Jump to content

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, zenLara said:

 I would need to warm up thoroughly if I wanted my muscles to work well, so what best than remembering the old times and tap dance the whole warm up! It was fun!

 

I imagined Wolverine tap dancing, and the mental image was awesome :D You're making such great progress, I love reading your updates :) And hooray for second breakfasts!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ensi said:

I imagined Wolverine tap dancing, and the mental image was awesome

I am a wolverine of many talents.

 

26 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Think it might be time for you to try to find some balance in your handstands

Resultado de imagen de scared gif funny

Eeeeer... I haven't even started on actual wall handstands...

 

35 minutes ago, Ensi said:

And hooray for second breakfasts!

 

31 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Second breakfasts are the best!

 

Hooray indeed! One of best things in life!

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

hmm, and yet you can walk along the wall? :) 

But... but it's still a plank :(  My hands are still at about 40-45 cm from the wall, a liiittle bit farther than what's shown in the picture.

Resultado de imagen de wall handstand

I've read somewhere that to consider it a handstand, hands have to be at 30 cm from the wall, tops?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it's definitely not a plank. :) I don't fancy defining what a handstand is, I mean you could argue that it's not a handstand until it's freestanding or you could argue it's a handstand just because you're on your hands. Doesn't really matter though. You are definitely ready to the next step and try to first lift one leg off the wall, and then eventually the other. I'd get my hands a bit further in though, it will be a tad scarier, but it will actually also be less strenuous to hold! Of course the closer to the wall you are the better the form and the more similar it will feel to a freestanding handstand. I would aim to eventually get your hands about 5 cm from the wall.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I'd get my hands a bit further in though, it will be a tad scarier

A tad. Only a tad scarier...

 

22 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

but it will actually also be less strenuous to hold!

That helps.

 

Ok, I don't promise, but I'll let my mind play with the idea of getting one foot off the wall.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You can do eeet!!

 

No need to rush though. It's all a process, and handstands are a particularly long one.  ;) All I mean is that I think you're strong enough and safe enough to take the next step. Even if that next step is simply moving 2 cm closer to the wall. :) 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, zenLara said:

A tad. Only a tad scarier...

 

That helps.

 

Ok, I don't promise, but I'll let my mind play with the idea of getting one foot off the wall.

What helps for me is lots of intentional bailing practice.  For example. When you get to a place you are comfortable with, decide you are going to bail, but just before the bail, move just closer to the wall. For me it reduces anxiety because there is no pressure to stay in the new closer position and I am already mentally prepared for the bail.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

What helps for me is lots of intentional bailing practice.  For example. When you get to a place you are comfortable with, decide you are going to bail, but just before the bail, move just closer to the wall. For me it reduces anxiety because there is no pressure to stay in the new closer position and I am already mentally prepared for the bail.

I think intentional bailing practice is good advice, but make sure that you don't do it too often otherwise the instinct to bail might actually override the need to try hard when you do it freestanding. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Good to see you back in action! Does Wim Hof have any advice for how to modify the cold showers training for times when the water is exceptionally cold (or not cool enough, like I have in Nicaragua)?

As far as I can tell his advice for really really cold is a smile, thumbs up, and a "right on". I personally haven't run across ways to make it cooler other than ice baths.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, SymphonicDan said:

Good to see you back in action! Does Wim Hof have any advice for how to modify the cold showers training for times when the water is exceptionally cold (or not cool enough, like I have in Nicaragua)?

Hey! How are you doing?

From what I've learnt, if water is too cold for you, you stay there less time. If you come out and you can't recover from it, you stayed for too long. WH insists that it is important to focus too on the moments after the cold water, to understand our bodies reactions and know when we are close to our limits.

If it is not cold enough, there's no solution but to add ice. Which is difficult to do to a shower. Unless you design a device that makes the water detour first through an ice container?

 

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

What helps for me is lots of intentional bailing practice.  For example. When you get to a place you are comfortable with, decide you are going to bail, but just before the bail, move just closer to the wall. For me it reduces anxiety because there is no pressure to stay in the new closer position and I am already mentally prepared for the bail.

 

5 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I think intentional bailing practice is good advice, but make sure that you don't do it too often otherwise the instinct to bail might actually override the need to try hard when you do it freestanding. 

 

So bailing, but not that much :D

Kidding. Very good advice from all of you. I'll rest today because all my arms and back muscles are sore (I could barely move without pain last night when I went to bed. I am better today, but still) but I'll experiment with all this tomorrow.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Tried to do some exercise today. Started by doing an abs video and then went on to try and redo my feat of 30 push-ups. It didn't happen. I was on my third set when at my 8th push-up I couldn't get up. I said to myself "I am doing those 2 little bastards and get my 10", so I tried again, and then my muscles literally failed and I found myself on the floor :( Tried some negative pull-ups afterwards (6), but didn't dare to try wall walks as I was scared that my arms could fail again.

 

I had some anxiety feelings again yesterday, probably because of a mixture of too much work along the week and not enough food. Went to bed early and now it seems to be gone. Anyway, I think I didn't focus on what was really important this week. I was eager to get back to exercise and cold showers, and I see now I should have focused on recovery and quality food. This seems to be a lesson I never learn: after an illness, prioritize recovery over everything else.

 

I've made my practice plan, I have a nice tracking sheet, and it's on: I've got 50 days to give the best of myself and get ready for BigGuy.

 

Water is been so cold lately, that today I was feeling scared when I was under the warm water, thinking that sooner or later I had to switch it to cold. I even thought "you don't need to keep doing this, turn your back on all this crazy WH thing, forget about it". Damn it was cold.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope you get some good sleeps and eats so you can get ready for kicking ass before meeting up with Big Guy again. :) 

 

20 hours ago, zenLara said:

Water is been so cold lately, that today I was feeling scared when I was under the warm water, thinking that sooner or later I had to switch it to cold. I even thought "you don't need to keep doing this, turn your back on all this crazy WH thing, forget about it". Damn it was cold.

 

No you don’t have to do any of this stuff. Just do it as long as you see benefits and get satisfaction from it. I’m not suggesting you should quit just because you had a few bad days, I’m sure it’s just because you’re still in recovery mode.:) I just want  to make sure to tell you that you’re awesome and badass whether you do the WH stuff or not and that there’s no pressure. :) 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

No you don’t have to do any of this stuff. Just do it as long as you see benefits and get satisfaction from it. I’m not suggesting you should quit just because you had a few bad days, I’m sure it’s just because you’re still in recovery mode.:) I just want  to make sure to tell you that you’re awesome and badass whether you do the WH stuff or not and that there’s no pressure. :) 

It was just a momentaneous feeling, a way for my mind to try and escape from the cold :D I still want to do the WH thing, because the benefits are huge and I think I still have room for improvement, specially in what concerns the vascular system. 

Thank you for the "awesome and badass" B)

 

I wore my Logan t-shirt yesterday for the first time, and nobody noticed *goes to her corner and cries*

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Final recap.

 

Ouch.

I'm so sad, but I am NOT leveling up. I still can have some points because of the zero and first weeeks, and for the effort during this last one, but that's all.

I'm a bit disappointed as I was so high on the Wolverine theme and wanted to reach level 2, but life is life. I hope next time will go better.

 

 

Main Wolverine’s goal: being The Wolverine.

 

Fight. Train. Expose yourself to cold. Eat like a horse. Breath.

 

 

- Self-defence 2/week – Attended 6 of 10 lessons - 0.5 BER     

- Running and sprinting 2/week – 6 of 10 runs done - 0.5 STA

- Abs 2/week. Pull-ups 3/week (negatives at home or the real thing on tree branches). Push-ups 5/week – Abs 5 of 10 sessions; negative pull-ups 8 of 15; push-ups 12 of 25. I got better at both pull-ups and push-ups, so I will still give myself 0.5 STR

- Yoga 5/week – 10 of 25, urgh. No DEX points for me.

- Cold showers and/or cold baths + breathing cycles – every day – 21 cold exposures of 35, this is not that bad. 0.5 HEA 0.5 CON

- Food. This started so well, but went to hell after I got sick. I still took care of it during my illness, but afterwards I somehow forgot about the goal and ate like crap and barely enough for a week. Baaaaaad Lara. 0.25 CON

 

New stuff

 

Handstands!

 

3-5 minutes of practice 5-7/week – 1 DEX 1 CHA (because it’s such a cool skill) 1WIS (for conquering the fear)Well, I had to practice them a minimum of 25 days, and I did it only 12. I am happy to say that I am maybe a bit less scared than I used to, and that I feel more in control of what I do when I am upside down. Still, no kick-ups. I'll give myself 0.25 DEX and 0.25 WIS, but that's all.

 

 

Resultado de imagen de wolverine crying

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, annyshay said:

I think this is the calm before the WOLVERINE STORM

It's coming

Resultado de imagen de huge storm trees gif

 

3 hours ago, annyshay said:

Also, listening to your body to recover IS a level up

Well, the thing is... I didn't?

Anyway, time to regroup.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/25/2017 at 2:25 PM, zenLara said:

It was just a momentaneous feeling, a way for my mind to try and escape from the cold :D I still want to do the WH thing, because the benefits are huge and I think I still have room for improvement, specially in what concerns the vascular system. 

I know and I didn't doubt you for a second. :) Just a reminder that we do these uncomfortable things not because we have to but because we want to. (Some more uncomfortable than others. ;) )

 

On 12/25/2017 at 2:59 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I have a feeling you are going to really kill it in 2018 :)

Me too. Can't wait.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...