Parsnip Settles Into Her New Home - A ST:Discovery Challenge

Parsnip

I don't usually do a themed challenge like this (apart from minis!), but I think it fits quite well.

Michael spends a lot of the show getting acclimitised to her new home, building routines. I bought a house a couple of months ago. We had to do a fair bit to it (painting, flooring, carpet), but now we are living in it with a working oven and a BBQ, all furniture is in. I want to focus on getting it into a good shape by finishing unpacking, organising places for things - one room a week. And sorting out the pantry and fridge so I can cook three bulk meals a week using mostly what we already have.

I also want to get in the habit of washing the dishes every day, so that my home stays tidy and clean. When there is stuff everywhere it is easy to leave plates lying around... so I'm thinking military ship discipline here ;)

The vulcan mental practices are of course very important to Michael. I will be aiming to do some kind of yoga, rolling or general mobility work every day. I have a program from Do Yoga With Me that includes a weekly meditation and a weekly breathing lesson. I tend to avoid these, so I am prioritising them this challenge.

Like Tilly and her running, one habit I want to develop in my new home is bike riding. I normally use my bike a lot to get around, but the past year I have been living in a third floor apartment, so it was a lot of work to get the bike up and down stairs. My baby step goal is just to get the bike out once a week.

In order to prevent fatigue, I need to get better at remember to take my vitamins. I will set reminders on my phone. This is a basic thing that anyone in starfleet should be able to manage!

I have been inspired by the bullet journal thread to do up a colourful challenge map :) Rather than points, this time I will be earning dollars to spend on bumper plates for my new gym in the shed :D

$80 - Pair of 5kg plates (25%)

$120 - Pair of 10kg plates (35%)

$200 - Both pairs of plates (60%)

Stretch goal $300 - In addition to the plates, this will earn me a month of oly coaching (88%)

There is $340 total up for grabs.

• Like 2

Loving the theme (and totally addicted to the show despite never having watched Star Trek before)! Following along!

After years of waiting til the sink is full, my current rule for dishwashing is that absolutely nothing is allowed to sit in the sink — I have to handwash immediately or put it the dishwasher. It hasn’t been perfect, and some things do end up *next* to the sink on the counter when i’m in a rush, but overall it has really changed the feel of my kitchen. And that alone has kept me going on it.

good luck!

• Like 1

"First you decide what you've gotta do, and then you go out and do it. And maybe the most that we can do is just to see each other through it." -Ani Difranco

Current Challenge | Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

On 11/24/2017 at 5:32 AM, EaseActivate said:

Loving the theme (and totally addicted to the show despite never having watched Star Trek before)! Following along!

I started watching the original series earlier in the year and got really into it! I used to be obsessed with classic Dr Who as a kid (before the new series started), so I love that 60s era low-budget style :P The whole series is on netflix. I only got halfway through season 2 before Discovery started, and so I haven't finished it yet, but I have really enjoyed Discovery knowing a bit more about the Star Trek universe...

On 11/24/2017 at 5:32 AM, EaseActivate said:

After years of waiting til the sink is full, my current rule for dishwashing is that absolutely nothing is allowed to sit in the sink — I have to handwash immediately or put it the dishwasher.

This is a good rule! Hopefully by forcing myself to do it everyday will have a similar effect!

Still working on my Bullet Journal map thing for the challenge. Attempted to draw a starship, but it looked terrible, so may just end up with some circles instead...

Better setup my phone alarms for vitamins too, still haven't done that! I'll go do it now.

• Like 1

Don't know why I didn't do this last night... A 30sec image search for 'uss discovery' got me this:

USS-Discovery1.jpg.4fc253ab41920ffdda94918aeb36eb38.jpg

I will just copy it :) Much easier than trying to free-draw from memory!

• Like 1

yeah, garn it! "CBS all access"

or as the Youtube "Honest trailers" says....

'Before Star Trek: Discovery Forces you to Subscribe, where No one has subscribed Before'......

anyways,  in a parralell universe; I'd add a small little money to watch a brand new STar trek show. 

nonetheless; I wish your great success with you themed challenge.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

44 minutes ago, TGP said:

yeah, garn it! "CBS all access"

or as the Youtube "Honest trailers" says....

'Before Star Trek: Discovery Forces you to Subscribe, where No one has subscribed Before'......

anyways,  in a parralell universe; I'd add a small little money to watch a brand new STar trek show. 

nonetheless; I wish your great success with you themed challenge.

That explains why it comes out weekly instead of all at once... We have it on netflix here in Australia. I am really surprised we have it better! Although i believe cbs just bought one of our tv channels here, so that might change in the future.

• Like 1

Day 1 down, quite pleased with myself. Spent half an hour trying to get through the backlog of dishes. This job will be much easier once i get going! Destroyed my quads doing two days in a row of squats (back sunday, front monday), so for my yoga/mobility i did some foam rolling and some stretching while watching Punisher.

I think for this challenge I will have a go colouring in my challenge bujo page in the mornings, and post on here if I have time. Already have some colours :)

• Like 2

Jeez, the new restriction of 10kb max photos is tough! I guess they want you to find a 3rd party host... Anyone got a rec for something simple to use on an android?

9 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Day 1 down, quite pleased with myself. Spent half an hour trying to get through the backlog of dishes. This job will be much easier once i get going! Destroyed my quads doing two days in a row of squats (back sunday, front monday), so for my yoga/mobility i did some foam rolling and some stretching while watching Punisher.

THis made me laugh. You punished your quads then watched Punisher while recovering :-)

• Haha 1

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Week 1 is going pretty well :)

I missed one day each of dish washing, yoga and taking my zinc tablet, happy with that. Getting into a rhythm now that the backlog of dishes is clear.

This week's room unpacking challenge is the bedroom...

I spent Thursday morning getting the clothes sorted and away. Need to go through remaining couple of bags, then the floor will be clear to rearrange the bed. Measured it up and worked out a better configuration - it was hard to tell because we don't have a door atm :P

• Like 1

Yesterday was fun! Built a weightlifting platform and got the power rack bolted into place. It looks awesome. Going to do my first shed workout today :D

• Like 1

Hey! It's letting me upload full pics now, yay :)

Here is the shed gym so far...

IMG_20171202_195502.thumb.jpg.c26c3686882bb9332f0ca8762cdbe20f.jpg

My phone camera isn't focusing well, so all my photos are coming out blurry!

I'm away atm - trying to do yoga anyway but the DYWM website isnt loading :( I think it's just my mum's crappy adsl. Internet in oz is frustratingly slow. Hope you guys are all ready to tackle week 3!!!

• Like 4
On 12/9/2017 at 1:09 PM, TGP said:

wowww.

we're totally jealous.  thats a rockin' gym ...

Thanks! Still need a few things though... The bumper plate rewards are good motivation to work hard at this challenge, they will be very useful :)

Counting up my $ so far, halfway through -

Bike riding x2 $10

Bedroom sorting done $10

Kitchen sorting $4 (going to work more on this today)

Yoga $27

Washing dishes $24

Cooking $18 (i think i assigned this $3/meal?)

Vitamins $18

Total = $111

Already close to earning the 10kg plates! Still hoping to at least hit my $200 goal so I can get both the 5kg and 10kg pairs...

On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:46 AM, Parsnip said:

Hey! It's letting me upload full pics now, yay :)

Here is the shed gym so far...

IMG_20171202_195502.thumb.jpg.c26c3686882bb9332f0ca8762cdbe20f.jpg

My phone camera isn't focusing well, so all my photos are coming out blurry!

I'm away atm - trying to do yoga anyway but the DYWM website isnt loading :( I think it's just my mum's crappy adsl. Internet in oz is frustratingly slow. Hope you guys are all ready to tackle week 3!!!

Love your gym!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Been a while since I posted an update! Wasn't feeling very well at the start of week 4, so I've tried to go easy on myself. Skipped a workout and rather than doing yoga I've been doing some short 10min meditations. That's worked ok.

I shouldn't be hard on myself, we are getting the consistent hot weather at work now (41C as I write this) and I've been doing plenty of physical activity in it. It always takes a bit of adjusting for sleep with the long days and warm nights.

Still on track for doing all my bike rides this challenge as long as I do one more by tomorrow!!

Counted up my $ earned on the map and I'm at ~$240 :D So I've earnt my bumpers! I really want to finish the kitchen and small room unpacking by the end of the challenge though, so close, only half a dozen bags left...

• Like 3

Thought I'd do a proper wrap up for this challenge. I've had a week now to think about how the challenge went, ordered my prize bumpers (woo!) and been trying to work out some direction for 2018.

Overall, I was very happy with how the challenge went. I'm in a tidy house, and apart from a couple of stray bags, everything is now packed away in it's place. A great feeling :D

nf.PNG.0e8f4de204d30d8209c926a112764c98.PNG

I didn't really talk about this during the challenge, but the regular dish washing and meal cooking morphed into some really successful meal planning for my household with "eat this much". Fojin wasn't eating enough good food (his maintenance calories are ridiculous, like 3500+) and supplementing with a lot of junk and fast food. Finally got him off that stuff! (apart from the occasional small treat). It's a cool program if you are willing to put time into customising it and learning how it works. My 2 week trial is over now, but I love the grocery list feature, so I'm going to pay for a couple of months subscription and see how we go.

2018...?

Like most of the rangers here, I tend to want to do a bit of everything - but you can't do it all at once!!

My focus keeps going back to my "level 50" goals. After a year of accidental "bulking" (from 68 to 75kg), my first focus is getting down to a lower body weight. I'm already down to 72kg, so hopefully it will not be too hard! This is to make goals like doing a set of 5 strict chin ups achievable and so if I do a weightlifting comp I'm not in the top weight categories (I'm 5', that just seems silly).

I get nervous when I drop weight quickly due to being underweight in the past, so I'll just stick to the meal plan and not weigh myself.

My other goal is to really get into oly lifting for the first half of the year at least. I will try to get another lesson with someone when I'm on holiday next month, and sign up for remote coaching when I get back. Hopefully I can do a comp by the end of the year (closest is 400kms away, so some logistical issues).

• Like 1