Jump to content

Rhovaniel gets going, with or without Motivation


Rhovaniel

Recommended Posts

I have no motivation. I have eaten… horrifically in the last couple of weeks. I have not worked on any writing, taken no active steps towards my Big Goal – though I have thought and fretted and freaked out about it no end – and I feel like I have unconsciously let my ankle become an excuse, not to exercise as much as I know I can probably do. I am metaphorically on the floor. And there is only one thing left to do.

 

Get up.

 

I don’t have a story segment written like I wanted, and I may not at all this time around. That’s not important right now. What is important is that I get the basics back under control. So that’s what this last challenge of the year is all about. Getting back to the grind, and keeping at it when the easy route beckons and the temptations of Christmas start to attack.

 

Goals:

 

Food:

-       1600 -1700 calories daily. This is non-negotiable. Log it all. Even if I slip and it ends up being 3000+ calories. This will be hard for me. I hate tracking, and I have had freak outs about the number on the screen in the past. But I also know that if I can do this, I have a much better chance of winning my war with food.

 

-       All snacking of unplanned unhealthy crap to be replaced by fruit, a handful of nuts, etc. Planned things, like eating out and knowing I’ll want desert, is fine. So long as that doesn’t happen every week ;) 

 

 

Workouts:

 

-       Bodyweight workout 3 x week.

-       Cardio to consist of walking only, 2 x week. One to be a 5k walk. One to be a long walk. Starting at 5.5km and adding a little each week, listening to my ankle and not pushing it past discomfort.

-       Daily Dares to at least be attempted each day

 

 

I will make the effort to post every. single. day. It's the only way I know I'll hold myself accountable through the long days of grind...

  • Like 9

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

 

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

This is non-negotiable. Log it all. Even if I slip and it ends up being 3000+ calories. This will be hard for me. I hate tracking, and I have had freak outs about the number on the screen in the past. But I also know that if I can do this, I have a much better chance of winning my war with food.

I'm also horrible at this. I find it very hard to want to face up to my actions when I'm going off the rails. Which is what actual tracking does. I'm here with this one with you. Sometimes you've just got to get it done. Of course, I'm following. And yes, though I love it, you and your goals are what is important for the challenge; not the story. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post

You got this!! Here to follow again!!

  • Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

 

Link to post

I love the image of getting up. It does not matter how many times we fall (n), it only matters that we get up n+1 times.

You got this, and you got me in your corner.

  • Like 7

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post
8 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I have no motivation. I have eaten… horrifically in the last couple of weeks. I have not worked on any writing, taken no active steps towards my Big Goal – though I have thought and fretted and freaked out about it no end – and I feel like I have unconsciously let my ankle become an excuse, not to exercise as much as I know I can probably do. I am metaphorically on the floor. And there is only one thing left to do.

 

Get up.

 

Yep. Same, same and same, without the excuse of a bad ankle.

 

We are all doing the same thing. And you know what that means?

 

WE RISE.

 

 

I'm sorry, I know this is a no-hype challenge. But as Tank said, hype is different than Epic.

 

We've got Epic. We are. Epic.

 

We rise.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SKY ELVENWORD

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 44

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

 

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Pilgrim's Progress (32%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 
 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Link to post

Following!

  • Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post

Following with an outstretched hand, in case you need any help getting up. You got this!

  • Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

  Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Link to post
16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

It does not matter how many times we fall (n), it only matters that we get up n+1 times.

 

What Tank said, for sure.

 

You've got this, and you've got us for support whenever you need us.

  • Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

 

 

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Link to post
On 11/23/2017 at 9:42 PM, jonfirestar said:

I'm also horrible at this. I find it very hard to want to face up to my actions when I'm going off the rails. Which is what actual tracking does. I'm here with this one with you. Sometimes you've just got to get it done. Of course, I'm following. And yes, though I love it, you and your goals are what is important for the challenge; not the story. 

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not liking the idea, but sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and do it, right?

 

On 11/23/2017 at 10:57 PM, EaseActivate said:

 

 

I see you. 

 

You can totally get up.

Thank you. I'm done being at the bottom. 

 

On 11/23/2017 at 11:35 PM, Stribs said:

You got this!! Here to follow again!!

Thanks, glad to have you :) 

 

On 11/24/2017 at 5:49 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I love the image of getting up. It does not matter how many times we fall (n), it only matters that we get up n+1 times.

You got this, and you got me in your corner.

Thanks Tank, it means a lot. n+1 is what I tell myself when I slip. 

On 11/24/2017 at 6:22 AM, SkyGirl said:

 

Yep. Same, same and same, without the excuse of a bad ankle.

 

We are all doing the same thing. And you know what that means?

 

WE RISE.

 

 

I'm sorry, I know this is a no-hype challenge. But as Tank said, hype is different than Epic.

 

We've got Epic. We are. Epic.

 

We rise.

For some reason, I can't watch the video (copyright laws, probably). But thank you Sky. We are indeed Epic. We will indeed Rise. 

 

On 11/24/2017 at 6:25 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Following!

Glad to have you!

 

On 11/24/2017 at 11:44 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following with an outstretched hand, in case you need any help getting up. You got this!

Thanks CQ. I appreciate that :) 

 

On 11/24/2017 at 10:03 PM, iatetheyeti said:

 

What Tank said, for sure.

 

You've got this, and you've got us for support whenever you need us.

Thanks, Yeti :) 

 

It means a lot to have all of you guys in my corner. Especially in regards to accountability ;) 

 

 

Week One, Day One

 

Food:

Tracking: Pass.  Had to make a few guestimations on some things (Iike how much almond milk I put in my coffee) but I've tracked all day so far. Putting in the steak and potato dinner I have planned puts me about 40 calories over. BUT I have spent most of the day hungry and restlessly finding things to do to keep from eating. That's not going to work in the office where I pretty much have to be at my desk all day. It makes me wonder just how much I was eating in these past weeks. But in order for a goal to work it has to be attainable, so I'm going to bump up the calories to around 1900 and hope that's enough to stop me getting too hungry. Because that leads to me stuffing my face with everything in sight. 

 

Replace unhealthy snacking: Pass (so far. The evening is always a trial) I REALLY wanted one of the galaxy bars I have hanging around, but I ate two clementines instead. 

 

 

Workouts:

- Daily Dare done, but no EC. I have lost a lot of strength. But I will get it back ;)

- No bodyweight work out. I'm planning on Monday, Wednesday and Friday being my days for this. 

- Did get out for a walk though. Smart watch says 6.8km, but that's for the whole day. I haven't been out of the house before or since though, so it's safe to say that was the bulk of it. My ankle was quite achy by the end though. 

 

  • Like 6

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

 

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Thanks. Yeah, I'm not liking the idea, but sometimes you just have to grit your teeth and do it, right?

 

Yes, that is right. Moreover victories now are sweeter than when it is easy. Each and every day to do it is a step closer to your goals. When the motivation returns you'll be thankful that you took them. 

 

11 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Tracking: Pass.  Had to make a few guesstimations on some things (Iike how much almond milk I put in my coffee) but I've tracked all day so far. Putting in the steak and potato dinner I have planned puts me about 40 calories over.

Okay just a few things. If you cannot stand to guesstimate the amount of almond milk in your coffee (though it's pocket change calories and I wouldn't worry about it too much) use a digital scale. If you don't need one that explicitly does liquid. 1g = 1ml, it really is as simple as that.  

 

Neither do I think you should stress out by being over by 40 calories. The margin for error is probably that much and it may not be ideal but it's well within the realms of controlled calorie intake.

 

I'm happy that you are looking to eat more. You shouldn't be feeling hungry all the time but at the same time, it's worth pointing out that if you've been eating in excess for a few weeks and have suddenly gone into deficit you will feel hungry for a couple of days. You are close enough to begin an ideal weight that you really just want to think about tipping the balance point over to being in a deficit and dropping maybe 250g per week, maybe even less and just letting time do the rest. 

  • Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Tracking: Pass.  Had to make a few guestimations on some things (Iike how much almond milk I put in my coffee) but I've tracked all day so far. Putting in the steak and potato dinner I have planned puts me about 40 calories over. BUT I have spent most of the day hungry and restlessly finding things to do to keep from eating. That's not going to work in the office where I pretty much have to be at my desk all day. It makes me wonder just how much I was eating in these past weeks. But in order for a goal to work it has to be attainable, so I'm going to bump up the calories to around 1900 and hope that's enough to stop me getting too hungry. Because that leads to me stuffing my face with everything in sight. 

 

Bumping up the target sounds like a good plan, all things considered. There's no sense in ending every day going hungry. I'm trying to do the same kind of thing myself, but as I'm not tracking much of anything it's a little tricky. I'm sure we'll both find a balance between eating enough and maintaining enough of a deficit to be effective at some point though!

 

And I'm just gonna +1 what Jon says, 'cause it's sound advice as always :) 

  • Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

 

 

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Link to post
1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm happy that you are looking to eat more. You shouldn't be feeling hungry all the time but at the same time, it's worth pointing out that if you've been eating in excess for a few weeks and have suddenly gone into deficit you will feel hungry for a couple of days. You are close enough to begin an ideal weight that you really just want to think about tipping the balance point over to being in a deficit and dropping maybe 250g per week, maybe even less and just letting time do the rest. 

 

5 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

 

Bumping up the target sounds like a good plan, all things considered. There's no sense in ending every day going hungry. I'm trying to do the same kind of thing myself, but as I'm not tracking much of anything it's a little tricky. I'm sure we'll both find a balance between eating enough and maintaining enough of a deficit to be effective at some point though!

 

And I'm just gonna +1 what Jon says, 'cause it's sound advice as always :) 

 

Yeah, I realised I was basing 1600-1700 calories on a calculation that had the default as losing a 1kg a week. Not sustainable for me. 1900 is more like my TDEE -20%, which feels more manageable. My main focus will be to eat three regular, proper meals (read: not snacking my way through the evening instead of eating dinner) and getting myself out of the snacking loop I'm in. Work is where it's going to be hardest, because I've become so used to snacking that now my brain thinks I'm hungry when I'm probably just too used to snacking at those times. But as you guys remind me, the accomplishment will feel all the more victorious when I beat it!

  • Like 3

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

 

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Link to post
40 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Work is where it's going to be hardest, because I've become so used to snacking that now my brain thinks I'm hungry when I'm probably just too used to snacking at those times.

That is going to be a bit of a fight until you break the cycle. You've got this! 

  • Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
2 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

My main focus will be to eat three regular, proper meals (read: not snacking my way through the evening instead of eating dinner) and getting myself out of the snacking loop I'm in. Work is where it's going to be hardest, because I've become so used to snacking that now my brain thinks I'm hungry when I'm probably just too used to snacking at those times.

 

I hear you there. Gotta remind myself that I can't just bake off an extra cookie or two anymore... 

  • Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

 

 

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Link to post
On 11/26/2017 at 7:27 PM, jonfirestar said:

That is going to be a bit of a fight until you break the cycle. You've got this! 

I know... the problem is that I need to watch what I replace the unhealthy snacks with...

 

23 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

 

I hear you there. Gotta remind myself that I can't just bake off an extra cookie or two anymore... 

I'm so lucky that's not an option. Warm cookies know just how to call my name :lol: 

 

 

Week One, Day Two: The Grind is On.

 

Food: 

Tracking: Pass.  Bumped up to 1900 calories and felt much better because I didn't feel like I was super hungry all day. I'm finishing the day at around 1790 calories. Somehow, just telling my brain it had more to work with stopped it freaking out too much. Though I will probably bulk up my lunch a little at work. It was an effort to work out before dinner because I just wanted to Eat All The Things. 

 

Replace unhealthy snacking: Pass. But in the course of my work day I ate three apples in a bid not to go near the vending machine, and my stomach felt a little odd about that. I need some more healthy alternatives at my desk. The problem is that nuts can easily end up being a huge chunk of calories without me even noticing. 

 

 

Workouts:

- Daily Dare done, but no EC. I was actually pleasantly surprised that I only took 3 sets to do the staggered push ups in...

- Got in a simple, modified workout. Ankle still not liking certain movements, and I am trying very hard not to get frustrated. 

- No walk today. 

 

 

Work was kinda frustrating. Computer was being... obstinate (it's pretty old, so it has some excuse for being slow) and a miscommunication between sales and the research managers meant I wrote a prelim for a site that was meant to be a detailed... ugh. It was an awkward site too. A day's work not quite lost, but close to it. But I kept at my goals. Trust me, I was not feeling in the mood to work out this evening. But I got it done. And cooked dinner. Okay, it was microwave pouches of frozen veg and some chicken sausages, but it was dinner. And that brings my total of proper meals today up to 3. :) 

 

Hype or no Hype, Motivation or no Motivation, I'm determined to grind this out. 

 

  • Like 6

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

 

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Link to post

About your snacking problem, there are a few options: 

 

1. Drink water. Pro: it fills you up. Con: You'll need to pee more.

2. Eat ice cubes (plain or flavored with just a bit of juice). Pro: you get the satisfaction of chewing something. Con: Brain freeze.

3. Beef jerky. Pros: tasty! High in protein! Cons: gives your jaw a workout (could be good?). Calories stack up quickly.

4. Hard-boiled egg. Pros: tasty! High in protein! Reasonable calorie wise! (about 80 for a large egg). Super easy to make! Con: None! Unless you don't like eggs... (blasphemy!)

5. Celery/carrot sticks with peanut butter. Pros:  tasty! High in protein! Super easy to make! Con: peanut butter has a lot of calories. Be careful.

6. Plain celery/carrot sticks. Pro: Super easy to make. You can eat pretty much all you want. Cons: Taste is... ok. Your coworkers will complain about the crunching noise. :D 

 

Those are just a few suggestions. I highly recommend the hard boiled egg. Easy to make, easy to carry, you can make a big batch and season them with pretty much anything! (I have my home blend of paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper just for those. :D)

 

Hang in there!

 

  • Like 3

Current form: Chubby House Cat (lvl4)

Weight objective: 20%

S. 4 P. 6 E. 4 C. 7 I. 8 A. 4 L. 5

Battle log

Current Challenge

Handy linky.

Link to post

Nice job on the tracking and snacking so far!

 

My 2 cents on feeling hungry during the day would be to look at what you're eating. Upping my protein in my lunch and having fattier snacks (avocado, almond butter, olive oil dressing on my salad) helped me feel full. 

  • Like 1

Feminist Ranger (she/her)

Based in Melbourne, Australia

Current Challenge: Emerald Eagle refills her cup (January 2021)
Instagram: @emeraldeaglenf

 

“I wish you would thrash him. He deserves it." She looked back at him. "I will one day, sir. I'm getting tired of falling down.” - Alanna: The First Adventure

Link to post
On 11/23/2017 at 3:42 PM, jonfirestar said:

I'm also horrible at this. I find it very hard to want to face up to my actions when I'm going off the rails. Which is what actual tracking does. I'm here with this one with you. Sometimes you've just got to get it done. Of course, I'm following. And yes, though I love it, you and your goals are what is important for the challenge; not the story. 

 

Oh gosh, this is me.  So me.   Dislike tracking to begin with, then the numbers sometimes make me rage, and if I go over... it's a huge tracking tantrum.     Always trying one more time myself, so here for the team support.

 

On 11/24/2017 at 4:03 PM, iatetheyeti said:

 

What Tank said, for sure.

 

You've got this, and you've got us for support whenever you need us.

 Tank is always so wise.

Listen to Tank.

 

I'm also switching to just WALKING on my off days for this challenge!   So, more twins there!

 

 

  • Like 1

Level 71 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to post

My quick snack are belvita crackers.  230 cals per pack, but if you eat them with a glass of water they are full of fiber and fill me up for ages.  Tons of flavors and styles, but it's always 230 cals a pack.  The 4 crackers tend to be more filling than any of the other kinds though.  Cranberry orange is my flavor of the week.  I also skip the peanut butter as a dip and use hummus, lower cals and again, tons of flavors and variety.  

 

Looks like you had a solid day overall, and your dinner TOTALLY counts.  Sorry about your wasted day of work!

  • Like 2

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

 

Link to post
11 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

miscommunication between sales and the research managers meant I wrote a prelim for a site that was meant to be a detailed... ugh. It was an awkward site too. A day's work not quite lost, but close to it. But I kept at my goals. Trust me, I was not feeling in the mood to work out this evening. But I got it done. And cooked dinner. Okay, it was microwave pouches of frozen veg and some chicken sausages, but it was dinner. And that brings my total of proper meals today up to 3. :) 

Those kind of days happen. Try not to feel too bad about it. You did a great job cooking dinner, don't mock nuked veggie pouches. Those things are an amazing option in a pinch. The tick to cooking after work is to figure out recipes that you can do start to finish quickly and with little fuss.

 

8 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Oh gosh, this is me.  So me.   Dislike tracking to begin with, then the numbers sometimes make me rage, and if I go over... it's a huge tracking tantrum.     Always trying one more time myself, so here for the team support.

Yeah, it's not great. I am terrible at tracking tbh. I find MFP works if I use it to plan out my calorie intake for the week but far less if I try to actually track things.

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

 

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

 

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Link to post
18 hours ago, Rhovaniel said:

I'm so lucky that's not an option. Warm cookies know just how to call my name :lol: 

 

It can be interesting at times, that's for sure. Especially if they're salted caramel cookies...

 

  • Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

 

 

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Link to post
21 hours ago, Basement Cat said:

About your snacking problem, there are a few options: 

 

1. Drink water. Pro: it fills you up. Con: You'll need to pee more.

2. Eat ice cubes (plain or flavored with just a bit of juice). Pro: you get the satisfaction of chewing something. Con: Brain freeze.

3. Beef jerky. Pros: tasty! High in protein! Cons: gives your jaw a workout (could be good?). Calories stack up quickly.

4. Hard-boiled egg. Pros: tasty! High in protein! Reasonable calorie wise! (about 80 for a large egg). Super easy to make! Con: None! Unless you don't like eggs... (blasphemy!)

5. Celery/carrot sticks with peanut butter. Pros:  tasty! High in protein! Super easy to make! Con: peanut butter has a lot of calories. Be careful.

6. Plain celery/carrot sticks. Pro: Super easy to make. You can eat pretty much all you want. Cons: Taste is... ok. Your coworkers will complain about the crunching noise. :D 

 

Those are just a few suggestions. I highly recommend the hard boiled egg. Easy to make, easy to carry, you can make a big batch and season them with pretty much anything! (I have my home blend of paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper just for those. :D)

 

Hang in there!

 

Thanks. I drink plenty of water, but the cravings are hard to break! I will try some of the other options though!

 

20 hours ago, EmeraldEagle said:

Nice job on the tracking and snacking so far!

 

My 2 cents on feeling hungry during the day would be to look at what you're eating. Upping my protein in my lunch and having fattier snacks (avocado, almond butter, olive oil dressing on my salad) helped me feel full. 

That's an idea. I think the problem is that my lunches the last couple of days have been under 500 calories, and that means I'm fighting a battle with the belly rumbles by the end of the work day :( 

 

19 hours ago, Starpuck said:

 

Oh gosh, this is me.  So me.   Dislike tracking to begin with, then the numbers sometimes make me rage, and if I go over... it's a huge tracking tantrum.     Always trying one more time myself, so here for the team support.

 

 Tank is always so wise.

Listen to Tank.

 

I'm also switching to just WALKING on my off days for this challenge!   So, more twins there!

 

 

Tank is indeed wise. If you have a Ranger Chaplain, it is well to listen to him :) I'll have to check out your challenge!

 

18 hours ago, Stribs said:

My quick snack are belvita crackers.  230 cals per pack, but if you eat them with a glass of water they are full of fiber and fill me up for ages.  Tons of flavors and styles, but it's always 230 cals a pack.  The 4 crackers tend to be more filling than any of the other kinds though.  Cranberry orange is my flavor of the week.  I also skip the peanut butter as a dip and use hummus, lower cals and again, tons of flavors and variety.  

 

Looks like you had a solid day overall, and your dinner TOTALLY counts.  Sorry about your wasted day of work!

I'm not sure I've come across Belvita crackers. They will be hunted down and tried... :D 

 

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Those kind of days happen. Try not to feel too bad about it. You did a great job cooking dinner, don't mock nuked veggie pouches. Those things are an amazing option in a pinch. The tick to cooking after work is to figure out recipes that you can do start to finish quickly and with little fuss.

 

Yeah, it's not great. I am terrible at tracking tbh. I find MFP works if I use it to plan out my calorie intake for the week but far less if I try to actually track things.

To be honest, I totally counted that dinner as a proper meal! It had more than one component to it!

 

4 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

 

It can be interesting at times, that's for sure. Especially if they're salted caramel cookies...

 

Salted... caramel... cookies. Do want. Must avoid. Note to self: Avoid Morrison's bakery section at all costs!

 

 

So, we're grinding right on to Week One, Day Three. The day my brain is bored of the discipline and whines for treats. Because, you know, two days of healthy eating is FOREVER and I really want chocolate and I'm hungry and a thousand and one other excuses. Right now, I really want to go attack some chocolate. But I'm not gonna. 

 

Food: 

Tracking: Pass. Even tracked the single rolo (25 calories) I had from a friend at work. Ending the day around 1,830 calories (I say around because I never know how accurate some of the entries are on MFP). 

 

Replace unhealthy snacking: Pass. Only one apple this time, though. I've also started to chew gum in a bid to combat the 'I want foooooood!' impulse. 

 

 

Workouts:

- Daily Dare: Nope. I can't squat fully yet because this stupid, not healing quick enough ankle hurts when I do. So no DD today. I did however, get 100 mountain climbers in and I'll aim for another 40 before bed. 

- Rest day from workouts. Shoulders felt slightly sore today, which was nice. It's good to feel like your muscles are actually being worked!

- No walk today. I have to take a day trip to Manchester for work on Thursday, so I'm going to try walk round there for a bit before I get the train back. Provided I don't run out of time. Either way, I'm gonna be spending a lot of time sitting on a train, so I'd like to combat it with stretching my legs for a longish walk. 

  • Like 8

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

 

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Link to post
1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

Salted... caramel... cookies. Do want. Must avoid. Note to self: Avoid Morrison's bakery section at all costs!

 

Heh, probably the best idea, all things considered!

 

 

1 hour ago, Rhovaniel said:

I've also started to chew gum in a bid to combat the 'I want foooooood!' impulse. 

 

...might have to start doing this too. Especially when I'm emoting. Or doing a bakery shift.

  • Like 2

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

 

 

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines