you my friend are far stronger than I with what you are proclaiming with your spirit, and encouragement to others.  I will endeavor to keep up my end.  

I just love when a doctor tells you "take it easy" when its something like hands and feet issues. Because you know... some of us need hands and feet to do this thing called a job. I have what @Teros has but in my hands, suuuper loose ligaments that just like to hate life and quit for no reason. I have given myself gamekeepers thumb like three separate times just by having hands and doing my job and going about my life. Doctors always say "take it easy, try to avoid doing things that cause you pain" Yes... because I'm just not going to use my thumbs for the rest of my natural life... HA!

Although not gonna lie... I'm jealous as hell that you have the ability to just float around in the south Atlantic at all, even if it's not the fun plans you had in mind :P I've only been able to do that in the North Atlantic and let me tell you... NOT COOL! Kidding... it was cold as hell to go swimming off the coast of Nova Scotia in August :P On the plus side, if you end up with crutches for a spell, it'll work the hell out of your upper body to just get around so that's another sneaky little win for you :D

• Like 3

Well Update again.

First thanks Leigh,  I appreciate the commiseration. :)  I will be posting pics when I am on vacation be sure of that.  It will probably be how I close out this blog.

My foot is feeling much better today.    It is still not good, but much better than the previous two days.  I am hopeful that I will be able to walk mostly normal by my rip.

I weighed in today, as it is the two week weigh day, I thought it better to weigh in today, Thanksgiving, instead of tomorrow day after Thanksgiving. 

Well I am down another 4 pounds ( 2kg).  Not as much as I hoped but considering that I have not been able to work out like I should for about a week,  I'll take it.  I also did measurements and I am really happy with that.  I hope it is not some weird Swol going on but it makes me want to ignore the weight for sure.

Starting Bicep 16" (40.64 cm), Starting Calf, 17" (43.18 cm).  Well as of this morning.  Bicep 18.25" (46.35cm) and Calf 19" (48.26 cm).  SUCK IT SCALE!

godzilla16.gif?w=650&h=488

Last week I was wearing one of my funny lift shirts

il_340x270.1167444083_im1u.jpg

and one of the regulars asked me how I got the sleeves of my shirt to shrink and the rest to get baggy.  I just laughed and didn't think much of it until I went to do curls and had to hike the sleeves.  I still didn't think enough about it to measure that day lol.  I am not saying I am some monster or what not, I am still 3 inches off of my maximum bicep and 2 inches off my calf size but DAMN!  I now see why the numbers on the scale have not been going down lol.

I wish I had had a tape measure when I first went to the gym in August and not in mid September, because I really would like to know where I actually started at.  I know my forearms are bigger and I have a nice dip and knot from my elbow to forearm now. 

So, I am pretty excited to get back in the gym and really hit it next week.  I was getting bummed out and had noticed my intensity was down the last week or so.  Now I have something to report that gets me excited again.  Thanks Brodin!  Minor swol, appreciates the gift of gainz!

• Like 6

On 11/22/2017 at 8:21 PM, Leigh said:

suuuper loose ligaments that just like to hate life and quit for no reason

My feet quit on life when I was a baby.  My sister made fun of me and said that I had 'fat little hooves'.

Not at all a sign of what I identify as.

Image result for minotaur hooves

On 11/22/2017 at 11:12 PM, GregT. said:

asked me how I got the sleeves of my shirt to shrink and the rest to get baggy. 

#Endgoal of mine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Teros said:

#Endgoal of mine.

One of mine too.  I just want it to not be a 3XL shirt that looks baggy.  Actually it looks like it fits as it should, but it was tight before.  We will get there.

• Like 2

Well I guess I should actually put up goals for this challenge. 

these goals are going to be relative to the health of my foot.  If it is doing well and I can do exercises with it, like squats/leg press I will do them.  I am positive I can still manage Dead Lifts. 

Goals:

1. Increase strength across the board by going to the gym 4 times a week, with 3 days as minimum.  I am going to attempt 5 days but with Holidays in country approaching.  I am going to be concentrating on upper body, particularly Biceps, triceps and Chest. 
  2. Swim 3 days a week.  This is a goal that has one hang up.  I have allowed my pool membership to lapse because I was planning to use the base pool and save the money.  I am currently trying to find out when the base pool is open.  Once I find the times for the pool, I will swim 3 times per week if I can make the timing.  There is a chance it is only open while I am at work.
  3. No Take Away!   This is a continuation of the previous challenge goal, and I have still kept the app off my phone.  Only exceptions will be noted on blog and will be held accountable. examples of when it is O.K.: Issue like Halloween when I did not have enough food for the number of people that RSVP'd coming over so take away but still in my nutrition window.  Unable to stand to prepare food, such as last Tuesday and Wednesday when I injured my foot, and went to a doctor with instructions to not stand more than 2 minutes at a time.
  4. General Nutrition:  Maintain my OFM diet.  It is working so do not change.  I am also going to be changing back to 2 meals per day.  Small transition period over very beginning of challenge if needed.  I am going to allow myself a can of tuna if needed for lunch prior to the gym if I am ravenous and unable to control it with water.   Please help keep me honest by checking GregT MFP Food Diary

That is it.  I am keeping this one simple.  I am actually going to cut this challenge short because it will end after I am on my vacation in Curacao.  I will put up my tally before I leave.

Thanks for tuning in.

• Like 5

Good luck with these goals! I'm glad your foot is improving slowly but surely and you'll be able to do some exercises.

You just reminded me that I need to find out whether the one municipal swimming pool closest to us, is still operating. And cost.

• Like 2

Good Morning all.

I had a nice 90 minute call with my wife last night.  I talked t her about a lot of things that had nothing to do with moving here, then I moved to that.  I believe I have her convinced to move here.  She is still not giving me an answer but I think it is more fear of unknown and she has 4 weeks left before I asked her for an answer. She is not talking about not coming over she is now asking me to look into things that may be difficulties in moving here, such as what conditions will the cats face coming over, will there be a better time for them to ship ( winter versus Summer) her medication issues, and shipping the cats over well before she sells the house so they are not a hassle while she is setting it up to sell.  I also threw out a carrot for her.  She has always wanted to go to Gotland, Sweden and work on the archeological dig there.  Well it has a waiting list and it only works in the summer.  I told her why not make a goal, if you decide to move here, plan to have everything done by a fixed point and put in for the volunteer work for summer of 2019.  I told her that her moving here would allow her to do these type of things she has always wanted to do, but due to cost and working has not been able to do.  I also mentioned that she would be able to fly back a couple times a year to the States if she wanted to visit, her response was and I quote : "Meh".  So I think there is a chance. :)

star-wars-4.png

I went to the gym yesterday and busted out some sets.  My workout partner has had a tough 5 days, as they keep calling him out for emergency issues on the systems he works on.  So he couldn't make it yesterday so in keeping with our protocol, I focused on what I think are places I need to work on.  So I did Bi's, tri's, and traps.   I think it went well.  I worked the bi's and tris really hard and no issues.  I did High Pulls for traps as I do them from the floor with a barbell and had no issues with my foot so I am positive dead lifts are on the lift menu.

heavy+lifting.png

Food yesterday was good, I actually had t figure out how to eat more last night.  I was sitting at 1200 calories for the day and it was coming up on bed time.  I wasn't hungry but I know that eating that few calories was not a good idea.  So I ended up taking a cup of Heavy whipping cream and a teaspoon of sugar and making whipped cream in a stainless bowl with a whisk.  I got in a good wrist workout lol.  I ended up eating the hole pile and I was still well under my calorie limit and bumped my ratios into the sweet spot.  Not to mention it was nice to have a dessert.  I really like this diet.

eat-like-a-man.png

• Like 5