Hello! My name is Thanneth and I’m a lvl 0 newbie who just found NF while idly scrolling the internet one idle night. As usual, I’m a tad late to the party. 

About me: I read more books than I play video games, and my favorites include LotR, the Hobbit, and science fiction novels. I love to write and wrestle with my dog. I’ve been deeply involved in martial arts for the past eight years and am now moving into the world of acrobatics. But who knows, I could lose interest in a moment and go off in an entrely different direction. I need something to keep me anchored in this plane of reality. 

And that’s where NF and my first 4-Week Challenge come in. 

I’ve started to struggle with depression (I believe) because of my increasingly sedentary lifestyle (college student)and noticed that binge eating behaviors were becoming more prominent. A few years ago I was active every day walking, running, just goofing off and I felt great. Now it’s rare that I take a walk.  My long-term goal is to regain the joie de vivre I have lost by making physical activity an integral part of my life instead of a bonus and learning how to retake control of what and how much I put into my body. 

4-week Challenge

1. Complete the bodyweightfitness recommended routine  2x a week for the 1st week, x3 for the 3rd and 4th. Before 8pm.
2. Work on a future assignment (that’s not due that week) 2x per week
3. Meditate 20 min 3x a week
4. 1x make a dinner for the family

Bonus Points:

1x a week make a journal-list of everything I’m grateful for

Do yoga for minimum 5 min. (pts for every time)

Go a day without snacking. (pts for every day) 

EPIC GOAL:

Reach 18% body fat by August 1, 2018

Complete a sprint triathlon 

Hike Hadrian’s Wall 

TRUELY UNATTAINABLY EPIC GOAL:

Defeat an orc pack and then run for three days  

• Like 5

“Deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.”

Aragorn II, Heir of Isildur and Cheiftan of the Dunedain 

Current Challenge

Battle Log: Thanneth faces the Dragons of Disorder

Hi, welcome!

You seem to have some similarities with me, so I wanted to share the book I'm listening to right now. What Are You Hungry For? by Deepak Chopra.

I know I'm recommending it a bit early, since I'm only about a third through it, but it is really hitting home and making me feel really good about the mind-body connection and how to feel good in life. My gut tells me you might get some good out of it. I guess there was a PBS thing too, but I haven't watched it yet.

Best wishes!!

• Like 1

Thanks Starkanda, my local library has several copies and I’ll definitely check one out!

Current Challenge

hey welcome to the challenge! 

am I reading this correctly - your bodyweight routine takes 1 1/2 hours to complete? what does it include?

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

The bodyweight challenge is the Recommeded routine which I found somewhere as a free resource on the NF website. I can’t find it there now, but I printed off the cheat sheet. It does take 1-1.5 hrs and I haven’t even tried it yet becuase thats intimidatingly long! I really want to get into acrobtics though. 

• Like 2

Current Challenge

I can relate to your struggle a fair bit, and definitely see the link between depression and sedentary lifestyles (working on that myself). I also love reading, and sci-fi and speculative lit is my favorite. Having just read and enjoyed "City of Brass" by SA Chakraborty and "Book of Speculation" by Erika Swyler,  I recommend both of them.

I like your goals, and I wish you luck! :)

Attempting Challenge: November 26 to December 23.

20 minutes ago, Thanneth Stormdancer said:

The bodyweight challenge is the Recommeded routine which I found somewhere as a free resource on the NF website. I can’t find it there now, but I printed off the cheat sheet. It does take 1-1.5 hrs and I haven’t even tried it yet becuase thats intimidatingly long! I really want to get into acrobtics though. 

so just take my suggestion as you will: don't let a particular routine that might be long and intimidating stand in your way of success. there's a few routines here that are a little shorter, maybe start with one of these just to get going, and in the habit of doing stuff? you can work the longer routine in when you have time for it. 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/bodyweight-training-resources/

and YES acrobatics. hi, assassin's ambassador! :D I would love to do a handstand, that is a long term training milestone for me that i am dusting off again and starting to more purposefully work towards. 

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Thank you! I will take that advice and allow it to validate what I might otherwise consider too small a goal. I guess that’s part of trying something other than the things that haven’t worked for me. 

I’ll be excited to work on the rec. routine when I have the chance because I’m working towards walking on my hands, and doing a kip-up! First things first though!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

On 11/27/2017 at 9:08 PM, Thanneth Stormdancer said:

My long-term goal is to regain the joie de vivre I have lost by making physical activity an integral part of my life instead of a bonus and learning how to retake control of what and how much I put into my body. 

4-week Challenge

1. Exercise directly after school: Complete the bodyweightfitness recommended routine (1-1.5 hr.) 2x a week for the 1st week, x3 for the 3rd and 4th.
    • Or 5x in the 1st and 2nd week, 4x in the 3rd and 4th, take Clara (my dog) for a 30-60 min. walk
  2. Work on a future assignment (that’s not due that week) 2x per week
  3. Meditate 20 min 3x a week
  4. 1x make a dinner for the family

Hi Thanneth!  Welcome to the game.

On Quest #2, what's the measurement you'll use to decide that you've done enough work on a future assignment for that day's work to count toward the completion of this goal?  For example, in order to complete your "2x per week" goal, do you need to complete your future assignments 2x per week?  Or spend X amount of time (30 minutes, for example) working on them each time? 

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

On 11/28/2017 at 9:54 PM, karinajean said:

am I reading this correctly - your bodyweight routine takes 1 1/2 hours to complete? what does it include?

Antranik's "r/bodyweightfitness recommended routine" is one of the two outside-of-NF bodyweight programs I included in the NF Beginner Guidebook.  There's a link to it in there on the resource library post.

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Can definitely relate to the whole student/sedentary lifestyle thing - similar reasons brought me here.

Really like the journal list of everything you're grateful for quest in particular. Seems really well aligned with your background and goals. It's something I've found really useful in the past too.

Good luck Thanneth!

Hazard,

Thank you for asking me, I hadn’t thought about it. I would work towards a goal within the assignment such as outlining, first draft, finish X amount of problems, trying to work in relatively small blocks of time, like 15-20 minutes. I would aim for that, to make it less threatening, but would allow myself to continue studying if I found myself enjoying it (which I often do). The only issue is activating the grit to pull stuff together and get started, and overcoming that is the main exercise here. 

Current Challenge

I have to agree that a 1.5 hour routine could be a bit off putting, especially to start with!  

Welcome to the Rebellion, and you're not late, you're right on time :D 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

On 11/27/2017 at 9:08 PM, Thanneth Stormdancer said:

TRUELY UNATTAINABLY EPIC GOAL:

Defeat an orc pack and then run for three days  

Okay but are you going to do it in full armor and carrying weapons or just in a backpack and good running shoes? And with a group of friends or alone? I'm much like Gimli. 

"I'm wasted on cross-country. We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances.

At the moment Im much like a dwarf with running and hiking instead of the human I used to be. But thats okay, that's what this place is for. I admire your goals. I like the thought of just getting the joy back into life being the focus. Sometimes we need to take a step back and try to refocus. 

• Like 2
On 12/5/2017 at 8:21 AM, ValkyrieRising said:

Okay but are you going to do it in full armor and carrying weapons or just in a backpack and good running shoes? And with a group of friends or alone? I'm much like Gimli. 

"I'm wasted on cross-country. We dwarves are natural sprinters. Very dangerous over short distances.

I'm aspiring to go Aragorn-style (minimal armor or a backpack and good running shoes). If I had a group to run with, I would, but right now I'm  flying solo. However, this is quite the undertaking (for me, I don't know about anyone else) and I would like to think I could muster a few dear friends who'd be willing to be epic with me. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Checking in for Week 2:

Absolute disaster. I have no accountability. I feel as though I cannot effectively meld the disparate aspects of my life into one harmonious piece, like I will have to have absolute concentration in order to achieve my goals. In short, feeling like I shouldn’t even try until the Time is Right. 

Turns out it’s never right!

I tried to post in the Find Your Sidekick posts today, but after multiple versions I left because I didn’t know what people wanted to hear from a potential accountability partner. This forum has been so wonderful in showing me that there are “people like me” to use a horrendous cliche, and I want to get to know those people, right along with the ones that couldn’t be more different.

Still waiting on the magical transformation that will turn me into someone who can do it all on their own!

What is your advice (anyone)? How can I keep up with responsibilities to college and my family while still turning myself into the Thanneth 2.0 that I want to be?  

I think I’ll talk to the people here with me, and see if they can help me stay on track. 

Thanneth, over and out. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I think you first need to answer When and What.  and keep efforts small in the beginning.

how DID you do first you first week in exercising AFter school?  did you beat yourself up for Not meeting an ambitious goal; or are you not doing any activity at all??

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

36 minutes ago, TGP said:

I think you first need to answer When and What.  and keep efforts small in the beginning.

how DID you do first you first week in exercising AFter school?  did you beat yourself up for Not meeting an ambitious goal; or are you not doing any activity at all??

Last week I did not exercise directly after school as I found myself continually caught up in other things. Preiously I found it easier and more enjoyable to workkout right before bed, but I’ve heard this can negatively affect sleep so I was trying to make it an earlier habit. Mostly I was lenient on myself so long as I got it done. And I did, but that was the only aspect that I fulfilled. 

39 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Change is hard, especially if you're truly at level 0. Perhaps pick one thing to focus on. Make that a habit and then focus on the next.

I chose the goals I did because they represeted the range of my improvement endeavors and intersts, so maybe I will just focus on exercise and meditation that will hopefully put me in a better mental state. I’m not making an excuse, this week was hellish, down to the mental-break-with-reality kind of stuff that I couldn’t control. Looking back, getting some execise would have been so helpful in putting me in a more stable place.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

I would still re-iterate.

ANY exercise is better than none at all.  so in the name of accountability;  when will you next attempt to exercise and what will you do?

tell us THAT and we will ask how it goes. thats what a good accountabuddy does right?

now about the "other things";  to a point that still would be ok.  say after school you have a friend who wants some company and you're urged to help him out.  come up with another date, time and activity and go help your friend.

what you want to avoid is an unspecific Whim.  "I'm gonna exercise 3x a week"... with NO idea what he is going to do; and no real plan where and not enough real intent to change his Life.

whims are bad. 

you CAN do this

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

Don't be afraid to start with small changes, they are more sustainable than overhauling your whole life!

Start in the kitchen, track what you're eating, honesty...don't change anything but track for a week and review and see what you need to change. Make changes you can honesty stick with! Don't go all Keto/Paleo/Vegan if the rest of your household is not on board, it won't be sustainable. What changes can you make even if no one else in your house is? And stick with them?

Start walking 10 minutes a day. Start taking the stairs when available...little changes. Have a goal, what do you want to do? Lift heavy things? Run a 5k? Marathon? What can you honestly commit to? If your schedule doesn't allow for 5 or even 3 days a week? Be realistic! Plan on what you can really do, what you're really going to do! As time goes on you may find more time in your schedule to work out, may not, but be honest about it!

Check in here. There are a lot of us that have been here for years and we still don't have it the way we want it...if any of us could do it on our own we wouldn't be here :) but here is pretty damn good! You get out of this site exactly what you put into it.

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 Part II

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

I've also found in the past that scheduling things helps. Like signing up for this class. Or making plans to meet up with someone for a run. Or booking in some gym time. Just actually putting it on the schedule makes it more difficult to get caught up in things. Or makes it easier to say "Okay, going to stop here I have to be at....Zumba or something (sorry no clue what classes are available near you) in 30 minutes." Or "Theres only 4 workouts at my box. I can't do the 5am or 6am so Ill do the 5pm or 6pm." Etc etc. Is there anyway you can start scheduling in workout time? Is your lunch break a viable time to do things? I intend to work up to using the elliptical at work on my lunch break just so I can get 20 minutes a day in. You should take an objective look at your schedule and find the times when it's easier than others to carve out workout time. Sit down and plan out your day, see where you can begin to do small things. Like @RES said 10 minutes a day, take the stairs. All of those "little" things add up. Heck even if you do 10 minutes in the morning, 10 at lunch, 10 at night. There you go. 30 minutes of workout.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, ValkyrieRising said:

Sit down and plan out your day, see where you can begin to do small things. Like @RES said 10 minutes a day, take the stairs. All of those "little" things add up. Heck even if you do 10 minutes in the morning, 10 at lunch, 10 at night. There you go. 30 minutes of workout.

My lunch is also my commute, so that won’t work. I don’t have one time after 6.00am that I can count on being open for workng out everday, so it would have to be a different time everyday. Once I’m there, I have no trouble finishing (knock on wood) but I puch myself to get out, into a gym, onto a trail, or into workout clothes if I’m at home. On work nights I come home late, which prohibits me from relying on that either, but I don’t work more than one or two weekdays and weekends are more open. I don’t need to do an intense workout everyday (yet!), so I’ll just focus on taking your advice and getting it in when I can, even if the exercise only lasts 10 minutes.

Thanks guys! 

I want to run a full Tough Mudder next September, which is a big goal, but I’ve broken it down into many, many small segments, allowing for those habits to build. For the first time I feel confident in making changes that will last. It doesn’t mean much practically yet, but at hte same time hope means everything. 

• Like 4

Current Challenge