Getting Back to ManOfSteel: First Challenge

Little about me:

25 y/o

I joined Nerd Fitness about a year ago. I joined because it seemed like a cool idea to level up and I love having goals and completing challenges in games and real life. Favorite games are Diablo 2, and currently Destiny 2. 

I believe I started a challenge back when I joined, but right as that was happening everything else in my life was getting busier. I didn't keep up with the challenge, other things were more important at the time. But I am ready now to start this challenge and get back to my routine that has been lacking for a while. 

Main Quest

Get back into a routine and start better habits for working out and eating. ( If I complete my challenge goals I believe this will be Completed)

Challenge Goals (Over 4 weeks)

1. Complete 840 workout minutes
  2. Drink 2800 ounces Water
  3. End with a Ratio of 8 Healthy : 1 Unhealthy meals

Challenge goals explained:

1. 28 days x 30 minutes = 840 minutes       This will consist of mostly Weight lifting and then occasionally Ice Hockey, and HIIT workouts. I am most likely going to be working out longer than 30 minutes for each session so I will have some room for rest days. 

2. 28 days x 100 ounces water.    I think this is reasonable. I got into the habit of drinking sodas and other beverages more often than I would like so drinking 100 ounces of water a day should keep me away from them. I have a couple 30 ounce water bottles that I will bring to work and also have filled at all times. 

3. This one is based on what I think are healthy and not healthy meals. What I am considering unhealthy is: desserts full of sugar and fat, fried foods, processed foods, things that are high in fat or carbs, also eating way too much for a meal.  I know this is somewhat opinion based because I don't have a set list or number of calories, but I know pretty well what's good for me and what's not. 

I know I am a few days late but that just means I will have to do a little catching up with my numbers. I look forward to the challenge. Hopefully will be updating a few times a week. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ManOfSteel17 said:

Main Quest

Get back into a routine and start better habits for working out and eating. ( If I complete my challenge goals I believe this will be Completed)

Challenge Goals (Over 4 weeks)

1. Complete 840 workout minutes
  2. Drink 2800 ounces Water
  3. End with a Ratio of 8 Healthy : 1 Unhealthy meals

Hello ManofSteel17!  Welcome (back) to the game!

Looking over the goal explanations, all of your challenge quests are clear and measurable.  Good job. :encouragement:   Out of curiosity, for Quest #1, do you have a program/routine you'll be following when weightlifting?

• Like 1

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

15 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Hello ManofSteel17!  Welcome (back) to the game!

Looking over the goal explanations, all of your challenge quests are clear and measurable.  Good job. :encouragement:   Out of curiosity, for Quest #1, do you have a program/routine you'll be following when weightlifting?

As best as I can I follow a plan from bodybuilding.com. Some exercises have to be changed due to me working out in my home gym that has no machines but I've enjoyed their plans in the past.

1 hour ago, ManOfSteel17 said:

As best as I can I follow a plan from bodybuilding.com. Some exercises have to be changed due to me working out in my home gym that has no machines but I've enjoyed their plans in the past.

Following along and I'm excited for your progress! Feel free to paste a link to your plan too. Always cool to see what folks are working with.

37 minutes ago, Laghail said:

Following along and I'm excited for your progress! Feel free to paste a link to your plan too. Always cool to see what folks are working with.

It looks like bodybuilding.com you now have to pay for the guides.  They must have just changed that, it wasn't like that before. 

But I follow this guide for the most part. https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mp_getswole_phase1-4-bb.pdf

Occasionally I will feel like changing it up and pick a couple exercises and weights and just see how many reps I can do in like an hour or something. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Raxie said:

Glad you made room for rest days - our bodies get a lot done during those!  I really like your idea of ratios for healthy meals.  Do you have any meal prep or anything in mind?

Thanks, I thought the ratio idea would be interesting. As for meal prep, nothing set in stone. My fiance and I usually choose like 3 different meals each week and then make enough on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday to get through the week for lunches and dinners.

Progress:

1. 50 / 840 Workout minutes

2. 126 / 2800 ounces Water

3. 3 Healthy : 0 Unhealthy meals

• Like 1
19 hours ago, ManOfSteel17 said:

It looks like bodybuilding.com you now have to pay for the guides.  They must have just changed that, it wasn't like that before. 

But I follow this guide for the most part. https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/mp_getswole_phase1-4-bb.pdf

Occasionally I will feel like changing it up and pick a couple exercises and weights and just see how many reps I can do in like an hour or something. 

That program looks solid for isolation work, just keep up on the progress pic / tracking game for your records. Helps me to see what a program is actually doing to me.

I'm on track still which is great. Drinking more water I'm feeling really good. My workouts are going well. I've had to switch it up a little bit off the workout plan because of some time constraints but that's ok I did some circuits that made me work hard. I think tonight may be the first unhealthy meal, it will most likely be pizza but I'll opt for the thin crust and I'll add veggies to it. It will also be the first day without a workout. After today though its back to it. I see no problem getting in a long workout Saturday and then playing hockey Sunday morning. 

Also I think I'm going to add a side quest because I started tracking Push-ups. My plan is to try and get 1400 pushups before this is over. I think it's achievable, that's 50 a day.

Progress:

1. 110 / 840 Workout minutes

2. 370 / 2800 ounces Water

3. 7 Healthy : 0 Unhealthy meals

Side Quest 

• 245 / 1400 Pushups
  • Like 3
On 12/1/2017 at 5:51 PM, Raxie said:

Nice job on no unhealthy meals yet!

Thank you.

Unfortunately that came to an end this weekend. I'm not too upset about it though. There were many opportunities this weekend to let things get out of hand but I kept it to a minimum. Luckily we did plan out this coming week for most our meals so I should be all set for getting my ratio back up. Water was difficult to drink the necessary amount over the weekend due to being out or doing things all day but I tried my best. Workout minutes I did well. I played hockey on Sunday morning for 90 minutes and then we took the dog for a walk on a path and found that the company that owns the property added fitness stations along the path. It was a lot of fun to do them and now we have a place to go outside and work out if we want to.  I will work on the push-ups tonight when I do my chest and back workout. 

Progress:

1. 230 / 840 Workout minutes

2. 550 / 2800 ounces Water

3. 10 Healthy : 2 Unhealthy meals

Side Quest 

• 245 / 1400 Pushups

• Like 3

Alright so summary of this challenge,

First week was great. I was hitting all the goals I set and was feeling good about completing the challenge. 

Second week started off great and was just like the first, until some unexpected events happened. A family member was unexpectedly having some health issues and was in the hospital for a little over a week. That added with getting things finished at work and getting ready for the holidays put a lot more stress into December. Just when we thought all the surprises were over, our dog got into ibuprofen and had to be admitted to the vet. Luckily everyone is back home, but because of these distractions I stopped recording what I was doing. I was still doing my best to get workouts in and try to eat healthy.

Progress: When I stopped keeping track.

1. 410 / 840 Workout minutes

2. 1050 / 2800 ounces Water

3. 7 Healthy : 1 Unhealthy meals

Side Quest 

• 650 / 1400 Push-ups

If I go by these numbers I failed this challenge real bad. If I had kept recording what I had been doing my guess is that I would have been very close if not completed the workout minutes, the water would be completed, and the healthy meals ratio would have been at about 4 / 1 because of getting meals whenever I could and the meal prep being thrown off. Push-ups for the side quest I am pretty certain I would be close to around 1100. But all of this doesn't count because I didn't record it. 

Overall I am calling this challenge rather than a fail, a practice. My plan is to start another one with just about the same goals, maybe tweaked a little bit, and do a better job recording and meal prepping. 

Thanks to everyone for the support.