My First Challenge

Hello Everybody,

I'm excited to be participating in my first challenge. ^_^

I don't have any nutrition goals as I'm quite happy with the state of my nutrition.

For fitness goals, I'd like to:

• Learn Self Defense
  • Learn Yoga
  • Keep my heart healthy (for stress management).

Those aren't very s.m.a.r.t. goals though, are they? hmmmm...

I guess by the end of the challenge I'll like to have...

• Picked a style of martial arts and learned how to simply hit and block properly.
  • Learned how to do a morning yoga routine without having to watch a video or Wii Fit.
  • Get 5 thousand steps per day. Right now I'm averaging between 2 thousand and 3 thousand.

Alright. I've got this.

image.jpeg.befcf59c98d88f4fc8ef1403c044f775.jpeg

• Like 3

Congrats on joining! You have some good goals there!

Couple of questions: Are there any specific styles of martial arts that you are interested in? How are you tracking your steps? I don't know much about yoga, I would have to watch a video!!!

Good luck to you!!

• Like 1

Laoch: (lay-uk)  Gaelic word for Warrior

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to you. - Gandalf
  • Why can't we have some meats? What about them? They're fresh....  - Snaga

hey and welcome to the boards! 

I practice tae kwon do and also do yoga occasionally. Do you have any ideas on how you are going to pick a style of self defense to practice? are there local schools that you're checking out? let me know if you have any questions, and I know that if you pop in on the monks courtyard on their challenge page with specific questions they are SUPER helpful and will be happy to talk. 

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

4 hours ago, karinajean said:

hey and welcome to the boards! 

I practice tae kwon do and also do yoga occasionally. Do you have any ideas on how you are going to pick a style of self defense to practice? are there local schools that you're checking out? let me know if you have any questions, and I know that if you pop in on the monks courtyard on their challenge page with specific questions they are SUPER helpful and will be happy to talk. 

You're right; the monks were quite helpful! I went in there to discuss my dream of Tai Chi being both a meditative skill and a self defense skill, but they very kindly helped me determine it might be easier going to learn the two categories of exercise separately. I do not have a school in which I am interested near me, plus I'm rather self conscious. I mainly want to learn a martial arts for self defense so I can survive a deadly encounter. For this reason, I think I'll check out Krav Maga. I did find someone to spar with me once I know what I'm doing. hahaha

• Like 2
On 11/21/2017 at 2:11 PM, Laoch said:

Congrats on joining! You have some good goals there!

Couple of questions: Are there any specific styles of martial arts that you are interested in? How are you tracking your steps? I don't know much about yoga, I would have to watch a video!!!

Good luck to you!!

I'm gravitating towards Krav Maga due to its "just stay alive" mentality. :) I'll be tracking my steps via a fitbit. I don't know much about yoga either. Like I've mirrored the Wii Fit a couple of times, but I had never taken it seriously. I feel like I could use more flexibility and tranquility in my life. ;) 

• Like 3

Badass goals! Being able to kick some ass would be awesome haha :D  I've always been interested in yoga. It will definitely be one of my future goals when I get the ok to do more flexibility-type things. What do you do for nutrition now? You mentioned being happy with it already. Do you do paleo or something else?

• Like 2

I shall not flag nor fail

3 hours ago, muffin04 said:

Badass goals! Being able to kick some ass would be awesome haha :D  I've always been interested in yoga. It will definitely be one of my future goals when I get the ok to do more flexibility-type things. What do you do for nutrition now? You mentioned being happy with it already. Do you do paleo or something else?

I'm a vegan, and I typically eat either one bowl of oatmeal for breakfast+lunch with like chia seeds and peanut butter and soy milk, or I back smoothies to take to work with me for both meals. I feel like I get lots of nutrition, lots of protein, and I normally feel full. I found low carb isn't good for my anxiety and depression, so I've eating vegan burgers on high-protein bread for dinner; neat stuff like that. :) And thanks for the encouragement!

• Like 2
On 11/21/2017 at 1:02 PM, Alessa said:
  • Learn Self Defense
  • Learn Yoga
  • Keep my heart healthy (for stress management).

by the end of the challenge I'll like to have:

1. Picked a style of martial arts
    • and learned how to simply hit and block properly.
  2. Learned how to do a morning yoga routine without having to watch a video or Wii Fit
  3. Get 5 thousand steps per day

Hi Alessa!  Welcome to the game!

Overall your challenge quests look good.  Though learning how to hit and block is undoubtedly going to take more than 4 weeks. :P.  But picking a style to practice is a first step in that process.  So that's a great quest to set you on your way!

• Thanks 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

I'm glad the monks helped! 

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

how have things been going though?  since some of your goals involved finding out about stuff-have you had trouble finding or perhaps in doing something with what you have found.

I have done yoga and three forms of martial arts; each time the key was to find a class and try make time in my life for it.

my problem has been sticking with it. idk.  maybe its not So much of a problem.  I have learned a lot in these classes.

but I do think that practicing any MA (martial arts) or Yoga WITHOUT a class would be much harder.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Hi Alessa! how's it going? if it's the catching up you're worried about, don't worry. you don't have to give us a full recap or explanation - just pop back in when you can, and rejoin your challenge!

• Like 1