• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WolfDreamer

Wolfen Becomes a Warrior Elite

3 minutes ago, annyshay said:

I am fairly certain a few of my teachers from middle school onward saved my life. They may not realize, but having somebody believe in you at the right moment can make all the difference. You probably won't know the impact you're having, but believe me your students are lucky to have you. Trust God to use you.

Thank you for saying that. I know, I just have my moments of doubt.

Forgot to mention something else.

One of the courses offered on the West Virginia State University campus is called Freshman Year Experience. It is essentially an "intro to the college" kind of class, one that helps prepare incoming freshman for success at WVSU. One of the elements of this course is to invite alumni to speak to the students about such things as responsibility, respect, work ethic, etc. As an alumnus, I have spoken three times so far to three different freshman classes. I learned recently that one of the instructors, who is also a good friend, will not be returning to teach the course. He messaged me yesterday:

"Jason, I am going to recommend you to teach the fye class in fall of 2018. I don't know that it will happen, but you are the only person I trust to keep this crazy thing I've created afloat."

I'm not sure it's even possible, since I work full-time for Kanawha County Schools. While I'm located on the WVSU campus, I am not an employee for WVSU. In other words, it's not possible if it conflicts with my KCS teaching responsibilities. Oh, sure, I could quit KCS and work for the university if I wanted to take a huge pay-cut (like $20,000) and lose tenure. Not possible.

But it's awesome to know that someone trusts me enough to "pass the torch," and it is the kind of class I could teach successfully because it's a lot of motivational instruction.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Update Week 2 Day 3 (Wednesday):

• This makes me wonder something: Motivational speakers like Tony Robbins speak to thousands of people, how many of those people actually do what the motivational speaker encourages them to do? Okay, that might be different because those people often spend a lot of money to see the speaker, and so you'd better have some kind of return on your investment. But honestly, out of the thousands what is the percentage of people changed by it? I know I'm working with teenagers, but some days I wonder how effective I really am as a teacher. Am I making a difference?

You are not responsible for how they respond to your message, you are only responsible for delivering the message, and the attitude with which you do it.

Consider Ezekiel 3 and 33, in both of those chapters God likens Ezekiel to a watchman. If the watchman warns when the enemy is coming, then whether or not the people respond the watchman has done his job and the people are responsible for their fate. 

Consider also the call of Isaiah in chapter 8. God essentially said Go prophecy to these people who aren't going to listen to you and nothing you do will make a difference. Isaiah did so, and was a success. Why? Because God had not called him to change people's minds, but to sound the warning. You are in a similar position. It is your job to give them the truth. What they do with it is up to them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You are not responsible for how they respond to your message, you are only responsible for delivering the message, and the attitude with which you do it.

Consider Ezekiel 3 and 33, in both of those chapters God likens Ezekiel to a watchman. If the watchman warns when the enemy is coming, then whether or not the people respond the watchman has done his job and the people are responsible for their fate. 

Consider also the call of Isaiah in chapter 8. God essentially said Go prophecy to these people who aren't going to listen to you and nothing you do will make a difference. Isaiah did so, and was a success. Why? Because God had not called him to change people's minds, but to sound the warning. You are in a similar position. It is your job to give them the truth. What they do with it is up to them.

My man... You just... thank you. I really needed that. Thank you.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Wolfen said:
  • This makes me wonder something: Motivational speakers like Tony Robbins speak to thousands of people, how many of those people actually do what the motivational speaker encourages them to do? Okay, that might be different because those people often spend a lot of money to see the speaker, and so you'd better have some kind of return on your investment. But honestly, out of the thousands what is the percentage of people changed by it? I know I'm working with teenagers, but some days I wonder how effective I really am as a teacher. Am I making a difference?

I've heard motivational speakers talk, and they rarely make a lasting impact on me because I am a stranger in a crowd to them. They don't care about me because they don't even know my name. Their broadly applicable messages and personal struggles were interesting and temporarily inspiring, but did not speak to my own life. The most I hope for  from these strangers are some good stories and maybe a new idea or two.

On the other hand, my teachers have ALL made a lasting impact on me, in one way or the other, often in ways that I didn't even realize until I was much older. I remember every one of them. I couldn't even tell you the names of the motivational speakers I've heard at conferences and similar events. (Except for the road trip I took to see the Dalai Lama, cuz, duh, it was the Dalai Lama...) Sometimes I valued them for teaching me things, sometimes I valued them for treating me respectfully and making me feel worthy (teenagers don't get a lot of that - at least I didn't), sometimes they inspired me, sometimes neither of us knew it but they were giving me the shot of kindness or humor that I needed to get through the week.  A couple of them, I considered secretly to be surrogate parents but I could never tell them so. Sometimes kids listen and learn, but it takes a while to figure out how to put it into practice. There was at least one case where I only realized what the teacher was trying to help me with years later, and I could have kicked myself for missing out on it at the time. Even teachers that I did not like were still teachers; if I learned nothing else from teachers I didn't like, maybe I learned in retrospect that I should have been kinder to them and tried harder to respect and learn from them, or maybe I learned how to learn on my own when their methods didn't work for me. But it's all part of growing.

I am going to shadow Annyshay by saying that the simple fact that you are there, and trying your best, and care about them, can mean the world. 

I can't say thank you to all of my old teachers. But I CAN say it just as meaningfully to you, because I know you are carrying the same torch and there will be students, like me, who only realize the value of your lessons and support after they leave your classroom. So thank you from me, on their behalf.  

• Like 3

16 hours ago, CallunaTook said:

teenagers don't get a lot of that - at least I didn't

This was my struggle as a teen. I didn't fit in with most of my peers, and most of the adults in my life either ignored me or excluded me because I was still just a kid.

A couple of them, I considered secretly to be surrogate parents but I could never tell them so.

I just remembered that during my first year as a teacher I had a 12 year old student whose mother's parental rights were being terminated. He asked his social worker if I could adopt him. :(

maybe I learned in retrospect that I should have been kinder to them and tried harder to respect and learn from them, or maybe I learned how to learn on my own when their methods didn't work for me. But it's all part of growing.

I think about this all the time. I've had a few opportunities to thank and apologize to teachers from my past with whom I did not get along in the past. I'm even Facebook friends with a few of them now. My mentor with whom I do work (the one with the chickens) was my principal in junior high. I hated him then, but I was also a little troublemaker who didn't trust most men, especially men of authority.

17 hours ago, CallunaTook said:

the simple fact that you are there, and trying your best, and care about them, can mean the world.

Thank you so much. I'm sure you were an excellent student.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, CallunaTook said:

He does make a good point

Agreed. Usually, when I say it I say, "Let us not be led into temptation...," meaning I'm asking God for guidance to keep me from being led, by whatever source, into temptation.

• Like 1

Erg.

It's true that sometimes I am my own worst enemy.

I just finished and submitted my final project for one of my graduate classes, even though I just realized this evening that I had done it incorrectly. I just spent the last two hours doing my best to get it as close to the requirements as possible. If I'm lucky, it will be a C or D project. I messaged the professor the moment I realized my mistake, but I have not heard from him.

Basically, the assignment was to use Weebly and create a literacy unit plan with five lessons. I knew this, and so I essentially created a Webquest about William Shakespeare because as a high school English teacher I felt it would be an excellent resource for my students (which I thought was the point). I discovered this evening, however, that the professor wanted us to use 5 books from the USBBY or NCSS children's or young adult book list in each of the five lessons. That's the part I missed. So, I know I'm going to at least be docked some points for not having a bibliography because I created a unit on Shakespeare rather than a unit that utilizes those books.

I don't know why I missed this or why the project was such a disaster. I don't want to make excuses. I just want to learn from the mistake, accept the consequences, and move on.

Oh well. I guess I can at least share my Weebly with you all: http://wolfdreamer1112.weebly.com 

• Like 2

Apologies for the radio silence. Been in repair mode, defrag mode, whatever metaphor works for this situation.

I received a message from my professor:

Hi Jason,

Go through the USBBY lists and NCSS lists and see if you cam make some connections.  I am guessing you will find at least several books that you could include on your resource list.

Thank you,

IWL

Which means he's allowing me to make the necessary changes to get my project as close to his expectations as possible.

Surprisingly, he was right. I didn't expect to find books from the two lists that actually work with my unit, but there they were. I won't list all of them here. Just click on the Weebly link in my previous post and check it out. I'd love to hear your feedback.

Only other thing I have to share is this:

IT FINALLY FREAKING SNOWED!

Just a dusting, but last night while at work I stepped outside and stood in it, watching the flakes lit up by parking lot lights and falling so freely and lightly. I worked until 10:00, but as soon as I got home I took off my shirt and shoes and walked outside in the snow (thank you @annyshay). I stood for a few minutes, feeling the cold flakes on my skin and nestling my feet into the cold ground, and I just listened to the snow as it fell.

I hope this is a sign of more to come.

• Like 5

Update on my project:

I sent the following message to my professor:

Good morning,

Thank you so much. I was able to make some changes to my project and was able to find five books from the lists that work well with a Shakespeare unit. It's not a perfect match with what I had created, but it works. Thank you again for allowing me to make the corrections.

Jason

And his reply gives me hope:

Hi Jason,

No problem.  I am interested to see what you have come up with for your project.  Thank you for being open to the possibility of broadening the topic and making connections that are readily or easily made.

Thank you,

IWL

He hasn't graded them yet, but as of right now I have a 285/290 in the class.

• Like 4

Update:

• Alarm went off at 4:30am. I said the Lord's Prayer, and then I went back to sleep until 5:45. Rough night.
  • Read some scripture, no SPACE method.
  • Walked outside with Minnie shirtless and shoeless and did some Primal Body Reboot stretches.
  • Kissed my wife and daughters before leaving for work
  • Did 40 push-ups at work.
  • Did not walk around campus much; the university is out for the semester, so there isn't hardly anyone on campus. Plus, I was really busy and barely left the office.
  • I still managed 10,034 steps total today.
  • Took brief moments to do things like jump over a bench, crawl under a railing, and of course I took the stairs.
  • Stopped to see my mother today; she's doing well, except she needs gall bladder surgery.
  • Worked with my mentor clearing out drywall scraps and taking care of the chickens.
  • I have one assignment left for my 644 class. It won't be too difficult. I'll start on it tomorrow morning.
  • No grade yet for my big project.
  • Listened to a podcast that talked about the philosophy behind Bruce Lee's famous "Be water, my friend" quote.
  • Like before, I feel my motivation fizzling out. The good news is I can tell what habits I am already quite disciplined about and what habits still need time to work. Waking up early, for instance, I would say I'm mostly disciplined except on days when I did not sleep well. I'll get there, though.
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Update on my project:

I sent the following message to my professor:

He hasn't graded them yet, but as of right now I have a 285/290 in the class.

*Hugs* This I understand. I hate when you work so hard on something, and then you realize you did it wrong. Sunday night, I was dealing with an issue here (Agent Feline) and I had to take a final. I thought I had studied and I checked my answers before submitting it, but apparently when I checked a couple of my answers, I/it changed them. So I got a 69 out of 100. I am so mad it could cost me my A even tho I had a 95. So I totally get the frustration here. At least your instructor is working with you and I am sure you will do better than you think. Good luck.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Good luck.

Thank you. And I totally logged on to the forum this morning and thought, "Why do I have 20 notifications?" Glad you paid me a visit. :P

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

Thank you. And I totally logged on to the forum this morning and thought, "Why do I have 20 notifications?" Glad you paid me a visit. :P

Welcome. I have had plenty of those days. Although, I will admit, since I was gone a week, I was kinda shocked I only had like 9 notifications. Now don't ask what my "content I follow" list looks like... LOL

• Like 1

Update (Tuesday):

maxresdefault.jpg

• Alarm went off at 5:30 because I forgot to fix it (*sigh*).
  • Knelt and said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer.
  • Went outside shirtless and shoeless with Minnie (37F).
  • Brief Primal Body Reboot joint movement session; no deep squat

wolf_warrior_by_the_nonexistent-d59ck4y.

• Drank a big glass of cold water
  • Completed 20 push-ups before getting dressed for work.
  • No cold shower, but I washed my hair in cold water.
  • Hugged and kissed my wife and daughters before leaving for work.

You+have+a+Warrior%2527s+Heart+by+Debora

• Snow started falling later in the morning; I was like a giddy schoolkid most of the afternoon because of it.
  • It only amounted to a light dusting, but I still managed to get out of the office for a while and walk in the falling flakes (had to keep my shirt and shoes on, though, because work and all).
  • Campus gym is closed for the season, so I haven't been able to lift. Regardless, I've found opportunities for movement and to carry/lift objects while at work.
  • 11,041 steps total

a1be128a899f1c266912c0abbc2ffbc2.jpg

• Sat through a disappointing and distressing meeting with a parent and student; let's just say I learned about some things, and I could feel my blood pressure rising. I excused myself before I raged.
  • Worked with my mentor cleaning up discarded sheet rock and taking care of the chickens.
  • My wife's biopsy was rescheduled to tomorrow (Wednesday), which also happens to be a fasting/prayer day for the Soulcon team. I don't think that's a coincidence.
  • Walked outside barefoot and shirtless in the snow (28F) for a little over 5 minutes, breathing in the cool air and breathing out warmth and worry.

5e1647293be62495a4ade3f55c255b98.jpg

• Like 3

Update (Wednesday):

wpid-facebook_-2075008966.jpg

• Alarm went off at 4:30. Said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer for my wife. Her biopsy is today.
  • Went back to sleep until 5:30 because Arabella wanted to sleep with her mommy again, so I spent half the night tossing and turning on the couch.
  • Drank a big glass of water.
  • Today was the first fast for Soulcon, so no food for me.

9e2e989cf33c32a82fac63bb0748a65e--fighte

• Which reminds me: my wife's biopsy was supposed to be last week, but they called and rescheduled it today...the same day as the Soulcon fast/prayer. I don't think that's a coincidence.
  • Went outside shirtless and shoeless with Minnie; did some Primal Body Reboot stretches and joint movements.
  • Hugged and kissed my wife and kids before leaving for work.
  • Made some Ethiopian Yirgecheffe because without food I'm gonna need plenty of good coffee.

de649755dc87bee5dca16abbc085d5e3--warrio

• Completed 40 push-ups at work.
  • The university campus is still pretty much empty, and temps were just above 25 until later in the afternoon, but that did not keep me from walking around campus a few times, making a few trips to the library where I browsed the shelves and picked up a book my Anais Nin. Believe it or not, I knew nothing about her. Turns out she writes erotica. The writing is very direct (a common thing for that time period), but I only made it a few pages.
  • Spent most of the day in my office communicating with a student and her mother about her final assignments for me. This is a student who should be making an A, but her grade dropped to a D because of attendance and not completing assignments near the end of the semester. She admitted that she knows how smart she is, and it scares her. I sent her this quote:

our-deepest-fear-is-not-that-we-are-inad

• Regardless, I did not hit my 10,000 step goal. Just shy of it (9,234).
  • Did not call my mother. No excuses. Just didn't.
  • Fast became harder at dinnertime because I had to cook cocktail weenies for tomorrow's faculty lunch, and my daughter made pizza for all of us; also, my wife brought me a pickled egg, but we put it in the refrigerator.
  • Wife's biopsy went well, although she is sore. We will know the results next week.
  • Studied scripture in the evening with the SPACE method. I think this is a better time because I am more awake, and I have more free time in the evening.
  • New challenge idea: devotional in the morning, scripture study in the evening.

f1d9cf0898b28fc8a456677e945eda0d--bruce-

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

our-deepest-fear-is-not-that-we-are-inad

This. This this this this.

Also will be praying for peace as you wait and excellent news when the results from the biopsy come back.

• Like 2

Update (Thursday):

• Alarm went off at 4:30am.
  • Said The Lord's Prayer, then crawled back onto the couch (yep) and went back to sleep.

tumblr_omkxwbDxI31tfw4sdo1_500.gif

• Woke up later at 5:30am.
  • Went outside shirtless and shoeless with Minnie; did some Primal Body Reboot stretches and joint movements.

tumblr_o7efeo6qWq1u6z5poo1_500.jpg

• Had to pack up the crockpot full of cocktail weenies and an apple pie for today's staff lunch.
  • Hugged and kissed my wife and daughters before leaving for work.
  • Did not call my mom today. She appreciates it when I call, but sometimes it's awkward because she's more of a "talk on the phone only when I need to" kind of person. So am I.
  • Plank challenge today for Soulcon. I made it to 2:03.

8b57a83b4b95a083fffb7485783cf13f.jpg

• Our spread at work was ridiculous. At least seven different types of cookies, an apple pie, homemade meatballs and barbecue sauce, cocktail weenies, pralines, a cheeseball and crackers, a vegetable tray, buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips, and of course a variety of candy.
  • I ate too much, but most of my plate was meatballs and cocktail weenies with some broccoli and cauliflower from the veggie tray. I also had some of the cheeseball with a few crackers and a scoop of the chicken dip and some tortillas.
  • Not much walking today because the campus is mostly closed, and I needed to wait for a student to deliver her final essay.
  • Regardless, my final step count for the day was 12,761.

aXq7gX2_700b.jpg

• Continuing to read Fellowship. I'm making slow progress, but Bilbo has left the Shire and Gandalf has warned Frodo about the ring.
  • My favorite moment was when Lovelia Sackville-Baggins said Frodo didn't belong in the Shire because he's a Brandybuck. Frodo shouts back to Merry: "Did you hear that, Merry? That was an insult, if you like." Merry: "It was a compliment, and so, of course, not true."
  • I'm now on Chapter 2.
  • I think my next challenge may be strictly LOTR themed, and one of the top goals will be to finish the book (Fellowship, not the entire thing--let's not get crazy).
  • For you, especially @annyshay:

• Worked briefly with my mentor cleaning off a muddy electric cord, taking care of the chickens and rolling the trashcans down from the roadside to his house.
  • Took Bianca to a special ornament-making session at Hospice for families who had recently lost a loved one. She wanted to go, but she confessed later that it maybe it helped a little, but it kind of made her feel worse because she had to think about him again. I did my best to help her with the ornament, but I couldn't sit still the entire time. There were kids there who were making ornaments for their mother or father, and it nearly broke me.
  • I saw a former coworker who is raising her granddaughter because the girl's father was in prison. Her granddaughter was making an ornament for her mother. She didn't share the entire story with me, but my brain kind of filled in the gaps.
  • I realized one of my graduate assignments was actually due last week, so I finished it and sent it, along with a message of apology. He replied: "Thank you, and enjoy your holiday."
  • No grade on my project as of yet, but he did post that some people had still not submitted it to the dropbox. I'll keep you posted.
  • Did not read scripture before bed. No excuses. I just didn't.

66da39cc98880c33ed3c2a7289d1e633.gif

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Frodo shouts back to Merry: "Did you hear that, Merry? That was an insult, if you like." Merry: "It was a compliment, and so, of course, not true."

These are EXACTLY the moments of Tolkein-sass that I love.

LOTR themed

YASSSS

For you, especially @annyshay:

*siiiiiiiiiiigh* It may be time for a re-read. ;) Thank you for that. Saved immediately.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Wolfen said:

I finally know my grades for this semester.

CIRG 644 (Literacy in the Content Areas): A

CIRG 615 (Writing in the Literacy Curriculum): A

:)

ea2416c3480a4fd53bdf1116ae05df29.gif

Nice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/15/2017 at 8:31 AM, Wolfen said:
  • My favorite moment was when Lovelia Sackville-Baggins said Frodo didn't belong in the Shire because he's a Brandybuck. Frodo shouts back to Merry: "Did you hear that, Merry? That was an insult, if you like." Merry: "It was a compliment, and so, of course, not true."

The Fellowship if my favorite of the three books, because I love the wide-open feeling at the start of an adventure and I love the laidback banter that happens when all four of the hobbits are together. My favorite passage is a simple one, in chapter 5:

"There was a terrific splash, and a shout of  Whoa! from Frodo. It appeared that a lot of Pippin's bath had imitated a fountain and lept on high." 

Having such shenanigans written in elegant prose really cracks me up. 

• Like 4