• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Main Wolverine’s goal: being The Wolverine.

Fight. Train. Expose yourself to cold. Eat like a horse. Breath.

Spoiler

- Self-defence 2/week – 1 BER

- Running and sprinting 2/week – 1 STA

- Abs 2/week. Pull-ups 3/week (negatives at home or the real thing on tree branches). Push-ups 5/week – 1 STR

- Yoga 5/week – 1 DEX

- Cold showers and/or cold baths + breathing cycles – every day – 1 HEA 1 CON

- Food. With so much exercise and cold exposure I’m needing a huge amount of calories. This past challenge I drove myself back to a more proper nutrition -with lots of bread though, and still some sugar, but now, I’ll start to add more fatty foods to my meals to try and reduce the less healthy carbs.

· Assure myself I keep enough fatty foods at home.

· Plan my breakfasts for the whole week and follow said plan.

· Preferably choose fatty snacks for the afternoon pause.

1 CON

New stuff

Handstands!

Spoiler

I’ve wanted to be able to do them for ages, and I’ve practiced them a bit at other times, but never really got the skill, mainly because of lack of strength and no lack of fear*.

Lack of strength is no longer a problem, I am sure of that: I’ve checked and I am able to hold a declined wall plank, with my hands at about 30 cm. from the wall, for 1 minute, comfortably, which is more than enough to start working on handstands.

Fear of falling and fear of being upside down are a different thing… I’ll tackle first the upside-down problem, using my declined plank to walk along the wall, to help my brain understand how my body moves when I am upside down so to improve propioception. When I get to do this, I’ll start trying to kick up into a wall handstand.

3-5 minutes of practice 5-7/week – 1 DEX 1 CHA (because it’s such a cool skill) 1WIS (for conquering the fear)

*Prove of this fear is that it has taken me 24 hours to post my challenge, because I was scared that the moment I posted it I had to start working on them.

• Like 8

Went into the pool again this morning. 10ºC outside, water at 6ºC. I found it hard today to stay there for the whole minute. I wanted to get out, badly. But today I was prepared to work on my mind, I know its tricks. I said to myself I would accept the sensations, the cold itself, the pain (there is no pain anymore in my hands or feet like it was with the ice bucket exercise, but my nape hurts like hell). At some point my mind answered me that I could not bear it anymore and that I should get out, but I said "no, look, I'm staying". And I stayed. It felt like a victory. Then I came out and except for my fingers and toes, I felt warm and nice, and was in full control of what I was doing while I breathed. That's a victory too, my mind was way calmer after the bath than other days.

I didn't see any steam coming out from my arms or my chest today, but my boyfriend was at the window and said the steam was there around me, probably coming out of my back.

I've made a list of 6 different breakfasts that include more fat to be less carb dependent, and I am giving them a try during the zero week, to see if they are heavy enough. Today's one wasn't (a salad containing several types of lettuce, spinach, onion, 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 slices of bacon, homemade mayo. Ate a couple of small apples afterwards).

Went to self-defence yesterday, and it was quite a challenge for my brain in terms of laterality and coordination. Will probably go out to the country for my sprints and branch pull ups later in the morning. I'm thinking it would do me good to find a specific moment for the handstands every day, so I don't "forget"... Same for the abs, which I keep leaving for later and then the week runs out I don't do them (at least these ones I actually forget, it's not my fear playing games with me).

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, deftona said:

Following for the Upside Down and fear conquering!

Conquering fears is one of the most satisfying things in life... but so damn hard! I hope I'll succeed.

Thanks for following!

• Like 2

I totally understand your fear as I am in a similar position (backflips instead of handstands).    The biggest difference is that you are tackling yours head on, while I am distracting myself with less scary stuff.  Here to support you in your quest to defeat fear!

1 hour ago, zenLara said:

Today's one wasn't

Replace the lettuce with bacon and you will be all set :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

The biggest difference is that you are tackling yours head on, while I am distracting myself with less scary stuff.  Here to support you in your quest to defeat fear!

Well, I've been distracting myself for more than one year...

Which would be your plan to tackle backflips?

Thank you!

Replace the lettuce with bacon and you will be all set :D 

I might as well replace everything with bacon and forget about any other foods... Baaaacooonnnnn...

Resultado de imagen de homer babeando gif

1 hour ago, Ensi said:

Following again for cool stuff!! Ha :D

Ha :D

22 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

Really cool lookin challenge. I think I'll get comfy here ;) 

Thank you and welcome!

(don't feel bad about the big picture :D, but just in case you want, you can adjust the size by doing ctrl+right click and choosing edit image)

----------

I'm starting my challenge officially today, and it is a very exciting day because this is my first active day as The Wolverine :) so I gave my best on my run today. Hit my mark again for the uphill sprints (yay me!), and sprinted across two fields once more to end the downhill. Also did my pull-ups, but I was smart today and put my top over the branch so I wouldn't hurt my hands so badly against the bark. Then, at home, first walk along the wall. I have no problem lifting my legs to move them to another place, but oh boy, lifting my arm, that's another thing. I have strength enough to do it, there is no way I'm going to fall, but still my brain was at defcon 1. I understand that my brain is going through quite a lot since the WH started, so I will respect its fear, but I really want to get this done, so I kept working on it for a few minutes despite the stress.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Which would be your plan to tackle backflips?

At this point I have the strength, flexibility and coordination to do them (I used to do them before so I know the technique), the only thing I am lacking is the courage.  So far I have yet to come up with a good plan for solving this last step of the puzzle :( 

• Like 1

Wall walks is a pretty intense progression for handstands. I like it. ;) Another thing you'd might want to consider adding to the mix is learning the cartwheel bail. Super important. 

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

At this point I have the strength, flexibility and coordination to do them (I used to do them before so I know the technique), the only thing I am lacking is the courage.  So far I have yet to come up with a good plan for solving this last step of the puzzle :( 

If you could get someone to spot for you that'd be ideal. That and crash mats. Is there a gymnastics gym somewhere where you could drop in for open training? Or maybe parkour gym? Or even trampoline park? That's a bit different but it might still help in boosting confidence.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wall walks is a pretty intense progression for handstands. I like it. ;) Another thing you'd might want to consider adding to the mix is learning the cartwheel bail. Super important. 

Agreed - I was going to suggest the cartwheel bail, because it's easy to learn and removes the fear completely.

If you could get someone to spot for you that'd be ideal. That and crash mats. Is there a gymnastics gym somewhere where you could drop in for open training? Or maybe parkour gym? Or even trampoline park? That's a bit different but it might still help in boosting confidence.

I always found the backflip difficult, but I agree with all of this.

Looking forward to your adventures as always zenLara :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Wall walks is a pretty intense progression for handstands. I like it. ;)

If you like it that means I'm on the right path ;)

you'd might want to consider adding to the mix is learning the cartwheel bail

3 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Agreed - I was going to suggest the cartwheel bail, because it's easy to learn and removes the fear completely.

I suck at cartwheels :(

3 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Looking forward to your adventures as always zenLara :)

Nice to have you here! :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Hi Lara! Following! I can't wait to see what a level 2 Wolverine can do!

5 hours ago, Basement Cat said:

Following!

Hi and welcome, gals!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zenLara said:

I suck at cartwheels :(

Me too (especially when I learned the cartwheel bail). You don't need a handstand or a cartwheel to do a cartwheel bail / pirouette bail. You just lift one hand (for me my right) as you put the corresponding (right) leg down. (My handstand progress video contains a part where I learned this).

You can learn the forward roll bail or the bridge bail instead, but I reckon that they each teach cues that are opposite to staying upright, whereas the cartwheel bail doesn't interfere in this way.

• Like 1

I wish they places like that here.  Unfortunately for me, my best option at this point is to wait until I am at the beach next and find a place with a bit of a step/ledge overlooking some soft sand.  They had a good place last time I was there, but chickened out...

1 hour ago, SymphonicDan said:

You can learn the forward roll bail or the bridge bail instead, but I reckon that they each teach cues that are opposite to staying upright, whereas the cartwheel bail doesn't interfere in this way.

When I was learning handstands they only taught us the forward roll bail, so that has always been my default bail.  It has come in very handy throughout my life when I have needed to bail from more dangerous situations, like falling out of trees and sailing over bike handlebars.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Absolutely! Unless you do gymnastics, then a forward roll is probably might make more sense as a gymnast is more concerned about preserving momentum. 

The bridge bail is not a proper bail - that's just complete lack of control and makes me cringe. :P The cues there really are completely opposite for staying upright - for the forward roll, you're still technically trying to stay upright and hollow for as long as possible (though in practice that doesn't really work as you'll just anticipate the bail) 

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

When I was learning handstands they only taught us the forward roll bail, so that has always been my default bail.  It has come in very handy throughout my life when I have needed to bail from more dangerous situations, like falling out of trees and sailing over bike handlebars.

Rolls are great to learn, but generally speaking I find cartwheel bails much safer. The problem with forward rolls is that they take up a lot of space and unless the ground is smooth you run the risk of smashing into some obstacle like another person or roll over rocks or pointy things on the ground. With the cartwheel bail you always land on your two feet and you can make them very compact. (Side note - for circus people there's the additional advantage that you can cartwheel out from canes, which is not really possible to do with a roll)

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I wish they places like that here.  Unfortunately for me, my best option at this point is to wait until I am at the beach next and find a place with a bit of a step/ledge overlooking some soft sand.  They had a good place last time I was there, but chickened out...

Hmm shame. Are you sure though? Even if there are no adult classes you might be able to persuade a kids gymnastics coach to give you a private lesson or two. And those must exist.

Kudos to you for even trying to backflip on your own! I'm way too much of a scaredy cat for that. :P 

• Like 2

Are you sure though? Even if there are no adult classes you might be able to persuade a kids gymnastics coach to give you a private lesson or two. And those must exist.

I just looked online and it seems that all of the gymnastics classes I can find (both for adults and children) are "artistic gymnastics" (hoops, ribbons, balls, and ballet).  Basically just glorified dance classes :( 

45 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Kudos to you for even trying to backflip on your own! I'm way too much of a scaredy cat for that.

Apparently you misunderstand.  I am merely talking about trying to backflip on my own.  I am also too much of a scaredy cat to actually try :P

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I just looked online and it seems that all of the gymnastics classes I can find (both for adults and children) are "artistic gymnastics" (hoops, ribbons, balls, and ballet).  Basically just glorified dance classes :( 

Ah that sucks.  

5 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

Apparently you misunderstand.  I am merely talking about trying to backflip on my own.  I am also too much of a scaredy cat to actually try :P

That's still one step up from me. :D:D 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

You can learn the forward roll bail

then a forward roll is probably might make more sense as a gymnast is more concerned about preserving momentum. 

I learnt that when I went to that gym past year (with Nice, and Hot, and Negative Guy :D). But as I am starting with wall handstands, I can't use those. I'll have to learn that cartwheel bail, but it also scares the crap out of me.

Try looking for circus places. Where people train to prepare for the circus. There must be some place like that there. They have all the cool classes, and lots of big soft crash mats :)

Apparently you misunderstand.  I am merely talking

:lol: But that's the first step!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zenLara said:

Try looking for circus places.

I actually looked for that first (I really want to do trapeze) but there is only one school in Beijing for that and apparently they don't offer standalone classes.  It is an actual circus school where the students are there full time to actually work in the circus.  To get in you have to apply as if you were applying to a normal university and they only offer 4 year programs :(   Also, it is a 90 minute drive from me (one way in normal traffic)

7 minutes ago, zenLara said:

But that's the first step!

Yeah, but it can be a looooooooooong first step :D 

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I actually looked for that first (I really want to do trapeze) but there is only one school in Beijing for that and apparently they don't offer standalone classes.  It is an actual circus school where the students are there full time to actually work in the circus.  To get in you have to apply as if you were applying to a normal university and they only offer 4 year programs :(   Also, it is a 90 minute drive from me (one way in normal traffic)

Bummer.

17 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

That sucks. You might still be able to get a private lesson though! It's still a painful commute but maybe as a one off.

• Like 1