Won awards for sports! Go sports!

tl;dr - 

I play roller derby, we had an awards night last night, I won two awards for being part of the league. #validation

So last night my roller derby league had our first end of year dinner / awards night. Historically I was never the sporty type until starting derby and so I wasn't going in to dinner expecting much. The only sporting award I ever got was 2 participation awards for tee-ball when I was like, 6, or 8, or something. only like, 20 years ago. But I've really found a love for roller derby and the people I've met doing it. I've also never felt much drive to be an active member of the community or to be part of a team or anything like that. True Neutral Introvert. Yeahhh. 

BUT! Last night I was given an award for being the best Act-Belong-Commit volunteer person in the league (I am the fundraising organiser but still)

AND I won the award for Comeback Kid 2017 - the award for the best comeback from injury. There were only two contenders - me and another girl - but I'm really touched that my league-mates voted for me. I fully intend not to win that award next year though. No more broken limbs for me. (I broke my ankle in two places and got back on the team within 4 months so that's pretty cool.)

And despite all my end of year angst and lack of self confidence people believed in me. And when my teammates believe in me I believe in me more. I was having real mental struggles for the last few months of our season and being validated by my teammates reminds me why I put so much of myself into the sport and has given me some fuel to come back awesome next year. 

Go Sports!

• Like 3

Stonie

They/Them

Currently reading: Good Omens by Terry Pratchet & Neil Gaiman

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox)

Current DnD character: A radio presenter who’s magical bardic weapon is a portable radio broadcaster’s kit