• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Telethot

Why is switching to water so frigging hard?

I feel stupid that this is even an issue but I am certain that I am not the only one who has this problem. For years I have realized that most of my calories are from drinking soda and I need to change this. Undoubtedly this will be my biggest obstacle. 

For some reason however the transition to water is really hard. Living in Vegas I definitely need bottled water as our water tastes awful and living in the desert it only makes sense to drink more. First issue, most bottled waters especially cheap ones taste like plastic to me.

Second issue, I don't feel well after drinking a bottle of water. Sometimes I have noticed that I rush drinking to get it over with but not always. I will also rush to reward myself with a soda. But even when I take it slow I just don't feel right.

I don't want to substitute for artificial sweeteners if possible. A recent discovery is Vitamin Water. The Zero options don't show the usual culprits in artificial sweeteners. Is anyone familiar with what's in these? 

Any suggestions or substitutions is appreciated. 

Lemon water? We've lived places with terrible water a lot, and my wife drinks A LOT of water in a given day. She has a shot or two of lemon juice in each one.  I prefer lime, myself.  You may go through a lot of lemon juice this way, but it really does fix most of the taste problems, AND if you make it sour enough it's hard to chug it all at once, so it can force you to sip and take your time with it.  

• Like 1

Have you considered seltzer water? They have a slight fizz, fruit flavor (the citrus ones seem to be the most popular), and no sugar or sweeteners.

I would recommend purchasing single bottles and test several brands and flavors out, if you have the opportunity, until you find something you like.

Thanks for the suggestions. It isn't actually the taste in most cases. Although Las Vegas tap water is totally unpalatable. Lemon will definitely help with the plastic taste though. 

I still am a little confused as to why any significant amount of plain water just makes me feel awful. Perhaps it's need for transition. 

Anyone familiar with what's used to sweeten Vitamin Water Zero and if it has negative metabolism effects?

Note to self. Must buy lemons.

Drinking a lot of fluids when the body isn't expecting it, can lead to nausea. I have to stop myself from chugging water after a workout, for that reason.

An alternative explanation is that something in the water is making you feel sick... such as the many minerals, or any chlorine that has been added to your tap water, maybe? Do you get the same thing from bottled water?

• Like 1

Your prompt response is overwhelming! 

I don't drink any tap water except for the occasional sip at a restaurant. Any water currently is bottled. 

Before beginning I was aware that this was going to be my biggest obstacle. I'm having an easier time cutting back cigarettes. Perhaps I will have to accept that this habit will be slow to change and make slow conscious progress.

Side-effect of being an introvert on a major holiday, lots of time spent on a computer in the evening as an excuse to avoid face-to-face time with people...

If you know this is going to be a difficult challenge that will be slow to change, keeping that in mind may be the most important part for you. Keep looking for options and was to make the water more palatable. I like mixing mine with apple cider vinegar. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a pitcher filter, even though my city (Seattle) has excellent water, because I'm a bit paranoid about the pipes in my old building.  Pitcher filters (eg, Brita) are def the way to go if you want your water pure.  Bottled water is a truly hideous waste of fuel and money.  Fill your own damn bottle, the tap is right there.

There's no need to chug a glass of water if you're trying to up your intake.  Try carrying around a bottle or one of those cups with a straw in the top, and just sip from it frequently.  Drinking a belly full of water all at once can feel weird even if you're not addicted to soda, and it can upset your electrolytes if you overdo it.  If you have a sippy cup nearby, just slurp from it now and again, and it'll be empty before you know it.  Particularly good if you have an oral fixation ... like smoking.  (How can you even taste your water, with your tongue coated in filthy brown gunk?  I bet if you get off the tar sticks, you'll find water a lot more delicious...)

If you hate plastic taste in your water, get a glass or stainless steel bottle.  I prefer metal bottles for plain water, and glass for tea/smoothies/other since glass won't react with foods.

if you must have flavoring, I second @Thrillho about the citrus juice in your water.  Vitamin C is good for ya and lemons are cheap.  Personally I despise artificial sweeteners and yes, Vitamin Water contains them, so I do not drink the stuff.  But it's better than soda, if you just can't swallow pure water.

• Like 2

I took the plunge and got a Berkey filter. Initial investment is high but when you consider how many gallons are filtered it is quite reasonable. It can even make the Sin City water delicious. It's worth every penny if I can use it to switch. If you aren't familiar the Berkey is definitely worth researching. 

• Like 1

Looking at their website, they seem similar to Brita, or at least using the same concept.

I have a water bottle with a built-in replaceable Brita filter that I use when I travel. As long as the tap water is safe, how it tastes no longer matter. Brita fixes it. :)

On 11/24/2017 at 12:45 AM, Telethot said:

Your prompt response is overwhelming! 

I don't drink any tap water except for the occasional sip at a restaurant. Any water currently is bottled. 

Before beginning I was aware that this was going to be my biggest obstacle. I'm having an easier time cutting back cigarettes. Perhaps I will have to accept that this habit will be slow to change and make slow conscious progress.

Any particular reason you don't like artificial sweeteners?

I had a big problem with Ginger Ale, and Florida tap water isn't the tastiest--it's not even potable in some counties. The lemon does work though. I just made sure I matched my Ginger Ale with water 1:1, water first before allowing myself the Ginger Ale. I tried replacing them with the diet version, but I didn't really like those.

On 11/26/2017 at 10:33 PM, Raincloak said:

I have a pitcher filter, even though my city (Seattle) has excellent water, because I'm a bit paranoid about the pipes in my old building.  Pitcher filters (eg, Brita) are def the way to go if you want your water pure.  Bottled water is a truly hideous waste of fuel and money.  Fill your own damn bottle, the tap is right there.

I tasted Kirkland tap water once, and no water was ever the same.

On 12/4/2017 at 5:18 PM, scalyfreak said:

Looking at their website, they seem similar to Brita, or at least using the same concept.

I have a water bottle with a built-in replaceable Brita filter that I use when I travel. As long as the tap water is safe, how it tastes no longer matter. Brita fixes it. :)

Actually it is a much more comprehensive filter and last much longer. This actually removes bacteria and viruses from the water as well as medical waste, arsenic and I use optional flouride filters. 

The original ceramic filters were probably like the Brita but the black ones are superior. I also don't have to replace for 6000 gallons.

How are you doing with your water intake?

On 11/23/2017 at 6:59 PM, Telethot said:

Second issue, I don't feel well after drinking a bottle of water. Sometimes I have noticed that I rush drinking to get it over with but not always. I will also rush to reward myself with a soda. But even when I take it slow I just don't feel right.

I am a huge water drinker and I have this issue with certain bottled waters. I'm not sure if it's in my head or a real phenomenon, but I've switched to the electrolyte waters (like Smartwater) for when I'm on the road and it's been like night and day. 

48 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

How are you doing with your water intake?

I am a huge water drinker and I have this issue with certain bottled waters. I'm not sure if it's in my head or a real phenomenon, but I've switched to the electrolyte waters (like Smartwater) for when I'm on the road and it's been like night and day. 

I am doing better than expected with water intake. Of course some days better than others. I purchased a Berkey filter system which is amazing. It seems expensive but it will be years before replacing filters. Best tasting water ever.

I too find Vitamin Water helpful but trying not to add sweeteners artificial or not.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Telethot said:

I too find Vitamin Water helpful but trying not to add sweeteners artificial or not.

So Smartwater might be by the same people, but it is just water - no sweeteners or flavors. 

34 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

So Smartwater might be by the same people, but it is just water - no sweeteners or flavors. 

My bad. I will look into trying. I believe the electrolytes may help.

• Like 1

Florida water tastes like swamp.  It's the only American tap water I found difficult to drink.  I'm sure they recycle it a lot.

As for the berkey, it seems unnecessary to filter bacteria if you're using tap water which is already chlorinated.  But you are going to have to clean the filter and container every week or two, or you may get bacteria and algae growing inside it.  I just scrub out my Brita pitcher and wipe off the filter cartridge.  It sits on my counter, exposed to light, and if it doesn't get a periodic wash it starts to grow a coat of algae in the bottom.  I nicely filtered out all the chlorine, so the algae is quite happy in there.

It's one of the electrolytes that makes your cells go.  They put it in tap water to kill things that are much grosser.  Small amounts are harmless, though it's not super tasty.  Filtering it out does leave room for biomatter to start growing in the water.

• Like 1