Taoin's 3rd Challenge - Taoin finds her way

Taoin Sisu

So, this challenge is going to be different to the last two. My 4 year old toddler who has Down Syndrome will be having a tonsillectomy on 29/11/2017 to address his obstructive sleep apnoea. He'll also get a new set of grommets put in and maybe get adenoids removed again (they grow back). 

So, for 2-3 weeks, I'll be home with him, looking after him while he recovers. It's going to be difficult, and comfort eating is my thing. 

So what I want to do with this challenge is this:

1. Maintain my logging, never skip more than 1 day in a row. 

2. Maintain my meal prep. To help this, last weekend I did a month's worth of freezer meals that you can dump in the slow cooker. 

3. Begin daily walk 5am. For this I'll have to work around how Matthew is, but I'm going to go nuts if I'm sick at home all day for up to 2 weeks. 

4. Tidy up once a day. Nothing big, just get a handle on the chaos. To prepare, I have this Friday off and will be doing massive clean up to set things to "default". 

Basically I want to design my default habits /day, so that whatever chaos happens I can get them done. I think the most difficult thing will be the daily walk, because I'm so exhausted anyway, and I'm not sure what Matthew's sleep patterns will be like after the op. 

• Like 4

It sounds like you will have a few rough weeks coming up. I think the walking will help give you a few minutes to yourself each day.

Good luck with everything that you have going on this time around. I am following to cheer you on.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

18 hours ago, Taoin Sisu said:

3. Begin daily walk 5am. For this I'll have to work around how Matthew is, but I'm going to go nuts if I'm sick at home all day for up to 2 weeks. 

I have a friendly PvP thread for daily walks, and I have decided to restart that challenge on December 1st and go until at least a week past New Years. There's a handful of us right now, but you're welcome to join if you think a daily challenge thread might help you meet this goal. Link in my signature.

And following this because Matthew sounds awesome :)

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

On 11/21/2017 at 5:34 PM, Taoin Sisu said:

If you're stuck inside with Matthew and the wanderlust grows strong, you can always take up pacing around the house. It can be a little boring, but it's possible to learn to read while you walk, and the steps will add up. Not the ideal solution for cabin fever, but it'll keep you in easy reach of your kiddo. 

I hope the procedures and recovery goes well! And of course, best of luck with your challenge goals, they look great!

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

It sounds like you will have a few rough weeks coming up. I think the walking will help give you a few minutes to yourself each day.

Good luck with everything that you have going on this time around. I am following to cheer you on.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate the cheering on stuff :D

• Like 1
10 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I have a friendly PvP thread for daily walks, and I have decided to restart that challenge on December 1st and go until at least a week past New Years. There's a handful of us right now, but you're welcome to join if you think a daily challenge thread might help you meet this goal. Link in my signature.

And following this because Matthew sounds awesome :)

Hmmm, the PVP challenge sounds perfect for me. I checked out the old one, I might wait until the December 1st update as it's better timing

Thanks for letting me know! 

And yeah, Matthew's awesome. Er, "challenging", but definitely awesome :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

If you're stuck inside with Matthew and the wanderlust grows strong, you can always take up pacing around the house. It can be a little boring, but it's possible to learn to read while you walk, and the steps will add up. Not the ideal solution for cabin fever, but it'll keep you in easy reach of your kiddo. 

I hope the procedures and recovery goes well! And of course, best of luck with your challenge goals, they look great!

Thanks @Wobbegong!

And on an unrelated note how do you do a hidden section that you click to read, like your /Bean's bio (technical N00B here). 

• Like 2
24 minutes ago, Taoin Sisu said:

And on an unrelated note how do you do a hidden section that you click to read, like your /Bean's bio (technical N00B here). 

It might look different on mobile, but on my laptop I just click the little eyeball icon in the list of formatting buttons for posting: 

Spoiler.png

Then you just type inside the resulting box as though it were a quote box. 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Taoin Sisu said:

And yeah, Matthew's awesome. Er, "challenging", but definitely awesome :)

This I get. My Eldest has his... challenges and quirks as well, so I understand.

I just used the spoiler link. I stole the idea from someone else, @Athaclena I think...

• Like 1

Doing a practice walk at 5am tomorrow. The goal is to get out of bed, get dressed and get out the door. It doesn't matter how long the walk is, I just need to start. 

Here is a screenshot of my alarm :

Screenshot_2017-11-25-21-06-02.thumb.png.9a45617bcbe9c84b8bfc56208ae7c143.png

And I will post another screen shot tomorrow morning when it wakes me up. If it works out, I'll post it daily on the NFAW FB page as well. 

I also did 15 min + cleaning today. I logged today's calories and would have logged yesterday's but it need to load a new recipe into MFP.

Meal prep tomorrow night for the week. 

Checked out my Libra app and reset my goals on Libra for weight loss. My expected weight loss goal date given my current rate of loss is mid 2019. Was kind of hoping for end of 2018 but as I'm not sticking strictly to my calorie limit and not doing any exercise, I guess this is just reflected in my weight loss rate. 

Exercise is a real challenge for me, so the smallest step I can do is get out of bed at 5am and get out the door. 

• Like 4

Ok, did it. Approx 30 min walk. Took me 20 min to get my bum out of bed, clothed and out the door, which is pretty shocking considering that I wear my "active wear" to bed. Literally all I had to do was stick a bra on, put my shoes on and go... 

But I did the thing, and am ready to do the thing tomorrow and will keep doing it, subject to the weather (not doing rain, nup) or Matthew (he comes first). 

Screen shot of my alarm this morning :

Screenshot_2017-11-26-05-04-42.thumb.png.9a1d2201bc599baf54795d807be90130.png

I'll add more later, but in the meantime expect a week of boring alarm screen shots. :D

• Like 3

Are you using an app to track your walking?

Depending on your personality, you may find it motivating to see daily progress. "You have walked 4 days out of 7 this week", for example. Some find ti has the opposite effect, so  if it doesn't work for you, then don'tdo it. :) 

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32

Great job getting your walk in. Getting the habit started is the hardest part. I am completely okay with boring alarm screenshots.

But even if it took you 20 minutes to get out the door, you did it. Maybe tomorrow it will only take 15 minutes.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Are you using an app to track your walking?

Depending on your personality, you may find it motivating to see daily progress. "You have walked 4 days out of 7 this week", for example. Some find ti has the opposite effect, so  if it doesn't work for you, then don'tdo it. :) 

I have loop habits tracker app on my phone to track. Actually it tells you how strong your habit is out of a percentage. Because I walked today, I'm at 5% :D

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Great job getting your walk in. Getting the habit started is the hardest part. I am completely okay with boring alarm screenshots.

But even if it took you 20 minutes to get out the door, you did it. Maybe tomorrow it will only take 15 minutes.

Thanks Bean! Eventually I'm hoping for 5 min out the door... 

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Taoin Sisu said:

Thanks Bean! Eventually I'm hoping for 5 min out the door... 

I would love to be able to get out the door in 5 minutes ever. Instead of 5 minutes waiting on people to do coats.

21 minutes ago, Taoin Sisu said:

Ugh, spoke too soon. Had a crap day yesterday from being so tired, and Matthew was up through the night. Not enough sleep and I'm exhausted. 

:(

well, that means your streak starts at 1 again tomorrow. You will get there. Any chance of going out later today?

• Like 1

On 27/11/2017 at 5:56 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

I would love to be able to get out the door in 5 minutes ever. Instead of 5 minutes waiting on people to do coats.

well, that means your streak starts at 1 again tomorrow. You will get there. Any chance of going out later today?

I wasn't able to as I was working yesterday and today. Matthew has his operation tomorrow and then I'll see how he goes with recovery. I might be able to go at nighttime when things settle down a bit. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Taoin Sisu said:

I wasn't able to as I was working yesterday and today. Matthew has his operation tomorrow and then I'll see how he goes with recovery. I might be able to go at nighttime when things settle down a bit. 

I hope things go well tomorrow. I will be thinking of you all.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Taoin Sisu said:

But Matthew comes first. :)

Sending thoughts your way.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

@Taoin Sisu

It's been a few days since you posted... everything okay?

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021