Your skill has increased by... [Manarelle]

Manarelle

The last challenge got me finishing old projects and starting a new trade: thermoplastics. I've figured out that I do best when focusing on one thing at a time (freaking, surprise there, eh?), so while I still am allowed my 4 hobbies, each one will have one focus only.

• Sewing: Finish the blue skirt, then start another pair of work pants.
  • Exercise: Solidify PT and Kenpo practice. 
  • Languages: One module of French or Russian per day, maintain Japanese at lunch.
  • Thermoplastics: Make a new bracer, practice painting on the prototype. 

For a lot of my life, I would try to get into everything, and ended up not finishing much and feeling overwhelmed. Throw it all out, start over, cycle continues. While doing grad school on top of a full-time job, I found out I get a lot more accomplished by limiting myself to 4 hobbies (gardening is on hold til spring), and having one thing on my "To Do" list per day. If I get more done, great, but there's no pressure to do it, so I'm more willing to work on it. I still want to do everything, get into everything, learn everything, but I can't argue that I've accomplished a lot more by focusing on one thing to completion. 

Sewing is pretty straightforward - finish one, start the next. I've let PT slide a bit lately, and my body forcefully reminded me that that's dangerous. I'm going to try changing from a M-Th workout schedule, with PT on the weekend, to a split week schedule with PT mid-week and on the weekend. Kenpo practice is a goal of 10 minutes a day, fit in wherever possible, and no pressure if not. Similarly, I've not been keeping up on French and Russian, so one module a day, maybe 5-10 minutes. 

Thermoplastics is the fun part. I made a prototype bracer, to see how it's done, and I was pretty happy about how it turned out. There are a couple bubbles and rough patches, but I thought they'd be covered over by priming and painting. I was wrong:

bracer%20prototype.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it looks spiffy and I'm proud of it, but those bubbles on the top and middle layers bother me. I was trying out different heat settings when I made those layers, and they got too hot, too fast. If it was just that, I might try to ignore it, but there are some other issues that I think I can make better on a second go 'round. So, back to the crafting table! 

• Like 4

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

That bracer looks nice.  Is it supposed to be part of an overall outfit, or an accessory you can use as needed? (or both?)

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Oooo thermoplastics! :D I have a small addiction to watching cosplay construction videos and I've always wanted to play around with that stuff... looks fun!

If you are going to keep the bracers and not recycle them, you can always cover the bumps with a design, or alternately go back with the heat gun and make it all bumpy! :)  (I suppose you could also sand them, but what fun is that?)

I may steal your 'just one thing per hobby' concept... I need to get myself out of a similar swamp of 'too many shiny things, must do all of them!'. :lol:

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That bracer looks nice.  Is it supposed to be part of an overall outfit, or an accessory you can use as needed? (or both?)

Thanks. It's ideally going to be a Lady Thor outfit, though I'm still waffling on sticking to a certain design or making it my own. I mean, if I run across anyone else who wears one silver bracer, though, why not? :) 

8 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

Oooo thermoplastics! :D I have a small addiction to watching cosplay construction videos and I've always wanted to play around with that stuff... looks fun!

If you are going to keep the bracers and not recycle them, you can always cover the bumps with a design, or alternately go back with the heat gun and make it all bumpy! :)  (I suppose you could also sand them, but what fun is that?)

I may steal your 'just one thing per hobby' concept... I need to get myself out of a similar swamp of 'too many shiny things, must do all of them!'. :lol:

It really is a lot of fun - if you clear your hobby swamp, I can highly recommend it! I think I'm going to use the bracer as painting practice for now - if I ever decide to get rid of it, I"ll probably donate it to a thrift store so someone else can have fun with it. I struggled a lot with the "one thing per hobby" idea, because you basically have to give up on a lot of things to just focus on one. It's amazing how much you actually finish, though, just doing one thing at a time. I've finished more projects this year than in the last 6-7 years combined. 

• Like 1

I hadn't expected to finish this quite so fast, but the long weekend gave me extra time. Blue skirt, done.

Skirt20Front.jpg  Skirt20Back.jpg

My first attempt to recreate a skirt without taking apart the original, and my first use of a walking foot/ stretch/ sheer fabrics. The walking foot made a huge difference in the time and frustration needed to work with stretch and sheer fabrics. 10/10, will do again. 

• Like 2

I'm sad I missed the original thermoplastic creation last challenge, but it looks pretty cool! Looking forward to the next one! 

• Like 1

"You can have what you want, or you can have something better"

Character Page                Current Challenge    

Spoiler

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19

PACT challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

To set an example for my patients and my family.

To no longer feel inferior or held back because of my weight.

To gain more confidence and be proud of my appearance.

Starting Weight: 290 lbs

Main Quest: Reach my Ideal Body Weight of 190 lbs

That skirt looks great

• Like 1

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 11/24/2017 at 12:27 PM, Manarelle said:

if you clear your hobby swamp

Oh, man, I have lived all my life in the hobby swamp.  Only just now starting to get clear of it, but I love the name "hobby swamp" and will be hanging on to that one when old habits of too-many-shiny-things start to creep in. 

Following! That skirt looks great, btw.

• Like 2

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 11/24/2017 at 1:27 PM, Manarelle said:

It really is a lot of fun - if you clear your hobby swamp, I can highly recommend it! I think I'm going to use the bracer as painting practice for now - if I ever decide to get rid of it, I"ll probably donate it to a thrift store so someone else can have fun with it. I struggled a lot with the "one thing per hobby" idea, because you basically have to give up on a lot of things to just focus on one. It's amazing how much you actually finish, though, just doing one thing at a time. I've finished more projects this year than in the last 6-7 years combined. 

I definitely need to do this too.  You sound like a bit of a polymath ;)

• Like 1

Current Challenge: [Beginning Jan 2020]

Past Challenges: Road to Redemption  Spartan! 006 Triwizard Wonder (1/2) Bourne Foundations Storyteller

"Come stay a while and listen" - Deckard

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf 

Thanks guys, I'm quite pleased with the skirt. I will admit I had to look up "polymath" - my father calls it having a "junkyard mind." Everything is interesting, it's hard not to poke at new things. 

Anyhow, week 1 wrap-up:

• Sewing: Finished blue skirt, got fabric for pants #2 and 3.
  • Exercise: PT yes, kenpo once. Not the best.
  • Languages: Not good. Japanese, yes, French/Russian, maybe 2 nights.
  • Thermoplastics: Yes. Did work on the prototype and started mark 2.

It was kind of a rough week, but that's not really a good excuse. I thought kenpo was starting up this week, so I changed my workout schedule all around, only to discover it start in January. :( Wednesday, I was supposed to get a crown done, so I hustled to the dentist instead of home at 5, only for the new dentist to completely fail to get me numb. After 3 shots, I couldn't feel my ear or my tongue, but my jaw and lips were fine. So we rescheduled (I've had my fill of anesthesia-free dental work, tyvm), and I went home to a dinner I couldn't taste because my tongue was numb. Kind of a blah ending to the day.Friday was a surprise night out, which was fun, but meant nothing got done. Don't even know what happened with languages, just never got the umph to do them at home, other than reading headlines in my newsfeed and sending a message to my tutor on when we would both next be available. 

Thermoplastics is the only thing I appear to have excelled at this week, and I've got mixed feelings on that. I did try out the finish on the prototype, which I think will work well (the left-most part has been finished, middle part has been weathered, back part just spray paint), then put together the pieces for mark 2. With the prototype, I put it all together, then had problems sanding and painting in the crevices, so I'm going to try sanding and putting the base coat on before assembly this time. The pieces just stacked together look pretty decent, though, and I avoided having bubbles or rough spots, so I'm hoping this one will turn out as what I wanted.

Prototype:

MVIMG_20171128_191712.jpg MVIMG_20171128_191721.jpg

Mark 2:

image1.jpg image.jpg

• Like 5

On 12/2/2017 at 2:42 PM, Manarelle said:

Thanks guys, I'm quite pleased with the skirt. I will admit I had to look up "polymath" - my father calls it having a "junkyard mind." Everything is interesting, it's hard not to poke at new things. 

Anyhow, week 1 wrap-up:

• Sewing: Finished blue skirt, got fabric for pants #2 and 3.
  • Exercise: PT yes, kenpo once. Not the best.
  • Languages: Not good. Japanese, yes, French/Russian, maybe 2 nights.
  • Thermoplastics: Yes. Did work on the prototype and started mark 2.

It was kind of a rough week, but that's not really a good excuse. I thought kenpo was starting up this week, so I changed my workout schedule all around, only to discover it start in January. :( Wednesday, I was supposed to get a crown done, so I hustled to the dentist instead of home at 5, only for the new dentist to completely fail to get me numb. After 3 shots, I couldn't feel my ear or my tongue, but my jaw and lips were fine. So we rescheduled (I've had my fill of anesthesia-free dental work, tyvm), and I went home to a dinner I couldn't taste because my tongue was numb. Kind of a blah ending to the day.Friday was a surprise night out, which was fun, but meant nothing got done. Don't even know what happened with languages, just never got the umph to do them at home, other than reading headlines in my newsfeed and sending a message to my tutor on when we would both next be available. 

Thermoplastics is the only thing I appear to have excelled at this week, and I've got mixed feelings on that. I did try out the finish on the prototype, which I think will work well (the left-most part has been finished, middle part has been weathered, back part just spray paint), then put together the pieces for mark 2. With the prototype, I put it all together, then had problems sanding and painting in the crevices, so I'm going to try sanding and putting the base coat on before assembly this time. The pieces just stacked together look pretty decent, though, and I avoided having bubbles or rough spots, so I'm hoping this one will turn out as what I wanted.

Prototype:

MVIMG_20171128_191712.jpg MVIMG_20171128_191721.jpg

Mark 2:

image1.jpg image.jpg

They look so awesome! 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 11/23/2017 at 12:39 PM, Manarelle said:

Thermoplastics is the fun part. I made a prototype bracer, to see how it's done, and I was pretty happy about how it turned out. There are a couple bubbles and rough patches, but I thought they'd be covered over by priming and painting. I was wrong:

bracer%20prototype.jpg

Don't get me wrong, it looks spiffy and I'm proud of it, but those bubbles on the top and middle layers bother me. I was trying out different heat settings when I made those layers, and they got too hot, too fast. If it was just that, I might try to ignore it, but there are some other issues that I think I can make better on a second go 'round. So, back to the crafting table! 

Personally, I think the bubbles look great. They make it look like it's actually worn / used. I suppose if you were going for the pristine look, you'd want to smooth it out a bit, but overall, I think it's really cool. 

I know I was going to toy with thermoplastics a few years back for a car project I was working, but much like what you described, I was spread too thin on hobbies, and it sat around at about #10 on the to-do list for forever and I ended up never doing it. 

Subbing for cool costume design and fun!

Daily Log ]

Week 3 summary:

• Sewing: Nothing - working on thermoplastics (and that's ok).
  • Exercise: PT done on schedule, might change schedule in the future though. 
  • Languages: Japanese done, a couple Russian days in there, too. 
  • Thermoplastics: Primed and compiled the bracer. On hold now until it's warm enough to spray paint. 

This coming week will likely be sewing, since it's too cold to spray paint the bracer. I'm pretty happy about where I am on all levels of maintenance, to be honest. Had a personal training session on Friday that cleared up some form and questions about how hard to push; hoping that I'll see more changes next year because of it. 

Mark 2 of bracer:

Bracer%202-2.jpg

Bracer%202-1.jpg

• Like 3

Oooh the new bracer looks fantastic!! 

How often do you see your personal trainer? I've never seen one but I feel like having someone to keep me on track would be useful. 

On 12/11/2017 at 3:15 PM, traaki said:

How often do you see your personal trainer? I've never seen one but I feel like having someone to keep me on track would be useful. 

I just got the one free lesson with them, although they're always there for quick pointers or if you want to sign up. I got a lot of good info out of our time together, will go on that until I see a slow-down in changes.

Week 3:

I'm not even going to bother with bullet points. The past 6 days have sucked, hard. I thought I was just coming down with a cold, but I have been unable to sleep or breathe well since Wednesday last. Saturday felt better, then Sunday took a major turn for the worse, so I went to urgent care this morning. They're saying it's "just" a bad case of sinusitis - which I have opinions about - but they gave me stuff that appears to be working without taking away my ability to sleep. Just woke up from a 2-hour nap and feeling more coherent than I have in ages. Might even be able to clean up some of the chaos that's been mounting around the house, and I feel hungry for the first time in four days. Do I feel healthy? Heck no. Do I feel better? Yes. Did I accomplish ANYTHING toward my goals? Not in the slightest, but I also did not kill myself, lose my job, or push myself to do things unhealthfully. Close enough to a win. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I'm not even going to bother with bullet points. The past 6 days have sucked, hard. I thought I was just coming down with a cold, but I have been unable to sleep or breathe well since Wednesday last.

Jeez, sorry to hear you've been so sick! I feel like there's some kind of crazy plague going around.  I hope you keep feeling better and congrats on not pushing yourself too hard.  

• Like 1

The plague is definitely going around.  Hope you get feeling better soon!

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

The Martian Death Flu season is in full swing here as well, I hope the meds are helping! Half the building where I work is coughing up a storm and I have a feeling that my holiday gatherings with family are just going to spread the germy love. *sighs* Am glad to hear you are not too bummed about losing a week to the winter sicks, it can be frustrating but spring is out there somewhere! :) *sends you some e-chicken soup and saltines*

• Like 1

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

Thanks for the sympathy. :) The meds are doing wonders (I actually slept all the way through the night last night), so while I'm still sniffly and coughing now and then, I was able to do most of a PT "workout" last night. The side effects of the horse pill antibiotics are less than fun (bright side, I'm getting lots of walking in from going to the bathroom at least once an hour), but overall, I'll take it. After having "be sick" as my to-do for a week, it was rather nice to have free, coherent, lucid time last night to spend on a hobby; I ended up catching up on the situation in Ukraine which might not sound like a hobby, but it really is. I have today off to help a friend (non-physical labor, thank goodness), then work half a day Friday. Hopefully this weekend is more relaxing and enjoyable than the last!

• Like 1

Week 4:

• Sewing: Finish the blue skirt, then start another pair of work pants. DONE
  • Exercise: Solidify PT and Kenpo practice. DONE (Mostly)
  • Languages: One module of French or Russian per day, maintain Japanese at lunch. DONE
  • Thermoplastics: Make a new bracer, practice painting on the prototype. DONE

So aside from being horribly sick for the last two weeks of the challenge, I think it went reasonably well. I've gotten on a good schedule for PT and language practice, and I made decent progress on sewing and thermoplastics. Not as much as if I hadn't been sick, but that's how life goes. In a good place to keep building on all this; here's to 2018.

• Like 3