Telethot begins

Greetings, 

After 10 plus years of sedentary lifestyle due to pain from cervical and lumbar stenosis and other issues I am looking forward to making positive changes. Fortunately for unknown reasons I am doing somewhat better painwise and want to take advantage of this time, be it permanent or not. 

My overall quest is to holistically improve my health and vitality. I intend to begin incorporating exercise into my life on a regular basis, examine and improve my diet, begin meditation and possibly yoga for spiritual health. Most importantly stop smoking cigarettes! 

My first quests are

1. 10 minute daily walks

2. Daily food log

3. Substitute 1 water for soda each day

4. Keep under 5 cigarettes daily

5. Meditate 10 minutes daily

I think that these are very doable. Wish me luck!

• Like 3

Welcome to the rebellion!

I sympathize with the chronic pain issues, C5-6 nerve damage and misalignment of my spine causing compression on it due to a car accident, and RA. Daily pain like that can be exhausting :( 

Are you using anything in particular to log food/water intake? My Fitness Pal is free and pretty easy to use

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Your first quests sound excellent! I also deal with chronic pain (severe c-spine degeneration), it really can be remarkable how just taking on an attitude of self-care can improve quality of life. Are you using a particular meditation program or system? I use the app Headspace. There are a lot of really wonderful programs available now compared to 35 years ago when I first tried to learn how to meditate by reading a book called "How to Meditate." :D We've come a long way, baby! 

Looking forward to hearing more about your progress on this EPIC journey! 

• Like 1

“To see that your life is a story while you're in the middle of living it may be a help to living it well."

-Ursula K. Le Guin

2022 Challenges: Push, Core, Simple

5 hours ago, Telethot said:

My overall quest is to holistically improve my health and vitality.

• I intend to begin incorporating exercise into my life on a regular basis,
  • examine and improve my diet, 
  • begin meditation and possibly yoga for spiritual health.
  • Most importantly stop smoking cigarettes! 

My first quests are:

1. 10 minute daily walks
  2. Daily food log

Hello Telethot!  Welcome to the game!

Your quests all look good.  Everything is specific and measurable.  :encouragement:

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

For the daily walks, I have a PvP thread going on that challenges participants to walk for at least 10 minutes, once a day. It's open to anyone who wants to join, and we're all very laid-back about it.

I have decided to restart the challenge again on December 1st, if you want to wait.

Welcome to the Rebellion! You'll fit right in. :)

• Like 1

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

For the daily walks, I have a PvP thread going on that challenges participants to walk for at least 10 minutes, once a day. It's open to anyone who wants to join, and we're all very laid-back about it.

I have decided to restart the challenge again on December 1st, if you want to wait.

Welcome to the Rebellion! You'll fit right in. :)

Thanks so much. You can count me in! 

• Like 2
On 11/24/2017 at 7:55 PM, Telethot said:

Thanks so much. You can count me in! 

The challenge starts on December 5, but the thread is already posted here: 

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38

On 11/23/2017 at 5:52 AM, Telethot said:

Greetings, 

After 10 plus years of sedentary lifestyle due to pain from cervical and lumbar stenosis and other issues I am looking forward to making positive changes. Fortunately for unknown reasons I am doing somewhat better painwise and want to take advantage of this time, be it permanent or not. 

My overall quest is to holistically improve my health and vitality. I intend to begin incorporating exercise into my life on a regular basis, examine and improve my diet, begin meditation and possibly yoga for spiritual health. Most importantly stop smoking cigarettes! 

My first quests are

1. 10 minute daily walks

2. Daily food log

I think that these are very doable. Wish me luck!

These are great quests! Daily meditation is a goal for me as well. I wish you luck!

I thought that I should post my progress. A lot of family health issues have kept me away but not from progress.

I am exceeding my daily walking goal. Even just 10 mins I would be totally fatigued the next day. Still I'm doing 10 minimum. Often 45 to hour.

Food log has me realizing how truly malnourished I am.

Soda battle doing better than feared. Was 6 pack of coke habit. Down to 2 or 3 on most days. I'm happy with this for awhile. Adding kombucha and ACV to my substitutes.

A year ago a was still a nonsmoker. Upon being prescribed adderall and then ritalin I was back on. I should have tried a smaller goal but I'm trying. Half a pack is still a victory. 

Sadly I am ignoring meditation. I know that I need it but I think that it is too much in a different direction for now. We'll revisit.

After being sore and unmotivated since beginning I decided to add 1 daily set from workout 1a. Only one set so I'm not giving a rest day. I believe that this is helping get through this early stage. 

We'll see how it goes from here.

• Like 3

I should clarify. I am actually not particularly sore it would more accurately be described as extreme fatigue and stiffness. This of course bringing on total lack of motivation. I tell myself that I only have to do 10 mins. This gets me going enough that I usually finish and go beyond. Although it may be broken up in multiple sessions I am averaging 40 mins. 

• Like 2

Hello, welcome and well done!

Re cigarettes, have you tried/considered electronic cigarettes? It's not as ideal as stopping of course but I found it to be an improvement really. I was on a pack on a day for 20+ years, started having regular chest pain, waking up at night gasping for air... this is all gone now and I'm slowly reducing my nicotine intake.

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

Great job on the goals! Sometimes getting started is the hardest part!!

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

as far as the rest day;  surely you should listen (primarily ) to your body.

if you're not working to fatigue I think its quite possible that your muscles may Not need days of rest to be ready for the next session.  but if you ARE overtraining; you'll be noticing what was difficult becomes awful and that there is few measure or feeling of increased strength.

You just want to avoid that (whatever it is for your body);  the feeling of success and improving strength is a very motivational.

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

... wait

I just reread that a little.

"Walking" is a bit of an exception of the rule.    though you can overtrain on it (surely you can overdo Anything).  walking is particularly good about not beating up your body too bad.  

its a great exercise to start with (for this reason)

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

On 12/3/2017 at 7:30 PM, Telethot said:

I thought that I should post my progress. A lot of family health issues have kept me away but not from progress.

I am exceeding my daily walking goal. Even just 10 mins I would be totally fatigued the next day. Still I'm doing 10 minimum. Often 45 to hour.

Food log has me realizing how truly malnourished I am.

Soda battle doing better than feared. Was 6 pack of coke habit. Down to 2 or 3 on most days. I'm happy with this for awhile. Adding kombucha and ACV to my substitutes.

A year ago a was still a nonsmoker. Upon being prescribed adderall and then ritalin I was back on. I should have tried a smaller goal but I'm trying. Half a pack is still a victory. 

Sadly I am ignoring meditation. I know that I need it but I think that it is too much in a different direction for now. We'll revisit.

After being sore and unmotivated since beginning I decided to add 1 daily set from workout 1a. Only one set so I'm not giving a rest day. I believe that this is helping get through this early stage. 

We'll see how it goes from here.

Welcome! Those are some good starting goals you have. Regarding the Adderall and Ritalin Im an adult ADHD-er as well and found my Adderall had me needing something to do with my fingers as well. I used to drive my previous coworkers insane by clicking on a pen repeatedly while working. As strange and hipster as it may sound have you looked into fidget toys? Something to keep the hands occupied so you don't feel the urge to smoke? Or games on a phone to play anytime you feel the need to fidget? I keep a couple things around to occupy my hands so I don't lose it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a Rubik's cube at my desk that I play with when I feel a need to fidget.

As for meditation, have tried doing a lighter form of it while walking? As you walk, focus on breathing calmly (may need to walk slower for that;) ) and then focus on the here and now. How your legs feel as they move and hit the ground, how the ankle bends as your weight shifts forward, and then your foot pushes off to propel your body in the direction you want to go. Pay attention to how your arms move, your fingers, roll your shoulders back and relax them. And the, one by one, focus on the things that are good in your life, and appreciate each one of them for several seconds.

TL:DR, use the process of walking to center the mind and focus on things that make you happy. :)

• Like 4

5 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I have a Rubik's cube at my desk that I play with when I feel a need to fidget.

As for meditation, have tried doing a lighter form of it while walking? As you walk, focus on breathing calmly (may need to walk slower for that;) ) and then focus on the here and now. How your legs feel as they move and hit the ground, how the ankle bends as your weight shifts forward, and then your foot pushes off to propel your body in the direction you want to go. Pay attention to how your arms move, your fingers, roll your shoulders back and relax them. And the, one by one, focus on the things that are good in your life, and appreciate each one of them for several seconds.

TL:DR, use the process of walking to center the mind and focus on things that make you happy. :)

I am actually trying to do just that during my walks. It's still difficult but enjoy the moments I can "check out".

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Telethot said:

I am actually trying to do just that during my walks. It's still difficult but enjoy the moments I can "check out".

Every little bit helps! :)

it looks like you're learning a lot, and you are giving it your best - and that's really good! keep on staying the course, and let's see how you feel after the challenge is over, you know?

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.