The Post-Op Op [Chris-Tien]

Chris-Tien Jinn

Long story short.  Back in May, a cracked molar became abscessed, was pulled, and is now being replaced by an implant.  I should do a Bionic Woman challenge for next year.  

But that’s meant that I’ve been losing a week here and there.  Add the usual crud that goes around this time of year, and I’ve been having more “off” weeks than “on” weeks lately. However, with the infection gone and the screw firmly planted in my lower jaw, I am feeling much more energetic (funny how having a chronic infection cleared up will have that effect!), and I want to get “in” on the last challenge of the calendar year.  It’s back to basics time, I’m afraid, but I’ll try to be amusing throughout.  

1) Run, run, run, and run some more.  The GOAL for the challenge is to run the Jingle Bell 5K and stay on schedule for the ½ marathon in May … and maybe for an OCR next summer.  

Because I like to run.  Only other runners will understand.

afe207412b2b05ae50d3926a4039b7ea.jpg

2)  LIFT, DAMMIT!!!!!  GOAL: to be able to do the NF Academy Level 4 Gym workout --- all sets and reps.

Because …. Maybe an OCR next summer.  And because it is good for me and will help me be able to keep up with grand kids.  Someday.  Maybe.  (Current grandchild has four paws and makes a great running partner.)

3) Cut out 250.  Calories.  Per day.  GOAL: to record daily what SMALL changes and swaps I made.  

I’m not going to count calories … just work at finding the consumption that isn’t contributing to my health, workouts, or enjoyment.  Yeap, you read that right, I am not demonizing eating “fun” foods, but I aim to be conscious of the times when I eat foods other than for fuel, and adjust what I really don’t find all that valuable.

We just had Thanksgiving here in the USA, and we did NOT have turkey.  Or sweet dressing.  Or two kinds of pie.  Or gravy and mashed potatoes.  Or a ton of appetizers (at least, I didn’t) during the football game.  Hubby and I (and our neighbors - who had us over for dinner yesterday - and our daughter and son-in-law) sat down and asked the question : Do we really enjoy the traditional meal.  The answer was a universal “NO!”  So we changed it up.  

I am using a book (Mini Habits for Weight Loss by Steven Guise) as a guide for establishing new habits and strategies.    I know that Steve has written a bunch of good articles on the subject too.  

4) Meditate.  GOAL: 20 Minutes every day.  Time to streak!!!

5) Finish my micro-biology simulation for research.  Symbulation (stage one) is almost done, and I think I can polish it off before Christmas.  

• Like 6

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Yay Chris-Tien is  back! So what did you have for Thanksgiving. I like the traditional meal, but I also wouldn't mind changing it up. I thought it was just going to be me , my son, and hubby for dinner and I asked them if they would rather have steak and they said no.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

19 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Elastigirl, I would love to have a steak instead.

I figure my guys would leap at that chance. I think it was all the fixing that go with it that they really wanted.

• Like 2

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yay Chris-Tien is  back! So what did you have for Thanksgiving. I like the traditional meal, but I also wouldn't mind changing it up. I thought it was just going to be me , my son, and hubby for dinner and I asked them if they would rather have steak and they said no.

You're close.  We ate with the next door neighbors and one of their sets of parents (and siblings and kids).  And they switched it up to be Beef Wellington!  My gosh, it was delicious.  There were mashed potatoes, but I skipped them.  Had a LOT of salad, one biscuit, a little green bean casserole, and a small slice of apple pie (we brought both apple and pumpkin cuz it was a pretty big gathering).   

My daughter and son-in-law are eating with us here today, and we're doing a pork loin in the crock pot with sherry-plum sauce. Sweet potatoes.  And they brought a pumpkin pie.

I actually so grateful that we don't have a ton of leftovers to use or toss.  Hubby just cannot resist snacking out of the fridge late at night.  

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

3 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

You're close.  We ate with the next door neighbors and one of their sets of parents (and siblings and kids).  And they switched it up to be Beef Wellington!  My gosh, it was delicious.  There were mashed potatoes, but I skipped them.  Had a LOT of salad, one biscuit, a little green bean casserole, and a small slice of apple pie (we brought both apple and pumpkin cuz it was a pretty big gathering).   

My daughter and son-in-law are eating with us here today, and we're doing a pork loin in the crock pot with sherry-plum sauce. Sweet potatoes.  And they brought a pumpkin pie.

I actually so grateful that we don't have a ton of leftovers to use or toss.  Hubby just cannot resist snacking out of the fridge late at night.  

We had leftover pumpkin pie, but I sent it with my son. ANd some leftover gluten free stuffing, but I just made a small thing, and it's gone now. Funny, it's not like I crave stuffing, but on Thanksgiving I really want it, so I made some GF.

• Like 1

Welcome back.

Thanksgiving is a day I don't worry about protien. I am all about the sides. I prefer ham over turkey, but what I'm putting on my plate is stuffing, anything labeled casserole (My family is full of awesome cooks), maybe a roll or two, and pies. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

I'm loving the back to basics theme of your challenge. It seems like a lot of us are going back to nailing the basics this time around. 

Following!

• Like 1

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

Let's get off to a good start!!!!!

REF_PodStartTowerWide.jpg

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

Ok, W1D1 .....

Wow!!!  My daughter, son-in-law, and Cache the Wonder Dog left to go home after the holidays and .....

c39c81ca8486fd5a4d79abfee356266307e8ead6

But our cat still does not believe that the dog is gone and is still hiding upstairs.  Maybe things will be more normal tomorrow.

Status Update!!!

Workouts: tomorrow.  Seriously.  First thing in the morning before I shop for supper ingredients.

Cutting out the low-return calories:  

• Instead of slathering on 1 TBSP or more of margarine, I put just a taste on my waffles.  And had eggs for protein.
  • Didn't eat out for lunch or dinner.  That's become a bad habit on weekends.

Meditation: check

Finish programming simulation: I uploaded my current files.  There are a  few more things to do, but I want to get the code up for review by the team this week.  

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

W1D2 was kinda a mixed bag.

Ran 1.1 miles slowly, just to ease back into running after the race.

I did the Boss Fight to transition to NF Academy Gym workout 4.  A summer of archery and gardening had maintained my strength base pretty well.  But now, it's on to deadlifts and such ....

Meditation - check!!!

Food .... um ..... ergh.

killer+kitty.jpg

Kitty (still recovering from the THERE IS A DOG IN THE HOUSE trauma) distracted me enough that instead of cornstarch, I grabbed baking powder as I was making Mongolian Beef.  When the sauce started BUBBLING and foaming, I realized what I'd done.  But was too late to save the dish, other than dumping the sauce and thoroughly rinsing the beef off.  By then, it was too late to run to the store and have dinner ready in time for supper.  So, we ate out.  I looked at the calories for each dish at Perkins (hubby's choice) and picked something lower in calories than most of the menu, but it still was not a big success.

Software Development

More code.  More upload.  

1*PMwOFcv5vuIsMHAWSQZWQw.gif

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

8 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

I looked at the calories for each dish at Perkins (hubby's choice) and picked something lower in calories than most of the menu, but it still was not a big success.

Sounds like you made the best of a not-ideal situation. You still thought about the food you were putting in your mouth and didn't use it as an excuse to go crazy. Small wins build up to big ones :) 

• Like 2

Rangers Gonna Ranger

Current Challenge: The Adventures of Rhovaniel: Vol I

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25

2021 Quests:

Run 3 Laps of Oblivion| Run and Complete Man vs Lakes | Achieve a full pull up| Achieve 10+ unbroken push ups| Write 90,000+ words of a novel (0/90,000)| Read at least 20 books (4/20)

26 minutes ago, Rhovaniel said:

Sounds like you made the best of a not-ideal situation. You still thought about the food you were putting in your mouth and didn't use it as an excuse to go crazy. Small wins build up to big ones :) 

Yeap.  I made a choice that was about 1000 calories less.  :surprise:  Today, at lunch, I picked a salad that was 100 calories lower than the others on offer.  It's the small, steady choices that should add up in the long run.  

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

Great job at making  good choices. I've done that, but it was to make gravy, so I just had a separate bowl, and couldn't figure why it wouldn't blend.:lol:

• Haha 1

W1D3

Run:  Rest day, but I did get in my 10K steps by walking, mostly

Lift: Gym 4A

Barbell Romanian Deadlift:  Bar only (45lbs): 10, 10, 10

Body weight pushup: 2, 3, switched to chest press 8 reps at 40 lbs)

Single arm dumbbell row:  10lbs: 10, 10, 10

Side planks: 17 sec, 30sec/20 sec

I was surprised at the poor showing on the pushups, but I am switching to chest press and will work up the strength to do proper push ups.  I started the dumbbell rows light deliberately since my left shoulder is still bugging me a bit.  But I'll increase at weight next time since it was pretty easy.

Side planks .... how on earth to track TIME?  My watch display shuts down after 15 seconds.  I can't see the clock from any mat point in the gym.  Maybe switching these for weighted side bends.

Cut out low value foods:   

Breakfast:  2-egg smoked turkey and cheese omlete.  Skipped the carbs and the margarine I usually put on.

Snack: Fiber One protein bar

Lunch: Salad with salsa and chicken

Dinner:  YAY!!!!  Had the Mongolian Beef and squash (with a little margarine).  It didn't suffer for having been subjected to washing and remaking.  

Meditation: check

Programming:  nada.  I'm kinda in limbo on two projects right now.  

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

Although it has felt like Christmas in Minnesota was gonna be more like Christmas in Florida ...

collection-christmas-tree-palm-tree-pict

... we all know that winter weather will arrive, and probably at the worst possible time.  

So, most of today was spent in digging through our winter car kits and first aid kits, throwing away things that are expired, leaking or leaked ON.  Then, I went and bought  a plastic bin with a cover to use as an organizer ... so it can easily be moved into whatever car we are taking out into the wilderness that is the Midwest.  And I restocked on a few things, like wind proof matches in a water proof container, and a proper battery operated weather radio (it even can be charged by cranking and by solar .... not that we'd be having solar gain during a blizzard).    And battery powered warning beacons.   In 40 years of driving through Minnesota/Wisconsin/Iowa winters, I've never seriously needed anything other than a jump for  a dead battery, but I like to be prepared.  

29022_main-01.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=500

I'm chipping away at making Christmas presents too.  This year, everyone is getting a knitted earbuds pouch.  And a few of us are getting mittens and/or coffee cozies.  Since hubby and I are going on a Mediterranean cruise in February, we're keeping it simple this year. 

BUT ... onto the fitness stuff.  W1D4!!!

Run: Went off road for a change of pace and ran a mile in the nearby woods.  Slow - because the ground is covered with leaves.  But it was a lovely break in the routine.  Next run is the long run of the week on Friday.  

Weights:  Off day.

Low value foods:  I made the mistake of shopping while hungry and got a piece of fried chicken for lunch.  BUT I only got ONE.  Usually, I get two.  So, that was a good bit of changing habits.  Supper was CHICKEN gyros; so I saved a fair amount by not eating the very rich beef/lamb combo that is traditional.

Meditation:  Check.

Simulation:  Got the notice that my code had been accepted; so it's onward to fixing/checking a bunch of things before implementing the next feature.  

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

W1D5 (November 30)

No hype ... just grinding it out.

Run:  rest day, but I did get in 10K steps

Lift:  it should have been a gym day but ....

wpid-doms.jpg

Food: mixed results.

I did OK until lunch at Rotary.  I was talking to someone else in line and took way too much of the pasta Alfredo.  It wasn't gloppy, but it was still too much.  I didn't finish it, but I still was kicking myself after the meeting.  I recovered during the day, I think, by eating lightly at dinner.  

Meditation: check, although I ground through it with a handicap.

HlveMN4.gif

On the up side, I got a massage at the same time .....

Programming:  

Mostly reading background theory on science education games and simulations.  

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

W1D6 - December 1st

Run:  3.25 miles.  This might have been the last long run outdoors for a while. It's been unseasonably warm and dry ... windy as always .... but temps in the 40s and 50s Fahrenheit are giving way to normal Minnesota winter weather.  And while I don't mind running in the cold, the ice on the sidewalks is just dangerous.  Hubby got a concussion one year from a hidden patch encountered while walking the dog.  

Lift:  Off day except for mountain climbers.  I'm trying to stay ahead of Tank!!!

Food:  The holiday season has started.  Hubby has dubbed me the Designated Chocolate Eater!!!   Mostly, that means that I get the chocolates stuffed in the Advent calendar.  Otherwise, I'm aiming to stay away from traditional sweets etc. until Christmas Eve.  

After my run, I started finishing off the sugared Gatorade that I had purchased for post-op recovery, not knowing how quickly I'd want to eat anything.  It will be time to switch back to the sugar-free stuff for post-run recovery.  

But, I had LESS pizza than normal, and we've started making our own again so that we can use leaner meats and less full-fat cheese.  

Meditation:  check, although I almost forgot with the excitement of the St. Olaf Christmas Festival.  That's my alma mater, and I've managed to make it to many, many festivals since graduation.  Now that we live close to the college, we've been able to go the past three years.  

Software Development:  Nada.  I read a bit on fixing up files, but I spent most of the afternoon in getting the car in for winterizing by the dealer.  

We have yet another unseasonably warm weekend ahead of us, and I'll probably spend the days in the garden.  There's always stuff to do, like prune branches and clean up tools.  This may serve as my strength training for the day.  

LF_Comments.png

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

2 hours ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

Lift:  Off day except for mountain climbers.  I'm trying to stay ahead of Tank!!!

*considers jumping ahead of you for your hubris*

*checks sheet to see how far ahead you are*

*Decides it's not worth it and to let you have it*

:) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Nice job grinding out week 1. I agree on the ice. We don't get much here, but if it is icy, I don't go for walks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Nice job grinding out week 1. I agree on the ice. We don't get much here, but if it is icy, I don't go for walks.

I have Yak Trax for walking, and they work quite well.  Running in bad footing is just a no-no now after too many injuries.  Thankfully, the YMCA does have a nice track.  

Some sort of Jedi .....

I should get some. We had some once, but we lost them. Ice is one of those things that happens maybe once or twice a winter, so I usually just huddle indoors

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Ice is one of those things that happens maybe once or twice a winter

768785.gif

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

37 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Ice is one of those things that happens maybe once or twice a winter,

24 minutes ago, Chris-Tien Jinn said:

768785.gif

We only get ice every 4-6 years down here. Some years we only get a few nights where it even freezes. In rare years it doesn't freeze.

• Like 2

@Tanktimus the Encourager - I don't think I could handle your summers!  I used to travel around the country for work, and summer trips down south were a real challenge.  

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....