20th Day Walking Challenge (Dec 5 - Jan 13)

Unless you grew up in Sweden or Finland, you may not be familiar with the significance of January 13th. That day is Tjugondag Knut, with translates into Twentieth Day of St Knut, more or less. In the aforementioned countries, Twentieth Day Knut, is when Christmas officially ends. Christmas trees, decorations, food, et cetera must all go away before this day, or at the very least on this day. (This is of course used as an excuse to throw a big party with lots of good food.)

3315541855_081efa642a_b-e1356917088761.j

In anticipation of all the marvelous holiday events we are about to enjoy, I hereby formally announce the Twentieth Day Walking Challenge. It begins on December 5th, the very first Monday of the month of December, and continues until January 13th. This means the maximum number of days for anyone who joins before the challenge starts, is 40 days of walking.

To avoid confusion later on, here is the small number of simple rules all challengers who join will be expected to follow:

1. A walk is at least 10 minutes long. Feel free to go for longer, but you need to be up and moving around for at least ten minutes in a row. Walking for five minutes, taking a break and then walking for five more minutes, does not count as a walk for the purposes of this challenge.
  2. Only walking counts. Running, cycling, swimming, rollerblading, crawling, riding your combat trained mastiff into battle, or belly dancing for ten minutes, are all great things. However, doing any one of them will not give you credit towards this challenge.
  3. Walking twice tomorrow won't make up for a missed walk today. We're counting the number of days we get at least one walk done, not the number of walks we can fit in before the challenge ends.
  4. If you don't get a walk in during the day, you have to come here and tell everyone why. This is a very important rule. Equally important: No one is gong to mock you or be mean to you, no matter what the reason is. Challenging each other in PvP doesn't mean we are going to be jerks to each other about it. We're going to hold each other accountable, but we'll do it respectfully.

To join the challenge, sign up on this spread sheet.

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

Unless you grew up in Sweden or Finland, you may not be familiar with the significance of January 13th. That day is Tjugondag Knut, with translates into Twentieth Day of St Knut, more or less. In the aforementioned countries, Twentieth Day Knut, is when Christmas officially ends. Christmas trees, decorations, food, et cetera must all go away before this day, or at the very least on this day. (This is of course used as an excuse to throw a big party with lots of good food.)

3315541855_081efa642a_b-e1356917088761.jpg

In anticipation of all the marvelous holiday events we are about to enjoy, I hereby formally announce the Twentieth Day Walking Challenge. It begins on December 5th, the very first Monday of the month of December, and continues until January 13th. This means the maximum number of days for anyone who joins before the challenge starts, is 40 days of walking.

To avoid confusion later on, here is the small number of simple rules all challengers who join will be expected to follow:  
  1. A walk is at least 10 minutes long. Feel free to go for longer, but you need to be up and moving around for at least ten minutes in a row. Walking for five minutes, taking a break and then walking for five more minutes, does not count as a walk for the purposes of this challenge.
  2. Only walking counts. Running, cycling, swimming, rollerblading, crawling, riding your combat trained mastiff into battle, or belly dancing for ten minutes, are all great things. However, doing any one of them will not give you credit towards this challenge.
  3. Walking twice tomorrow won't make up for a missed walk today. We're counting the number of days we get at least one walk done, not the number of walks we can fit in before the challenge ends.
  4. If you don't get a walk in during the day, you have to come here and tell everyone why. This is a very important rule. Equally important: No one is gong to mock you or be mean to you, no matter what the reason is. Challenging each other in PvP doesn't mean we are going to be jerks to each other about it. We're going to hold each other accountable, but we'll do it respectfully.

To join the challenge, sign up on this Google Doc spread sheet. This is where we will track our progress.

Thanks for setting this one up!
I'm in, but the spreadsheet seems to require access...

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Ooops, my bad.

It should work now.

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

I am learning why I should not try to fix things before morning coffee.

Last attempt to fix it! If this doesn't work I'm deleting the sheet and creating a new one. Thanks for being patient!

No worries. I can't get to my Google Docs from work, but when I get home tonight I will dig into this and figure out a way to make it work!

One more time... pleaseworkthistimepleaseworkthistimepleaseworkthistime!

I am so doing thisgiphy.gif

So, not counting STEPs on the walk, just the fact that we do/don't walk correct?

On 11/29/2017 at 1:56 AM, Diadhuit said:

riding your combat trained mastiff into battle

canine%20armor.jpg?height=309&width=400sorry fluffers...no riding this time...I so want a combat trained mastiff, lets make them a thing

• Like 1

Fitbit username: farflight   (would love to have more people on there)

Getting life in order is a challenge worth doing.

Happiness is the journey, not the destination (took me forever to learn that)

Correct. Walk for at least ten minutes, and you get a day.

And combat trained mastiffs are a thing, if you play D&D at least. They're the cheapest and easiest way for Halflings to travel at the same speed as the elves/humans/half-orcs in the group. And being mounted has all sorts of cool advantages in fights, especially if you're on a mount that also can fight... like a mastiff.

5789666_orig.png

• Like 1

These last messages makes me think: do you ever find walking boring?
I do walk from and to work, around 3.5km each way, and I don't mind it much because I have a goal, I see the same people walking the opposite direction, I listen to music or I talk on the phone with Mom and I have breakfast all at the same time.
During weekends I struggle in putting together 10 minutes if I have nowhere to go, not because of weather or tiredness, but for my two big diseases: heavy arseholedness and boredom.
I tried to listen to audiobooks, maybe I didn't find the right one...
Sometimes I narrate a story to myself, usually that I am a hero in a post-apocalictic world.
What do you do?

On weekdays I walk in the morning when its dark and few people out, so I pay attention to my surroundings. Basic personal safety and all that.

On weekends I walk mid-morning when there's sun and people all over the park, so I people watch. I listen to Zombies! Run sometimes, or I turn over puzzles and figure out stories in my mind.

Have you tried the zombierun app? It's a radio theater that makes you the hero in a post-apocalyptic world....

On weekdays I walk in the morning when its dark and few people out, so I pay attention to my surroundings. Basic personal safety and all that.

On weekends I walk mid-morning when there's sun and people all over the park, so I people watch. I listen to Zombies! Run sometimes, or I turn over puzzles and figure out stories in my mind.

Have you tried the zombierun app? It's a radio theater that makes you the hero in a post-apocalyptic world....
I am still finishing up the walk (from the same company) and I find it quite off. I did use zr c25k when I started running but since I can't run yet (got a broken leg and then collapsed, both times unrelated but when I started my running trainig) I don't want to spoil the fun until I start running again, but I need to strengten the core first!

I haven't tried The Walk myself. Looking at it, I might be interested if I didn't already have the zombies. Since ZR doesn't actually require you to run, I occasionally use that for my walk, especially at the gym where it's way more boring to walk than outdoors.

I tend to walk at night, I live a little outside the light pollution of Memphis and can see a lot of stars. I look around the neighborhood and just appreciate whats going on around me (counting bats in the spring summer, when it isn't dark at 4 fucking 30. Look for shooting stars, mess with this thing)

Also, just wander around, take different turns, see different parts of neighborhood that I don't from my car windows. And move as fast as possible

I tend to walk at night, I live a little outside the light pollution of Memphis and can see a lot of stars. I look around the neighborhood and just appreciate whats going on around me (counting bats in the spring summer, when it isn't dark at 4 fucking 30. Look for shooting stars, mess with this thing)

Also, just wander around, take different turns, see different parts of neighborhood that I don't from my car windows. And move as fast as possible
Awww, so cute!
I wish I had a dog, or a boyfriend, or a walking mate of any kind (err, yeah, the fact that I don't care is telling, the fact is not being unnoticed)
I think I have got to a walking enjoyment plateaux a bit...
I have seen you started counting the walks already, so I updated the sheet for me too :)

The challenge technically doesn't start until Tuesday, but if you want to start early, certainly no one is going to stop you.

However, if you do start early, you will be required to update your Max Number of Days to reflect the additional days you are walking. Just to keep it fair.

Yea, after I updated my 2 walks thus far, I realized it started like mid week, deleted my original entries

No trying to cheat

I missed walking yesterday, the first day of the challenge. I have notated that on the sheet since I don't trust myself to remember three weeks from now. This is just for me, it's not a requirement for anyone else.

Yesterday I woke up with a scratchy achy throat, stabbing pain in the back of my nose and lower sinuses, and frequent chills through the morning. Yay, winter cold! I loaded upon herbal remedies and stayed inside the warm house all day long. No walk at the gym either,though I did get a short workout in and that felt great.

Still fighting off the cold this morning, but I am feeling much better and just came back from my walk. 

54 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Yesterday I woke up with a scratchy achy throat, stabbing pain in the back of my nose and lower sinuses, and frequent chills through the morning. Yay, winter cold!

Throat coat tea with a healthy splash of lemon will help massively. The tea itself will help the throat and the lemon in the hot water seems to moisten my sinus (top rear of mouth cavity area).

Got my walk in last night (yea first day of PVP and I got it in). 40 degrees air temp....

first mile...

FxJvk.jpg

after the big ascot hill a mile in...

image.png.dd5f93e573b3f8ae1aaf9e75a53a5ce0.pngtumblr_nvn5v830Ki1rfd7lko1_500.gif

Feel better scaly!

image.png

15 minutes ago, farflight said:

Got my walk in last night (yea first day of PVP and I got it in). 40 degrees air temp....

It was 25 F here this morning. I win! :triumphant:

And I typically do pepper mint tea with lots of honey, or just hot water with honey and lemon. Sipping it right now, as a matter of fact :)