Jigme will settle for delusory sleep

Jigme

The title of the thread is a reference to The Six Root Verses of the Six Bardos, specifically:

At this time, when the bardo of dream appears to you,           

Abandon the heedlessness of the delusory sleep of a corpse.

Enter into the nature of mindfulness and nonwandering.          

Recognizing dreams, practice transformation and luminosity.

Dzogchen Ponlop Rinpoche. Mind Beyond Death.

I'm not planning on doing any dream yoga or lucid dreaming:  friends, I'd just like to fricken sleep through the night.  Bring on the delusory sleep of a corpse!  I've always been a light sleeper, but lately I've been waking up at 3 am and tossing/turning for at least a couple of hours.  I am tired all the fricken time (except at 3 am, apparently).  My most common thought during the day is fantasizing about naps, even in the middle of a good run.

Now, I do all the normal things: I drink on more than one cup of coffee, turn off electronics at least an hour before bed, have a good bedtime routine, and fall asleep pretty fast initially.  OTC medication makes me groggy, and I wake up in the middle of the night anyway, but then I'm tossing and turning groggily.  I got a weighted blanket last month, it did nothing.  I don't want to go on actual sleep medication, bc that stuff freaks me out:  I had a roommate who sleepwalked on Ambien.  Sure, she unloaded the dishwasher in the middle of the night, and that was pretty nice, but how weird!

But, my noble nerd sangha, I am still going to get this shit under control.  Here is the plan:

DEX
  • I didn’t follow through with this part of the challenge last time, and I’m afraid my back is paying for it.  Part of the reason for my sleep issues, I think, is waking up in the middle of the night with back pain.  Thanks, scoliosis and chronic illness that creates inflammation.  You’re real buds.
  • So, let’s try this again: yoga 2x/week (Tu, Th, bonus Sun night)

CON
  • (I’m still running; current plan:  M, W, F at lunch & bonus Sat morning)
  • This month’s challenge is unf*cking my sleep, which is a CON challenge.  I’m going to make more of a concrete plan to tackle it in the coming month.

CHA
  • I couldn’t think of any connection between charisma and sleep, so, of course, I googled it. Turns out, sleep deprived leaders are perceived as having less charisma.  Surprise!
  • Therefore, I’m rolling CON & CHA into one for these four weeks
  • ~look it's all my dump stats~

INT
  • (I’m still doing French/Swedish/codewars)
  • Try CBT techniques/worry journal so that I don’t stare at the ceiling at 3 am going over The Master List of Every Wrong Decision In My Life or Where Did I Put Those Gloves, Anyway?

WIS
  • Signed up for a free 30-day trial on Calm.  Going to do a body scan meditation before bed.

STR
  • This doesn't have anything to do with sleep, and it was the focus of my last challenge, so I'm putting it at the bottom as a 'bonus stat'
  • One of the archery instructors recommended that I work on finger and forearm strength. Taking @Kishi’s advice, I have not canceled my climbing gym membership, and will put it to good use!  I scheduled myself for a beginner climbing workshop and may possibly go to a bouldering meetup once a week.  I’ll get back to you on that.
  • Continuing the 100 Pushups challenge:  pushups Tu, Th, Sat
  • Full disclosure:  I’m just doing Week 1 over and over again, because I’m still struggling a lot with it

• Like 4

Week 0

Spoiler
DEX
  • yoga 2x/week (Tu, Th, bonus Sun night) - using an app b/c gym was closed for Thanksgiving.
  •   

CON/CHA
  • unf*cking my sleep -  I've been getting 8+ hrs of sleep, thanks to sleeping in in the mornings, but apparently that's not actually good for your sleep quality.  Maybe that's why I've been feeling groggy anyway.

INT
  • CBT techniques/worry journal - haven't started yet on account of the holidays.  The whole "worry appointment thing" works best on a regular schedule, whereas my schedule this week has fluctuated wildly.

WIS
  • body scan meditation - I've been doing this without the app, and it must be pretty damn effective, since I only get halfway through before falling asleep.

STR
  • pushups (Tu, Th, Sat) - took a week off to let the back recover.  It is doing a lot better, especially with yoga, I think.
  • ☒ ☐ ☐

• Like 1

Week 2

Spoiler
DEX
  • yoga 2x/week (Tu, Th, bonus Sun night)
  •   

CON/CHA
  • unf*cking my sleep
  • actually went to a doctor!  good job, me!

INT
  • CBT techniques/worry journal
  • taking this out, since the worry journal only increases my worry

WIS
  • body scan meditation
  • dropped this one, too.  Guided meditation just annoys me.  Let me sit in peace, bro.

STR
  • pushups (Tu, Th, Sat)
  • 5 pushups every day
  • is it getting easier?  not yet!

W0D3

Sleep log (prompts from this website):

• How many times you woke up during the night and what you did each time - about 3, but was able to get back to sleep
  • How much sleep you got in total - ~8hrs!  It was a good night
  • The approximate time you fell asleep. ~10 pm
  • The time you woke up in the morning to start your day - 7 am
  • Any other notes on how you felt and what you were thinking throughout the night - sleepy the entire day, even after my 6K run, when I usually feel energized.  I'd like to gauge when in the day I'm sleepier than usual, but it's not really possible - there's a constant desire to nap, kind of like static.  It's disappointing that I feel that way after 9 hours in bed and 8 hours of sleep, but perhaps I'm making up for the two previous nights' 3 am wake-ups.

Right now, 10 pm - 7 am sleep schedule seems the most conducive.  It takes me about an hour to get ready for bed, so I should be doing that...like...now...and not be on my computer.  Friday is going to have to be the exception, because I stream stuff with my friend (and have been for the last 3 years - it's pretty cool, actually!), but that should only set me about an hour off.

Also, re: pushups - I think the back pain may be connected to my stupid STR challenge, because there is a time correlation there.  There's a distinct possibility that I do not yet have the strength to do the amounts listed in the challenge while maintaining form.  I thought doing Week 1 over and over would be the easiest thing I could do, but I was wrong.  Maybe I should do the easiest thing possible, like, 5 pushups a day.  Sigh.  Injuries.

I hope your sleep situation improves. Until the last couple of months, I had a terrible time sleeping. It sounds like you have some solid plans to beat it into submission. :)

I <3 climbing. I don't get to go often. I hope you find something there you enjoy. Bouldering is neat. I know several people that prefer that to more vertical climbing; one friend says its like chess for him. There's a guy at the climbing center I went to that only boulders and he makes it look like Spiderman's spider bit him first. 

17 hours ago, PinkNinja said:

I hope your sleep situation improves. Until the last couple of months, I had a terrible time sleeping. It sounds like you have some solid plans to beat it into submission. :)

I <3 climbing. I don't get to go often. I hope you find something there you enjoy. Bouldering is neat. I know several people that prefer that to more vertical climbing; one friend says its like chess for him. There's a guy at the climbing center I went to that only boulders and he makes it look like Spiderman's spider bit him first. 

There are some bouldering kids at my gym, and watching them is so intimidating!  I'm struggling on the lowest difficulty, and these guys are climbing upside down and backwards like little spider monkeys.  They have less weight to haul up!

W0D4 (Th)

Sleep log (prompts from this website):

• How many times you woke up during the night and what you did each time - 1 time, 3 am, for about 30 mins +.  Did body scan meditation until falling asleep.
  • How much sleep you got in total -  I stayed in bed an extra half an hour to make up for the mid-night wakeup, so I ended up getting ~8hrs.  However, apparently, sleep experts recommend sticking to your wake-up time anyway.
  • The approximate time you fell asleep. ~10 pm
  • The time you woke up in the morning to start your day - 7.30 am
  • Any other notes on how you felt and what you were thinking throughout the night - felt great in the morning, but lost energy rapidly throughout the day, which is not surprising, because we were hosting Friendsgiving, and I spent the day cleaning, then socializing.  I was considering doing a Turkey Trot in the morning, but wimped out when considering running in a large crowd.  Those kinds of environments tend to sap my energy extra fast, and I had to save some for the dinner!  I was hiding out in my bedroom a couple of times throughout the night anyway, but the party was definitely a success.

W0D5 (Fri)

• How many times you woke up during the night and what you did each time - tossed and turned a lot.  Woke up at 3 to get some water.
  • How much sleep you got in total - 7 hours.  I went to bed late after the Thanksgiving party, but decided to stick to the wake-up time.
  • The approximate time you fell asleep. 11.20 pm
  • The time you woke up in the morning to start your day - 7 am
  • Any other notes on how you felt and what you were thinking throughout the night -  I feel like ass.  From the time I rolled out of bed, I have been thinking about how much I would like a nap.The weather is fabulous, there's plenty of work to do around the house and yard, and I've been laying on the couch for three hours trying to stay awake, but not move around too much.  That's just ridiculous, seven hours is a respectable amount of sleep, but not for me, apparently.
  • Like 1

Having a lack of sleep is a huge pain, sorry to hear about you trouble.  Have you had a sleep study done?  I hated having to do mine but after spending days being exhausted like you are talking about I finally went and had one done.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (to an extreme that my doc was surprised I had not had a stroke yet) and was given a cpap...I do not like it but will say there is a major difference the days after I use it to the times I don't.  In any case I hope you can not only find a solution but also the cause so you can be over this issue for good.

good luck, now go to bed.

“It’s the sensible, logical thing to do, of course, which is why we don’t do it.” -Tanis, Dragons of Autumn Twilight

"Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it." - Raistlin - Dragons of Autumn Twilight

Current Challenge

12 hours ago, mitch_dee said:

Having a lack of sleep is a huge pain, sorry to hear about you trouble.  Have you had a sleep study done?  I hated having to do mine but after spending days being exhausted like you are talking about I finally went and had one done.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea (to an extreme that my doc was surprised I had not had a stroke yet) and was given a cpap...I do not like it but will say there is a major difference the days after I use it to the times I don't.  In any case I hope you can not only find a solution but also the cause so you can be over this issue for good.

good luck, now go to bed.

I have not had a sleep study done!  I brought it up to my general practitioner, and the first thing she asked was whether I snore.  I am told that I don't, so she ruled out sleep apnea.  The thing is, it doesn't seem to be that much of a medical concern, because I do manage to get 7-8 hours of sleep.  Now, sure, I do it by being in bed for 10 hours and giving up hobbies and social activities, and then I still don't feel rested, but ... I still get that sleep, right?  So, she prescribed me an anti-anxiety/anti-depressant, which I do not take out of fear of side effects, and that was the end of my excursion into medical treatments.

W0D6 (Sat)

• How many times you woke up during the night and what you did each time - once - 4 am 
  • How much sleep you got in total - 8 hours
  • The approximate time you fell asleep. 11 pm
  • The time you woke up in the morning to start your day - 8 am
  • Any other notes on how you felt and what you were thinking throughout the night -  Feeling pretty chipper so far, kinda sleepy, much better than yesterday.  I'll try to stick to 10 - 7 tomorrow.

So!  In my last challenge, I had a bonus challenge set to attempt to cut 5 mins off my 5K.  I am happy to report that I just met that goal!  I ran a 35-min 5K for the first time!

Now, there were some weird outlying factors.  For one, I ran in my fricken minimalist sandals today, like some kind of a crazed hippie.  I have never tried that before, but my big toe has been looking pretty irritated...like, I should probably get some antibiotics in a couple of days irritated.  The climbing attempts have been put on hold, because I'm concerned about stuffing my fit into regular shoes, let alone climbing shoes.  In fact, if after this clears up, and I try climbing again, and my toe freaks out again, I may have to give up my climbing career due to stupid toe syndrome.

Speaking of giving up!  As an experiment, and totally not because I was busy stuffing my face with Thanksgiving food, I have not done push-ups in three days.  Aaaand guess what, my back feels better.  Goddamn it.  I swear, my form isn't that bad, I had a trainer look at it.  My abs aren't terribly weak either.  But something about what I'm doing goes right to my mid-back, where my spine veers off into new and exciting places that it's not supposed to.  I guess I'll try the 5 pushups a day approach instead of 100 Pushups Challenge.

• Like 2

Form doesn't have to be terribly bad in order to do terrible things. It just has to be bad enough. Mid-back pain, though... that's a new one on me. Most of the time, I expect to here about lumbar pain rather than thoracic pain.

A technical review may be in order. One of the best breakdowns I've seen of the movement comes from the folks at Calisthenic Movement:

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, The Shogun said:

GET SOME SLEEEP! So we can start practicing some lucid dreaming and astral projection and visit each other and have a Monk Hangout in our sleep. 

Now, drop down and gimme 20 push-ups! 

I WILL GIVE YOU 5!  FOUR TIMES! lol

Yeah, I wouldn't mess around with that lucid dreaming and astral projection stuff without a proper teacher.  I hear it's dangerous stuff!

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jigme said:

I WILL GIVE YOU 5!  FOUR TIMES! lol

Yeah, I wouldn't mess around with that lucid dreaming and astral projection stuff without a proper teacher.  I hear it's dangerous stuff!

I remember my first unintentional experience with lucid dreaming. At first, it was fun. I felt like Neo in the Matrix. But then, I turned and look at the dark corners of my subconscious and I learned that is NOT a fun ride. I forced myself to wake up... and I haven't had any experiences since then, but I'm still curious. 

One must still have chaos in oneself to give birth to a dancing star.

Current Challenge

On 11/26/2017 at 9:05 PM, Kishi said:

Form doesn't have to be terribly bad in order to do terrible things. It just has to be bad enough. Mid-back pain, though... that's a new one on me. Most of the time, I expect to here about lumbar pain rather than thoracic pain.

I've got scoliosis in two places in my back, and mid-back is where it's hitting.  I think I may record myself and compare my form to the video that you posted, because in my brain, I'm doing what the instructions say, but maybe the reality is different.

• Like 1
On 11/27/2017 at 3:50 PM, The Shogun said:

I remember my first unintentional experience with lucid dreaming. At first, it was fun. I felt like Neo in the Matrix. But then, I turned and look at the dark corners of my subconscious and I learned that is NOT a fun ride. I forced myself to wake up... and I haven't had any experiences since then, but I'm still curious. 

That sounds intense.  I don't try to have lucid dreams on purpose, since that is an advanced meditation practice, and I'm not at that level.  However, I have two types of commonly recurring lucid dream experiences:  having a nightmare and realizing it's not real, and then just flying the heck out of there; then, dreaming of my dog who passed away years ago, remembering that he passed away, then playing with the dog for the rest of the dream.

• Like 1

Exercise:  I ran 10K on Monday, which is the longest distance I've ever run!  I took a break at 7K, because I put a band-aid on my big toe to prevent it from blistering, and the band-aid was rubbing against another toe, causing IT to blister.  I can't seem to outsmart my own stupid toes, man.  The distance was kinda too far for me, tbh.  5K is where I live.  7, if I really have to.  I'm not training to be a distance runner, I just enjoy the mood boost that cardio provides, so maybe I'll stick with 5-7K for the future.

Today I ran 6K in my minimalist sandals again, and no blistering or foot pain.  My knee was acting suspiciously, but I think it's fine now.  I guess the only way I can outsmart my toes is to go full hippie.

Sleep:  I'm leaning more and more towards @mitch_dee's suggestion to do a sleep study, whatever my general practitioner says.  Yesterday was another 3 am wakeup; couldn't get to sleep for a couple of hours.  The night before that, I had taken some sleeping supplements, which was great, but then I was groggy the rest of the day.

Oh hey!  I forgot I was going to post some of my Unf*cking My Sleep guidelines:

1.  No electronic devices an hour before bed.

2.  Dinner no later than four hours before bed.  Light dinner at that.

3.  No coffee.  One cup of black tea in the morning is allowed.

4.  No alcohol before bed.  Possibly no alcohol at all?  I'll get back to you.

Turns out that the body scan before bed violates the no electronics rule, if I'm using an app, soooo not using apps.  There's one thing that I'm considering that I've been too chicken to implement:  if I keep waking up at 3 am, I could try starting my day at 3 am.  It's not like I don't feel sleepy at 7 pm.  I mean, that would mean I would never see any of my friends, who are on completely opposite schedules, but how much do I like my friends, anyway?  Just kidding, I like them.

• Like 2
15 hours ago, Jigme said:

That sounds intense.  I don't try to have lucid dreams on purpose, since that is an advanced meditation practice, and I'm not at that level.  However, I have two types of commonly recurring lucid dream experiences:  having a nightmare and realizing it's not real, and then just flying the heck out of there; then, dreaming of my dog who passed away years ago, remembering that he passed away, then playing with the dog for the rest of the dream.

I WANT THAT DREAM! I miss my dogs and I sorely need them. 

Current Challenge

14 hours ago, Jigme said:

Sleep:  I'm leaning more and more towards @mitch_dee's suggestion to do a sleep study, whatever my general practitioner says.  Yesterday was another 3 am wakeup; couldn't get to sleep for a couple of hours.  The night before that, I had taken some sleeping supplements, which was great, but then I was groggy the rest of the day.

Turns out that the body scan before bed violates the no electronics rule, if I'm using an app, soooo not using apps.  There's one thing that I'm considering that I've been too chicken to implement:  if I keep waking up at 3 am, I could try starting my day at 3 am.  It's not like I don't feel sleepy at 7 pm.  I mean, that would mean I would never see any of my friends, who are on completely opposite schedules, but how much do I like my friends, anyway?  Just kidding, I like them.

IT'S THE WITCHES! They wake us up at that time so we can have tea.

Current Challenge