Subduing the Yeti: Rebel Holiday Mini

Wobbegong

Aaah, I completely forgot to check in here! I'm totally up for talking to that yeti.

My gift giving list isn't that long luckily, small family.

Last year a friend invited a lot of people to her Christmas party and gave everyone handmade soap. That can be a big money and time saver if you "have to" hand out a lot of small gifts and can also be a nice little something for family members.

This is a great idea! A friend of mine use to make cocoa butter body cream as a gift for her inner family. I wish I was able to make it!
  • Like 2

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

When my Grandfather was alive and he suffered from Alzheimers for most of my life, I made a point to get him the same thing every year. It was comforting to him and it made things easier for me. I also made a point to work out what to get him with my Grandma (His caregiver) so she could tell me if he needed something, or what would be best.

Good luck on the handmade gifts. I don't have time to do much with those atm.

That list is a good start. If you are forgetting someone, you will remember it as things get closer. I save my list on my computer (ours is closer to 44 family members) so I just pull it up each year, delete the gifts and resave it with a new year.
Unfortunately I asked and no one knows as he is more aware now, but still unable to talk. I think that cheese or other food could be appreciated, but then he might get violent if we don't allow him to eat the whole thing at once. Mumble, mumble...
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Diadhuit said:
20 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

When my Grandfather was alive and he suffered from Alzheimers for most of my life, I made a point to get him the same thing every year. It was comforting to him and it made things easier for me. I also made a point to work out what to get him with my Grandma (His caregiver) so she could tell me if he needed something, or what would be best.

Good luck on the handmade gifts. I don't have time to do much with those atm.

That list is a good start. If you are forgetting someone, you will remember it as things get closer. I save my list on my computer (ours is closer to 44 family members) so I just pull it up each year, delete the gifts and resave it with a new year.

Unfortunately I asked and no one knows as he is more aware now, but still unable to talk. I think that cheese or other food could be appreciated, but then he might get violent if we don't allow him to eat the whole thing at once. Mumble, mumble...

Well, that is a problem. Could you get hims something like little bags of peanuts or something else, so he can have one "log or chunk" at a time, and then spread the rest out?

Good luck with that one. Does he need new slippers like his old ones to keep his feet warm?

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

You did a great job collecting your essentials at the market, but there are a few extra odds and ends that are always useful to have on a mission. You’ve got some money left, so why not take a look around and stock up on bells and whistles?

Challenge: Everyone picks up a few general rules of thumb for gifting people when they don’t really know what to give as a gift; after all, you gotta have the essentials! What are your gifting fallbacks? If you don’t do a holiday gift exchange, do you have similar fallbacks for other gift occasions: birthdays, weddings, etc?

--This is the last gifting-specific challenge of this mini! We'll move on soon I promise.--

• Like 2

Everyone in my family is big into cooking, so my rule of thumb is kitchen gear for young adults and consumables (coffee, spices, fancy oils) for older adults, who are already kitted out. 

The past couple of years I've gotten books for people in my immediate family. One book per person, but it has to be something I've put some effort into picking and think they'll enjoy. 

• Like 2

Well, that is a problem. Could you get hims something like little bags of peanuts or something else, so he can have one "log or chunk" at a time, and then spread the rest out?

Good luck with that one. Does he need new slippers like his old ones to keep his feet warm?
It is a biggie unfortunately. It looks they are having a hard time hiding the food usually, so the gift should be 'one piece of chocolate' or something like that to avoid indigestion... or be a lot of people he doesn't recognise because he doesn't eat in front of strangers...
I tried wool socks last year, but they weren't successful. I am setting my mind on cheese for this year...
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

Mum and Dad don't always get gifts

I have the opposite thing, my mom's birthday is the day after Christmas and she always insists they not be conflated... so two gifts. Except she hates "stuff" and is nearly impossible to shop for. :/ 

• Like 2

Mom has been selling scratched baked goods at a small, local farmers market.  I noticed while I was home last week a little wish list on the fridge for a few items that I picked up on Amazon for her and they're on the way! Simple things that will make it easier for her - a large pastry mat and parchment paper sheets :)

For ideas for folks when you "don't know what to get" - I  have done gift cards for stores where I know someone shops (grocery stores if someone is on a fixed income), I've sent my own baked goods or hand made candles when $$ was tight for me.

• Like 4

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Challenge: Everyone picks up a few general rules of thumb for gifting people when they don’t really know what to give as a gift; after all, you gotta have the essentials! What are your gifting fallbacks? If you don’t do a holiday gift exchange, do you have similar fallbacks for other gift occasions: birthdays, weddings, etc?

Oh man, this is a hard one. I don't really have much as a fall back. Generally the closest I have to a fall back is bookstore giftcards for the kids teachers. They can use it for themselves, or for their classroom library.

Other than that, I try not to just have a generic gift.  I always try to focus on what i know about the person, and worst case, get them a giftcard to somewhere they would like.

Closest I have to a gift exchange is more a white elephant that has really weird rules, but its chosen family, so we all know what most of us will like anyway.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I have the opposite thing, my mom's birthday is the day after Christmas and she always insists they not be conflated... so two gifts. Except she hates "stuff" and is nearly impossible to shop for. :/ 

Youngest Agents birthday is the same day as your moms. I do try to do the "separate gift thing" for her, and I do ask that birthday not be in christmas paper. However, We don't do her actual "Party" till Jan so sh doesn't feel like her birthday gets overrun with Christmases either.  It really is a hassle for me, but I don't want her to think Eldest Agent gets more of a birthday then she does. When she gets older, who knows. But lets be honest, Youngest Agent hits double digits this year. She is not an adult either.

• Like 2

General rule of thumb with my parents: no wishlist, no presents... [emoji14]
Never needed to enforce it as lists have always been had, but yeah.

For friends' birthdays usually a list gets asked as well.
Though last weekend we had a birthday were the group didn't get gifts together (like usual, turns out many weren't able to come)
So my BF and I went to get our own gift. We know the person really loves tea so we got her a tea gift set. ^^

I usually don't have fall back gifts :)
Though knowing what the person likes helps a lot.

I kinda have to agree with my BF on gift cards. They are kinda stupid. But people are afraid to just give money for some reason. So instead you get a card you can only spend in a limited amount of places...

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

On 11/26/2017 at 12:31 PM, Wobbegong said:

For adults: A bottle of wine. (For boring adults who don't appreciate the gloriousness of aged and fermented grape juice: Gift box of high quality chocolates.)

For children old enough to read: A copy of The Hobbit, by J.R.R. Tolkien

For children too young for that book: Something by Astrid Lindgren, author of, among other things, Pippi Longstocking and the masterpiece that is The Brothers Lionheart. It will keep until they are old enough to appreciate it.

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Thanneth is in. 

I picked this up from my parents, who are pretty expert gift-guessers as far as I can tell. When you aren’t sure what a person likes, gets them something that’s so hilarious that at the very least they’ll have a great story to tell for the remainder of the holiday season. 

Otherwise I take Bean Sidhe’s advice and get them a giftcard, probably to a bookstore because my family and a lot of my friends

love to read. 

• Like 4

“Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.”

Aragorn II, Heir of Isildur and Cheiftan of the Dunedain 

Current Challenge

Battle Log: Thanneth faces the Dragons of Disorder

On the road at last! Shopping is fun, but the bazaar sure was bustling. It’s nice to get some space and fresh air. The last remnants of civilization fall behind you quickly as you hike through foothills towards the Yeti’s mountain, and after a while you decide it’s time to stop for some lunch. You thoughtfully stocked up on traveler’s rations before you left, so all you need is some boiling water to have a decent meal.

Challenge: How do your eating, drinking, exercising, and spending habits change around the holiday season? Reflect on changes you’ve noticed in the past, and those you expect to face during the upcoming holidays. This is a guilt-free exercise: we are objectively looking at what we know happens, not blaming ourselves. 

Bonus: If that seems easy, as a bonus challenge you can also report on what specifically triggers you to trip up, if anything does: pressure from family and coworkers (“we’re having cupcakes! Come have one”), lack of planning, lack of awareness? Are there any particular scenarios you find yourself giving in to every time, even when you think you know better? 

• Like 2

On the road at last! Shopping is fun, but the bazaar sure was bustling. It’s nice to get some space and fresh air. The last remnants of civilization fall behind you quickly as you hike through foothills towards the Yeti’s mountain, and after a while you decide it’s time to stop for some lunch. You thoughtfully stocked up on traveler’s rations before you left, so all you need is some boiling water to have a decent meal.

Challenge: How do your eating, drinking, exercising, and spending habits change around the holiday season? Reflect on changes you’ve noticed in the past, and those you expect to face during the upcoming holidays. This is a guilt-free exercise: we are objectively looking at what we know happens, not blaming ourselves. 

Bonus: If that seems easy, as a bonus challenge you can also report on what specifically triggers you to trip up, if anything does: pressure from family and coworkers (“we’re having cupcakes! Come have one”), lack of planning, lack of awareness? Are there any particular scenarios you find yourself giving in to every time, even when you think you know better? 

In the last 5 years holiday season means travelling back to country of origin for 2-4 weeks and everything changes. I revert a bit to my teenage self (no blame here, I'm in my old bedroom, living with my parents who would cook and clean for me etc), I meet lots of friends for meals, it's very cold and unpleasant to be outside, I have a car and don't need to walk. I also tend to pack up the health visits. The result? No exercise, lots of eating and spending.

My plan is to try to convince some friends to go out for a walk instead than a meal, but if it is below 0 I might pass...
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Oh the ways the holidays mess me up. This is the time where I try to cram more into the schedule. More friends, more people, more errands, more school events. I keep thinking "We can do one more thing" and then that day comes and there is no time to cook, or we aren't home. Then we end up eating out. But since we are eating out, that hits not just the waist line but the budget. The budget is already stretched thin, so we hit credit cards more, which is bad since we are trying to get off those. I try to get some of the shopping done ahead of time, but sometimes, you can't until you have the list from that person (My family sends lists to each other).

Exercise is almost non-existent on the days when I am with family or friends, since our families won't take walks. We are not generally going far, but they also consider it rude if while we day-trip we excuse ourselves to go get some energy out.

In the past, I would be less guilty about the cards and the food, but the budget is tighter since my school tuition beats against the budget so hard. I am trying to plan more effectively. Although if I hear one more "well if you would learn to say NO" about our schedule, I may lose it. (sorry, thing that came up during Thanksgiving).

We get hit by lack of planning and honestly, family pressure. This is the time where family not only does the "here eat this" but they also do the jabs that hurt, and next thing you know, you grabbed a slice of pie or another helping of dinner so you can ignore their "suggestions" on how to fix your life. I am getting better with the later of just letting them say their piece and then coming home to deal instead of in food.

BTW, I like this question. It is a reminder of what we will be facing soon enough.

• Like 3

My fall back gifts are gift cards, usually to amazon or restaurants. My older sister has 7 kids so instead of adding stuff to their house (it is overflowing) I try to do an experience. Last year I got them a gift card to the movie theater, enough to pay for a ticket for each of them and a little extra for snacks.

This year I am planning to be more mindful of what I eat and how much. Watching serving sizes and avoiding taking second helpings. Normally I go overboard eating all the tasty treats and foods. My spending habits tend to middle of the road I think. Not sure if my husband would agree lol. Last year I set myself a budget and the helped a lot. Exercise has not been a habit of mine so in the past nothing about that changed.

Things that normally trip me up. Appetizers, servings too large, and second helpings. 

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Thanksgiving is when I head to the "family" and I typically suspend any "diet" during that week - but try not to go completely overboard.  Last week (for instance) I just ate smaller portions.  Mom and I stopped into Qdoba before a movie and SHARED nachos and shared a dinner entree at our favorite little French Bistro (which a friend of hers runs\owns and the food is AMAZING).  The day of "the event" - I just try not to overeat.  I had one plate of Thanksgiving goodness - but I had a little of everything.  Now I'm right back "on track" at home.  Hubby and I will have Shrimp & Grits for Christmas - but other than that - it'll be business as usual.

What trips me up always are changes to my routine.  And as most of you know - I travel for work which pretty much f's up any sort of routine LOL.  Which is why I'm learning to control everything I can which is mainly breakfast, dinner and how much sleep I get.  I'm trying to work in a workout still - but babysteps!

• Like 3

"Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

My Recipe Thread

1st dozen-ish Challenges for the curious 12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,More attempts, #1 with Intro, Failed attempts

Spoiler

Quick Bio: IT Consultant, Been in IT 25+ Years, Bounced around and landed as a traveling Consultant for a medium-sized Software Company. I love to cook & read, I travel for a living (although amount varies widely, sometimes I'm home for weeks, others I'm traveling for weeks on end), and trying to move out of Atlanta (plan in place, working to implement).

I caught up! A lot of this doesn't apply to me, but I'll tag along and do what I can.

On 11/21/2017 at 12:04 AM, Wobbegong said:

1. Make a list of the people you usually gift during the holidays OR make a list of people you'd like to keep in touch with but don't

Our gifting is a bit different. Everyday from Winter Solstice through New Year's Day you get to open one gift. They're usually pretty small. And most of the gifts are little bags of holiday candy I put together. Fancy chocolates and stuff.

It's difficult for us to travel to my parents, so we'll take a day trip down on whichever day that week is most convenient. And we just go around in a circle taking turns opening gifts. My parents are huge on the wish list thing. Though I don't get a wish list from them because they know money is an issue. Most of the time I'll make them something. Last year it was a cake in a jar recipe. 

2. Share tips for how to save money and time when gifting OR tell us about your favorite winter food

Regifting and making gifts out of stuff you already have are great ways to save money.

I really like soup in the winter, but I only like it in the winter. I think butternut squash is my favorite. I need to learn how to make it.

3. Share your gifting fallbacks! What do you give when you have no idea what to do? 

I don't have fallbacks. I only really give gifts to my parents and wife, and I'm pretty good at knowing what they like.

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

18 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

So many small snacking meals that make it impossible to keep track of how much I have eaten. Lots of liquid calories (being allergic to eggnog doesn't help nearly as much as you'd think!). Lots of alcohol, hot chocolate, and huge meals with even bigger desserts.

Evenings and days will be super-busy and getting to the gym will be an even bigger challenge than usual.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

After a long day of hiking, you’re nearly at the base of the mountain. The sun will set soon, so you should use what light you have left to set up camp and settle in. But what’s that? Off in the distance, there’s a small spot of light -- a fire? Now that you’re focusing, you can faintly hear voices on the wind, too. You decide to approach this other group quietly, just in case they’re hostile; for you never know what dangers you might encounter in the mountains.

You get a closer look and are relieved to see it’s a group of travelers like you, probably on a mission of their own. It’s safer to sleep in a group, so you approach them, and they greet you warmly, happy to share their camp with a strong and able adventurer like you. They are on a mission, they tell you as you settle into their camp: a mission to find the Yeti of the mountain, who has been causing such trouble for the townspeople, and slay the beast. They wonder if a sturdy hunter such as yourself might be interested in joining their group and assisting with the mission.

You’re faced with a conundrum: on the one hand, it’s safer to travel in groups, and these travelers have been kind to you and welcoming. Slaying the Yeti would solve the town’s problems, but on the other hand... your mission asked you to negotiate a truce. The mission reward might be withheld if you do not follow the letter of the request.

Challenge: Answer the poll. If you cannot access google forms, PM me to record your response or reply in the comments. 

Bonus: How do your interactions with people change during the holiday season? Maybe you're an introvert and the holidays are a time of lots of parties that stress you out and empty your energy reserves. Maybe you're an extravert and you love the busy season, and the holidays are your favorite for that reason. Maybe the kinds of requests people make of you change or increase during the season. Maybe you're responsible for someone (such as a child) who often gets sick at this time of year. If you find yourself heavily burdened at this time of year, what are some things can you do to take better care of yourself? If you love this season, how can you make sure other people in your life are having as a good a time as you?

• Like 3
    On 11/20/2017 at 11:04 PM, Wobbegong said:

CURRENT MINI OBJECTIVE: 

Reflect on how your eating, drinking, exercising, and spending habits change around the holiday season

Self directed exercise at home goes poof.  I still try to attend all my exercise classes because my brain can at least manage the task of figuring out how to get me there without having to structure the work out.  Drinking stays pretty much the same...  I'll have a drink at parties, but I'm such a light weight that's it ends up only being one or two anyways.  As for eating, I am still trying to do intermittent fasting; this is my first holiday season while doing it.  However, I am giving myself a pass on skipping breakfast if there is a special occasion or something I really, really want to eat while I'm on vacation.  I know there will be a little fallback, but I'd rather let myself enjoy the experiences and work harder when I get back.  

PREVIOUS MINI OBJECTIVES:

1. Make a list of the people you usually gift during the holidays OR make a list of people you'd like to keep in touch with but don't

Just finished this!  It was actually really helpful to do.  I made a nice big spreadsheet and organized it by work people, dance people, home town people, etc.  I don't know if I'll get to actually see all of them by Christmas, so it's questionable if they'll all get presents, but it was nice to plan it out.

2. Share tips for how to save money and time when gifting OR tell us about your favorite winter food

I like to do a massive bake of something for my coworkers or people that I don't know that well.  I generally have most of the things on hand to churn out brownies, cookies, or cupcakes.  The one thing that will usually cause me to spend money is the packaging.

3. Share your gifting fallbacks! What do you give when you have no idea what to do? 

Usually food of some sort is my fallback.  Wine, Harry & David pears, chocolates, baked goods, etc. are all pretty easy and generally appreciated.  

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Bonus: How do your interactions with people change during the holiday season? Maybe you're an introvert and the holidays are a time of lots of parties that stress you out and empty your energy reserves. Maybe you're an extravert and you love the busy season, and the holidays are your favorite for that reason. Maybe the kinds of requests people make of you change or increase during the season. Maybe you're responsible for someone (such as a child) who often gets sick at this time of year. If you find yourself heavily burdened at this time of year, what are some things can you do to take better care of yourself? If you love this season, how can you make sure other people in your life are having as a good a time as you?

I'm definitely an introvert.  I still do like parties, but they're exhausting!  I tend to drag a close friend with me, so that I have someone to decompress with amidst the chaos.  If that's not possible, I usually find the pet of the house or hang out in the kitchen to help out.  I feel less lost if I have a task to do.  I miss when I was a child and it was socially acceptable for me to bring a book or sketchbook everywhere and go do my own thing while the holiday craziness buzzed around me.  It was fun and inspiring to do that.  ...but now I have to go be an adult and be part of the craziness.  Mergh.  I guess to take care of myself I should let myself have enough quality decompression time between events?  ...and I should probably also tell myself when I will leave a party at the beginning, so that I don't end up in the awkward position of hanging out till I'm the last one there and super tired (weirdly enough that seems to happen to me a lot because I don't have another person with me to talk about when we'd be leaving).  

• Like 3

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

20 minutes ago, Jlailin said:

...and I should probably also tell myself when I will leave a party at the beginning

I think this is a really reasonable and useful idea! Definitely a proactive way to make sure you're taking care of yourself. I often find that having "rules" to govern my behavior in social situations makes it much easier, so having a set end time that I could stick to would be helpful. 

• Like 3
    19 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

During the holidays, everyone wants to see us. Family we may only see once a year, or 4 times a year. We get pulled in a million directions because everyone wants to see us. And while we are grateful for all the love, we have had years with 14 Christmases in like 11 days. That was rough. And we are asked to do more because people want to see us, and generally that means they come to us but that also means my house has to stay cleaner for the family to come in. How do I take care of myself? Generally, I am not taking care of myself, but more worried about Eldest being taken care of since people are SO SO exhausting for him. So in a way, by making sure he has his downtime, then I get to take care of myself a bit. I do try to give us all at least one PJ day where we don't do anything and we don't even get dressed. I may still run around and do something, but we don't have any pressing concerns. I do love seeing people and the holiday, but some years, I really wish at least a couple of holidays were later.

• Like 2