3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

You might still be able to get a private lesson though! It's still a painful commute but maybe as a one off.

Seconded. I had to drive 1h and half to my acrobatics lessons and I didn't mind because it was so rewarding. And private lessons are usually available everywhere.

• Like 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

He who conquers others is strong; he who conquers himself is mighty.

Adventures don't start until you get into the forest.

Focused morning. Did the breathing cycles, push-ups (not very good today, my arms were tired from the pull-ups), and yoga (enjoyed it a lot), and then went into the pool. 7ºC outside the water, 5 inside. Today my mind was actually scared while I was preparing to enter the water, but in our usual dispute it finally admitted that I feel awesome when I get out, so... I feel like I'm getting better at the brown fat thing. I didn't feel any warmth, but I was comfy in the cold. It seemed like my body was trying to send warmth to my hands and legs, and they actually felt a bit better. The steam was only coming out of my back today. My boyfriend touched it afterwards and said it was very warm, unlike the rest of my body that was as cold as it was supposed to be after all that cold. Progress.

After breakfast (this was a better one, even if it didn't involve any bacon *sad*) I got to do my chores, and then music practice. I want to e-mail BigGuy this week to see whether he can find some time for me (oh, god, I'm getting excited-scared again!). And then it was workout time, as I couldn't attend self-defence today (no car). I practiced some punches and elbow blows sequences that I've been having trouble with, then did one of those 80's abs videos (but NOT THE WIGGLING ONE, WhiteGhost), and then tried pull-ups again. They didn't happen, my shoulders cried out loud saying no. So went to my wall and walked upside down along it from one corner to the other and back twice. I had to stop in between to rest and to calm my brain, but otherwise it was fine.

A cold, nice shower and I was ready for lunch. Ate quite a lot, even by my standards, and still felt hungry. I'll pack a bigger snack for the afternoon.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The Wolverine - Level 5 // BER  6.5 // HEA  4 // STR  4.4 // STA  3 // DEX  4 // CON  4 // WIS  4.75 // CHA  1

3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Excited-scared is a good feeling! :) 

No-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not-no-it's-not

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, zenLara said:

I feel like I'm getting better at the brown fat thing. I didn't feel any warmth, but I was comfy in the cold. It seemed like my body was trying to send warmth to my hands and legs, and they actually felt a bit better. The steam was only coming out of my back today. My boyfriend touched it afterwards and said it was very warm, unlike the rest of my body that was as cold as it was supposed to be after all that cold. Progress.

I think you are doing the thing. :D

Hi!

I'm not sure how much I want to keep playing with Wim Hof. I want to stay cold adapted but baths and such are impractical so my brain starts with the excuses.

• Like 1

Love as thou wilt.

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

I think you are doing the thing. :D

Resultado de imagen de success loki gif

9 hours ago, annyshay said:

I'm not sure how much I want to keep playing with Wim Hof. I want to stay cold adapted but baths and such are impractical so my brain starts with the excuses.

I was pissed at first that I don't have a bathtub at home, but now that I think of it, I see what you mean about it being impractical. With the pool I always have the water ready, and as it is outdoors it is always cold enough. So I don't have any excuses not to do it. But if I had to prepare the bathtub every time... What about taking a walk a couple of times a week to your lake?

----------

I had some free time at work yesterday, and I was responsible enough to use it to practice. I'm actually scared about visiting BigGuy. Last time he was happy with my progress and now I feel like I don't want to disappoint him. I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to do things "right", which is not good. I play and criticise every f*** note. I really need to have a talk with myself about this, and stop "forgetting" about the e-mail.

On the bright side, I had a disagreement yesterday with one of my colleagues about the use of some materials needed for the classes, and while his arguments were senseless

Resultado de imagen de success wolverine gif

I was able to keep calm and redirect the conversation to a half-way point in such a way that he even agreed to submit a joint complain to the principal :D I am still amazed at myself.

And now, to the handstands wall!

Resultado de imagen de handstand fail gif

• Like 4

5 hours ago, zenLara said:

I had some free time at work yesterday, and I was responsible enough to use it to practice. I'm actually scared about visiting BigGuy. Last time he was happy with my progress and now I feel like I don't want to disappoint him. I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to do things "right", which is not good. I play and criticise every f*** note. I really need to have a talk with myself about this, and stop "forgetting" about the e-mail.

Ohh this is such a familiar feeling...! When feelings like that hit me, I tell myself, "gear up and show up".  Which means that if I just go, I can work with what I have. People understand that we usually do things as well as we can, and sometimes you just don't have enough resources to develop some area in your life. It's OK :)

Who's BigGuy, again? I can't remember him :D

• Like 1

-:*~ Journal ~*:-

8 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Could you concentrate more on the artistic/expressionistic side for a while to quieten the perfectionist side? Or at least work on ignoring it? ;) 

That's what I am trying to do, but I still criticize myself, as in "are you sure this is beautiful? Do you think you really understand that phrase? What is HE going to think about what you've done there?" :hopelessness:

8 hours ago, annyshay said:

Always obsessed with my lake. *shiver* ;)

It's envy. Really. I'd wish I could have a place like that near home.

6 hours ago, Ensi said:

Ohh this is such a familiar feeling...! When feelings like that hit me, I tell myself, "gear up and show up"

Yeah, I know. And with this type of blockage the best I can do is just go and let him tell me what he thinks. But gosh, I am so scared.

6 hours ago, Ensi said:

Who's BigGuy, again? I can't remember him :D

I haven't seen him for a while, so maybe I didn't mention him recently. He's a BIGGUY! :D He plays the same instrument I play, only that he is a wonderful famous soloist, that accepted to give me lessons. He's a very cool guy, a very encouraging and clever teacher, but I have been postponing for months to take another lesson with him. I've been using the money excuse (I have to travel to London, where he lives, and the lessons aren't cheap), but that is obviously not the problem. The problem is I am scared, because I'm thinking that after our last meeting he will be expecting more from me, and it's driving me crazy. The first time I went to his place, it was just a "first lesson" try, and he was fine either with me coming back or not, but the last time he told me he was interested in giving me those lessons, because he said I am keen on the instrument and willing to change things, and that he doesn't usually get to teach people like that (I guess many many people ask him lessons as a way to get other things -concerts, access to top-notch music colleges, or just saying "I studied with X"- and not because they really want to learn from him specifically). So I liked a lot that he told me that, but it has also put a lot of pressure on me about how I want to perform in my next visit :):(:):(:):(:):( 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Machete said:

Following. I need Handstand accountability. I was nearing 10s freestanding before my shoulder fracture, and now I'm back to nearly zero.

Hi Machete!

I hope that shoulder is fine now.

What are your plans with handstands? As you may have seen I am faaaaaaar from getting a freestanding handstand...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zenLara said:

That's what I am trying to do, but I still criticize myself, as in "are you sure this is beautiful? Do you think you really understand that phrase? What is HE going to think about what you've done there?" :hopelessness:

Could you record yourself and do the criticising afterwards? No point in worrying what HE will think. He's going to think whatever he wants anyway, there's nothing you can do about his thoughts. 

What did you do last time when you played so relaxed and well, was there any particular exercise or mindset that you could get yourself into before you play? A cold bath? :D 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Lara!! It's 95 degrees here (35 C) and I tried to take a cold shower this morning, and I lasted like...30 seconds?? I don't know how you do it in the cold!

• Haha 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

On 24/11/2017 at 6:14 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Could you record yourself and do the criticising afterwards? No point in worrying what HE will think. He's going to think whatever he wants anyway, there's nothing you can do about his thoughts. 

I am recording myself to try to postpone the assessment to a better moment than the playing itself, but then I don't want to hear the recording :( I'm being irrational, I know. You're right that I can't know what he will think, and anyway it will be a mix of good and not so good things. Sometimes I get myself to think I should act like a mature grown up and use the lesson to ask him questions and let him help me to solve problems. Yes. And then I start playing and argh. However, talking about it is helping, thank you :)

On 24/11/2017 at 6:14 AM, Mad Hatter said:

was there any particular exercise or mindset that you could get yourself into before you play? A cold bath? :D 

:D Well, my mood certainly rises after a cold bath... Hmmm... Maybe I should start taking them right before my practice and take a swim in the pond near his house before the lesson :lol:

On 24/11/2017 at 6:51 AM, NeverThatBored said:

Lara!! It's 95 degrees here (35 C) and I tried to take a cold shower this morning, and I lasted like...30 seconds?? I don't know how you do it in the cold!

Magic!

Kidding. I've been doing breathing exercices to improve the vascular system, and I have gradually gone from a short fresh shower to cold baths, it's been another type of training indeed. I'm still wondering what will happen when winter starts and things get serious, though.

---------------

And today it was cold bath day! It was an easier day, because outside temperature was 10ºC, and the water was 9! What a difference from the usual 5-6 degrees. I felt quite good inside the water, I stayed for a minute and a half without trouble. Even my mind agreed it was quite nice. Then, outside the pool, I started the breathing and I definitely felt it. Something in my body changed the same moment I started using that breathing, and after a couple of breaths, my hands were WARM, and then also my back and my legs. By the moment I went into the shower, my whole body was warm to the touch, till the point that warm water felt very hot and I had to step away from it because I felt an awful scalding sensation when it touched my back. It was f*** amazing!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

It was f*** amazing!

No, YOU are amazing!

• Like 2
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 hours ago, Ensi said:

You're making me want to take cold showers

giphy.webp

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

No, YOU are amazing!

Resultado de imagen de wolverine smiling gif

38 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Definitely doing the thing!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Resultado de imagen de wolverine claws in fire gif

Thank you guys! Have a nice day! (or what is left of it depending on your time zone...)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Ensi said:

ca058b3cced83d483526f26a8849a143.gif

Resultado de imagen de wolverine wink gif

6 minutes ago, Ensi said:

tumblr_o3w5bjEFMK1v6rvzqo1_500.gif

Imagen relacionada