Jump to content

Here we go! Again!


Matrim_Cauthon

Recommended Posts

Well it has been a while since I have been on here. The last challenges I tried didn't go all that great but that's not reason to stop trying. So I am back for another round before my bad habits force me to get new more.... uhh relaxed fitting clothing.


 

1) Track food intake. I have been doing it off and on for a while now and want to manage it every day through the challenge.

2) No more than 2-3 diet cokes a day. (you don't want to know how much of that junk I have been drinking)

3) I want to hit the gym 2x a week and do a set of pushups sit-ups and squats 3x a week. I don't really have any specific plan for what I'm going to do at the gym but at this point just going is an improvement.

4) No fast food / junk food. If I do end up eating out then I'll need to find some place with decent salads. This also means that I need to keep up with food prep so I don't have to go out to eat. With the way work is for me I end up eating breakfast and lunch at work 5 days a week and sometimes eat supper there too. So on a side note if anyone has recipes for quick easy things that make about 2-3 servings I am all ears.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
52 minutes ago, Matrim_Cauthon said:

Well it has been a while since I have been on here. The last challenges I tried didn't go all that great but that's not reason to stop trying.

 

You are absolutely right. I'm in the same position, and choose to move on to a new challenge because if I had not, I would have lost momentum and confidence in my ability to do this.

 

Have you signed up for the free resources from NF? In the eBook about strength training they have a really good gym program for beginners, that is written for just the situation you're describing - just going there is a victory. (And it is, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!) It's in Chapter 8, and it's a very simple plan to follow, with a small number of exercises, including the push-ups and squats you are already doing.

  • Like 1

Book Riot Challenge 2021

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scaly Freak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29

Link to post
2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

 

You are absolutely right. I'm in the same position, and choose to move on to a new challenge because if I had not, I would have lost momentum and confidence in my ability to do this.

 

Have you signed up for the free resources from NF? In the eBook about strength training they have a really good gym program for beginners, that is written for just the situation you're describing - just going there is a victory. (And it is, don't let anyone tell you otherwise!) It's in Chapter 8, and it's a very simple plan to follow, with a small number of exercises, including the push-ups and squats you are already doing.

Just going to the gym is the hardest part for me.

 

I did get those a while back but havent looked at them in a long time.  I should probably go back and review for ideas to have some kind of workout set.

 

Working on my meals now for work.  I have a crock pot of chicken stew getting ready to come off and taco soup I need to toss in a couple containers.  Not sure about breakfasts yet.

  • Like 2
Link to post
On 11/26/2017 at 10:17 AM, Matrim_Cauthon said:

Well it has been a while since I have been on here. The last challenges I tried didn't go all that great but that's not reason to stop trying. So I am back for another round before my bad habits force me to get new more.... uhh relaxed fitting clothing.

 

Welcome to the rebels. And you are completely right. Just because something didn't work means you find a different way to attack it. Sometimes it takes a bit before you figure out what works and what doesn't for you. Trust me, we have all had our share of "Well, that didn't work"

 

On 11/26/2017 at 10:17 AM, Matrim_Cauthon said:

1) Track food intake. I have been doing it off and on for a while now and want to manage it every day through the challenge.

 Good luck with this one. Hopefully you can do well with it.

 

On 11/26/2017 at 10:17 AM, Matrim_Cauthon said:

2) No more than 2-3 diet cokes a day. (you don't want to know how much of that junk I have been drinking)

Been there, done that. At least your on diet. I was doing mountain Dew a long time ago. Then I switched to Regular Coke/Pepsi adn did way too much of that. I finally cut back to 4 a day, then 3 then 2 then on, then once a week and ect. If cutting down to 2 or 3 is too hard, its okay to cut back to a higher number.

 

On 11/26/2017 at 10:17 AM, Matrim_Cauthon said:

3) I want to hit the gym 2x a week and do a set of pushups sit-ups and squats 3x a week. I don't really have any specific plan for what I'm going to do at the gym but at this point just going is an improvement.

Maybe at this point, not having a plan is a good idea. Just go and experiment. Maybe take a sheet of paper and start counting your push ups and sit ups. I had one whole challenge where I went from 0 push ups to 25. I did the same with sit ups. I just did as many as I could a day and increased when I thought I could. The squats might work the same (I haven't tackled those tho).

 

On 11/26/2017 at 10:17 AM, Matrim_Cauthon said:

4) No fast food / junk food. If I do end up eating out then I'll need to find some place with decent salads. This also means that I need to keep up with food prep so I don't have to go out to eat. With the way work is for me I end up eating breakfast and lunch at work 5 days a week and sometimes eat supper there too. So on a side note if anyone has recipes for quick easy things that make about 2-3 servings I am all ears.

 

Good luck with this. I will say, we tend to do an all day "cook" day on Sundays (last day of the weekend) where we prep all the lunches and breakfasts for the week. Then they are grab and go or put in container and go. It may mean we eat the same thing all 5 days, but it saves trying to figure it out. What have you been doing for lunches beside eating out? are there any dietary or situational things to consider (ex. I am allergic to nuts and at work I do not have a fridge or microwave, so it has to be something I don' t need to keep cold or reheat).

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing how you do

 

  • Like 2

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post

Hey Matrim, welcome back! Looks like you have a really great set of realistic and well thought out goals this challenge. Tracking food is such a big one that I always overlook but is so helpful, so good on you for going after it! 

 

Don't forget to pop in and tell us how it's going. We're here to cheer for you!

  • Like 2
Link to post

I meant to do this yesterday but close enough I suppose.

 

1)  I have actually done pretty good at tracking everything.  While I haven't managed 100% I'd say I'm at around 90%.

 

2)  The diet coke intake has been hit and miss.  I would say I made it about half the days so far.   ( I should enter these into my tracking)

 

3)  Well today was the first day I actually did my situps pushups and squats.  Looks like I get to do a set every day the rest of this week :)    I still haven't been to the gym yet.  I have instead had my head stuck in a book trying to finish it off so I can theory craft with a guy at work ( If you are curious its the new Stormlight Archives book)  I know its not an excuse but realistically I'll probably only manage the gym once this week.  So to make up for it I may just make myself go for a short hike somewhere.  My intent is with this goal is to simply make myself do something.  Which is quite a bit more than the nothing I have been doing.

 

4) I have eaten out 2x this week.  Once for dinner and once for lunch.  I really need to do a little more prep at the end of this week so I have 3 meals worth of food available to me at work.

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 11/27/2017 at 6:46 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

 

Welcome to the rebels. And you are completely right. Just because something didn't work means you find a different way to attack it. Sometimes it takes a bit before you figure out what works and what doesn't for you. Trust me, we have all had our share of "Well, that didn't work"

 

 Good luck with this one. Hopefully you can do well with it.

 

Been there, done that. At least your on diet. I was doing mountain Dew a long time ago. Then I switched to Regular Coke/Pepsi adn did way too much of that. I finally cut back to 4 a day, then 3 then 2 then on, then once a week and ect. If cutting down to 2 or 3 is too hard, its okay to cut back to a higher number.

 

Maybe at this point, not having a plan is a good idea. Just go and experiment. Maybe take a sheet of paper and start counting your push ups and sit ups. I had one whole challenge where I went from 0 push ups to 25. I did the same with sit ups. I just did as many as I could a day and increased when I thought I could. The squats might work the same (I haven't tackled those tho).

 

 

Good luck with this. I will say, we tend to do an all day "cook" day on Sundays (last day of the weekend) where we prep all the lunches and breakfasts for the week. Then they are grab and go or put in container and go. It may mean we eat the same thing all 5 days, but it saves trying to figure it out. What have you been doing for lunches beside eating out? are there any dietary or situational things to consider (ex. I am allergic to nuts and at work I do not have a fridge or microwave, so it has to be something I don' t need to keep cold or reheat).

Welcome. Looking forward to seeing how you do

 

1) The food logging is a pain in the rear but it's a wonderful reminder of how many empty calories you just consumed from any given "kitchen of making people sad"

 

2) I am going to try and make sure I have some tea and stevia available too so that way I can try and start swapping that out for the diet cokes.  I figure if I make it herbal tea that will also help with lowering my caffeine intake which is sky high.  That is another quest though.

 

3)  When I used to work out I did track things.  Maybe not every time but at least every week or 2.  I'm usually good once I get to the gym but walking through that odd force field at the door is hard the first several times.  I'm planning on doing what you did with pushups.  Just go until I can really feel it then stop.  When I can go up I will if I can't that's fine. 

 

4) I have been pretty good about getting at least one meal for each day cooked on the weekends.  If I don't eat out and haven't prepared something I usually end up eating some frozen pre-made thing.  I have no dietary restrictions and thankfully do have a microwave, refrigerator and freezer at work.  I have honestly considered getting a toaster oven or a hot plate for my office (yes I could actually get away with that where I work)

  • Like 1
Link to post
9 hours ago, Matrim_Cauthon said:

1) The food logging is a pain in the rear but it's a wonderful reminder of how many empty calories you just consumed from any given "kitchen of making people sad"

 

2) I am going to try and make sure I have some tea and stevia available too so that way I can try and start swapping that out for the diet cokes.  I figure if I make it herbal tea that will also help with lowering my caffeine intake which is sky high.  That is another quest though.

 

This sounds like a good plan. If you replace one soda a day wit this, and then another later, it should work.

 

9 hours ago, Matrim_Cauthon said:

3)  When I used to work out I did track things.  Maybe not every time but at least every week or 2.  I'm usually good once I get to the gym but walking through that odd force field at the door is hard the first several times.  I'm planning on doing what you did with pushups.  Just go until I can really feel it then stop.  When I can go up I will if I can't that's fine. 

 

I get the force field. I hit it more than once trying out gyms. My thing is getting the time to get to one. Do what you can, but don't overdo.

 

9 hours ago, Matrim_Cauthon said:

4) I have been pretty good about getting at least one meal for each day cooked on the weekends.  If I don't eat out and haven't prepared something I usually end up eating some frozen pre-made thing.  I have no dietary restrictions and thankfully do have a microwave, refrigerator and freezer at work.  I have honestly considered getting a toaster oven or a hot plate for my office (yes I could actually get away with that where I work)

 

Honestly, I would love either of these. I don't even have a microwave or a fridge I trust at work. I say trust because I have them, but I know what else goes in them, so am I not putting food in them. Could you make 3 meals worth of the same thing at home for the week and then just take in your food on the first day you go in? Like cook up 3 chicken breasts and rice and veg and make your own little meal and then nuke it at work when you need it?

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post

Really I'm still here!  Life always seems to throw something at me whenever it can I think...

 

1)  tracking my food intake has amazingly gone pretty well.  I have to guess at a few things from time to time but that's ok.  Friday and the weekend didn't go so great since I logged almost nothing but the other days have been good.

 

2) Well I have been over my limit but have still been drinking fewer diet cokes.  I have actually been drinking water at work.  Still a ways to go but progress is progress.


3) The gym has been a problem.  I have been drafted to help someone finish up a remodel before Christmas and there is no way he will be able to get it done without help.  So I suppose I'll call remodeling a room my gym for now... Not exactly heavy work but its better than sitting at my computer like I would if I wasn't helping.  I should finish up my second set of body weight exercise today so that is going ok. 

 

4)  I did end up eating out twice this week and used one microwave meal but kept it reasonable at least in the calorie perspective.  Crunchy tacos from the "Bell" are surprisingly not that calorie dense and the other time was subway (way too much bread for what goes in between) I underestimated what I needed to cook over the weekend because Sunday night after I was done with cooking was the day I realized I had been drafted to help remodel every day after work.  However! I still had some pork chops in the refrigerator which I cooked tonight.  I have a little leftover taco soup.  Some frozen green beans with almonds at work and a few other reasonable things I can use for Thursday and Friday.  I also have enough roasted vegetables I made over the week to have a serving tomorrow and Friday.  All in all its better but not where I want it.

  • Like 1
Link to post

@Bean Sidhe

I'm curious what goes in the microwaves at work that you wont use them but then again I can understand.  I have access to 2 of them.  One of them will cause anything that goes in them to come out tasting like cigarettes and the one I use is pretty much safe.  I can also understand the refrigerator part.  I have seen... things in work refrigerators... I think some of them have asked me to close the door when I opened it. LOL!

 

I usually try to take in a little extra at least on Monday for a just in case but there is only so much room and things tend to "disappear" in the work refrigerator.  I do sometimes manage to keep some shelf stables like canned chicken or tuna in my office but I'm not really good at it.  I also never know if I get to leave a 4:30pm 6:00pm or 9:00pm... or later. The time I get to leave work is a daily unknown.  Plus I have a long commute

  • Like 1
Link to post
On 12/6/2017 at 8:41 PM, Matrim_Cauthon said:

@Bean Sidhe

I'm curious what goes in the microwaves at work that you wont use them but then again I can understand.  I have access to 2 of them.  One of them will cause anything that goes in them to come out tasting like cigarettes and the one I use is pretty much safe.  I can also understand the refrigerator part.  I have seen... things in work refrigerators... I think some of them have asked me to close the door when I opened it. LOL!

 

Sorry, I was off a bit dealing with a homework issue. The microwave I have at work is for mostly heating chemicals and making agar. However, I do know at least one snake snack has gone in there, and well, not come out in the same number of pieces that went in.  My boss uses it most days, but I just can't bring myself too.

 

On 12/6/2017 at 8:41 PM, Matrim_Cauthon said:

I usually try to take in a little extra at least on Monday for a just in case but there is only so much room and things tend to "disappear" in the work refrigerator.  I do sometimes manage to keep some shelf stables like canned chicken or tuna in my office but I'm not really good at it.  I also never know if I get to leave a 4:30pm 6:00pm or 9:00pm... or later. The time I get to leave work is a daily unknown.  Plus I have a long commute

 

That would make sense. I don't have anything that is mine and the fridge I have access too also contains labs supplies. So I just carry in a lunch box every day. This also means if I don't get lunch, I can eat it on the way home. I may do this most days... At least the veggies adn dried fruit and cheese stick stuff. the soup or what not I don't eat while driving.

 

So how is the challenge going?

Current Challenge ---> Bean Si Vs Chaos No energy for a title

You are never too old to set another goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Link to post

so things went to hell...  I got a new job and have to move out of town while helping someone remodel their place.  I'm also on a tight time schedule for the move and the start of the new job. The good news is that after I get settled I should have time to actually do things I want to do for once.... so I hope

  • Like 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines