• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Haha, finally after a couple of months of working (and years of talking). I finally starting a challenge with some goals!

Stopping at a door in a dark hallway, and old building at the corner of Sol Luna Verde Academy of the Practical Arts, shadows long from the nearby magically ran glass lamps on the wall that weren't maintained well. A new area of school I discovered today, where I can finally start my new adventure. I breathed  a sigh of relief when I confirmed the numbers over the large oak door open and  seeing the flickering of candles shadows. It was late for the night starting a short holiday, peering through the door I noticed a dark haired man sitting at a desk  facing away from the door.  I gave a strong sturdy knock onto the large oak door that seemed to echo through the old stone halls.

"Come in," the professor spoke with a welcoming low voice.

I walked in noticing he hadn't moved from his position, but was steadily writing something in large book with a large white quill.  My feet barely made a noise as I walked across the aged stone floor, feeling the heightened amount of energy in the room. The candles around the room, high on their wicks told me he was busy with something beyond my own controlled magical abilities.  Feeling an eeriness of the silence besides the room's crackling fireplace and the professor etching away with his work.

He looked over at me and gave me a nod with a stone face, he gestured the nearby soft chair for me to sit down.  I smiled and had taken a seat.

"How can I help you," the man asked still with a warm voice, but was still paying full attention on what he was writing.

"I've come here to apply for the alternative study program," I said with a clear but shaky voice. 

The professor's quill stopped moving and the eeriness of power I felt changed, as the candles softened a little, replaced with a gentleness of welcoming warmth. 

"So you have found me..." He turned to me now with a warm smile, setting his quill aside. "Did you bring the needed papers?"

"Yes," I said nervously, quickly opening my knapsack to pull out the small grouping of scrolls for the important papers I was told I would need to apply to the program. Papers that had shown the variety of classes I had taken over the last few years. Some from other schools and the new classes that I had been doing at this academy since I transferred last winter. Along with an essay to share my future goals, and how they may relate to a program that was going to help me get into an adventure.

"Thank you," he said when I passed unopened scrolls to him, where he opened and quickly scanned over them.

I couldn't help but notice that perhaps his smile was growing as he was looking over the papers.  However knowing myself, that could easily be my own hope to get into the adventure's program.

"Looks like you are able to meet the requirements for your classwork, everything looks good here."   I noticed how he only quickly looked over the essay that had taken me too many painful writing hours. "I can see your passion to enter my program. I more than understand the hope of having a bit more than just being stuck with your nose in the book. I'm taking it you already discussed with your advisor on lengthening your years here. "

I nodded and shrugged, feeling a little bit more relaxed after he brought up some of my requirements were met "I wasn't really planning on the fast track anyway." I barely had a clue where I was going, except I knew my joy of studying in the concrete walls was far from a personal joy.

"My only worry is knowing how some students  try to get into my program  who may think this is the easier way through the academy." He was now sitting back in his desk chair turned to me, with his legs crossed toward me. "I hope you have your journal on you?"

"Journal?" I felt a little faint. What did I forget, I never heard anything about a journal to have for requirements.

"The journal, the academy requires you to have to be a magical user," he stated slowly not seeming worried by my response. "While also hoping you use it as part of the foundation of your magical skills."

"Oh yeah..." I gave an apologized look, as I quickly pulled out the hot pink leather journal that I owned for the last last ten months.  I gave a small thank you to wherever in the universe that I started a small habit sometime in the last two weeks when I handed it to him. I had good intentions with the journal, my difficulty was more of making a habit out of it.

"Looks like you've gotten some work out of it." he noted as he held it in his right hand. Where I then noticed some black tattoos that covered the back of his hand, he closed his eyes for a moment. Not even moving to open the pages. "Hmm, yes a good strength of power in you. But not quite where I can accept you in the program fully... yet." He paused top open his eyes, and hand me back my journal.  "Your magic, and use of tools isn't quite balanced." He caught my quick look of confusion, and gave me a look of reassurance. "I mean I would prefer a better habit with the journal. When you enter the program, you will be surprised by how much is in our world that can go unseen easily by everyone. Our world is interesting, and I  need to be able to trust that you can survive the tasks I give you throughout your studies. Can't have any dead bodies in this class, the academy tends to frown on that." He gave a soft chuckle to his own joke.

I nodded to him, "So what should I do instead Professor...."

"Glen, Professor Ore Glen." He offered his hand to me for a handshake, "Nice to finally meet you Bouncer the Resilient. You'll see the last requirements you need to be able to take my class." He pointed to the journal I was working on getting back in my class. "Just a small quest, but enough to see if you can handle entering my program by the time the new year starts." He gave a nod, and a voice of optimism.  "If you happen to fail them within the next five weeks. I know we can still work on getting you into the program. However, I have high hopes for you being able to enter soon enough. Plan on coming to see me in four weeks, and we'll see where you are at."

He stood up to help walk me out, "Thank you Professor Glen," I said with a smile as I walked out into the slightly brighter hallway.

"Remember the quests are in the front of the journal, easy to find and easy to go to. anything you can figure out to help you grow will also help."

I nodded, confused what he meant being in my journal. Since I didn't see him open it. But I didn't feel it was the right time to ask question.

----------------------------------------

The walk to my dorm seemed to take forever, but knowing I better wait to check the goals until I could plan it out. When I lit the lamps and candles in the rooms to make it easier to read. Opening it, I found his hand writing on the first page with the black in. To my relief the goals were easy enough, however a tad boring then I had hoped. I already had been doing most of these goals. Taking a breath, I realized that the end of the term for studying was going to be long. But hopefully I was going to figure out how to do something a bit more interesting, soon enough.

Copied from last challenge/slightly edited:

5 main goals:

• Write a "Daily To Do List" daily
    • (technically I have a page for homework and another page for everything else, but if I write anything down on one page I'm more likely to use the other. Getting words on the page to start reserving energy on actively working on my to do list).
  • Write 444 words a day
    • It's NaNoWriMo... I'm embracing the writing, with a tracker within the fun game (so I don't have to remember to actually track it).
  • Walk to work on Sundays
    • the one days the buses don't go in my new town, over 3 miles one way (few hills) this will be nothing but a good training to my dream park job that I found out is 6 miles one way (with many large hills) (or another day of the week to make it up, when my mom talks me into driving her borrowed truck).
  • Apply to a New Job opening or Go to Interview once a Week
    • I need a new second job/I want out of my janitor job... I always get a job if I actively look for one (easy enough goal to work on before winter break, and still have a ways to go on settling in my new home)
  • Study 15 mins a day in both classes until Exams
    • If I do 100% of studying daily, I'm giving myself $200 for free spending money (I can't believe I'm giving it to myself, but this is a habit I've been avoiding. And need some habit before I walk into upper level classes next semester).  (Also changed my award from electronics, towards other things toward my goals but still more fun then I like spending). (Note exams are during Week Zero).

I'm looking into adding a few goals, along with changes to happen after the first week of this challenge my Fall Semester will be ending (and Spring Semester will be starting probably around the time the next challenge starts).

So far I've been 100% for awhile with writing this week (slowly working on catching up).

Missed one journal day yesterday.

My mom used her witty ways that I ended up driving to work (which was for the better that day in the end). Thinking of walking on Thanksgiving or Friday to the wooded area I haven't been to in over a month.

Other goals, I need to write up my present future goals that I want to add. But knowing I need to take it slow. However, I do know sometime this challenge I'm adding an exercise routine, since I realized a dream job right now involves being very active outside.

Edited by Bouncer the Resilient
making the story readible
  • Like 5

What's the dream job? And what classes are you taking? I remember you mentioned really liking your area's local history, but I honestly can't recall what you are studying but I want to say history? If you think it would be helpful and feeling like sharing a bit, you could maybe post something that you are learning in class here? We'd learn something random and you'd have a social way of studying :)

What's the general plot of your NaNo? (if you feel like sharing) and any idea what you'd like to spend the $200 on if you meet your goal? I'm thinking a new game for your free time, or maybe some hilarious socks. I enjoy hilarious socks so I assume everyone else does :P I got knee highs with a forest scene on them with Martians invading on them last year around Christmas time from my older brother. They would be amusing to wear on a short hike through the woods don't you think?

• Like 3

Welcome back, and your goals look great. You've inspired me to add some writing time to my challenge, as well.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

I followed through! I had an adventure!

mVRwCFu.jpg

(Floating trail that goes over a swamp, was interesting to see what new areas flooded in the last month).

zLSsHZn.jpg

Found the Ski hills that I applied to the other week. (On my adventure I found the scenic walk-able route to this place by accident.

ntRbwTJ.jpg

This is where I ended (actually a little farther down), I had wanted to continue on, but I knew I would hit my wall if I wasn't careful.

Wish I had gotten a pick of the steep hill I wasn't sure how I would get up at one point...

I liked how 75% of the walk had a lot of green space/non busy roads, my halfway point was unpaved wooden area. I Think I ended up less than the halfway point to the local state park in 1.5 hours one way... How I hit a wall before being home, I realized my stamina isn't quite up to my own par.

Thought to share the adventure right away. Since I actually had taken pics.

Found it funny that I left the apartment with sunglasses because it was so bright , 62 degrees F (17 C)... But most of the walk was cloudy and I was rained on a bit (but the sun came out after I got in the apartment....). Saw one deer I didn't think of taking a pic (I was wearing my hot pic so wasn't sure how well it could seen me, since it seemed shocked I could see it);

This walk defiantly gave me the idea of a different starting point I'm at... And I'm trying to brainstorm how to take an advantage for winter break and working out (without being the worst roommate toward my mother).

• Like 5

On 11/22/2017 at 7:30 PM, Leigh said:

I enjoy hilarious socks so I assume everyone else does :P I got knee highs with a forest scene on them with Martians invading on them last year around Christmas time from my older brother. They would be amusing to wear on a short hike through the woods don't you think?

Those sound awesome. My current favorites are knee socks which have a UFO abducting plastic flamingos via tractor beam from a beach. So weird, I had to have them.

28 minutes ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

Thought to share the adventure right away. Since I actually had taken pics.

Thank you for sharing! Nice pics. 

Good luck on the job hunt. 

So if NaNoWriMo ends in a few days, and NaNoEdMo is not until March, what happens to your NaNo goal on Dec 1? Are you sticking to 444 words per day?

• Like 1

On 11/22/2017 at 4:42 PM, RES said:

Love the walking challenge part! Back to watch you dominate this challenge :D 

Glad to have you here!

And as I was just reminded how happy walking adventures give me I have a feeling this will expand slightly over the period of the challenge.

On 11/22/2017 at 6:15 PM, annyshay said:

Goals look great!

Thank you :)

What's the dream job? And what classes are you taking? I remember you mentioned really liking your area's local history, but I honestly can't recall what you are studying but I want to say history? If you think it would be helpful and feeling like sharing a bit, you could maybe post something that you are learning in class here? We'd learn something random and you'd have a social way of studying :)

Haha, Leigh, welcome back to my forum.

Here's a catch up.

Dream job, I guess really for me now is looking for a job level up and new try outs to figure out what I want out of my job. Right now I really want to work outside, along with finding a supportive team atmosphere. I personally would love a job where I can get a better idea how a park is ran and the different jobs in it (like what my museum jobs ended up being in the past). Not sure if you remember about, last semester i ended up discovering I had found a better match myself for a major (Recreation Parks and Leisure Services (RPLS)). I was attempting to study Anthropology, but found that mentally painful. While with RPLS its fun and challenging (to the point where going to class was the perk of my week quite a bit this last semester).

The interesting part of a lot of park systems (state/national) here in the US is that parks preserve both human and natural history (reason why when I worked at one of the museums two summer ago, I was within a state park at the same time). I have many more reasons why I changed majors, and ended up doing a career change. Part of it was when I had a chance to work with Artifact collection last summer for a month, I kind of went a little crazy being stuck in a room without windows (and all cement...). While also finding myself checking out parks more than museums.... Plus being in nature makes me mentally happier and more productive, so trying to find a good job match now.

My classes this semester is two intro classes: Intro to RPLS and Intro to IT (both were requirements last semester to enter into the RPLS Major-which I got into officially last month). RPLS I'm passing with an A... And IT I think I'm about a B (the weekly homework got to me a little bit, but not as bad as lst semester where I was failing a class because I wasn't turning stuff in).

Will be sharing stuff, especially the Recreational Philosophy lecture bits from last week. (A biggie with the major is having to enjoy it, so you can help share the good in the world).

What's the general plot of your NaNo? (if you feel like sharing)

Will share this tomorrow!

Quick explanation though: I'm a full on Rebel this year(not doing one brand new novel for the month). I'm partly working on writing the RPG story world notes for my challenge story. While also reworking an old NaNo from 4 years ago.

any idea what you'd like to spend the $200 on if you meet your goal? I'm thinking a new game for your free time

Hehe, the $200 kind of went toward a PSP4 that I found for $200 at black Friday yesterday... (My brother AND mother both gave me there blessing to get it, so that's what it ended up being). The unopened box is staring at me, so glad in a way my exams are less than a week away now...

maybe some hilarious socks. I enjoy hilarious socks so I assume everyone else does :P I got knee highs with a forest scene on them with Martians invading on them last year around Christmas time from my older brother. They would be amusing to wear on a short hike through the woods don't you think?

54 minutes ago, CallunaTook said:

Those sound awesome. My current favorites are knee socks which have a UFO abducting plastic flamingos via tractor beam from a beach. So weird, I had to have them.

If you both can help me find knee socks that fit a woman's size US 12 (or closer to 11.5) that would be more than appreciated.

I'm a girl that doesn't have any hilarious socks or close to amusing socks after they grew past size 11 in high school...

I know now after watching how much I've gone on top of this habit, that I will need future rewards to keep me going.

On 11/22/2017 at 10:34 PM, Wolfen said:

Welcome back, and your goals look great. You've inspired me to add some writing time to my challenge, as well.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thank you! And glad I can spread the writing challenges on this forum!

And will do!

58 minutes ago, CallunaTook said:

hank you for sharing! Nice pics. 

Good luck on the job hunt. 

So if NaNoWriMo ends in a few days, and NaNoEdMo is not until March, what happens to your NaNo goal on Dec 1? Are you sticking to 444 words per day?

Thank you for both the above. Appreciate it, and will need the luck (though the universe has clearly stated there's a job out there, just hasn't lined up right).

For writing, I'm using 4thewords gaming site for my goals (where there is a in site tracker). You fight monsters and do quests while writing words (they have special events and plan quests) and bonuses for keeping a streak up. 444 words is their goal count, so that's how I got it in my challenge.

I personally want to keep up a writing habit, since I've always wanted to finish and publish one of my novel length stories. While also the writing habit will help grow the RPG story I'm attempting to add to my challenge.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Leigh said:

Check out Sock Dreams, or Many Mornings, both have socks available in women's size 12, but not all of them are knee high but they have a HUGE variety of strange and amusing socks :D

Heck Sock Dreams has my Alien socks on them as crew height :P

Ooh I love these! Will be adding when I make a loot list.

Lazy day... But actually getting a few things done. Internet was installed yesterday (earlier then expected), found out though that the box was broken. Called them up, were here this morning. Gave me a brand new box instead of a used one, so "yay wifi officially here".

Stressor... May have found out my bank account isn't as full as I liked.... Bright side I'm on top of my studying and school. Don't have to worry about gas to get anywhere (or unknown breaking down of car). Just have worries with bills, food, and laundry (could be worse). Surprise side challenge! (And true motivation to work on the job search).

Also looking for any tips on resumes. I have a really nice format that I was given by a job coach that is nice for a single page resume (never had to worry about the length of my resume until today). Just any tips on how to make a resume for each job by selecting jobs, or writing out descriptions.  I should have realized the jobs I want to look into would all want a resume on file...

And I just realized I don't have any of my references on me..... Interesting. I probably should work on that. Any advice on who to choose for references. I have one professional reference that I volunteered for and have kept kind of updated on facebook (should probably tell her I'm job searching once more). I have another one that was my Girl Scout leader, and still chat with now and then. And then a woman that was my neighbor growing up. In the past I had used a friend from my old college, since I had gotten to know them kind of professionally and personally. Now with a new school, and new friends. And even a professor who've I gotten to know. Should I expand it differently, or should I be good with my regular three.

Just looking for ideas, t.

• Like 3

I would suggest the first reference (the volunteer job) the friend from college and the professor. If the job is an out doors one, then I think the Scout leader would be good, since I'm guessing Scouts there is similar to Scouts here where it is a lot of out door activities and such. I would also suggest asking someone that you worked for at the Museum job you had a while back as well. I know when I'm looking to hire people I like to see a reference from their current/previous job since that person would be able to tell me what their work ethics are like as well as how they dealt with challenges they faced during their time there.

Also I love one page resumes. I've received a few that were three or more pages of useful information, but I don't need to know what part time wage slave job you had like ten years ago, or a three paragraph mini essay on how awesome you are. Short and sweet works really well until you are applying for a job that has a heavy amount of professional or educational requirements.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Leigh said:

I would suggest the first reference (the volunteer job) the friend from college and the professor. If the job is an out doors one, then I think the Scout leader would be good, since I'm guessing Scouts there is similar to Scouts here where it is a lot of out door activities and such. I would also suggest asking someone that you worked for at the Museum job you had a while back as well. I know when I'm looking to hire people I like to see a reference from their current/previous job since that person would be able to tell me what their work ethics are like as well as how they dealt with challenges they faced during their time there.

Also I love one page resumes. I've received a few that were three or more pages of useful information, but I don't need to know what part time wage slave job you had like ten years ago, or a three paragraph mini essay on how awesome you are. Short and sweet works really well until you are applying for a job that has a heavy amount of professional or educational requirements.

Agree, I would also say I don't need a paragraph on every job duty at every job, listing what your duties were and a brief explanation if it's not easily determined is all I need. Depending on what you're looking for it may help to have a couple resumes where you can gear towards your audience...I had one for accounting and one for dietary management because I had done both, but my accounting resume had a lot of things that someone hiring for dietary management wouldn't understand.  Example would be: "Creation of debit memos, credit memos, and journal entries for month end in JD Edwards and AP400" anyone hiring for an accounting position would know what that means, I doubt anyone hiring for a dietary manager would.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

Ooh I love these! Will be adding when I make a loot list.

I hopped on to suggest Sock Dreams, but see that I am late. 

Also, this morning I was flipping through some consumerism porn a catalog and noticed their socks go up to size 12. It was Signals . They had a cute pair that make your feet look like a mermaid tail. 

There was another link I wanted to share, but I can't find it now. :-(  It was a site from the UK that specialized in Goth and nerd socks. I'm sad I lost it! It was a good one.

On references - I'd consider supervisor from current/previous job, yes to a non-family long-time reference, a teacher (of anything), and maybe whatever your longest-held job was. A tip for the future is that, if you leave a job on good terms, you can ask your boss to write you a referral letter before you leave and get their contact information and permission to be a future reference. You may not need it, but it's good to have it on file. 

• Like 5

On 11/24/2017 at 10:36 PM, Bouncer the Resilient said:

(I was wearing my hot pic so wasn't sure how well it could seen me, since it seemed shocked I could see it);

What does hot pic mean?

On 11/25/2017 at 12:10 AM, Bouncer the Resilient said:

Will be sharing stuff, especially the Recreational Philosophy lecture bits from last week. (A biggie with the major is having to enjoy it, so you can help share the good in the world).

Interested.

On 11/26/2017 at 8:39 AM, RES said:

"Creation of debit memos, credit memos, and journal entries for month end in JD Edwards and AP400" anyone hiring for an accounting position would know what that means, I doubt anyone hiring for a dietary manager would.

I don't know what it means.

• Like 2

Thank you all for your fast responses! After I came home on Sunday (from my weekly walk, and actually having energy at work), I've been exhausted but not able to sleep well the last 24 hours. Bright side my NaNoWriMo has been given a great boost. (I hit 30k this morning, and around 33k right now... Still thinking I can win).

On 11/25/2017 at 11:22 PM, Leigh said:

Thank you so much for the tips, it helped give me a clearer idea. Actually I was able to come up with a new reference through my current job, and facing a fear on asking my coworker if she was willing (ended with her being more than happy to do so). I'm working up to messaging a coworker that started a couple months before I left the museum job. Thanks for that tip, else I would have forgotten a few.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:22 PM, Leigh said:

On 11/26/2017 at 7:39 AM, RES said:

Agree, I would also say I don't need a paragraph on every job duty at every job, listing what your duties were and a brief explanation if it's not easily determined is all I need. Depending on what you're looking for it may help to have a couple resumes where you can gear towards your audience...I had one for accounting and one for dietary management because I had done both, but my accounting resume had a lot of things that someone hiring for dietary management wouldn't understand.  Example would be: "Creation of debit memos, credit memos, and journal entries for month end in JD Edwards and AP400" anyone hiring for an accounting position would know what that means, I doubt anyone hiring for a dietary manager would.

And thank you for this. I will keep with the one page setup for now. For details I have 3 bullet points for less than a sentence length each.

Now its more of knowing its going to take time for each and every resume, since some of the jobs I'm looking into are a bit different (one is working on the morning setup at a farm/outdoor store and another is being a leader part of an after school youth group thingy.... Different ways to setup my resume information).

On 11/26/2017 at 1:53 PM, CallunaTook said:

Also, this morning I was flipping through some consumerism porn a catalog and noticed their socks go up to size 12. It was Signals . They had a cute pair that make your feet look like a mermaid tail.

Those socks do look awesome... Now I need to figure out where to keep the sites on a loot list somewhere.

On 11/26/2017 at 1:53 PM, CallunaTook said:

On references - I'd consider supervisor from current/previous job, yes to a non-family long-time reference, a teacher (of anything), and maybe whatever your longest-held job was. A tip for the future is that, if you leave a job on good terms, you can ask your boss to write you a referral letter before you leave and get their contact information and permission to be a future reference. You may not need it, but it's good to have it on file.

Hehe, I actually have a University of Winnipeg staff reference letter from my alternate Spring break last year, when I helped out an adult computer class . Need to look over it on how I can use it to my advantage.

And thanks for the confirmation tips for references.

I thank you all again for the job tips, since I couldn't really wrap around my head for my best options. But have a clearer idea on having references, that I know will be up to date positive.

7 hours ago, Teros said:

What does hot pic mean?

hot pink* (interesting how much a letter matters to a word difference...)

I believe deer are color blind, so hunters wear bright orange to hide in front of them (and helps protect them getting hit from their fellow hunters). Idk if I was having the same effect, or the deer with its pretty grey coat was just interested in a staring contest (and intrigued on how I started a conversation with it).

7 hours ago, Teros said:

Interested.

Now an excuse for NF study time!

So the point of view for Philosophy in RPLS, my professor brought it being away for a person to give their personal viewpoint of "what is your strategy for living?"

(personally I think a question that has been brought up in the NF community, on how to live the life you want to live with a gamified twist).

If you know what your strategy is, it can help a person figure out "how you choose to make decisions that clears your conscious(spelling?)" 

Along with:

"What do you get up each and every morning wanting to do?"

"What directs your actions and decisions, especially the impulsive ones?"

"What gives you a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day?"

"Why are your beliefs important to you?"

Why do we bring these ideas up? (directly from the lecture)

-Promotes an understanding of human relationships

-Empathy

-Provides a framework for distinguishing, separating, and understanding personal values

-helps you make decision

-Promotes flexibility and dealing with others.

That's the main ideas I want to bring up. Just a different frame of looking at them. I'll write up the "types" of philosophy within RPLS. which is another chunk.

The one thing I've been liking about my classes this semester, is if I had a personal question I was trying to figure out. My professors would go on a small tangent/soapbox, apologize afterwards. Usually their thoughts would lead to my own personal answer or something I needed to hear.

The above ideas is kind of gave me the idea to change my major, when Anthropology/history looks at things from a distance. RPLS tries to figure out their own place in the world and how it affects others around them (which kind of goes along with my own frame of thinking). When I went to Minnesota's Rec and Park conference last month, i was more at awe on how the type of thinking showed up at all levels of conversation.

And why I need to confirm I will be doing the American Indigenous Studies minor (so I can get the education, and the paperwork that shows I kind of have an idea what I'm thinking when bringing up tough questions).

• Like 3

Challenge Week Zero (I believe Week 3 for working on goals, except study time first full week)

• Write a "Daily To Do List" daily 2/7 28% (there was a point where I didn't where I put it during the long weekend...)
  • Write 444 words a day 6/7 (only day missed was Thanksgiving) (85%)
  • One Long Walk a Week (walk to work/or adventure walk) 1/1 (100%)
  • Apply to Job or Go to Interview: .5/1 - not great. I avoided working on resume, list of jobs I discovered were all resume. When I was working last minute on Saturday, realized working on editing resumes was going to take awhile. (50%)
  • Study 15 mins a day in both classes: 7/7 (truefully Wed.-Fri. Was a bit off. However, I had no idea the amount of stress a small at home thanksgiving was. I totally forgot on Wed., attempted Thur. and Friday, and fully got caught up on Saturday. So I'm going to say that's a pass. Not perfect, but I got the studying done).  Pass (80%)

Overall week percentage on goals: 68.6% (could be worst, but also can go up)

By this point walking is the easiest goal I have somewhere in my life as a habit (or an enjoyable event). Everything else I'm feeling the grind... So have a ways to go.

Will be looking into adding something for walking goals, for a slow level up. i'm thinking of adding a swim day in my week. I feel like its an easy way to wake up my back muscles I avoid using, while matching some of my goals on working outdoors (certified as a lifeguard could keep fun summer job possibilities or outing possibilities one day).  And the whole free ability to use the gym and pool is handy (will be checking to see if they have winter break hours this week - if not will add a cool down to my weekly walk).

Also studying goal will be finished by Thursday! Found out today that my IT professor is very sick, he proposed I get the exam done on my own time before noon on Thursday with any notes (while RPLS is an online exam anytime on Thursday- again open notes if I have them on me). So questionable if I even have IT class tomorrow, while having lectures in RPLS both tomorrow and Wednesday (one for Careers, next for Self-care). The semester is closing already, and I'm not in a full panic.

And just remembered there is a 3rd paper due in RPLS within the next week.... Ooops. But that's a personal narrative, will be getting that done over several days.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

"what is your strategy for living?"

(personally I think a question that has been brought up in the NF community, on how to live the life you want to live with a gamified twist).

If you know what your strategy is, it can help a person figure out "how you choose to make decisions that clears your conscious(spelling?)" 

Along with:

"What do you get up each and every morning wanting to do?"

"What directs your actions and decisions, especially the impulsive ones?"

"What gives you a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day?"

"Why are your beliefs important to you?"

Hrmm... Figure I'll answer these for myself.

Strategy for living:  I want to try and get as much done before I die as possible.  In order to do that, I need to be streamlined and efficient.  I also want memories/events to matter more than material goods.

What do you get up each and every morning wanting to do?   'Learn' and 'Create'.

What directs your actions and decisions, especially the impulsive ones? That's kind of an odd question.  I would think that 'impulsive' implies that there's no direction except wanting instant happiness: whether that's a cookie or playing a game.  I think that the 'strategy for living' would be the same answer here.  *shrug*

What gives you a sense of satisfaction at the end of the day?  'Being awesome'.   Or the same as Q2: Learning/Creating.  Also: helping people.

Why are your beliefs important to you? 

Ohhhh, ok well, when I think of my beliefs; I have very few:

-I believe in brutal honesty, no matter what

-I believe in time/memories being valuable

-I believe that life is what you make of it: we can be given a shitty situation or a great one but perseverance is what matters most.  How we *handle* life is more important than the hand we were dealt.

These are important to me because they define everything else about my life.  If I didn't agree with any of these things, I would be a totally different person.  My beliefs define who I am as a person.  That urge to have as much done within my lifetime is important because I feel that once we're dead: that's it.  I don't want to be on my deathbed, wishing I took the risks that I never did.  I don't want to be an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone.  I need to feel like I have a life worth living.

I also feel that the only way to do that is to be true to yourself.  That's where the honesty portion comes into place.  I would rather be hated for who I am, rather than loved for who I'm not.  I don't have time to deal with fake people and trying to impress others.  I'm pretty fucking great just by being myself, but I also need to *prove* that to myself on a constant basis.  I can't rest on my previous achievements: I need to keep forging ahead.

This pairs with the time/memories portion.  I need to create these memories with the time that I have.  I treasure my mind.  (My body, over the years of neglect, not as much; but that's changing).  As such, the best way to do the most good, from a humanitarian perspective, is to help people become self-actualized.  And the only way to do that is by being brutally honest.  Sugar coating things does NOT help.  People need to be mentally strong enough to handle the truth, as shitty as it might be.  So many people live empty and shallow and meaningless lives and it's all because they don't want to address their own concerns.  They don't want to be self-reflective.  They don't want to upset or disappoint others.  FUCK ALL OF THAT.  You owe nobody anything.  You owe yourself to *BE* yourself, your best self.  Anything less, settling for anyone or anything less than your worth is a fucking crime. 

I know what I'm capable of if I put my mind to it.  And I know that if I am working on my best self, I will motivate others to be their best selves.  I know what it feels like to be in a rut and how I wished I had someone to look up to. I never found that person: so I became my *own* hero. And I hope that every single person that I ever come into contact with can reach that realization as well.  People have nothing to prove to others: they just need to prove to themselves that they are doing the best they can with what they have.  And to anyone that wants to drag them down, push them in the mud, bad talk them, or be caddy and petty: they can fuck off.  Those people don't deserve to affect and drag down other people because of their own sad existence.  I would rather boost people up, than lay in the mud and pull people down.  It's easier to throw stones at others than to lead by example.  In the long run though, it's the only path that I can see that's viable.  Hate, clinging to the past, dwelling on the negative, all hold people back.  We don't have *time* to do that.  We never had enough time in our lives to begin with, so I want to make the most of every day, forever, until the dying of the light.  And when I'm at the very end, I'll know that I gave it my best shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

Overall week percentage on goals: 68.6% (could be worst, but also can go up)

Yay progress!

19 hours ago, Bouncer the Resilient said:

Also studying goal will be finished by Thursday!

Yay on getting schoolwork done. It's a damn good feeling, isn't it? I'll be all caught up by the end of next week.

Keep it up. Proud of ya!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2017 at 3:26 PM, Teros said:

I don't know what it means.

You're not hiring for an accounting position :P 

speaks to what I was saying about gearing your resume towards your audience 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Teros said:

Hrmm... Figure I'll answer these for myself.

Thank you for sharing your own view with these questions. Just figured out today that that my last paper for RPLS is mainly answering these questions.

In many ways I'm rolling around my own ideas.

5 hours ago, Teros said:

That's kind of an odd question.  I would think that 'impulsive' implies that there's no direction except wanting instant happiness: whether that's a cookie or playing a game.  I think that the 'strategy for living' would be the same answer here.  *shrug*

Just wanted to say sorry if it was confusing a bit, the :"Strategy of Living" is the overall question, while the others break it down a bit (if that makes sense).

To me it gives me kind of a different look a answers I give for other parts of life (especially with very different answers. I'm on a writing marathon for NaNo right now, so will be thinking over your own and probably sharing my own ideas later- after I beat this NaNo).

3 hours ago, Wolfen said:

ay on getting schoolwork done. It's a damn good feeling, isn't it? I'll be all caught up by the end of next week.

Keep it up. Proud of ya!

Thank you needed that support.

Compared to my entire school career since 4th grade of having trouble getting school work done. It's really intriguing for me having 90% of my work turned in, and easily knwoing I can get more points by catching up next week... Even finally getting my GPA up to a 3.0 with no homework panic attacks... So strange....(Along with actually having fun showing up in class... where tomorrow will be my first 100% attendance for a class... Only being partially out one day, but I was still there 90% of that class time). No less the shock of doing well wtih school, and actively be a part of NaNoWriMo...(again never heard of the past 5+ years of enjoying the annual writing fun).

Okay so to get my RPLS study time in today, I'll share the second half of the lecture that was the different types of Philosophies within RPLS (the reasons why people choose to see RPLS as a career choice or their approach to the best way of working with Recreation for themselves.

Quality of Life (the main biggie behind recreation... sounds just a tad familiar): Most dominantly used, an approach that is regarded as important form of social services that must be provided in a way that contributes directly to a wide range of desired social values and goals; considers recreation to be inherently good for people.

Entrepreneurial : Recreation providers will flourish best if they adopt methods used by businesses

Human Services: considered opposite to entrepreneurial, recreation is vital to social service, associated with advocacy and health/well-being seeks to achieve community change

Prescriptive: Therapeutic Rec, recreation is about encouraging individual constructive change

Preservation: seeking to maintain natural spaces

Individualist: recreation is a personal experience, seeks to provide personal fun and pleasure, about choice (Example in class was such as businesses in Las Vegas. This tends to be commercial recreation, over public use places). 

Benefits based: focused on outcome than processes, can show information that proves there is a positive outcome

Well that's the main ideas I'll be looking through for my paper.

I know personal I'm Quality of Life and Preservation. I know Human Services ideas are part of my own movement (I'm looking into getting American Indigenous Studies minor so I can have on paper, and education on how to bring up questions that are bugging me on how to view certain cites differently than our "pioneer ways")

I personally view myself distanced between Entrepreneurial... More of the must of having to keep something alive now a days, but not something I really want to do for myself. 

I'm holding back on continuing bringing my own ideas since its late, an I have over 7k words written for NaNo today (about twice my other highest days this last month).

I'm at 36,209. I ended up losing words somehow. So I'm a bit farther behidn then I thought. But bright side part of my story is geling a little bit.

Would finally explain my story, but hard to spell right now...

• Like 4

B-! On IT test!

I realized that going over more of the reading material (or large amount of videos that were part of chapter information) would have benefited my grade... But! I have a solid B! Boom!

My choice to get caught up is to if it can help my overall GPA a bit better. If I can bump that letter grade a bit...

RPLS test tomorrow! I'm going to flippin' ace it, especially if I remember to write out certain notes that I've been given recently. A little bit more homework left, but nothing compared to what I've had in the past.

Working on a bit of studying and to work on my word count!

Goal is to make this NaNo a win, and make it the first time I was able to somewhat balance NaNo and school, and a job all together! Boom!

This weekend you'll see my own responses to the philosophy questions I posted earlier this year

Fun facts I learned for RPLS... For careers, I'm at the moment in one of the best states to find a career within my field. most of the jobs are around the Twin Cities areas, but also around the Boundary Waters.

Oh and to answer @Leigh's question on my NaNo project.

Outside of a few thousand for the RPG project that I'm going to get back to working on after November...

My NaNo is being giving a reboot to an old NaNo that I won back in 2013....
The story is a Supernatural story, where the main "creature" is a type of Grim Reaper.... Kind of like this show a bit, Reapers living among us:

But a little different. The Grim Reapers in my story have different abilities of helping pass the dead to the other side. making it as pleasant as possible. Anna (the main character)  is part of a group of key keepers, that slowly collect keys they find. Each one of them symbolizing something very loving and cherisable to someone, as in a way they get to relive the best parts of their lives when they die. There's a bit more to the process, but a lot of times for Key Keepers. A door appears for them to see an actual gateway for the soul to go through, however they don't see the actual contents of the door. Except for Anna, who has always had the ability to see a different movement of colors and sounds unique to each one.

The story was told mainly through Anna's viewpoint. A community college student that had a history of having nice and clean deaths (which she thought was a norm), very quickly sees the darkness of death. Which has a variety.

Around the time of dark deaths, Anna ends up finding out the "higher ups" within their society have chosen her to be a qualifier of marrying the leader/highest leve; of leader within their people (in another realm that watches over the living Reapers). Anna finds herself in a way stuck in a Love Triangle, when the Leader mixes things up by having one of his Gaurd's stand in for him (which just has me wondering why the hell I'm going with it and writing it).

I finally got it where Anna doesn't want anything to do with them, and the leader himself objects the idea and fights for her or at her... Gets into dark confrontations. Along with trying to figuer out what is int he unvierse for a woman, that was trained for one life, and has declined the new opportunity. And has to break he own path.

To me this story is soemthing of "why am I writing this, this is stupid" next to "I just have to tell it...." This story brings up some uncomfortable dark topics to me, but also not that dark.

Just thought to share, if anyone curious to want me to blapper them up on places I'm stuck with the plot. More than happy to PM about it...

• Like 3

NaNo-2017-Winner-Facebook-Cover.png

I did it! Yes! *fireworks*

And I got an A- on my RPLS exam (the questions I got wrong were a select view that I realized I was avoiding the topics....)

But still I was able to juggle November!

It's SOOOO weird.... I was able to barely get by last year, and that was me just dealing with my anxiety and working a few days a week. Here I was with a full on life change, kept up with school and work!

I've never been able just to juggle life with NaNo before, and actually do well in life...

Though note: My mornings haven't been going so well. I'm unable to think and just irritated when I'm asked questions by my mother. But she noted that she was waiting for it since the beginning of November....

So... With school work. I have just under a week to get more points. Right now I have A in RPLS and a B in IT.

RPLS I have to laugh with how I ended up with so much extra credit, that with turning everything in and showing up every class I could just skip the paper and be fine... But I won't BECAUSE I also want to make this the first class where I turned in everything in on time! (which I'm worst at compared to showing up for class.... its amazing how far I got in school before my break).

IT, I'm curious how bumping up the points would help with my overall grade. What got to me in this class was my personal resistance of doing assignments, and not turning half finished stuff.... (Something I'm still learning on how to do....)

I missed a couple study days, but those days I just forgot... Never in my head. So I know studying is nowhere near habit (if anything full resistance is there). So will be practicing during the break.

Right now I changed my daily studying to working on homework daily... Which I will be doing along with Resume stuff. When I finish the list I unlock a PS4 game.... I'm saying I unlocked the PS$ itself. Because studying majority in the last couple weeks and finishing NaNo is kind of awesome! If I turn in EVERYTHING on the list (doesn't have to be perfect, just a few points here and there) I will unlock Sims 2.... I've had a gaming idea that I think would be fun game wise and creative wise.... So the want is there, to help give me a bit more motivation.

Also making 90 day goal on 4thewords to unlock buying Scrivener. I've never gotten to 40... However, I know in 90 days I will have the money to buy the program. And I'll throw in the winner T-Shirt because I want it! I'll be working on anything writing related.

Thanks all for the encouragement. Now working on slowing down a bit so I can get up tomorrow for work, and then have my last 2017 weekend with homework...

• Like 4