Screw it! Round Three!

Dyego

So the last time, I skipped a challenge. I didn't do really bad or good between, and I was planning to skip this month as well. Especially because I have a new seasonal part-time job during the worst part of the year for retail...(being broke sucks)

But you know what, as the title says, screw it! I'm going to do this challenge and I'm going to crush it. My procrastination and taking-it-easy tendencies can go somewhere unpleasant. So here's my next challenge! I'm going to continue on with two previous goals, but start a new one.

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing weight. End Goal: 230. Current Weight: 267)

This Challenge's goals toward completing Epic Quest #1

Do your new diet (Paleo-ish + Candida + South Beach Diet)

I'm doing a new diet recommended by my doctor and looking around. I've got a yeast overgrowth issue that affects my gums, and I need to flush my system. So I'm doing the two-week South Beach + Candida starting, with minimum grains, carbs, or dairy. After that I will go to Paleo-ish, which is surprisingly less hard than the two weeks previous. Part of this involves very serious meal-planning, and I've got the first week planned, thanks to @Wobbegong prodding!

Exercise three times a week for five minutes

This time, I'm going to change my battle log to reflect ANY exercise triumphs, not just climbing the stairs. For some weird reason, not keeping a log makes exercise seem like a waste. (I know it's not true, but keeping the logs really helps.) So that's what I'm going to do!

Epic Quest #2: Hands of the Scribe, Words of the Bard (Or: Writing and publishing my next novel by the end of 2017)

This Challenge's goals toward completing Epic Quest #2

Write 7,000 words a week

Once again, I'm going to flunk NaNoWriMo, but this year I wrote three times as many words as I did last year, thanks to the challenge! I'm still going to try, and who knows, maybe I'll even hit the 50k word count by the end of the month. But I'm not going to punish myself if I don't. Instead, 7k a week until the book is done is my new goal.

Epic Quest #3: Summoner of Worlds (Or: Designing and Publishing my Boardgames / Videogames)

A new Epic Quest arrives! I've got a boardgame design I've playtested once, but I'd like to push it through until I can add "Game Designer" to my resume for real! There are several steps involved in boardgame creation, and here they are:

1. Design Document
  2. Mechanics Overview
  3. 'First Draft' Playtest
  4. Revision #1
  5. Second Draft Playtest
  6. Revision #2
  7. Rules pre-finalization
  8. Watchover Playtest (When you watch a group play your game with your rules but do not participate)
  9. Revision #3
  10. Exported Playtest (When you send the game to a group who playtest it without you watching, and they report back)
  11. Revision #4
  12. Rules Finilization
  13. Art Finilization
  14. Publish!

Now that's a lot of steps, but thankfully I already have some done. I'd like to make it to step #8 this challenge. Here's hoping! And here's to Challenge Number Three!

• Like 2

--

Current Challenge: I'm Back, Baby!

Current Daily Battle Log: Dyego Exorcises Exercise!

--

Previous Challenges: #1 | #2 | #3 | #4

First day down! No sugar (other than what is found in V8 juice and a bag of mixed vegetables) and I ate amazingly well, in addition to starting my Walk to Mordor. Going to do some more meal planning! Woot!

Epic Quest 1, doing awesome! Quest 2 and 3, no progress today. Going to try tomorrow.

• Like 1

--

--

Today's progress: ate eggs and almond butter + celery for breakfast. Starting to have the sugar withdrawals already, but I'm going to work past them. I have written 159 words today, and at the moment that's all I think I can handle. I'll try again later.

• Like 1

--

--

Today I used my 20 seconds of courage to avoid eating sugar. Woot! I also walked a bit, but I don't have my fitbit at hand and can't quantify it just yet. In the morning I will do. So far, so good, but still having the sugar-craving headaches :(

• Like 1

--

--

Hey Dyego! Sounds like things are going pretty well. Keep in mind that when people drastically cut carbs from their diet they tend to experience the "carb flu." You may feel a bit fuzzy and unfocused and have trouble keeping up with your regular tasks, so cut yourself some slack and just focus on sticking with the no-sugar rule. Remember that if you give up now, you just have to suffer through this again later. 

Make extra sure to stay hydrated and keep your electrolytes up while you're feeling wonky. Plenty of water and salt help to ease the low-carb transition. Good luck and stay with it! 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

Make extra sure to stay hydrated and keep your electrolytes up while you're feeling wonky. Plenty of water and salt help to ease the low-carb transition. Good luck and stay with it! 

THANK you for reminding me about electrolytes! I always keep hydrated (it's flippin' Phoenix, after all, one has to be hydrated) but after I added salt and some other electrolytes, I perked right up. Thanks again!

Today: 5 minutes of Yoga, no sugar (again! woot!) and absolutely no progress on any other goal because I'm still down from Carb Flu haha. Work was all I could manage today

• Like 1

--

--

Hooray! I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and that electrolytes helped out. I also am guilty of hydrating while neglecting my electrolytes, so it was a good reminder for both of us. ;) 

You're doing great with your goals! You can totally still make 7000 words this week, you'll just have to do a little catch up later. You've basically got four weeks to get through four game design steps so I'm sure you can knock that one out of the ballpark, too. Keep it up!!

• Like 1

I am using the name of my current challenge as a battle cry, it appears. But instead of "screw it, my diet's ruined, I'm just going to eat anything..." kind of screw it...I'm using it as a motivation.

So today, I said: "Screw it, I don't care if I don't feel good, I'm going for a walk." Boom, 10 minutes of walking.

And then afterwards, I said: "Screw it, I don't care if I have a headache, I'm going to write." Boom, 388 words.

So I get to update my quests with good news.

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy

Do your new diet

Three days down, doing good. Got the carb flu a bit, but hanging in there.

2/3 accomplished!

Epic Quest #2: Hands of the Scribe, Words of the Bard

Total Words Written (This Week): 547

Words Need for This Week's Goal: 6,453

---------------------------------------------------------------

Total Words Written This Challenge: 547

• Like 1

--

--

More good news! Did some weight-lifting today, as outlined in my battle log. My shoulder is sore from sleeping on it wrong, so I didn't feel safe pushing it, but I still exercised. Woot! The carb flu / sugar withdrawals hit me hard today, but I fought back, had a bunch of electrolytes, and am making it through.

Do your new diet

Still no added sugar. I've added some more beans to my diet, and had some black bean / flax / corn chips with salsa, but I limited my portions to about a 1/5 of what I usually eat. Getting hammered hard, but that just means it's working. I am crushing this.

3/3 accomplished!!

Dealing with the effects of my diet has made me fuzzy and unable to truly write, but I've written every day regardless. It's small bits, here and there, but it's progress. I may not meet my goal this week, but screw it! I'm going to keep writing anyway.

Total Words Added Today: 271

Total Words Written (This Week): 818

Words Need for This Week's Goal: 6,182

Total Words Written This Challenge: 818

Epic Quest #3: Summoner of Worlds (Or: Designing and Publishing my Boardgames / Videogames)

I arranged for the Second Draft Playtest to occur this Saturday. Woot!

Current State: Second Draft Playtest

• Like 1

--

--

My weekly recap! I did not achieve my creative goals, but man did I CRUSH my fitness / health goals!

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing weight. End Goal: 230. Current Weight: 267)

WEEKLY WEIGH-IN: 259.3

(I lost 8 pounds!!)

Progress: NAILED IT!

I kept to my new way of life. I have been Sogar (sober from sugar) for seven days now. The only added sugar I've had was less than a gram a serving in my various almond / cashew butters. It was absolutely rough dealing with sugar withdrawals and carb flu, but I pushed through it. I still crave them here and there, but I've been using my 20 seconds of courage every day to push back against them and I'm doing fabulous. I cannot wait for this coming week! I get to make Kung Pao Chicken, one of my all-time best and favorite dishes. Yeee!

Progress: 5/3 Accomplished, OVER-ACHIEVER! I am loving the new colder weather. I added more walking on Friday and twenty minutes of exercise yesterday to bring me up to 5 times this week. Woo-hoo!!

Epic Quest #2: Hands of the Scribe, Words of the Bard (Or: Writing and publishing my next novel by the end of 2017)

Write 7,000 words a week

I took it easy on the creative challenges this week because I was dealing with a lot of changes in my diet and honestly, just making it through work was hard enough. But I still managed to write a little, which is more than enough for now. This coming week I plan to up the amount written, despite a heavier work load, and I'm going to crush this one next. Time to reset the word count.

Total Words Added Today: 0

Total Words Written (This Week): 0

Words Need for This Week's Goal: 7,000

Total Words Written This Challenge: 818

The boardgame playtest did not occur yesterday, as both parties (me and the other) were unable to make it. However, I did work on the art and thought about the rules a lot in my head, which counts! This week will be better.

All in all, this was an amazing week and I feel amazing. I am loving my new way of life, lost eight pounds, and haven't felt this awesome in a long time. I still get the carb flu and sugar cravings in minor form, but they're easier to deal with. I am so excited!

• Like 1

--

--

I love checking in on your challenge because you're so inspiring. Such success! Sounds like you had a really fantastic first week. Your writing and game plan fell to the side a little, but you didn't neglect either, and you're well-prepared to make up the difference in the coming weeks. 

Keep it up, Dyego! You're doing great!!

Well, thank you @Wobbegong!! It has been my best challenge by a long shot. Third time's the charm, right? This week has been going just as strong as last. The momentum is up and I'm going to keep riding.

Do your new diet

There is a gaster, and I have flabbered it. I am absolutely stunned by how well the diet is going this time. I've done semi-okay on the south beach before, but since I've been systematically lowering my sugar for the last few years anyway, I've been able to keep to it. My veggie intake is better, my carbs are down, my sugars are rock-bottom, and my fat/protein is amazing.

1/3 accomplished

I'm pretty much over the carb flu and sugar withdrawals, so today I crushed this! I wrote more today than I did all last week. Holla! (I...I can't really pull off a 'holla.' My bad)

Total Words Added Today: 1008

Total Words Written (This Week): 1,008

Words Need for This Week's Goal: 5,992

Total Words Written This Challenge: 1,826

The second playtest has been rescheduled for Wednesday. We both should be able to make it this time. Reformatted the rules to be actually readable by somebody who isn't me! That's good, right?

Current State: Second Draft Playtest

• Like 1

--

--

Update on yesterday: Did my exercise, but it was a long, rough day at work so I broke down and had carbs and sugar. In my defense, the carbs were in a gluten-free english muffin absolutely drowning in Kerrygold and cashew butter, and the sugar came in the form of figs...stuffed with goat cheese and wrapped in bacon. So even on my bad, breaking-down day I still did better than I used to by a long shot.

No writing, though, but I'm okay with that. I can catch up today and tomorrow.

Will be updating my battle log to cover the exercise done yesterday. I'm trekking to Mordor, slowly by surely!

--

--

My 2nd week recap. Some progress on all goals, so quite happy with it.

WEEKLY WEIGH-IN: 256.7

(I lost 2.6 pounds)

Progress: NAILED IT!

Still keeping to the diet! I cheated a little and had Chinese food yesterday, but I avoided all rice and (because of necessity) had the gluten-free options. It was delicious. Otherwise, all week has been good veg, good fat/protein, minimal carbs. The cravings are pretty much gone and I love it.

Progress: 3/3 Accomplished. Work has been kicking my butt, but I've been walking. I haven't updated my battle log for it just yet, but I'll get to that next.

Write 7,000 words a week

I had one epic writing day this week...and that was it. Christmas time at retail tends to suck the life out of you. I have a couple of days off next week, so I'll give it another go. I still wrote more than the first week, so progress!

Total Words Written (This Week): 1,008

Words Need for This Week's Goal: 5,992

Total Words Written This Challenge: 1,826

Playtest occurred! Things are going very well, actually, as the rules seem to be holding up to all sorts of scrutiny. There only needs to be some minor changes made for Revision #2, and then it'll be on to Step 8, the scary one. It means I really need to make the rules nice and readable (they sort of are, but need to be better.) I may schedule another playtest between now and the Watchover, just to nail down a few more ideas. I'll see as the revision work begins.

1. Design Document
  2. Mechanics Overview
  4. Revision #1
  5. Second Draft Playtest
  6. Revision #2
  8. Watchover Playtest (When you watch a group play your game with your rules but do not participate)
  9. Revision #3
  10. Exported Playtest (When you send the game to a group who playtest it without you watching, and they report back)
  11. Revision #4
  12. Rules Finilization
  13. Art Finilization
  14. Publish!

---------------------------------------

This was a good "holding steady" week. I was able to keep to my diet and make decisions so that, even though a meal I had wasn't quite "on-diet", I didn't make it worse by adding a bunch of carbs. That was a very good step in my book, as in the past I tended to "screw it, I'm eating bad might as well go the whole way." This time it was "screw it, I'm eating bad, I'm not going to eat really bad!" I got some writing and boardgame creation in, so it was a good week. On to week 3!

--

--

Weekly weigh-in: 257.1 Holding within a very reasonable margin of error of last week's weigh-in, so that's good. I was unfortunate in that my flu and bronchitis did NOT lower my appetite...I ate like a pig. Way more carbs than the last two weeks, and even had sugar a few times. Still managed to keep my weight down, though! So yay!

Absolutely no progress whatsoever on my other projects. I could barely sit up straight, let alone write or design.

--

--

The final report! The last two weeks were marred by flu/bronchitis/back injuries, but I still did my best.

Epic Quest #1: The Search For Spock Sexy (Or: Losing weight. End Goal: 230. Current Weight: 257)

Nailed this one. I stayed below 260 the entire time once I dropped below it. My diet has improved considerably. I added some carbs and sugars back to my diet, but I've been keeping them very well monitored. I haven't binged on anything, either carbs or sugar-wise, since I started. The cravings to do so are still there, but they are weaker and easier to ignore. I am doing pretty darn good with this, and looking forward to a future of this diet. Already doing more recipe planning and getting excited about what I can still eat and make amazing on this diet.

Well, the first two weeks were great. Then came the flu. Then the bronchitis. And then the twisted back (from coughing and sneezing too much). The good news? I actually missed exercise. My lightsaber just arrived yesterday, so once my back is feeling better it's time for some dueling with my wife! And it's nice and cold, so long walks are again an option. I love winter.

Write 7,000 words a week

This one...was not a good result. I never once got even close to the goal. I think, perhaps, that I was weighed down by my seasonal retail job, which really drained the life outta me, but truth be told it's still just really hard for me to write. Now that I can sit up again, I think I'll be trying this again. I may need to lower my goals yet again just so I can get in the habit. Perhaps 700 words a week?

I jumped up three rungs on this one and am going to finish the fourth this very day, since I scheduled a Watchover Playtest this very evening. Woot! I may just have a published boardgame in the next few months. How awesome is that to add to my list? Artist, Author, Game Maker!

1. Design Document
  2. Mechanics Overview
  4. Revision #1
  5. Second Draft Playtest
  6. Revision #2
  9. Revision #3
  11. Revision #4
  12. Rules Finilization
  13. Art Finilization
  14. Publish!

---------------------------------------

I'm probably going to try making the next challenge as well, not skipping. It can be difficult, but I liked just throwing myself into this challenge. I came away very surprised at what I was able to accomplish, while also recognizing areas of improvement. Life is always a learning experience, right??

See you next challenge!

• Like 1

--

--

And! The Watchover Playtest went off without a hitch! Got a LOT of valuable feedback, to the point where I'm going to have to revise my goal structure (for next challenge!) to include one or two more Watchover Playtests. But, still accomplished a lot!

I jumped up three rungs on this one and am going to finish the fourth this very day, since I scheduled a Watchover Playtest this very evening. Woot! I may just have a published boardgame in the next few months. How awesome is that to add to my list? Artist, Author, Game Maker!

1. Design Document
  2. Mechanics Overview
  4. Revision #1
  5. Second Draft Playtest
  6. Revision #2
  9. Revision #3
  10. Watchover Playtest #2
  11. Revision #4
  12. Watchover Playtest #3
  13. Revision #5
  14. Exported Playtest (When you send the game to a group who playtest it without you watching, and they report back)
  15. Revision #6
  16. Rules Finalization
  17. Art Finalization
  18. Final Playtest #1
  19. Revision #7
  20. Final Playtest #2
  21. Revision #8
  22. Publish!
  • Like 1

--

--