Tei is a solitary Assassin, wandering lost on the prairie

tei_

7 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

Headspace is great! I use it every day. I'm thinking of switching to Calm in the spring when my subscription runs out, just as an experiment/change of pace. Did you know Andy (the Headspace Guy) has a degree in circus arts?

YES haha I looked him up! He seems really cool! Also, I'm really inspired by your meditation streak, i think I want to do something like that-- at least a few months.

Day 5:

FINISHED NANOWRIMO WOOOOOOOO

Headspace, stretching both done.

Not eating breakfast is definitely the way to go for me. I still have coffee or tea with lots of milk, so I'm not doing IF or anything, but my mornings just go smoother when they're not bogged down by breakfast and it helps me control my calories in a bit without counting, which I am in need of RN, so yeah. Meals and internet usage both went better today!

Went to gymnastics and didn't get a whole lot done, but did do strap bar giants and they're starting to feel better! Actually right before this turn I was swinging by myself and my coach said he though I could have gotten over (with the implied condition of, if I weren't such a weenie :P)

I can't go to gymnastics next week and that's the last week of this session... I'm going to be in Calgary the week after next, and unfortunately Kyle Shewfelt's gym is closed that week (I REALLY WANNA GO THERE SOMETIME THO), but I messaged the other gym there to see if their drop-ins are happening. Then I'm going to be in Kitchener for Christmas and New Years', and will ask my gymnastics people there if there's anything going on then but I doubt it. So it might be a real long time before I see a gymnastics club again :(

• Like 2

Halfling Assassin

Current challenge:  Tei un-schedules 

Previous challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12,  13, 14, 15 

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs. We have a protractor." -- Fraa Erasmas

GREAT JOB ON NANO

GREAT JOB ON THAT GYMNASTICS VIDEO WHICH IS SUPER IMPRESSIVE TO ME

also this showed up in my Chrome thumbnails since apparently you were the last NF URL I clicked on:

PYm74bu.png

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Congrats on killing NaNoWriMo!!!

Also yay strap bar giants!!! We got one put up more permanently in our gym (it used to have to be swapped in and out with the men's high bar) but I haven't touched it since then. I bruise easily so my wrists always look like I escaped from some like bondage basement after a few gos on it. At least it is long-sleeved season now?

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

3 hours ago, RogueLibrarian said:

GREAT JOB ON NANO

GREAT JOB ON THAT GYMNASTICS VIDEO WHICH IS SUPER IMPRESSIVE TO ME

also this showed up in my Chrome thumbnails since apparently you were the last NF URL I clicked on:

PYm74bu.png

Thank you!

Somehow I always end up as the solitary ass????

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Congrats on killing NaNoWriMo!!!

Also yay strap bar giants!!! We got one put up more permanently in our gym (it used to have to be swapped in and out with the men's high bar) but I haven't touched it since then. I bruise easily so my wrists always look like I escaped from some like bondage basement after a few gos on it. At least it is long-sleeved season now?

Me toooo I actually bought these after attempting to use normal straps left my thumbs numb for two days and giant scabs on both my wrists :P  Now it still hurts but at least it's my cardio and not my wrists that are the limiting factor. (Swinging is the weirdest cardio ever. But without fail I always end up doubled over the bar panting trying to get my hands free after every turn.)

Halfling Assassin

"Our opponent is an alien starship packed with atomic bombs. We have a protractor." -- Fraa Erasmas

1 hour ago, tei_ said:

Somehow I always end up as the solitary ass????

It's the human condition. In the end, we're all the solitary ass.

• Sad 1

"We can be heroes"

Level 13 Assassin | climbing | meditating | running | writing | bodyweight training | kickboxing | Backyard gym project

Current Challenge39 | 38 | 37 | 36 | 35 | 34 | 33 | 32 | 31 | 30 | 29 | 28 | 27 | 26 | 25 | 24 | 23 | 22 | 21 | 20 | 19 | 18 | 1716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Day 6:

Meals: Decent... 80%, points deducted for afternoon snack when I was hungry too close to dinnertime.

Internet: Wayyyy too much internet. I was really tired today and couldn't drag my butt out of the chair for a while once I was home from work and finished all my to-dos. However I did eventually, and I went to the library to get some BOOKS, which I hear are better things to put in your brain. (If anyone cares: I'm almost done Kitchen Confidential, which was silly but entertaining, and I got When Breath Becomes Air, a sports psychology book, and a book about Bach.)

Headspace, stretching: done. I tried to do a full stretch+ warm up-type thing in my room before going to the cheer gym tonight, and discovered that there is not enough room to kick into a handstand in here. I can do wall handstands and presses, though. (I seem to be able to do one press per day, and no more, at this point.)

Cheer gym, horrifying as usual. The girl who is usually "coaching," by which I mean ignoring all of the children inches from death and gossiping, was one step further tonight and was actually just stunting and practicing routines with her teammates. Parents coaching/spotting their children, literally not a single skill performed safely let alone attractively, all the normal cheerleading stuff. On the bright side, I didn't even bother bringing any cash and nobody asked me for any, which I feel no guilt about, since I figure I'm doing THEM a favour by demonstrating to their athletes what it looks like when you train skills at a level that is safe for you ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Christmas pops tomorrow... went to the dollar store and bought some ornaments to hang off of my bassoon in the concert.

• Like 2

Halfling Assassin

18 hours ago, raptron said:

Also yay strap bar giants!!!

I read that as strip bar giants and was like wait, what? :D

• Haha 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I read that as strip bar giants and was like wait, what? :D

When we call it "adult gymnastics," we aren't joking! ;)

• Haha 2

Halfling Assassin

Just got back from playing a Christmas show. It was TOO SOON. I have this one British colleague who manages to embody the British quality of being simultaneously able to hate everything, and also be incredibly cheerful about hating everything, and watching his face while we play Christmas schlock gives me life. #scrooge

Tomorrow we are playing in Moose Jaw, home of the Moose Jaw Meteorites Quidditch team.

Headspace, stretching: done. Aside, it actually MAKES A DIFFERENCE when i stretch regularly because this week my back walkovers were feeling pretty good and continued feeling pretty good when I put them on the floor beam. I was too scared to put them on real beam tho. Back walkovers on beam is the only skill that I used to be able to do as a kid that I can't do now-- on all other events, I'm way ahead of where I left off.

Internet: 80%.

Meals: OK. I just feel like... I'm eating too much? Like, not by an enormous margin, but I'm not super busy and just being around the house more leads to overeating. I'm wondering if I want to start tracking again. IDK.

• Like 2

Halfling Assassin

Day 8:

Headspace, stretching: done. Tomorrow is the last day of the free headspace, I haven't decided if I'm going to buy it yet. I've been wanting to give Kit Laughlin's lying meditations a try, but they're significantly longer than, er, the three minutes Headspace demands of me :P

Screen time: I am struggling with this one, not gonna lie.

Meals: Tracked today, and was happy with my food. Hmm.

Played a show in Moose Jaw, had a good time on the bus with my wacky+ wonderful colleagues :D

• Like 3

Halfling Assassin

Bahahah, bassoon ornaments! Yesss! 

Back walkovers on beam are scary, but once you start doing them and getting your hands on, you'll feel super comfortable throwing them whenever! Go, go stretching though! I feel like it's all the more important in the winter when it is cold and our joints get all scared and protective. 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

12 hours ago, raptron said:

Back walkovers on beam are scary, but once you start doing them and getting your hands on, you'll feel super comfortable throwing them whenever! Go, go stretching though! I feel like it's all the more important in the winter when it is cold and our joints get all scared and protective. 

It's weird-- beam was my best event as a kid and I could do front and back walkovers on it pretty easily. Because all I needed to do that was some balls and a willingness to bend in half at the lumbar spine, which I had, whereas I lacked the stuff like strength and coordination and ability to apply corrections that the other events required. And now that I want to be able to do them and also keep being able to use my body properly for the rest of my life, they're the only skills I haven't gotten back/surpassed. I think I just gotta ask to be spotted a few times!

Day 9:

Headspace: Done, and the last free day. The question of whether to buy was solved by the realization that the $11/month price is only if you pay in full for the year, and I don't have $130 for meditation in the budget for this month. Sooo I am going to give the lying relaxation scripts a go-- I'll have to build in more time for them.

Stretching-- done, at the gym. Continuing my Kit Laughlin kick, I've been incorporating contractions into the end of my ROM when stretching and !!! does that stuff ever work!

Squatted 135 for 5,4,4,4,4 today. The very last rep the knee thing happened pretty bad-- I've been working on my collapsing knee, the really annoying thing is it's ONLY my right knee that does it. Gah!

Food: Keeping on tracking, and happy with it.

Screen time: Did pretty well today! Lingered a bit over the computer tonight but that was to buy plane tickets back from Christmas break and update my YNAB, so, yay.

• Like 2

Halfling Assassin

Day 10:

Meditation: Did the shortest of the lying relaxations, and it was good! The rest are longer (25 min as opposed to 18) and a part of me is doubtful about lying on the floor breathing for that long. Um, any other recs for free guided meditation would be welcome!

Stretching: Yep.

Meals: Tracked.

Screen time: 60%. Not as good as yesterday. Staying off the internet in the morning, even if I have time to check stuff and still practice before work, is key.

I have rehearsals and concerts every single evening this week, so I'm gonna have to miss Thursday gymnastics and Friday tumbling. I might be able to go to Saturday tumbling if I rush over in between rehearsal and concert, but IDK about that :/

Halfling Assassin

9 hours ago, tei_ said:

I have rehearsals and concerts every single evening this week, so I'm gonna have to miss Thursday gymnastics and Friday tumbling. I might be able to go to Saturday tumbling if I rush over in between rehearsal and concert, but IDK about that :/

Ehh, I'd bet it'd be stressful to rush between the two! Sounds like a super busy season (and I am not surprised)! 

Raptron, alot assassin

9 hours ago, raptron said:

Ehh, I'd bet it'd be stressful to rush between the two! Sounds like a super busy season (and I am not surprised)! 

yeah, I'll see how I feel.

GUYS GUYS (and particularly raptron since I found out about NP through you in the first place): TURNS OUT THERE'S A NOVEMBER PROJECT HERE!!! I just assumed there wasn't, because there's nothing else fun. Also possibly missed it because the group is called "November Project Queen City," which is... not the actual name of the city? (Is it because Americans laugh at "Regina"? As my colleague would say, sod off.) Anyway it's on Wednesday, so missed it today, but NEXT WEEK!

• Like 1

Halfling Assassin

Omg yay!

Raptron, alot assassin

Day 11:

Stretching, at the gym.

Meditation: Lol, I got home from work tonight and found myself thinking, "yikes! It's too late to do one of those 1/2 hour scripts, and headspace is run out... what am I going to do???" and then remembered that... meditation itself is free... and requires no equipment or scripts... so I sat in a chair and meditated for five minutes and it worked JUST FINE.

Food: Tracked.

Screen time: Okay except for procrastinating on going to the gym :/ IT WAS COLD TODAYYY. Whine whine.

• Like 1

Halfling Assassin

So in a moment of weakness, I went to a free trial at a crossfit place today. I felt like... maybe what i want is to be in a cult! Unfortunately, it was super fucking lame. Oh well. 

Stretching and meditation: Not done! But it is late... and I want to go to sleep... I will meditate before practicing tomorrow, in the morning, so I get it done.

Meals good, screen time good.

• Like 2

Halfling Assassin

On 12/6/2017 at 7:04 PM, tei_ said:

(Is it because Americans laugh at "Regina"? As my colleague would say, sod off.)

I'd say probably not, but then I live on a Regina Drive, soooooo... Glad you could find one nearby! I had to laugh at the "meditation itself is free." It's funny how we fall into habits and forget that the basic thing itself is an option. :) What was lame about the crossfit place? Those people tend to scare me...

Manarelle the Level 56 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

3 hours ago, Manarelle said:

What was lame about the crossfit place? Those people tend to scare me...

So we did the WOD first, which was a bunch of rounds of rowing, light deadlifts (sets of 12), hang cleans, and power jerks. The latter two aren't something I do regularly, and I said so, so she very briefly showed me how-- like, 30 seconds-- and was like "yeah, you've got it!" when I was still bashing the bar into my face on the jerk. It just so happens that I don't mind doing something new without much instruction 'cuz I'm dumb like that, but like... she didn't have any idea what kind of a level I was at? I got the strong feeling that if I had walked in never having touched a barbell before, I would have gotten the exact same level of instruction.

So we did a bunch of rounds of the circuit, with quite a lot of rest in between, and I did honestly do as many of each as I could safely do. And after I was tired, sure, but not THAT tired. Not tired enough to lie down on the floor and make loud groaning noises, which is what every single other person in the class did. It seemed almost like a ritual-- the instructor was like "THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO SEE!" and it seemed like showing off how tired you were after the workout was some sort of bizarre competitive thing. (Which made me uncomfortable because in gymnastics and also in orchestral music, which is my job, you're constantly working to make it seem like what you just did was easy for you and NOT show anyone if you're struggling...)

My other feeling about the WOD was that i could probably do that, or something similar, every day or several times a week and not get any stronger or better at anything.

Then at the end we did something called "ROMWOD", which stands for "range of motion workout of the day" lolololol IT'S STRETCHING, OKAY GUYS, YOU CAN JUST CALL IT STRETCHING. It was a video where we were led through 1. one-minute triceps stretch, 2. one-minute lunge, 3. two minutes of downward dog, and 4. three minutes of a pike stretch. And the length of the stretch seemed to be another opportunity for everyone to show off how much they were suffering.

Soooo yeah. The people seemed nice enough, but overall it did not seem worth the ludicrous amount of money that crossfit costs!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Halfling Assassin

Day... 13? Um I'll go with that

Stretching done, meditation not done WHOOPS edit: yo I totally forgot, I did do it!

Food tracked

Screen time, still struggling :(

Not going to go to tumbling tomorrow, because there's actually something stressful on the concert in the evening and I discovered that doing cardio the day of a concert helps keep excess adrenaline during the show in check, so I'll be doing some pre-concert erging and elliptical as per usual.

• Like 1

Halfling Assassin

Good luck with the concert!

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Cardio is *totally* a stress burner. Good plan. :)

• Like 1

"We can be heroes"

On 12/8/2017 at 11:56 AM, tei_ said:

So we did the WOD first, which was a bunch of rounds of rowing, light deadlifts (sets of 12), hang cleans, and power jerks. The latter two aren't something I do regularly, and I said so, so she very briefly showed me how-- like, 30 seconds-- and was like "yeah, you've got it!" when I was still bashing the bar into my face on the jerk. It just so happens that I don't mind doing something new without much instruction 'cuz I'm dumb like that, but like... she didn't have any idea what kind of a level I was at? I got the strong feeling that if I had walked in never having touched a barbell before, I would have gotten the exact same level of instruction.

So we did a bunch of rounds of the circuit, with quite a lot of rest in between, and I did honestly do as many of each as I could safely do. And after I was tired, sure, but not THAT tired. Not tired enough to lie down on the floor and make loud groaning noises, which is what every single other person in the class did. It seemed almost like a ritual-- the instructor was like "THAT'S WHAT I LIKE TO SEE!" and it seemed like showing off how tired you were after the workout was some sort of bizarre competitive thing. (Which made me uncomfortable because in gymnastics and also in orchestral music, which is my job, you're constantly working to make it seem like what you just did was easy for you and NOT show anyone if you're struggling...)

My other feeling about the WOD was that i could probably do that, or something similar, every day or several times a week and not get any stronger or better at anything.

Then at the end we did something called "ROMWOD", which stands for "range of motion workout of the day" lolololol IT'S STRETCHING, OKAY GUYS, YOU CAN JUST CALL IT STRETCHING. It was a video where we were led through 1. one-minute triceps stretch, 2. one-minute lunge, 3. two minutes of downward dog, and 4. three minutes of a pike stretch. And the length of the stretch seemed to be another opportunity for everyone to show off how much they were suffering.

Soooo yeah. The people seemed nice enough, but overall it did not seem worth the ludicrous amount of money that crossfit costs!

HAHAHA. A fantastic illustration of why CrossFitters can be insufferable. (Disclaimer: I like CrossFit. I both competed and coached.)

Spoiler

CrossFit makes money from the general population; the ones who liked HIIT and Insanity in the early 2000s, the ones who like "Boot Camp" workouts and talking about how much that workout "sucked," the ones who enjoyed talking about their soreness and how they can't walk after "leg day" (and in CF every day is leg day); they just gave these folks barbells. I have no idea if this shaped CrossFit by giving the consumers what they wanted, or if this is what CrossFit was originally catering to and the consumers were drawn to it, but they have created an entire subculture with its own dialect and uniforms (e.g. booty shorts, neon shoes, comb-overs). Suffering is part of it, as "intensity" is given particular importance in the Level 1 manual, as this is probably the only physical endeavor a lot of them participate in, so they might as well go all-out--a stark contrast with athletes who are training for something. It's funny that you mentioned that, as I'm training a gymnast who for the longest time gave me no feedback. She kept a blank face on her 5th minute of a Hollow Body Hold, and I had to closely watch for trembling and form breakdown. Her mother would have to inform me that she can't walk up stairs. I've been better about that by constantly asking though. Apparently her old coach was from the Soviet team.

This is the type of attitude that I'm still having trouble coming to terms with, because it makes me feel like a sell-out when I pander to consumer desires. Do I give them what they want or what they need? Even when I went to the CrossFit Gymnastics seminar the main lesson I got was was "stop trying to mindlessly suffer and work on your skills."

• Like 2