Subduing the Yeti: Rebel Holiday Mini

Wobbegong

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

My rule is "Don't change your routine just because you've changed your schedule." Aka even if there's going to be an event tonight, go for a run in the morning, spend some time doing something relaxing, and stay on top of your diet.

I like this rule! I will make it my new motto for the holidays. Once I have a routine in place, that is :P

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

You’ve been hiking this path out here into nowheresville for a while now, and you’re getting pretty high up this mountain. Hopefully you’ll stumble on some Yeti tracks soon that will guide you to your destination, but in the meantime, it sure is getting cold. You haven’t seen anyone else since you parted ways with that other group of travelers, and it’s a little lonely up here all by yourself. In times like these, it’s best to take inventory of all the great things in your life to remind yourself things really aren’t so bad.

Challenge: Today (or tomorrow if today is kind of over for you), I want you to write down three to five things for which you are grateful. Some of you already have a gratitude reflection going on in your 4WC; for the Mini, please make additional gratitude statements. You are not required to post them here if you feel shy, but you are welcome to do so. 

Bonus: Write three to five daily gratitudes every day for a week.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Bonus: Write three to five daily gratitudes every day for a week.

That I can walk. That I have a talent for something (photography). That I have someone to share my life with.

Writing gratitudes everyday is going to become a challenge...

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!

2 hours ago, zeroh13 said:

Writing gratitudes everyday is going to become a challenge...

They say the more you do it the better you get at noticing things to feel grateful for, so you never run out of daily gratitudes. Wanna find out if that's true? Some people challenge themselves to do it every day for a year. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Challenge: Today (or tomorrow if today is kind of over for you), I want you to write down three to five things for which you are grateful. Some of you already have a gratitude reflection going on in your 4WC; for the Mini, please make additional gratitude statements. You are not required to post them here if you feel shy, but you are welcome to do so. 

Found my old journal from years ago. Turned to anew blank page and wrote down five things I am grateful for. I plan to make this a daily habit, at least through the mini.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

14 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

They say the more you do it the better you get at noticing things to feel grateful for, so you never run out of daily gratitudes. Wanna find out if that's true? Some people challenge themselves to do it every day for a year. 

Oh, I know. I've done it as a challenge goal once or twice. Still not easier. :P

• Like 2

Gratitude journaling hit a major snag when I failed to find the journal earlier tonight. This annoys me. As soon as I find it, I will relocate it to the end table by the bed, so it won't get lost again.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

After discovering this morning that my house was completely lacking food that can be prepared quickly and eaten for breakfast, I am now grateful for Starbucks.

Also grateful that I found my journal :)

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I am grateful for my friends, AKA my family away from home, and my family that is far but still has meaningful connections.

I am grateful for the joy I get from creating--art, cooking, baking, decorating, etc.  

I am grateful for my super snuggly cat that gives me unadulterated love every day.  <3 

I am grateful for Christmas decorations and all the pretty things!  Like Inazea said, those things can save a day! :D    

• Like 4

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

Cats are wonderful pets, and so much more affectionate than people in general seem to think. I love my cats. :)

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

There! Yeti tracks in the snow! You had hoped to find them up here, but didn’t count on it happening so soon. You follow the tracks up the mountainside, carefully in case of drifts or unseen drops. Yetis are known experts on this type of terrain, and it wouldn’t do to come so far only to freeze out here.

Snow begins to fall, and you quicken your pace before the tracks are covered over. The snow gets heavier and heavier, and sleet blows in your face. The tracks have all but vanished in front of you when you look up and see a dark smudge against the rock up ahead. It must be the mouth of a cave: the Yeti’s home. You’d best stop and take a breather before heading in; with the storm coming down heavier and heavier around you, you’ve got nowhere to go but forward. And who knows what kind of mood the Yeti is in. It’s times like these that really make you wonder why you keep taking jobs like this.

Challenge: Do you have any bad memories tied to the holiday season? Annual too-much-to-do, stress over a party gone wrong, the loss of a loved one? Take a few minutes and reflect on what, if anything, makes the holiday season difficult for you. If you want, post about it in the comments. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Cats are wonderful pets, and so much more affectionate than people in general seem to think. I love my cats. :)

This. So many people I know say that cats only see their human as a slave. My cats don't even like cuddles unless it's actually just them laying on top of me for hours without me being allowed to pet them but there is so much they do that lets me know they love me. 

• Like 2

Gentle eyes that see so much,
paws that have the quiet touch.

Purrs to signal, "all is well"
and show more love than words can tell.

Graceful movements touched with pride,
a calming presence by our side.

A friendship that will last and grow,
small wonder why we love them so.

Spoiler

I didn't write it, I found it here. There is absolutely no doubt it was written by a cat person though.

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

There! Yeti tracks in the snow! You had hoped to find them up here, but didn’t count on it happening so soon. You follow the tracks up the mountainside, carefully in case of drifts or unseen drops. Yetis are known experts on this type of terrain, and it wouldn’t do to come so far only to freeze out here.

Snow begins to fall, and you quicken your pace before the tracks are covered over. The snow gets heavier and heavier, and sleet blows in your face. The tracks have all but vanished in front of you when you look up and see a dark smudge against the rock up ahead. It must be the mouth of a cave: the Yeti’s home. You’d best stop and take a breather before heading in; with the storm coming down heavier and heavier around you, you’ve got nowhere to go but forward. And who knows what kind of mood the Yeti is in. It’s times like these that really make you wonder why you keep taking jobs like this.

Challenge: Do you have any bad memories tied to the holiday season? Annual too-much-to-do, stress over a party gone wrong, the loss of a loved one? Take a few minutes and reflect on what, if anything, makes the holiday season difficult for you. If you want, post about it in the comments. 
Ugh, hate to drop the heavy lifts first thing,
And a mild trigger warning.

I had been singing in the church choir of my local parish for years. One person with mental health issues got fixated with my sis and followed another friend home to ask where the triplets lived (I have two sister, bot 5+y older, I was in my twenties). She played dumb and informed us, but what do you do? We were more alert especially in church, and after the Cristmas celebrations we were exchanging greetings and my sis spotted him. I moved to get my coat and leave but got distracted. I was going up the three steps to go on the altar, but talking with someone on the back, when I heard 'Kiss me!, turned and basically fell into his arms while he was a step above me. I said no and pushed back. He got angry and hit me with an umbrella on my leg before I could be too far. People around went between, but he continued to shout 'bitch' and 'whore' and other things. I was shouting back 'sorry', but not in meaning sorry, I was angry. A friend that was hugging me suggested me to let it go, and that was why it ended. I felt so ashamed that all this happened in front of the tabernacle, where in my religion Christ is proesent in the Eucharist. After this I had been crying all Christmas lunch, having to explain this to my family who suggested me not to share with my grandparents not to worry them. I also took their suggestion of not pressing charges, but to alert the Parish Priest only.
I avoided that parish for years, meaning that part of my social community was a bit cut off and while God has been very good with me and I got a better life and community and I still have lots of friend in that one, it was hard at the time.

Afterwards, I also got very angry at my friend and family and myself because I had to be the better person and let it go, and then didn't even report.
I also got very angry at God that allowed this to happen.
I am grateful now for that crappy experience because a lot of good came out of it: I started not shying away and tell my story out loud and discovered how many women lived similar or worse experiences. I became the confident of many women and shocked many good men that never realised how spread it is because they reasonably think other people are at least as good as them.
I am also grateful because God held me in his hand and gave me so much afterwards.
I am not fully over it, and I won't deny that not every Christmas I am so at ease, but now, today, I am forgiving this person and feel ok with the experience.

• Sad 3

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

I have to say I have been blessed with no overly troubling experiences with the holidays just the too much to do bits. Until now. I found on Saturday that my older sister had her 7 children removed from their home. The kids are now living with my parents in a too small house, and my husband and I are looking into taking in at least three of them. My parents are both in their sixties, and the children range in age from 14 to 1 year of age. There wasn't any physical abuse. I believe the problems all fall under the neglect, but this is the third or fourth time over the last 10 years or so that they have been reported for the same issues. It has been doubly hard because the people who reported them are my brother in law's brother and mother. The concerns are understandable and the need for something to be done was/is real, but the timing is just the worst. So, yeah, hard Christmas.

• Sad 3

I have two. The first was an annual issue, and the second happened last year. 

The annual issue mostly has to do with being overwhelmed. When I was a kid, we used to host every holiday party: Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and an extra party on December 26th (Boxing Day for some people?) which is my mom's birthday. As a very introverted child, especially the three days in a row of parties were really rough. Every day would be the same: the 23rd would be a ton of shopping and stocking up, then the 24th would start with the cleaning. The whole house cleaned top to bottom, so that thirty people could come over and trash it. And then do it again the next day. And the next. I have so much family we see a different crew on Christmas Eve and Christmas, and the house would still be stuffed to the gills. Thirty people a night is not an exaggeration. 

All my life growing up, all I wanted was a quiet Christmas day. Morning gift exchange and breakfast and then an afternoon of quietly reading in common spaces, enjoying immediate family's company but not pressured to do anything or interact with anyone. I will probably never have that Christmas. These days, we only host Christmas Eve and the 26th, so it's a lot less intense, but I have a lingering sense of unease around this time of year. Even without all the hosting, and even being less introverted now, it's a lot of parties. 

The thing that happened last year is in the spoiler below. Warnings for extreme poverty, illness, and suicide. 

Spoiler

This one makes me so sad because I still think about it and think there was something more I could've done. 

I was walking to the train for my evening commute when I ran into a homeless guy panhandling on the street. I have a lot of trouble with homeless people, because I always want to reach out and be kind, but it takes a lot of emotional strength to hear their stories, and I don't always feel like I have that strength. People walk by them and look right through them, as if they're not even there, and I know it's a really dehumanizing experience. I've heard many of them say that even if you can't give any money, just a hello or acknowledgement that they exist is better than nothing. So I try to do that, but making eye contact makes it so much harder to keep walking. 

I wasn't in a rush, and something about this guy prompted me to reach out to him, so I stopped to chat. He asked me what day it was. 

He told me he was dying, he couldn't afford a hospital stay, and was living in agonizing pain every day. He told me his only wish was that he could die before Christmas, so he wouldn't have to spend it alone again. He told me in a city like San Francisco it was easy to find ways to eat for free every day, but what he really wanted was a place that was his -- so that he wouldn't die on the street. He said, "If everyone who walked by gave me one dollar, I could afford it. But they won't." 

I offered him a hug, and we held each other for long minutes and he cried quietly into my coat. He felt so small and frail. I never saw him again, and in a week someone else was sitting on his street corner, and it felt like he had never been there at all. But I will never forget him. 

And now that's what I think about around this time of year. 

• Sad 2

I don't really hold onto this memory in a way that negatively affects holiday seasons that came after it.  I do remember it because I actively solve it every year, so I don't run into it again.

About five years ago when I graduated from college, I decided to spend a Christmas in Chicago.  A lot of my friends had done it during college, and it looked like great fun. I had previously always gone home for Christmas because I was a student and my parents paid for my trips back to Hawaii.  This year, I planned to finally get in on the fun and have a smashing time with all my mainland friends.  Now, the silly part about this was that I totally didn't think about the fact that many of my friends I would have hung out with either 1) moved away after graduation, 2) had family in the area and planned to celebrate with them, or 3) ended up doing what I did all college and chose to visit their families elsewhere.  I did have a few friend Christmas parties that were on an earlier date not to clash with the actual family parties, which was nice.  I thought it would all be fine.  ...But then the night of Christmas Eve and Christmas Day rolled around, and though I tried to put on a bright face, I was achingly lonely.  My best friend that I'd been in love with had recently gotten married to someone else; then a guy I had fallen for confided in me that he had fallen for a dear friend of mine; my old roommate had moved away a few months ago; and at this point I didn't even have my cat.  I felt so very, very alone.  The day itself wasn't a terrible day--it just wasn't special being by myself.  It didn't feel like Christmas.  

By the time New Year's rolled around I was more depressed.  I didn't even have cable or a TV, so I couldn't even turn on one of those countdown shows to act like I was a part of something.  The countdown was anticlimactic.  There was no one to toast, no one to hug, no one to wish a happy new year.  But it was also at that point that I resolved to never ever spend a Christmas and New Years alone again.  Even if a Hawaii or California flight would cost me a pretty penny, it was worth it to never feel that horrible, heart wrenching empty feeling ever again.        

• Like 2

"Your dreams don't care how you feel."

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Current Challenge!

Specifically related to the holidays, I mostly just have to deal with some aggravation with people who assume that I celebrate Christmas. And the occasional person who's rude about it. The nonstop Christmas music everywhere sometimes gets annoying too. Usually when it's "I've heard this song or some variation of it for the fifth time this week and it's only Tuesday..." (Basically, I usually get a bit grumpy this time of year.)

Bad memories, that's my anniversary (the 28th). That's when I was hit by a car last year. It's only been a year, so I don't know how I'm going to feel. Right now, I'm juggling with "I need to make up for last year" and "I'm not sure I want to go outside that day."

There's also that this time last year I thought everything was changing for the better, but then life went and did a 180.

• Sad 2

I'm so sorry to read all your stories :(
My only bad memory for Christmas is that as a kid I was really ill one year and couldn't really participate in the celebrations.

My holidays have always just been fun. So I can't really relate.

I hope everyone has a better time this year -hug-

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

• Like 3

"Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection"

Epic Quest: Sif's list of awesome

Challenge: let's smash another year #low-carb #push-ups #intermittent fasting

Spoiler

Sif rises once more (~2020): 1

The Return of Sif (~2018): 1, 2, 34567, 8

The Age of Kibcy (~2012/13): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 89

I have gotten really behind on the posting schedule for this mini, so my apologies! We will pick up the pace for a little while to catch up. 

After checking to make sure you’re ready for anything, and taking a few deep breaths to compose yourself, you head into the cave. At first, you see nothing in the inky blackness; your heartbeat thumps in your ears, and your breaths come harsh and deafening. As you wait for your eyes to adjust, you reflect that a dark cave on a snowy mountainside is perhaps the last place you would choose to make your home. Just as you are beginning to reflect on the idea that maybe the next job you take will be on a tropical island somewhere, you hear something shuffling towards you from your left!

Challenge: What do you dislike the most about the holiday season? No judgement, no rationale, just what sucks? Maybe you hate picking gifts, or preparing your home to host a party, or incessant Christmas music, or you just resent the season in general. Think about it. You don’t have to share if you don’t want to, but feel free to do so.

If there is nothing about the holiday season you dislike, tell us what you look forward to every year instead.

Bonus: Have you ever tried to express what you dislike to anyone offline, and if so, how did they respond? OR, have you ever tried to experience the thing you look forward to at a different time of year, and how did it go?

• Like 2

Christmas is my favorite time of year, and I like pretty much everything about it, including listening to the same songs over and over lol. You have to get them in in the short time people don't complain about them. If I could change something about Christmas time i would be the weather. Only to ensure that it wasn't sub zero. I would have the temp hover right around freezing.

I would also give everyone more time off so they can enjoy more time with the people the love the most.

It seems kind of superficial maybe but that is how I honestly feel about it lol

• Like 3