Scalyfreak boldly leaves the tutorial stage

Scaly Freak

Update on the cat:

She was being very considerate (and very un-feline-like!) and getting sick just in time for her annual check-up (complete with dental cleaning and renewing her shots). She has shown signs of gradually worsening digestive issues in the past couple of weeks, and since we knew she was going in this morning, we simply took notes and made sure the veterinary nurse who checked us in at the clinic this morning received lots of details about refusals to eat and food coming back up undigested half an hour after eating, and other lovely details.

Her Majesty has been diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which the vet says is common in cats as they grow older, and we went home with a prescription for special food and samples.

As for failing to meet goals these past four, now five, days:

Thursday is supposed to be full rest day, so no weird stuff going on there. Had no sodas, did the morning walk with the Happy Sidekick, and all was well.

Friday... last workday before a long overdue short vacation in the form of a week off work. My body and mind both decided that now that it was safe to relax, they would make sure to let me know just how exhausted they both were (recent insomnia episodes obviously a factor here). Procrastination laughed and Self-Indulgence purred as I gave up any thoughts of going to the gym, uncorked a bottle of wine, and burrowed into the couch with a blanket and Netflix, and very firmly blocked everything work related from my thoughts.

Still managed the walk and the soda abstinence though.

Saturday: Crazy. My better half's sister is married to someone who comes from the US coast we don't live near. At least twice a year they travel over there so his parents can see their grandsons, and this year they decided to do it over Christmas. This has happened before. Just like before, this means the local family decides that they have to celebrate Christmas the week before happy couple and the nephews leave, to make sure we can have Christmas together as a family, without anyone missing. (Don't ask. I don't get it either.) This year, the celebration was scheduled for Sunday 17th. For a number of reasons, Saturday 16th was really the only day left for preparations, like preparing the dishes I'm bringing for the afternoon snack buffet, wrapping gifts, going grocery shopping in preparation for the upcoming week since there really was no food in the house, wrapping all the gifts, and so on. Plus there was an NCAA bowl game I really wanted to see, and a dog to walk, not to mention a gym workout to fit in. 

Failed on the gym thing, but managed to walk the dog in the evening after everything else was done. Avoided soda thanks to not having any nearby.

Sunday: It's Christmas! Sort of. We arrive in time for brunch, which everyone helps making. I contributed by glazing the ham and pouring everyone coffee, then realized that Scalyfreak: The Pre-Coffee Edition is bad for holiday cheer and left the kitchen. Decided to contribute by keeping Toddler Nephew out of the kitchen as well and used him as an excuse to play with duplo blocks. Eventually after brunch was eaten and cleaned away we did gift opening, which is a complicated ritual that takes a couple of hours. Then cooking and eating late lunch while football played in the background. My team lost, which did NOT improve my day. Then cleaning away late lunch, then spent the afternoon watching more football since the entire family is sports fans, and taking turns playing with Toddler Nephew or entertaining Infant Nephew until it was nap time.

And then it's Christmas Dinner. The food was awesome, the wine was great, and after socializing for nearly nine hours straight we finally escaped for home and quiet solitude.

Every year I loathe and dread this event, and every year as we drive home I am happy and have had a good, fun day. 

Obviously no gym workout happened, but I paced for nearly half an hour while carrying a 15-pound baby, when it was my turn to try and put Infant Nephew to sleep, so I count that as a god workout. No sodas, and I also managed to stick to my Warrior Mini Challenge to have a large glass of water after every glass of wine or beer.

Monday up disgustingly early for my day off, so I could drop Her Feline Majesty off for her dental cleaning and shots, and spent the day worrying about her stomach issues. No yoga today, but did get a walk in with the Prescious Sidekick.

This weekend was my holiday craziness for this year. Next weekend will be just me and husband, our gifts to each other, and I will have fun preparing our food. So the crazy busy and stress of forced socializing is over and done. Tomorrow marks a fresh start, with new energy, and hopefully deadlifts.

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

Okay, that is a crazy weekend. I understand doing Christmas not on Christmas. We do that with MIL on new years day and FIL when they can make it down. Sometimes its before Christmas, sometimes its January.

It sounds like overall you did really well considering the week you were having.

Hope things got better for you the rest of the week.

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Today is gym day! Woke up, had bacon and coffee (breakfast of champions!), collected my shiny green chuck taylors that make lifting much easier on my ankles, located the gym water bottle and set off, fully motivated and happy to go lift barbells and plates and other exciting things at the gym. Only to discover that I have been slacking badly on my laundry, and I have no clean workout pants. The gym has strict rules against working out sans pants, so I started doing laundry.

Momentum went bye-bye, so I'm posting here telling all of you that I am going to go to the gym today after having late lunch. Because now that I've posted it, I have no excuse for not going. :) 

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

Momentum went bye-bye, so I'm posting here telling all of you that I am going to go to the gym today after having late lunch. Because now that I've posted it, I have no excuse for not going. :) 

Waiting to hear you made it to the gym

• Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

3 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Waiting to hear you made it to the gym

I am now back from the gym. In hindsight I should not have gone during the busiest part of the afternoon - I will have to pay close attention to that on Friday.

I debated starting over with Stronglifts since I was only four workouts in and have missed almost a week, but then realized that's Procrastination trying to sabotage my progress and making me weak again. So firmly told her to shut up and restarted the workout that failed last Wednesday after only three hours of sleep. Failed the fourth set of squats, so will stay on the same weight next time, but defeated Bahamut (that's the over head press, in case you're not following @farflights thread) and the dead lift with surprising ease. I expected Bahamut to destroy me, and the dead lift to be more challenging.

Good workout. :)

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021

giphy.gif

You go! Beat that bastard. I also strongly resuggest drowning procrastination, just make sure you get rid of the body.

I applaud you for sticking with the stronglifts. I skipped last Friday (accidentially put a scoop of "f@ck it all" in my tea on thursday and just didn't care friday). So I get to do the B week again this week....yea....another OHP day on friday.

I don't know how your mileage is going but I'm hitting deload prompts on both squat and ohp. I deloaded myself on barbell rows from 135 down to 110 cause I was using too much momentum to get the bar up.

Keep with it!

• Like 3

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

I think I'm about to hit deload prompts on squats, and am actually thinking about just lowering the weight myself before that happens.

One of the things I have learned from Stronglifts is that I've been squatting wrong all these years... barely getting down to parallel most of the time. So I've been working on that part of my form with body weight squats and goblet squats, and discovered that the main thing is my calf muscles are too tight. Going all the way down makes me tip backwards. I've increased the amount of leg stretching I do in the mornings and I stretch before warming up for squats, but it's still a challenge. I can squat absolutely fine if I lift my heels a couple of inches off the ground, but that doesn't seem right at all. Lowering the weight will hopefully help me work on this and get my form right, and then I can go back to increasing the weight again. 

And I'll consider your suggestions about Procrastination. Later.

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I think I'm about to hit deload prompts on squats, and am actually thinking about just lowering the weight myself before that happens.

One of the things I have learned from Stronglifts is that I've been squatting wrong all these years... barely getting down to parallel most of the time. So I've been working on that part of my form with body weight squats and goblet squats, and discovered that the main thing is my calf muscles are too tight. Going all the way down makes me tip backwards. I've increased the amount of leg stretching I do in the mornings and I stretch before warming up for squats, but it's still a challenge. I can squat absolutely fine if I lift my heels a couple of inches off the ground, but that doesn't seem right at all. Lowering the weight will hopefully help me work on this and get my form right, and then I can go back to increasing the weight again. 

I had similar issues with squattings and even with push ups because my feet wouldn't bend enough. I found that rolling my feet on a tennis ball before starting helps a huge lot.
Hope it helps you as well?
  • Like 3

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I think I'm about to hit deload prompts on squats,

It looks like the algorithm prompts a deload when you've got 3 consecutive sessions with failures in them

• Like 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

3 hours ago, farflight said:

It looks like the algorithm prompts a deload when you've got 3 consecutive sessions with failures in them

Oh that is definitely coming up then. :P

• Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 11/24/2017 at 5:15 PM, scalyfreak said:

1. Continue with the good habits from the last challenge.

2. Go to the gym every Friday, Sunday, and Tuesday.

3. Either swim or do yoga on Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, a.k.a. all non-gym days except Thursday.

4. Keep up with and report on any challenges I join here at NF. 

Good day today. :) 

1. No soda. Walked Prescious Sidekick for about 20 minutes in the afternoon.

2. Today is Wednesday, so does not apply.

3. Did not do yoga. Did however do the following things:

• Moved guestroom mattress and box spring foundation out of the room.
  • Then moved the memory foam mattress and platform from the main bedroom into the guest room.
  • Assembled new bed frame in the guest room.
  • Installed platform and mattress into the frame.
  • Assembled platform for new memory foam mattress and installed into bed frame in main bedroom.
  • Applied new memory foam mattress to new platform in main bedroom.

All of the above took lots of effort and physical activity. Since the whole point of the swim/yoga goal was to be active on non-gym days, today still counts as a win. :) 

4.  have not been very good about writing in my gratitude journal on a daily basis, and frankly that still comes down to putting it in a spot where it's impossible to ignore. I'm experimenting with various locations. Wrote in it tonight and it felt good. :) 

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

On 12/20/2017 at 3:53 PM, scalyfreak said:

Glad your body is (mostly) cooperating again and you were able to start Stronglifts!

My boyfriend has a similar issue with calf/ankle mobility and is working on goblet squats too at the moment :). Let us know if you find any secret ankle mobility fixes! In the meantime, while you work on mobility, it is fine to raise your heel artificially using weightlifting shoes or small plates, so your heel doesn't come off the ground (you're correct that that's not right at all ;) ).

This is how you can use plates to help:

12508929_10153751479461648_9016746343010

It's a temporary fix (I'd get squat shoes if mobility remains an issue - they're much more stable), but could help you keep progressing while you fix your mobility :).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3

Supple Lioness Mobility

I saw a woman squat with plates under her heels like that on Tuesday, and it's definitely something I'm considering as a temporary fix.

I need to get better about warming up with body weight squats and goblet squats before going to the bar, I think that will help. I can already tell that doing more hamstring and calf stretches is helping... the reason my ankle mobility is bad is that the calf muscles are too short/tight (I've spent the past decade in nothing but high heels, so that's not surprising), so as that gets corrected, the ankles should sort themselves out. Today is gym day, so we'll see how it goes.

• Like 5

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I figured it out!!!

I had my feet too close together! :) 

giphy.gif

In addition to that change, I did ten body weight squats and ten goblet squats before grabbing the bar. Then about ten with the bar, to make sure I got form and balance right. And then I added just 5 lbs to the bar, did five more, and then took those off and loaded it up to 60 lbs, the weight that has been giving me so many problems, and... 

giphy.gif

Easy sets, with only 90 seconds rest between them, and felt like I easily could have kept going. Next time it will be 65 lbs. :)

To keep things evenly balanced I failed on the chest press, with one of my shoulders failing to keep up with the other. The bar is supposed to be parallel to the ground, not tilted to one side when it goes up and down... so I will redo that one next time. Feeling more and more like the barbell row is Bahamut in a different form. 

Overall, a good workout that made me happy. :)

• Like 6

Book Riot Challenge 2021

16 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Good workouts are always a happy.

Yes, yes, they are. :) 

• Like 3

Book Riot Challenge 2021

I have finally figured out my  next challenges. I'm moving to the Warrior Guild, since continuing with Stronglifts will be front and center for the next 4-5 weeks. The diet and lifestyle goals will help with the lifting as well.

As for this second challenge, it went a bit better than the first one. I'm especially proud of how I unintentionally managed to learn that it is okay to miss a day, even two, towards my goals, and that is neither a disaster or a valid reason to give upon that goal. For most of my life I have sucked at personal accountability - if something important needs to be done I stress, maybe even agonize over it, but I have just not been very good actually making myself do the task in question. I'm getting much better at that now, and that makes me happy. (It really pisses off Procrastination, which of course is another bonus.)

I am still walking on a daily basis, I am going to the gym, I am doing moderate activities on recovery days between gym visits, and I am avoiding soda. The one diet coke I had right after Christmas , that was mixed 50-50 with bourbon, obviously doesn't count. :P

On towards the next challenge...!

MCguSE0.png

Procrastination and Self-Indulgence have not yet been defeated. But as Scalyfreak takes a short break in her journey to become the strong and self-rescuing princess she’s always wanted to be, she notices that the twin demons have changed. They look… smaller. Their voices are not as loud. Strange, but pleasing. Perhaps the long battle is slowly turning in Scalyfreak’s favor?

Scalyfreak thinks about this as she continues her journey. This new strategy of making slow and gradual changes, while surrounded by like-minded allies, seems to be working. That means that abandoning the strategy at this point, just because holiday exhaustion and frustration makes it a struggle to start the next challenge, would be a grave mistake.

Noises and lights up ahead intrude on Scalyfreak’s thoughts. She slows her steps, and eventually manages to trace the outline of a building in the dusk. She approaches cautiously, curious, until she is close enough to make out the sign above the door: “Warriors’ Guild Hall”

• Like 4

Book Riot Challenge 2021