• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GregT.

Powering on to Curacao, Continues....

Well B-day has been pretty good so far.  I had sports day today at work, and I was on a volley ball team and The Expats Basketball team.  I played the entire game in our victory over The top Patriot team. We won 18 to 15.  I had 8 points and 7 rebounds.  The officiating was horrendous.  If we breathed on the other guys it was a foul, they actually knocked me to the floor while I was making a jump shot and there was no call.  But hey we are 2-0 in play right now and have played 1 ok team and today was one of the better teams.  If we don't draw a game while the team is on Leave over Christmas we have a chance of winning the thing.  \\. The Brigiadier at Half time had t make a call and tell me to stop using elbows when I got the rea=bounds because he was afraid someone would get hurt.  the other team made up of all Philipinos and one emirate Colonel had No rebounds in the 1st half lol.  So I guess I was a victim of my own success.

Off to dinner son and a buddy got me a surprise b-day gift, opening night tickets to Star Wars tomorrow.  So Weekend is starting off well.

Konichiwa Biatches!  I should have used this as my personal song today on the court.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, GregT. said:

So Weekend is starting off well.

Nice! Good to know things are going well. I'm hoping to see Star Wars this weekend, as well, but I'll probably be working on the other end of the concession counter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GregT. said:

Some of us have to make concession.  I know Puns, Bad puns at that.

Bad puns?

You have the heart of a lion and a lifetime ban from the zoo.

Speaking of zoos, some aquatic mammals escaped from their pen. It was otter chaos.

Never borrow shoes from a drug dealer. You're never sure what he laced them with and you'll be tripping all day.

You shouldn't trust stairs because they're always up to something.

I'm sure a restaurant on the moon would be interesting and the food might be great, but it would lack atmosphere.

I had a good pun about murder that would’ve really killed but I’m sure you’re all sick to death of those.

UDn0ljN.gif 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GOOD MORNING!

Star Wars was really good.  I have come to dread the movies even though I go.  But this one and the last one were actually good and not all cutesy.

It I s a quick note this morning as I am running late.  I and my partner got invited to go lift at Golds gym by a couple other lifters.  apparently they have heard through others that we bring it lol.  Well today is going to be brutal.  Deadlifts 10 sets of 5, Flat Bench 5 sets of 8, with 10 singles, Incline Bench 3 sets of 12, decline bench 3 sets of 12, Behind back shrugs 3 sets of 10, Barbell curls 5 sets of 10, Lat Pulldowns 5 sets of 10, and 5 sets of some sort of rows to finish with.  Going out Strong for 2017!

See you after I go pick somethings up and put them down.

Oh I bought a basketball last night and after the gym I am stopping at a park and shooting some hoops, provided it doesn't rain.  rain right?  forecast but sunny right now.

Later

• Like 4

Okay I survived the gym.  I say that because it was a dangerous place today apparently.  Everything felt heavy.   Both my partner and I both felt off, and everything felt heavier than it should.  With that said we did crush it!  

We met the two other guys that invited us to Golds Gym Deerfield Mall location at 0905, and signed in as guests.  We got a couple of nice golds gym embroidered towels and went  In search of the Hallowed temple!  

It was very shiny and brightly colored.  There were row after row of treadmill and stationary bikes, a crossfire area and then I saw our destination....  The Deadlift Platform!  

640x480GG007.jpg

Deadlifts!

348s.jpg

So we got going on it.  We walked up and they had this large bar there with HB on the end caps.  It was bigger around than a normal bar and felt heavier, so we figured it stood for Heavy Bar. We asked around and no-one seemed to know how much it weighed, not even the staff.   I am guessing that the bar was a heavy benchpress bar, I have never seen one until today but they are normally 55 lbs ( 25 kg).  Well, we went at it and got to lifting.  The guys we were with wanted to know what we were gong to do today so I handed them my clip board and they said " what is this?"  I said, it is our scheduled workout for today.  They asked " You are going to do all of this today?"  I said well no, there are a couple exercises we short hand that actually have a couple of movements on them I just add on.   They looked at me like I was crazy.  I mean today was going to be a beast, but it is the last scheduled Back and Chest day of 2017 so Go big right?  Here is the list of what we did.

DEADLIFT

10 sets of 5 reps, Started with 110 kg after warm up set and then my partner said he had to drop down so we went to 100 kg.  I  did 130 kg at set 5 because I was just not getting enough at 100.  Then I finished out the last 5 sets at 100 kg.  It was really nice dead lifting on an actual deadlift platform with padding for the weights and all.  I could get used to that.

BENCHPRESS

5 sets of 8 followed by 10 singles.  The bench was different. The benches were curved legs and the bar rests were a hard rubber or maybe steel with a hard rubber coating.  They stuck out quite a bit and we had to maneuver ourselves so that lifting the bar off the rack it was actually at the bridge of your nose.  We where having to do lift offs because after the third time we clipped one of the hooks on the up stroke, it became a safety issue.  So we got in a nice couple sets of High pulls doing lift offs for bench press.  Anyway we did 60, 70, 80, 85 and 100 KG sets.  We dropped down to 80 Kg to do 10 singles.   When we were on set 4 of bench, I tripped on the ledge behind the bench while spotting and caught myself with my left arm.  Yeah that hurt the shoulder again,

Incline Bench

An Actual Incline bench was present and we thought it would be a treat. Normally we have to drag an adjustable bench under the smith machine to do incline and decline but they had dedicated equipment for it.  Well, we had the same problems with the hooks on this one as we did the other.  I was also having some pain in my left shoulder as a response to the mishap on the Bench Press.  I got it done but not as excited about it as I was hoping to be.  3 sets of 12 45 kg, 50 kg, and 50 kg.

Decline bench

Another dedicated bench.  This one was good, we had learned from the previous ones and we use a bare bar to check clearance and stuff before loading it up.  We did 3 sets of 12 again with 45 kg, 55 kg and 55 kg.

Behind the Back Shrugs

We were going to do these for the first time today and we did.  Our plan was to use the smith machine since we hadn't done them before but since the guy on the smith machine had been there for 45 mins and said he still had a couple sets left.  We went to the altar and used that since no one else was.  I stepped up and showed my partner how they are done and we started with just the HB bar.  I went in to the squat cage and he went on the deadlift side took an overhand grip on the bar behind his back and I placed my hand on his lower traps so he could balance while making the proper angle for the lift.  These things are brutal.  They are absolutely going into rotation for the new year.  I finished the second set and I for the first time this year felt my traps swelling.  I reached up and they were a knot of concrete that Spock couldn't have nerve pinched!  We only did 3 sets since it was new, they were done with 10 reps, HB only ( 25 kg) 55 kg, and 55 kg.  I can see these being a big help for Deadlift numbers as well as just overall shoulder strength.

Barbell curls

5 sets of 10.   We were looking for place to do these and decided that we would do them "around the Squat rack" my partner wanted to do them in the squat rack and I had to restrain myself from Pimp slapin' him!  No one was going to use it, we were at it and it had the stops set for us to rack the bar after each set and all but by all that is sacred in the temple, no curling in the squat rack!  So we used the bar from the squat rack and the weights there but didn't the exercise next to it.  I felt a calm come over me as I sensed brains approval.  We did 5 sets of barbell curls, standing.  We used a standard bar of 20 kg, then I did 4 sets with 30 kg.  My partner stayed with 20 kg.  I think I could have gone up some more but I was just not feeling it.  I think it may have been a slight punishment from Brodin for thinking about using the squat rack for curls.  

Lat Pull Downs

Next we moved over to Lat pull downs.  5 sets of 10.  We crushed these.  Got great squeeze on them at the bottom of the movement and I am having difficulty sitting n this chair to write this lol.  Started with a warm up set of 30 kg and then moved into the real sets.  85 kg, 115 kg, then 3 sets of 100 kg.  Yeah I am happy with this.  I can't do a pull up but if I was at the weight I believe I should be I would have been able to do 5 sets of 10.  I will get there. I am a firm believer that I should be between 235 and 250 lbs (107 and 113 kg)

Seated Cable Rows

This was the final exercise today in the Temple.  I used to love these things.  The gym we normally work out at does not have one of these and I do wish it did.  Nothing made my back grow like this thing.  I got on and demonstrated for my partner how I do them, as it is slightly different from the picture on the machine.  He tried it like they said and then I said try it this way.  He felt the HUGE difference int eh same muscles :)  He worked with 60 kg for all 5 sets of 12.  I did 60 kg as a warm up then I did 115 kg for 5 sets.  We also super seated these with tricep push downs.  Light weight since we had been using them on so many other exercise as secondary muscles.  It was 5 sets of 10 with 30 kg.  

We then collected our towels, water bottles and the work out sheet and headed to the front where we had the obligatory sales pitch.  Oh the guys we came to work out with, decided they're not going to do our work out it was "Too Much".  they left to have breakfast at Mugg and Bean 40 minutes before we were done.   We listened to the pitch and said we would. think about it.  I got to ask if it was a mixed club or if the ladies had to use the ladies only section and they said it was mixed.  So if my wife comes over to live I can get a membership and go with here as she has asked, to get her going on weight training. :)  

We then went to the park near the all and I broke out my new basket ball and we shot around for about 45 mins.  My legs are till sore from the game on Wednesday.

Anyway, ODIN! WITNESS!  May the warriors enjoy the tales in Swolhalla tonight!

• Like 5

You know what, I have been feeling a bit off for about 9 days now on strength and overall gumption.  I just realized I finished a course of antibiotics 2 days ago for a sinus infection, which is gone btw.  I wonder if that is the cause for my loss of power?  

Young-Frankenstein-007.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GregT. said:

I wonder if that is the cause for my loss of power?

There is plenty of research to support this. Your doctor would probably say it's the illness that sapped your energy, but...

https://health.howstuffworks.com/medicine/medication/antibiotics-cause-fatigue.htm

You can Google "antibiotics make you weak" or "antibiotics side effects" and find research. Or if you don't trust the Internet, search a database for journal articles about antibiotic side effects.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GregT. said:

Pimp slapin' him

I looked that up... never heard it before! :D You're never too old to learn. And I'm learning all over the boards tonight.

Sounds like you had a great training day. That gym looks impressive! Wow!

So are you sitting on the roof in the rain now?

9 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

So are you sitting on the roof in the rain now?

Unfortunately we got no rain. Maybe today.  I can always hope.  I have my last leg workout today for 2017.  I am planning to go to the gym through Tuesday but it will be low weight light work outs, just enough to stretch out, eliminate acids and prevent DOMS,  I don't want to take the chance of hurting myself before the trip or having DOMS on the plane.

Going to regular gym, today ad I think we will have a better workout.  No one goes to our gym on the weekend, so we open the windows and crank the metal up.  Then get serious and yell at each other for encouragement without worrying about who else is about.

:)

• Like 3

ODIN!

This closes the 2017 lifting season.  I had the last big weight workout for the year this morning and it was fantastic.

Got to the gym, and as expected, it was deserted.  Hooked up sound system ( My phone and blue tooth speaker) and got the Metal going!

I started with some stretching to prepare for the final Leg day of the year.  And proceed to the 

LEG PRESS:
5 sets of 10 reps.  I started a little low with 150 kg (330 lb) for the first set.  The proceeded to 200 kg ( 440 lbs) which is all the machine has for the remaining 4 sets.  I could tell I had taken some time off on these as it felt really heavy.  I normally do these with 4 second up 0 hold and 4 second down.  But today I was just doing up and down, blasting up and controlling down and it was burning.  My partner wanted me to come up with something different for his squats and really liked the dumbbell squats and dumbbell sumo squats I had him do last time, so today I introduced him to Goblet squats.  He liked them as well.  He was dripping with sweat when he finished his 5 sets of both Sumo and standard goblets.

Front Push Press:

I have done this once since my shoulder was rehabilitated.  I took it light last time and jut concentrated on the movement and monitoring for soreness.  Well, today I went all out since it was the last session of the year.  It was HEAVY!  I guess taking almost 6 weeks off to recover from an injury and doing no overhead pulls or presses took at toll.  40 kg ( 88 lbs) for the first one to get loose, and Man It was a challenge!  Previous sheets indicate before the injury I was pushing 70 kg ( 150 lb) on this exercise.  Well, I got it done.  Next was 50 kg (110 lb, then topped out at 60 kg (135 lb) for the final 3 sets.  I was dripping with sweat and my throat was raw from the grunting/shouting to get them up.   We then did 10 singles with 50 kg (110 lbs) and there were a couple of them I just muscled up, not a great lift but I pushed them up.  I normally push these up in a nice steady motion.  Well, I guess I did these too but it was a snails pace.  

Scott Presses:
  Well, this is kinda of funny.  We were doing these incorrectly for 2.5 months.  We were only doing the bottom half of the movement and last week we did the whole thing.  Well, I looked at my notes and read it wrong.  Last time I did 12 reps with 8 kg (17.5 lb), well I misread it and thought I did it last time with 12 kg (26.5 lb ) dumbbells.  So I went to it, and did 2 reps with 12 kg , and then moved to 14 kg (31 lb) dumbbells.  I only busted out 8 on each of the last two sets but I felt good.  Then My partner had gone to the bathroom, and I discovered my mistake.  So I did two more sets with 8 kg (17.5 lb ) dumbbells for 12 reps. So I got good shoulder press in today.

Calf Raises.  
We used the leg press machine and I did a light set of 140 kg (308 lb) then moved it to 200 kg (440 lb) and we both did 5 sets of 12 reps.  No hold today just pump them out.  Nice and controlled on up and down with a nice squeeze at the top.  I ended up ding a 6th set with 180 just to stretch everything out.  

Final today was what I am going to just shorthand for us as ABS.  this consist of 4 exercises that are always done together.  Roman Chair, Reverse Roman Chair,  Wall Walks, and Reverse crunches with pushdown.

The Roman chair was done for 3 sets of 15 using a 20 kg (45 lb) dumbbell held to the chest.  My back was burning on 10 through 15 on all three sets.  Reverse Roman Chair was the same but for rep of 10 with a 3 second hold in the horizontal after rep 5.  Yeah this is absolutely killer for the upper abs lol.  The 20 kg ( 45 lb) weight is a lot heavier on rep 10  than 1.
Wall walks are a way for us to try and get to do bridges eventually.  We have a little mark on the wall to show how far we are going back.  Good stretch.  We do this three times foe 15 second count each set.  And finally reverse crunches with push downs.  We did 3 sets of 10.  The goal is to kick the pusher in the chest when yo come up and I managed it about 70% of the time.  Which is better than the first time I did them in October when I did it twice!  The push down and keeping your feet from hitting the floor really make this exercise in my opinion.  We are hoping that summer of next year we will incorporate a 2 kg medicine ball held between the ankles as well.

That was the end and I had to ring out my had cover.    I fell it all over my body and it feels good.  I know that I gave it a good workout today and I am excited to keep it going. The plan is to work out Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and do a normal schedule of exercises but I am going to keep the weight very low.  Mostly just to eliminate muscle soreness and maybe work up a sweat.  Wednesday I believe I have another basketball game, and that night I fly out to Curacao.  I will make another repost when I come back on that and close out this blog, thread whatever it is.  

Thanks to all of you that keep reading it, and encouraging me.  I could not do it without you all.  Merry Christmas and Happy New year!

• Like 6

ODIN!

I have been given gainz!  

Dobby has veins!

Hello all,   

I went to the gym today and it was just a day to do some light work and get the blood flowing.  So I grabbed some dumbbells and started doing hammer curls, then superset that with tricep push downs, then bounced over to reverse curls, then straight bar curls, then tricep push downs etc. while I waited for the flat bench to open up.   Well After a couple of sets of this cycle I had a little pump happening and I was looking in the mirror and thought something was wrong with my arm!  I stopped and pulled it up to see and I HAD A VEIN POPPING OUT!  I looked on the other side and I had them on the underside of my forearm as well!  I started to see them on my radius side of the forearm as well.  not as well defined due to the hair and all but there none the less!  As I have stated before the scale is just not moving.  Well this is real evidence that I am losing body fat, period.  It has been almost, no it has been 20 years since I had visible veins anywhere but my feet.  I know it is kinda gross ,and whoppty doo, but man I am excited.  It is the first definitive expression that what I am doing is doing something.  I mean I have gotten stronger yes, but physiological changes.  So I just had to share.  My Forearms were looking BIG too, so I was just happy. I hope my wife likes them.  

On a side note.  I have noticed in the last month maybe that I have had to be careful shaking hands.  Particularly ladies hands. I have been using grip strengtheners as well as lifting heavy barbells, and have noticed that others hands seem to feel delicate and light.  At our company party Last Sunday, I shook a couple of hands and I had a conscious thought of careful, do break anything.  Does anyone else have that feeling?

ODIN!  Thanks!

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Congratulations on the gainzZz!

51 minutes ago, GregT. said:

Does anyone else have that feeling?

I was shaking hands recently with a lady I have known for a years (she is one of the catalysts for me actually start getting active again thanks to some well timed biting sarcasm) and she had to tell me to take it easy because my handshakes were uncomfortably strong

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Congratulations on the gainzZz!

thank you , Thank you.  

I just don't ever remember feeling like I had to be careful of hurting someone with a hand shake you know?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GregT. said:

Does anyone else have that feeling?

I have a stronger handshake than most women in general, apparently. Been told to take it easy on handshakes my whole life. What I hear nowadays in the home school moms groups (the last two years since I got strong for my first Muddy Princess), is that if you need someone to lift or move something heavy, call Elize. She's strong! And they don't tell me to watch out any more when I help the boys/kids with things at sport or outings. Most moms tend to not be strong enough to handle things. It was why I wanted to be strong in the first place, to help the boys and be there when they need me.

Glad you had that feeling :D

• Like 3

Ok, so only one more day to go!  32 hours and I will be ensconced in the airport ready to Power to Curacao.  

I am just chilling making my packing list and well, packing.  Just listening to stuff like this to get happy and motivated.

Hat tip to Deffy for the music list by a happy name.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1