Karma Krishok walks to base camp

Karma Krishok

I'm trying to get to a certain basic fitness level on which I can build in 2018. I have been slowly getting back into exercising and watching what I eat. The overal goal is to be able to hike for three weeks with a daypack in the Himalayas in October. To support that, I would like to lose around 2 kg / month (from 113 kg at the beginning of September to 87 in October next year). I'm not trying to focus to much on the weight loss since that is usually disappointing and hard to keep up. My main challenge is to keep it up while traveling a lot for work but maybe I should just make a goal out of it (which I did ;-))! Sticking to two goals I have been working on and want to make sure I keep following into next year, will slowly try to make it harder from the next challenge. The life challenge is new so let's see how that goes. And just for motivation:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdh8tI23i-JYR7hBgjtOb

Goal 1: Run three times a week - in three different places during the challenge (or 4 places in 2 countries, if schedule permits)

I have been consistently running three times a week at home, for a total of around 15k per week. I would like to keep that up and make sure I can finish the runs without walking at the end. I live in Malaysia so it's quite hot and humid and doing 4k is a lot harder then at home in the Netherlands! All runs to be measured on Strava of course.

Goal 2: Stay away from chocolate & other treats until I'm back on my 2 kg/month weight loss schedule

Even though the weight loss is not the most important aspect of why I'm trying to be more healthy, it is a good motivation to lay of the sweet stuff for a while. Binging on chocolate & chips is my biggest enemy. I was 2,5 kg behind at the beginning of this month so not sure when I will catch up, or if it is possible. But want to at least keep track of it for a while. For now, getting below 110 kg is the first step.

Life goal: Practice the solitude

One reason why I love hiking is that mountains make you feel so small, insignificant. They put things in perspective. I want to bring back my practice of meditation, also to keep it all together at work which has been quite stressful lately. I have had a burn-out a few years ago and it's still quite challenging sometimes. 15 minutes of meditation every evening for the duration of the challenge, plus a longer meditation in the weekend. I would love to make it to one hour by the end of the challenge.

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer
Challenges: 7654321

4 hours ago, The Borg Queen said:

Welcome back. Those seem like great goals! I am a fan of your meditation goal, especially. Good luck!

Thank you! I tend to stop meditating if everything in life either goes really well, or I feel really overwhelmed. Exactly the moments when meditation is supposed to help keep me grounded. Hoping to break that habit.

First meditation and first run of the challenge done. Off to a good start!

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

First week wrap-up! Quite happy with the progress so far.

Goal 1: Run three times a week - in three different places during the challenge (or 4 places in 2 countries, if schedule permits)

Ran three times, including my longest run yet (7.7k) and a fastest run on my standard shorter loop at home (4.2k). The total was 16.1k so met my 15k target. I hope to make it to 10k by the end of the month. That means I would make it to a park close by, run a nice loop around the lake and make it back home. Seems like a much nicer way to run than on crowded & busy city streets. Ran in two different cities this week, so halfway my goal of running in 4 places. Adding the third next week. --> On track!

Goal 2: Stay away from chocolate & other treats until I'm back on my 2 kg/month weight loss schedule

Haven't binged on chocolate and treats but did have two friends over from home this week. So not the most healthy food and we closed off some of our meals with deserts. I did loose another kilo over November but still lagging behind my targets (around 3.2k instead of 2,5k now). I might have to think about making more adjustments to my diet but do not want to change too many things too fast, that's been a recipe for failure in the past. So trying to be happy with small gains. As for getting below 110, the scale this morning was 110.3, so almost there! --> On track!

Three shorter meditations in the evening, one longer one scheduled for today. Two days we were out, one day I was up until 2AM for work and just crashed afterwards. It has helped me sleep a bit better. Should be able to keep this up for most of next week, maybe except one of my travel days with an overnight flight. --> On track!

• Like 1

Level 4 Adventurer

Second week wrap-up! 

Ran two times, with my third run planned for today. I did run in the third place this week. Traveling from next Friday so should be able to add one, maybe two more to the list for this challenge. Both my short runs were slightly over 5k this week, probably because I was in a cooler country and the runs were a bit easier. But the distance I'm running is slowly increasing. Since 10k is only 2.3k more, I should be able to do this by the end of the month ;-). --> On track!

My trips are always moments when I eat unhealthy and usually binge when I'm tired. I managed to stay away from chocolate and chips for the week. Which now means I'm under 110 kg, for the first time in a long time. I hope to hit 107 by the end of the month if I can keep up the running and eating habit. If that happens, I'm almost back on track with loosing weight. This felt really good! --> On track!

No meditation at all this week though. Resulting in less sleep.  So time to start a new week and make sure I'm in the right head-space to meditate before sleeping:

• I finished reading quite an intense book and will pick something easier to read before sleeping.
  • Also settling a work-issue today that has kept me occupied the last week. --> Needs improvement.
  • Like 2

Level 4 Adventurer

Third week wrap-up! Quite a good week I would say but there are a few risks of falling off the wagon. I'll be diving this week so probably no runs until the weekend. And I feel I have been eating a bit too much dinner. Maybe a good thing to talk about with my friends and let them know I want to take it easy on food for a few days.

I did miss a run this week since I, rather stupidly, forgot to buy new contacts. And I really don't see anything otherwise :-). Did manage to make a run in my fourth place so definitely met that target for this challenge. Good to know I can keep it up while traveling. Total distance was 10,6 with my long run being 6 km. That was a lunch run in very hot / humid conditions. Will try to go for a longer one again this Sunday before the Christmas dinner.  --> (Mostly) on track!

I saw the scale hitting 108.4 this week so incredibly happy with the progress. It's holiday time now though and I've been able to stay away from the ice creams and other treats mostly. Sinned on two chocolate biscuits and a few bites of sweet desserts to taste. No major binging on stuff. I do have the feeling I'm eating more than I should in my regular meals so should maybe try to eat a bit less, not sure I'm burning the extra calories these days. I'll be able to see the impact when I'm back on Friday / Saturday, just before the end of the challenge. --> So far on track!

Started meditating again towards the end of the week, on both Saturday and Sunday. The holiday makes me feel like I'm in a much better headspace to meditate. On the other hand, the holiday days make me quite tired and I feel exhausted early, which usually means good sleep without the meditation as well. Will try to keep it up for this week but should be ok if I don't manage it every day but still sleep well. --> On track again.

Level 4 Adventurer

Fourth week & challenge wrap-up. Feel quite happy with the progress and managed to complete most of my objectives, well enough to level up I would say. Looking forward to the next challenge.

I only ran once this week, today. But I was out diving for three days during this week (see some pictures below). It was quite intense so I think that makes up for the lack of running. I did manage to run my first 10k today. Quite happy with it but my knees are slightly worrying. I'll have to rest well and keep it slow next week to recover.  Time was 1.17.28, not too bad for the first one and I hope it opens up the possibility for a half marathon in April. Will need to strengthen my knees so that's going to be an objective in the next challenge after New Year. Biggest success: running in four different locations while traveling.  --> On track!

I did not gain weight over the holiday so that's quite nice, didn't loose any either. Still a week to go to loose a bit more before the end of the month when the official weigh-moment is. Looks like it should be possible to gain 1-1,5 kg back from the 3,8 kg I was behind. That would almost be half the backlog. I want to continue this for the next challenge with the exception of our Christmas dinner and NYE. Not going crazy but do want to enjoy some of the treats on the table. Biggest success: staying away from unhealthy food while traveling and ice creams on holiday. --> On track!

I slept great during the holiday on most days but didn't do much meditation. I think I meditated 2 times on average each week, not enough. I might try switching this to the morning, I usually have a bit more time there, definitely on days I do not go running. --> Needs attention.

PC210036.thumb.JPG.a6903a788f5140eae7bd58e3d1c13e99.JPGPC210011.thumb.JPG.11803c07b469aa9f2bb58170c29919e7.JPGPC210046.thumb.JPG.15afd68be0fa1637ac9992461ce246fa.JPG

Level 4 Adventurer