Taoin's 3rd Challenge - Taoin finds her way

Taoin Sisu

Take your time and focus on Matthew first.I just wanted to make sure you were okay. :) 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

HiThanks [mention=60584]Bean Sidhe[/mention][mention=70806]scalyfreak[/mention]and [mention=63447]Diadhuit[/mention] for posting. Matthew is home and ok. He needs pain meds and it's a bit difficult but I'll post more when things get a bit easier. 

I'm glad to hear all is ok. Take good care of him :)
  • Like 1

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Oh no. Lots of extra stress you don't need... and of course, poor Matthew. Hopefully he's not in pain at least. Sending positive thoughts his way.

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

That sounds like good news! I bet Matthew is happy to be home.

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Sigh. Ok, so maybe I should have called this challenge "Taoin loses her way".

My logging is hit and miss, my meal prep is down the toilet, I've barely left home let alone gotten any walking done as Matthew has not been easy post op recovery, and the housework has only been done sporadically and reluctantly because Matthew will wander out to the back room and point to the vacuum cleaner, which means I plug it in, he pretends to vacuum clean for 5 min and then he gets bored and I take over, because after all, getting the vacuum cleaner out and plugging it in its the hardest part, right?

I have currently escaped due to Matthew being asleep and hubby giving me a free pass. And am having dinner at Macca's... Enough said.

However Matthew has been given the all clear by the ENT today at the hospital and is due to start childcare this Friday, which is a day off for me, the first toddler free day I'll have had in 2.5 weeks. 

So respawn on Friday. I'll have 10 days to make something of this challenge.

I will say that my quest to have a "default day", where I can do the minimum to keep on even in adversity has failed. However what have I learned so far?

1. I would have continued to log if I had entered all of my slow cooker recipes in MFP in advance. I've been stymied in logging because we end up having dinner and I have no idea what the calories are and no energy to put the recipe in. 

2. My meal prep was screwed by exhaustion and upset by having to stay in hospital with Matthew.

3. I need to start walking daily to get anywhere and pay closer attention to my diet, however I'm still stuck with difficulties with exhaustion at night time and early wake up times by Matthew. 

4. While the slow cooker meals definitely helped, I don't think the recipes will work out. The ones I did calculate are higher in calories than I'm used to, and the cooking times suggest 6-8 hours but they were getting overcooked. The concept works, but I need to tweak things.

I am utterly not motivated at the moment, and Friday will be a day for me, but I think with some tweaking I can get back on the horse.

Maybe I should reset the challenges to the tweaks above so I am ready to start again next challenge?

I love my toddler so much, however I knew it was going to be difficult with his surgery and recovery. His behaviour has suffered (although his sleep has improved) and right now I'm just trying to get through one day at a time. I have no idea how he is going to cope with childcare on Friday after I've been with him and catering to all his needs one on one for 2.5 weeks, but I know logically he'll be ok.

After Friday he had one more week at childcare for 4 days while I'll be working, then we both get Christmas break together. Next challenge for him will be going from pull ups back to cloth undies for toilet training, doing "picnic lunches" with me and hubby to try and get him used to eating a packed lunch for preschool, moving him to a toddler bed and out of his sleepy bag. Too many challenges and I don't feel up for any of it, but we don't have a choice. Preschool starts end of January, he's outgrowing the cot and sleepy bags and he's making no progress with toilet training while in pull ups (we had to switch back to pull ups at request of childcare, as his pediatrician prescribed daily laxatives for his low muscle tone, and the rest of it is TMI).

Thanks for your support guys, and sorry I've been scarce lately.

Roll on Friday...:)

• Like 2

Okay, so I liked it becuase of one thing you said in there.

4 hours ago, Taoin Sisu said:

Maybe I should reset the challenges to the tweaks above so I am ready to start again next challenge?

This is the important part. Not every challenge is going to go perfectly. For every challenge where I feel I rolled right through, that I had it down, I had one or 2 that were a mess. I think Tweaking the challenge and making it your own mini. With everything that needs "reset" pick just one or 2 things while you and Matthew are in a routine and then out of routine again. Maybe make it picnic lunches 2 days a week or something that is totally doable. Not a "This is what I want to do" but rather, a "this is what I can do, and what has to get done." Then your looking at a win and its a good step forward. It is something to build off of.

I am not going to lie. I lost my path a few times. Sometimes it is easy to get back, sometimes you have to wander a bit to find it. Just pick a direction that your pretty sure is where your going, and walk. Eventually you will find your way. ANd we are here if you need support.

Welcome. I was scarce a bit too. It happens. Show up when you can, we will wait, but we are also here when you need somewhere to go that isn't toddler.

Roll on Friday...:)

Enjoy your day off. I hope he is okay transitioning back to his normal days of childcare.

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

My logging is hit and miss, my meal prep is down the toilet, I've barely left home let alone gotten any walking done as Matthew has not been easy post op recovery, and the housework has only been done sporadically and reluctantly because Matthew will wander out to the back room and point to the vacuum cleaner, which means I plug it in, he pretends to vacuum clean for 5 min and then he gets bored and I take over, because after all, getting the vacuum cleaner out and plugging it in its the hardest part, right?

I have currently escaped due to Matthew being asleep and hubby giving me a free pass. And am having dinner at Macca's... Enough said.

However Matthew has been given the all clear by the ENT today at the hospital and is due to start childcare this Friday, which is a day off for me, the first toddler free day I'll have had in 2.5 weeks. 

I will say that my quest to have a "default day", where I can do the minimum to keep on even in adversity has failed. However what have I learned so far?

1. I would have continued to log if I had entered all of my slow cooker recipes in MFP in advance. I've been stymied in logging because we end up having dinner and I have no idea what the calories are and no energy to put the recipe in. 

2. My meal prep was screwed by exhaustion and upset by having to stay in hospital with Matthew.

3. I need to start walking daily to get anywhere and pay closer attention to my diet, however I'm still stuck with difficulties with exhaustion at night time and early wake up times by Matthew. 

4. While the slow cooker meals definitely helped, I don't think the recipes will work out. The ones I did calculate are higher in calories than I'm used to, and the cooking times suggest 6-8 hours but they were getting overcooked. The concept works, but I need to tweak things.

I am utterly not motivated at the moment, and Friday will be a day for me, but I think with some tweaking I can get back on the horse.

I love my toddler so much, however I knew it was going to be difficult with his surgery and recovery. His behaviour has suffered (although his sleep has improved) and right now I'm just trying to get through one day at a time. I have no idea how he is going to cope with childcare on Friday after I've been with him and catering to all his needs one on one for 2.5 weeks, but I know logically he'll be ok.

After Friday he had one more week at childcare for 4 days while I'll be working, then we both get Christmas break together. Next challenge for him will be going from pull ups back to cloth undies for toilet training, doing "picnic lunches" with me and hubby to try and get him used to eating a packed lunch for preschool, moving him to a toddler bed and out of his sleepy bag. Too many challenges and I don't feel up for any of it, but we don't have a choice. Preschool starts end of January, he's outgrowing the cot and sleepy bags and he's making no progress with toilet training while in pull ups (we had to switch back to pull ups at request of childcare, as his pediatrician prescribed daily laxatives for his low muscle tone, and the rest of it is TMI).

Roll on Friday...[emoji4]

Roll on Friday...[emoji4]

First, I am so glad to hear Matthew is getting better and better :)
Second, don't apologise for not checking with us, your family comes first! We are here when you need us, but don't feel that you #have# to check in with us!
Finally, I don't see you losing your way. Tough times ask for strength, and it's ok to fall back sometimes. Where you with the Rebels last challenge? Most of us all fell and I did with no excuse, no sick child, no family matters, just 'the sun is gone'. The important part is how we stand again, and you are so great you have it already started!

1. Have you tried an easier way to track food for 'emergency times'? I found the calories method so difficult that I cannot follow, but I can easily get an idea if I am eating ok with this method https://goo.gl/images/6A6VCJ
I started 4w tracking, adjusted to my needs (protein and fats together, wholegrain and refined sugar separate) and then introduced goals (now is at least 6 freggies, no more than 10 crap) and it is so useful for when you eat out, or at family dinners! You can still enjoy but put a limit.
2. If you use the slow cooker it means you did meal prep!
3. You need sleep too, you are not a machine! And with Matthew's slower than expected recovery it takes time out of sleep, walk, all. Talking about time alone, you did what you can :)
4. It looks to me that you have been tidying up daily, from what you said.

Many of us (read: I) don't have family to look after and do less than you do sometimes. Don't be hard on yourself or I should go hiding in a bush :D
  • Like 2

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

2 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Many of us (read: I) don't have family to look after and do less than you do sometimes. Don't be hard on yourself or I should go hiding in a bush :D

I was just about to say something like this. :D

@Taoin Sisu

The whole point of the challenges system and the "slow and steady" approach of NF is to make small/few gradual changes that you actually can make. If you feel like you're not meeting your goals, the problem is not you. You're doing your best and working hard at this! The problem is the goal is no longer realistic, because your reality has changed. Like Bean said, it is much better to lower the bar and change your goals to make them manageable in that situation. That way, you're setting yourself up for success, and that will make it both easier and more fun for you. (And less stressful, I'm sure!)

You're not losing your way. You are exploring and finding a new path that fits you better. :)

• Like 2

Book Riot Challenge 2021

4 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I was just about to say something like this. :D

@Taoin Sisu

The whole point of the challenges system and the "slow and steady" approach of NF is to make small/few gradual changes that you actually can make. If you feel like you're not meeting your goals, the problem is not you. You're doing your best and working hard at this! The problem is the goal is no longer realistic, because your reality has changed. Like Bean said, it is much better to lower the bar and change your goals to make them manageable in that situation. That way, you're setting yourself up for success, and that will make it both easier and more fun for you. (And less stressful, I'm sure!)

You're not losing your way. You are exploring and finding a new path that fits you better. :)

This, Life didn't turn into this overnight, it takes time to find what works and to learn to make that a habit instead of hte bad habits we have.

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your support everyone, it's really helped! I think if it hadn't been for this I might of just given up for a while and put it all in the too hard basket.

The last couple of days home with Matthew have been really rough, he's bored and irritable and wants his mummy to be happy and fun and most of all to do as she's told! 

Matthew is in childcare today for the first time in 2.5 weeks and mummy has a whole day off to herself. So today is recharge and recover and figure out where I'm going next with my goals.

20 minutes ago, Taoin Sisu said:

Matthew is in childcare today for the first time in 2.5 weeks and mummy has a whole day off to herself. So today is recharge and recover and figure out where I'm going next with my goals.

So today is Long Bath Day? :)

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

Unfortunately we don't have a bath, but I did spend a whole, blissful 3 hours sleeping to catch up, yay!

Honestly, more often than not, I would rather have the sleep then the bath

• Like 1

And people wonder why I don't have kids...  :P 

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I'm glad everything with Matthew's recovery turned out okay, and hopefully things are starting to settle down now. :)

On 11/25/2017 at 5:17 PM, Taoin Sisu said:

I have loop habits tracker app on my phone to track. Actually it tells you how strong your habit is out of a percentage. Because I walked today, I'm at 5% :D

That sounds really cool, and now I need to go try it out.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Zeroh, stick to the routine!