• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WolfDreamer

Wolfen Becomes a Warrior Elite

every-man-dies-2-640x427.jpg

Update Day 3 (Wednesday):

• Woke up to alarm at 4:30am and said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer.
  • Drank a big cup of water.
  • Read the Wild Life devotional and used the SPACE method to read all of John chapter 9. In this chapter, Jesus heals a blind man by spitting into some dirt and rubbing the mud on the man's eyes and asking him to go wash himself in the pool of Siloam. When he does this, he is healed and can see again. This causes even more controversy between Jesus and the Pharisees because they've never seen anything like it and because Jesus healed the blind man on the Sabbath. Favorite verses: "We must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us by the one who sent us. The night is coming, and then no one can work. But while I am here in the world, I am the light of the world.” (vs. 4-5).

99ed2a29b2b485a90ef5b51550fa55e4.jpg

• Stepped outside shirtless and shoeless with Minnie; did a quick body scan, worked through the Primal Body Reboot joint movements, and ended with a 3 minute deep squat.
  • Took a cold shower and turned the water to hot at the end.
  • Leftover hot and sour soup for breakfast (no judgments).
  • Hugged and kissed my wife and daughters before leaving for work.

sBSWpdo1o6aWs.gif

• Made some Ethiopian Yirgacheffe coffee with Kerrygold butter and coconut oil.
  • Walked around campus several times today. Total steps: 14,300.
  • Lunch: sub sandwich with lamb, cheddar, spinach, Romaine, green and black olives, tomatoes, vinegar, and a dash of Caesar dressing.
  • 5 minute meditation that turned into a power nap as soon as I got home.
  • Worked with my mentor unloading lumber from his truck, backed his four-wheeler out of the garage and showed him how to check the oil and fill up the gas tank, took care of the chickens and helped him get a fire started to burn more trash.
  • Dinner: chicken wings, shrimp, green beans.
  • Called my mother. We talked about plans for Christmas, although we didn't actually make any. :confused:
  • Read the Prologue for LOTR. Ready to start Fellowship.

635882407586596277174989211_tumblr_nu82u

• Like 3

I don't really want to post about today, but as I learned from my friend @Tanktimus the Encourager, discipline is more important than desire (that's not exactly what he said, but...eh... let's just do this before I change my mind).

1394859-bigthumbnail.jpg

Update Day 4 (Thursday):

• Alarm went off at 4:30. Said the Lord's Prayer and then went back to sleep for another hour because Arabella woke us up last night wanting to sleep with her mommy, so I spent most of the night on the floor.
  • Did not read scripture and did not read my devotional.
  • Did not take Minnie outside; I was so exhausted I just opened the door and let her out, so no Primal Body Reboot movements today.
  • Skipped breakfast.

defeat_in_victory_by_wwudesign-d5t1v3k.j

• Kissed my wife and daughters before leaving for work.
  • Made coffee with butter (I'm out of coconut oil).
  • Did 40 push-ups at work.
  • Work sucked today. I really don't want to talk about it, but let's just say I was trying to be helpful, but someone misconstrued my intentions and manipulated what was actually said in order to make me look bad. I handled it, though.
  • Lunch: protein drink, trail mix, and onion rings

8eed.gif

• Walked around campus a lot today: 18,237 steps total.
  • Meditated for just a few minutes in the university library.
  • Worked with my mentor picking up scrap around the new property. I also climbed a ladder to his scuttle door (the hatch that leads to the attic) and brought down a bunch of artificial poinsettias for his wife to put out for Christmas. And, of course, I took care of the chickens.
  • Arabella and I had a daddy-daughter date at Burger King. I ordered to Whopper, Jr. with fries and she had a chicken nugget kid's meal. We had sundaes for dessert. This renewed my spirit and put a smile on my face for a few hours.

one_vs_many_by_ogi_g-d3bapyp.jpg

• After dinner, I took her on a tour of Rural King; she especially loved the baby chicks and the bunnies.
  • Finished up with a trip to Kroger, where I bought two kinds of juice that were on sale: lemon ginger echinacea and mega green (which has apples, bananas, and mangoes, but also spirulina, chlorella, broccoli, and spinach).
  • No LOTR reading today, but I did start listening to the audiobook for The Lord and His Prayer by N.T. Wright. A little over halfway through (it's a short book), and it has already transformed how I view the Lord's Prayer. Wright is a scholar and a compassionate author and has been compared to C.S. Lewis. It's easy to see why after reading this. Supposedly, his book Simply Christian is considered Mere Christianity for the 21st century.
  • I really need to get my damn schoolwork done. The level of hypocrisy when I talk about discipline is absurd.

8c0b4d44500dc1bf8d9c40a730a6529c--amazin

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I don't really want to post about today, but as I learned from my friend @Tanktimus the Encourager, discipline is more important than desire (that's not exactly what he said, but...eh... let's just do this before I change my mind).

• No LOTR reading today, but I did start listening to the audiobook for The Lord and His Prayer by N.T. Wright. A little over halfway through (it's a short book), and it has already transformed how I view the Lord's Prayer. Wright is a scholar and a compassionate author and has been compared to C.S. Lewis. It's easy to see why after reading this. Supposedly, his book Simply Christian is considered Mere Christianity for the 21st century.

It sounds like you had a very difficult day and walked through it well. I am glad that you posted, your openness had at least two positive effects in the world (probably many more). It is great to be reminded - often - that everyone has difficult days and we are not alone. Also, I just added The Lord and His Prayer to my TBR list and sent a recommendation to my library to add the e-book and the audiobook to their collection. So, thank you for that. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

thank you for that.

Thank you! It's great to hear that my posts had an impact. And you're right. We are all connected by our struggles and our victories because we all have good days and bad days. And I'm glad I added to your book list. If you're anything like me, it continues to grow, like hourly. :P

pile-of-books.gif

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Thank you! It's great to hear that my posts had an impact. And you're right. We are all connected by our struggles and our victories because we all have good days and bad days.

Exactly, we have to admit for all the good days where we rock it, there are days we don't. Thank you for being honest that not all days are perfect. Its great to see I am not the only one who struggles

• Like 1

Oh... Wolfen. I'm sorry the day felt like such a grind. May I help refocus?

9 hours ago, Wolfen said:
  • Did 40 push-ups at work.
  • Walked around campus a lot today: 18,237 steps total.
  • Meditated for just a few minutes in the university library.
  • Worked with my mentor picking up scrap around the new property. I also climbed a ladder to his scuttle door (the hatch that leads to the attic) and brought down a bunch of artificial poinsettias for his wife to put out for Christmas. And, of course, I took care of the chickens.
  • Arabella and I had a daddy-daughter date at Burger King. I ordered to Whopper, Jr. with fries and she had a chicken nugget kid's meal. We had sundaes for dessert. This renewed my spirit and put a smile on my face for a few hours.

This is not suck. This is integrity in the face of a very challenging day. No hypocrisy. I find that days like this reveal my true priorities. Yours continue to be SPOT ON. Head up, Warrior.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Exactly, we have to admit for all the good days where we rock it, there are days we don't. Thank you for being honest that not all days are perfect. Its great to see I am not the only one who struggles

And thank you for understanding and listening. My instinct on bad days is to hide and pretend the problems don't exist, but for me that's a very childish way of dealing with things (sweep it under the rug, hide it in the closet, choose your favorite metaphor). So as I get older, I get bolder, and I'm finding it very refreshing to be honest and transparent when I struggle. Sometimes my honesty gets me into trouble because I can be a bit too raw about it, but it's better to be fully me and to hide who I am. To use another metaphor, I like to keep my light burning bright, but sometimes it's a bit too bright, and sometimes it's almost snuffed out. So I need to fan the flames a bit to get it going again, if that makes sense.

3 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Oh... Wolfen. I'm sorry the day felt like such a grind. May I help refocus?

This is not suck. This is integrity in the face of a very challenging day. No hypocrisy. I find that days like this reveal my true priorities. Yours continue to be SPOT ON. Head up, Warrior.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you x infinity. This is why I love NF so much, people like you with big hearts and wise souls. I really appreciate it.

xUg5gER.jpg 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you x infinity. This is why I love NF so much, people like you with big hearts and wise souls. I really appreciate it.

xUg5gER.jpg 

Me too. :) Cheers!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Yes, it is. Although I lifted it from Steve, who lifted it from a thousand others :) Good job posting anyway.

No LOTR reading today,

Hey, I like LOTR.

I did start listening to the audiobook for The Lord and His Prayer by N.T. Wright.

Somebody else who likes N.T. Wright? This is awesome.

his book Simply Christian is considered Mere Christianity for the 21st century.

The best book review I ever did in Seminary was for Simply Christian. I called it the Postmodern update to Mere Christianity. Whereas Lewis reasoned his way into Christianity, Wright explains why it makes sense to him and how he thinks it applies to everyone else.

Following from here on. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following from here on. 

I am honored.

19 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Somebody else who likes N.T. Wright? This is awesome.

This is actually my first. And I wasn't aware you were in seminary. That's awesome. We have much to discuss. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wolfen said:

I am honored.

This is actually my first. And I wasn't aware you were in seminary. That's awesome. We have much to discuss. :D

The "Ranger Chaplain" title isn't just honorary.  I'm a professional Chaplain.

Spoiler

BA 2003 Howard Payne University, Double Major in Practical Theology and Bible, and I took every Greek Class they had.

MDiv 2006 Logsdon Seminary at Hardin-Simmons University, Pastoral Track

MA Religion 2007 same place as MDiv, in Theology 

Clinical Pastoral Education, 5 units, Christus Santa Rosa Hospital, San Antonio, TX 2009

Licensed To Ministry 1999

Ordained 2003

Pastored 2 churches and was Interim Pastor of a 3rd.

I'm a Chaplain at a hospital in San Antonio and volunteer as a Police Chaplain.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm a professional Chaplain.

That's awesome! Then I am really glad you are following, and feel free to chime in and comment anytime you want. I'm open for book suggestions, spiritual discussions, scripture study, anything you want to add.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

The best book review I ever did in Seminary was for Simply Christian. I called it the Postmodern update to Mere Christianity. Whereas Lewis reasoned his way into Christianity, Wright explains why it makes sense to him and how he thinks it applies to everyone else.

This sounds amazing, Tank.

• Like 3

“When Jesus gave his disciples this prayer, he was giving them part of his own breath, his own life, his own prayer. The prayer is actually a distillation of his own sense of vocation, his own understanding of his Father's purposes. If we are truly to enter into it and make it our own, it can only be if we first understand how he set about living the Kingdom himself.” ― N.T. Wright

• Like 2

"Personally, I'm not ready for the loss of fear. I like the sweet spot of fear and courage. That’s where mountains get scaled and rivers descended and the heroes still come home." -- Florence Williams

tumblr_o03ttf4tzf1rqos73o2_400.gif

tumblr_nq4peld3sf1qzft56o1_400.gif

ShyWindyHarvestmouse.gif

• Like 2

I forgot to mention that one of the members of Soulcon ordered a copy of the movie The Heart of Man as well as the participant's guide for me. This movie was only in select theaters for one day, and I missed it. They did a re-release in even less locations, but none in my area. I'm planning to watch it tonight. If you're not familiar, here's the trailer:

It's essentially a mix of documentary interviews and a retelling of the Prodigal Son parable. It's about how many of us find ourselves in a shameful place and are certain God will never forgive us or accept us. But the truth is that He is always with us and waiting with open arms, even running to us because His love is unconditional and eternal and His forgiveness is freely available to all of us no matter what.

• Like 2

Update Week 2 Day One (Monday):

• Woke up at 4:30am and said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer.
  • Went outside shirtless and shoeless with Minnie in spite of the 27F temperatures. @annyshay, frost is even more glorious by the light of a supermoon.
  • Did some Primal Body Reboot stretches and ended with a 5 minute deep squat.
  • It's Max Week for Soulcon. I had 100 pushups finished before I left the house to go to work.
  • Read scripture but did not use the SPACE method.
  • Meditated using three WHM breath rotations.
  • Took a cold shower and turned it to hot at the end.
  • Downloaded and started listening to Simply Christian by N.T. Wright (finished The Lord and His Prayer). So far it's really good; he makes some excellent points.
  • Walked around campus, looking up at the tops of the trees (which are mostly bare, but that makes it easier to spot squirrels, birds, and hawks) and also talked to a few people; 10,124 steps total.
  • Called my mom. She was shopping at K-Mart.
  • Read an article per a recommendation of Tim Ferris called Blue Zones of Happiness that talks about the happiest places and people on earth and some of the secrets to their joy. Answer: they actively pursue things that make them joyful (I'm simplifying, of course, but that's the basic idea).
  • My food intake was...meh. I had an egg and sausage biscuit for breakfast, chunky chicken noodle soup for lunch, and homemade sloppy joes for dinner.
  • Like 4

Update Week 2 Day Two (Tuesday):

• Woke up at 4:30am and said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer, then reset my alarm and went back to sleep until 5:30 (rough night).
  • My final total for max push-ups was 300 in 24 hours.
  • Went outside shirtless and shoeless with Minnie in spite of the 27F temperatures.

giphy.gif

• Did some Primal Body Reboot stretches and ended with a 5 minute deep squat.
  • Read scripture but did not use the SPACE method.
  • Meditated using the St. Patrick's Breastplate prayer:

f2c6703aecbf5be7b1862f5fd4e95361.jpg

• I'm not Catholic, but it's a really beautiful prayer. You can read it in its entirety here.
  • Did not take a shower, but I washed my hair with cold water and used a washcloth on the most important parts.
  • Did not listen to Simply Christian today. I wanted to listen to a podcast interview with Katy Bowman in which she talks about natural movement and about her book Movement Matters.

cef.gif

• Read some more of Fellowship of the Ring.
  • Did not do much walking around campus because we were busy, but I still managed to get above 10,000 steps. My watch says 9,611 but...
  • In spite of the cool rain, when I got home I changed into shorts only and took Minnie outside for a quick sprint around the field as well as a dip in the river.
  • Water temperature was probably somewhere around 45F (7.2C), but I submerged to my shoulders, breathing deeply but calmly, and stayed for 1 minute then crawled out. I sprinted again back across the field.

giphy.gif

• Warhammer: Freeblade has rekindled my love for mecha. I long to play Xenogears, but alas no retro console and no emulator.
  • I settle for watching Pacific Rim again (sequel coming soon).
  • Like 3

Update Week 2 Day 3 (Wednesday):

• Woke up at 4:30am, said the Lord's Prayer as well as a more personal prayer.
  • Went outside shirtless and shoeless with Minnie (26F, btw).
  • Did some Primal Body Reboot joint movements and stretches and ended with a 5 minute deep squat. I consider this deep squat time vital for myself and for Minnie. She likes to walk up to me as I squat and nuzzle me while I pet her for the entire 5 minutes.
  • Read some scripture, but still without the SPACE method; it's great, but it takes a lot of time because I really open up when I do it. I may need to make it an evening scripture study practice.
  • Drank a big cup of water.
  • Only managed 40 sit-ups for Max sit-up day. Too busy at work to just drop on my back and do some sit-ups.
  • Walked around campus and watched the squirrels. They're getting chubbier because they're cramming for winter. At one point I walked right up on one, and he hopped onto the tree next to me and just stared at me, flicking his tail cautiously. But he was so curious, and I stayed until I he'd had enough and skittered up the tree.
  • Had a great talk with one of my classes about making good life choices and learning from my mistakes, but it left me emotionally drained because one student kept nodding and saying "That's right," but she is guilty of many of the bad decisions I was speaking against. And she's not the only one.
  • This makes me wonder something: Motivational speakers like Tony Robbins speak to thousands of people, how many of those people actually do what the motivational speaker encourages them to do? Okay, that might be different because those people often spend a lot of money to see the speaker, and so you'd better have some kind of return on your investment. But honestly, out of the thousands what is the percentage of people changed by it? I know I'm working with teenagers, but some days I wonder how effective I really am as a teacher. Am I making a difference?
  • Headache started around 1:15. It sapped my energy. I tried caffeine, but it didn't help. At one point, my supervisor called me into his office just to ask if everything was okay. It got worse, and I left early (around 2:10).
  • Drove to pick up oranges from my daughter's high school. The marching band sells them as a fundraiser; after that, I went home to meditate/take a power nap.
  • This eased my headache a bit. Drove my daughter to work, then went to check on the chickens for my mentor.
  • Took it easy the rest of the day because I knew I had to pick her up from work at 10:30.
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Am I making a difference?

I am fairly certain a few of my teachers from middle school onward saved my life. They may not realize, but having somebody believe in you at the right moment can make all the difference. You probably won't know the impact you're having, but believe me your students are lucky to have you. Trust God to use you.

• Like 2