Mike D builds a batcave

Mike_d85

I got a full size basement in May, but right now my Batcave is basic. 

batman1-e1402854554422.png

I already had a small dumbbell set, some home made weights, and a macebell, but no space to use them in.  My in-laws have some stuff I can get at Christmas: a bench, some floor padding, some loose weights which may or may not fit my dumbell bar.

So I need to pick up some stuff and I want to minimize what I buy and how much I spend.  Even Batman is picking stuff out of Wayne Enterprise's basement before he goes and just BUYS stuff.  I want to scavenge,  craft, or find for free, or quest for what I can.  I'm going to see what I can do to make some spare cash to buy what I can't junk.  I've already spied some scrap metal I can turn in for a few bucks behind my building.

The wish list:

Olympic Barbell - Picked one up as a Black Friday deal.  300# total weight for $180.  That's about half of what I would normally have to spend.

Barbell Rack - buying this.

Pull Up Bar - I can do pull ups of the I-beam in the basement, but it's uncomfortable.  I'd rather have a proper pullup bar.

Floor padding - I want to muffle sound as much as possible.

Deadlift Riser - The 45# plates for my barbell are a bit small so deadlifting is awkward.  I want to get something to rest the plates on to raise them about an inch.  Scrap lumber, basically.

Parallel bars - For dips, basically.  Super low on my list.

Weight rack

The goals:

1. Find ways to quest for items
  2. Build the Bat Cave
  3. Get back into heavier weightlifting. 
  4. Maintain running (30km per week)
  • Like 2

My Battle Log 

I'm on Strava for my running now.

Check out Kick! too.  You unlock gear with your progress on Strava.

I like how you broke down exactly what you want to get. I think it's really smart to focus on getting set up with the proper equipment. That way you won't end up using the lack of equipment as an excused for not working out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

QengpuBenal, level 4 High Elf Ranger STR5| DEX 2| STA13| CON 6| WIS 19| CHA 6

Battle Log

"I want to live in a world where normal is an insult." - Misha Collins

Okay, week 1 roundup:

batman-1966-2.jpg?w=814&h=458

1. Find ways to quest for items - There was a bike being thrown out at my apartment.  I snatched it and I'm going to put together a scrap metal pile from that and a few things in the woods at my apartment (including a small tractor/car engine).  I have no idea how much I'll get out of it but a few dollars after cleaning up the green space can't be that bad.
  2. Build the Bat Cave - I ordered the squat rack on Tuesday and have it assembled.  The photo is uploaded to my post.
  3. Get back into heavier weightlifting. - I'm starting into the BUFF Dudes 12 week program I did last year but I've run into a problem.  I'm running short on time.  Maybe I can sort out being more efficient with my gym time but I'm pretty restricted on when I get there and to work because I'm using public transit.  I have 45-55 minutes for lifting unless I find an earlier bus route.
  4. Maintain running (30km per week) - I fell a little short.  I meant to do the last 5k last night, but I forgot the puppy had a vet appointment (she just got over a UTI) and didn't get a chance to run before dinner.

I'll give that a 3 out of 4.

• Like 2

My Battle Log 

On 12/2/2017 at 12:51 PM, The Borg Queen said:

A free bike?? Score! What's wrong with it? 

The front wheel is missing, several of the cables were in bad shape, and it was a cheap Huffy to begin with.  I ended up scrapping the scrap metal too.  I did some math and research and I had about $5 of metal.  I probably would have spent that on gas.

• Like 1

My Battle Log 

OK, week 2 recap:

lego_batcave_07.jpg

1. Find ways to quest for items - I have a few irons in the fire here.  I've been scrounging the free section of craigslist and found a site called freecycle.org.  Both have some stuff that might be useful (scrap wood, mattresses and carpet) and I'm coordinating with owners to pick this stuff up.  Worst case scenario I'll grab some pallets out of the trash from the local vet (they toss them in the dumpster). I can clean them up and make some baffling and a deadlift platform.
  2. Build the Bat Cave - No progress other than fiddling around the internet finding what I need.
  3. Get back into heavier weightlifting - I found an earlier bus and I can almost complete the scheduled exercises from my old 12-week program.  Feeling good and digging it.
  4. Maintain running (30km per week) - done.
  • Like 1

My Battle Log 

Week 3 on deck:

Secrets-of-the-Batcave-Lithograph-1995.j

1. Find ways to quest for items - All my freecycle and craigslist connections fell through since I didn't have a car to pick stuff up (the car was in the shop all weekend).  I'm spending today looking for stuff and hopefully picking some things up on Saturday.
  2. Build the Bat Cave - I scavenged some pallets from the trash.  I'm going to pull them apart and make deadlift decking tomorrow.
  3. Get back into heavier weightlifting. - I got 2 out of three days in the 12 week plan mostly done and missed my bus one day and had to cut deadlift day short.  Since I had so much trouble getting all the work in I'm going to stay in Phase I through the rest of the challenge.  Some of the secondary lifts are there to prevent injury doing specific lifts later in the program so completion is important.
  4. Maintain running (30km per week)- Not anywhere close.  It was icy and I only managed to get 20k this week.  Which sounds good but it was a 15k long run and one 5k weekday.

My Battle Log 

I'm heading out of town for Christmas tomorrow so I'm going to go ahead and do my challenge recap today:

batcave-1968.jpg

1. Find ways to quest for items - I nabbed some pallets and started getting them torn apart this week.  I also scavenged some couch cushions to make sound dampening.  Overall: meh.  I think I need to get a little more mobile to really make an impact.  I'm going to try to be more Fred Sanford in the future.
  2. Build the Bat Cave - Very little done.  I should still have a working gym when I get back from Christmas (the in-laws have an unused weight bench and flooring) so I'll have the bare minimum.
  3. Get back into heavier weightlifting. Done for the challenge.  I feel pretty good about this being back to a solid habit and that makes me think I'll get more use out of the home gym.
  4. Maintain running (30km per week) Done this week.  I think I only missed one week, but boy howdy did I miss that week.
  • Like 2

My Battle Log