Talos Makes Some Upgrades

Talos

man-working-in-his-shop.jpg

Hey y'all! I'm back after (another) hiatus. 

The short story:

I had a year-long internship that was pretty rough in a lot of ways (you can read the sordid story of how I used my challenge back in January to help survive a bad several months' worth of depression), and went until I returned to my grad program this past August. I took a shot at getting another challenge going after that, but I didn't really have the mental or emotional steam to do another once my life had started to get more normal again. 
August, I made it back to school. I'd been exercising a bit throughout the year, although not staying in the greatest shape in the world - eating well most of the time, but generally just staying at basic running fitness, and going for pretty regular short hikes. Transitioning back into classes (and city life here in DC), I dropped most of that for about the first half of this semester.

The damage of that inactivity added up pretty fast. I knew I needed to draw a line when I was feeling sore and uncomfortable literally just trying to sleep - I'd been sitting around for lectures and work so much that I was just that stiff. So I finally managed to slowly start some activity again - doing stretching and mobility a la Gymnastic Strength Training, and building my old running routine back in.

Some weeks back, I think I hit a tipping point where, for whatever reason, I just decided I was tired of the mediocrity. I've had a lot of fun with athletics, and obstacle racing in particular, so I've decided to take that to the next level. In the past, I always did best when I could shoot for a milestone, and now the milestones are getting a bit scary... for example, in terms of straight-up mileage, the only main race length I haven't done yet is a full marathon (I did the Rock N Roll Half Marathon two years ago), and I've enjoyed two Tough Mudders. At this point, I'd rather seriously commit and see if I can survive something really intense, and get in really good shape for it, instead of just muddling along like I've been doing for months now.

In sum, I have two major athletic goals that I legitimately intend to accomplish in 2018, barring serious injury or life crises:

- Run the Rock N' Roll Marathon in March.

- Complete a Spartan Race Trifecta (all three main lengths of their obstacle race series). I haven't done any of these yet, but I know they'll push me to a much higher level of overall fitness and strength. The one I've really got my eye on is the Colorado Rockies Beast, a half-marathon-length obstacle race at high elevation in the mountains. (Yikes!) The races I have in mind start in June.

Basically, any challenges I do in the next year will probably be working toward these goals in different ways, but having the accountability of this community again would be awesome. Also, since this is going to take me out of the pure running world and into a lot of strength and crosstraining, who better to have along for the ride than the Rangers? :)

(I thought of Iron Man for this challenge because he kind of reminds me of how I think of obstacles in general - with enough forethought, planning, and preparation, you don't have to have superpowers to overcome a difficult task!)

ironman3armor.jpg?token=aQW4natOp3nTkoPd

All that being said, here are my main goals - keeping in mind that this month's challenge will be going right up through Christmas break:

- Run! Run faster!: Running's a big part of my workout plan (really the main part right now). Goal is to get two short runs and one long training run done each week. No excuses.

- Throwing my weight around: I'm just starting to work in some strength and bodyweight exercises as part of the exercise regime. Goal here will be two workouts of some kind in addition to the runs, always including a stretch/warmup and probably with a lot of Gymnastic Strength Training-type exercises. I might work in more Spartan-specific exercises as time goes on.

- Diet: I'm really struggling with the food situation I'm in right now. I've got a mandatory meal plan as part of my program, and it's compounded by the fact that I have several mild allergies (and pretty serious gluten intolerance) that make it very hard to eat a balanced meal AND not get sick trying to eat the food here. Oh, and the dining hall people have zero clue about how allergen awareness actually works, so that isn't helping. My goal is to basically make it through five days a week having definitely avoided anything that would make me any sicker...

This will probably be one of the hardest goals, honestly.

- Pass my classes?: Oh yeah, and for half of this challenge I'll be doing final papers and exams. Yay? I guess I should try and make sure those get done... :P 

Here we go! (And thanks for stopping by.)

• Like 4

Level 6 Demon Hunter, Novice Troubadour

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

Previous challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

(For the intrigued, I'll be happy to post more gritty details on workouts or all the above. The post was getting kinda long, though... :P )

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."

Glad to see you back, Talos!
How are you faring on your goal meeting this week?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

1 hour ago, darkfoxx said:

Glad to see you back, Talos!
How are you faring on your goal meeting this week?

Pretty good so far! All on track for workouts - got my bodyweight upper body workout in yesterday afternoon. Lots of mobility work, stretches, and some hang/grip training. It's entertaining doing these funny-looking back stretches near the guys slinging dumbbells around.

Today, off to a good start with my pre-dawn short run (2 miles). Only downside to that is that it's getting kinda cold outside!

• Like 3

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

12 hours ago, Talos said:

who better to have along for the ride than the Rangers?

Damn straight, Talos :) Welcome back!

Complete a Spartan Race Trifecta (all three main lengths of their obstacle race series). I haven't done any of these yet, but I know they'll push me to a much higher level of overall fitness and strength. The one I've really got my eye on is the Colorado Rockies Beast, a half-marathon-length obstacle race at high elevation in the mountains. (Yikes!) The races I have in mind start in June.

There's a TON of Rangers on here who run Spartans like it's their job: @EricMN, @Charlie_Quinn, @jonfirestar and countless others. I myself have run the Spartan Beast down here where I'm at (Texas) and loved it. I actually got to run it with EricMN because he travels to run the Spartans. With that being said, you have a multitude of people that can help guide you in your training journey to hit the Trifecta so don't hesitate to reach out :) 

The Colorado Beast sounds like a blast! I would run that one 100% because a mountain run sounds like my kind of torture fun.

My goal is to basically make it through five days a week having definitely avoided anything that would make me any sicker...

This will probably be one of the hardest goals, honestly.

Being aware of what you CAN/CANNOT eat is huge. Knowledge is power there. Would you have the time/money to batch cook on the weekend, maybe? Whenever you cook your meals, YOU have control over the ingredients, which inadvertently makes eating easier because you're not stressed about gluten or any other food allergy. 

14 minutes ago, Talos said:

Only downside to that is that it's getting kinda cold outside!

The downside to winter running :( I think for me, keeping my ears and hands warm were key to a successful run in the cold. Good job on the run!

Wolf

• Like 4

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

22 minutes ago, Wild Wolf said:

There's a TON of Rangers on here who run Spartans like it's their job: @EricMN, @Charlie_Quinn, @jonfirestar and countless others. I myself have run the Spartan Beast down here where I'm at (Texas) and loved it. I actually got to run it with EricMN because he travels to run the Spartans. With that being said, you have a multitude of people that can help guide you in your training journey to hit the Trifecta so don't hesitate to reach out :) 

Being aware of what you CAN/CANNOT eat is huge. Knowledge is power there. Would you have the time/money to batch cook on the weekend, maybe? Whenever you cook your meals, YOU have control over the ingredients, which inadvertently makes eating easier because you're not stressed about gluten or any other food allergy. 

Well, that's awesome to know. I'll have to connect with some of them ASAP. I always end up running these things solo because all of my friends think I'm nuts when I ask them to sign up with me...!

Re: the batch cooking, that's an interesting idea. Where I'm at I don't have a kitchen per se, but I do have a small crock pot setup. What might be a possibility is batch cooking a handful of meals for just the situations (especially lunches) where a healthy meal is harder to come by. That'd probably help the situation a lot.

• Like 5

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

1 hour ago, Wild Wolf said:

There's a TON of Rangers on here who run Spartans like it's their job: @EricMN, @Charlie_Quinn, @jonfirestar and countless others.

That's esteemed company you put me in there Wolfie! I've not got a hair on the number of races that CQ and Eric have done. Nonetheless I have done Spartan races and they are an incredible amount of fun :D

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

@Talos: crock pot batch cooking it the absolute best!

Chili is always super easy; a big hunk of meat you can dress up a bunch of different ways is always good to have on hand as well.

You’d be surprised what you can get done with a crock pot and little else.

Tons, that’s what. :)

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

58 minutes ago, darkfoxx said:

Chili is always super easy; a big hunk of meat you can dress up a bunch of different ways is always good to have on hand as well.

Oh man... this is making me hungry. Got any good chili recipes? I'm pretty tempted to try this.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

18 hours ago, Talos said:

Complete a Spartan Race Trifecta (all three main lengths of their obstacle race series). I haven't done any of these yet, but I know they'll push me to a much higher level of overall fitness and strength. The one I've really got my eye on is the Colorado Rockies Beast, a half-marathon-length obstacle race at high elevation in the mountains. (Yikes!) The races I have in mind start in June.

6 hours ago, Wild Wolf said:

The Colorado Beast sounds like a blast! I would run that one 100% because a mountain run sounds like my kind of torture fun.

I did the Colorado Beast in 2016 as part of my 5x Trifecta. The hardest thing - by far - about the whole thing was the elevation; the start and finish line are above 9,000 feet and the course went up to 11,000 feet. I was out of breath just walking the hundred yards from the hotel to the starting line. Other than that, it was gorgeous but not too rugged a course, especially for a mountain course, because the resort didn't allow the course designers to do any bushwhacking. I'd gladly do it again someday. Probably after I forget how bad hypoxia sucks.

Post those workouts, I love details.

• Like 2

Jedi Knight - Current ChallengeBattle Log - Epic Quest

3 hours ago, EricMN said:

I did the Colorado Beast in 2016 as part of my 5x Trifecta. The hardest thing - by far - about the whole thing was the elevation; the start and finish line are above 9,000 feet and the course went up to 11,000 feet.

5x? Sheesh, dude.

I actually visited Breckenridge back in 2013 for about a week and a half to do some mountain hiking. You're right about that elevation - it was brutal for a couple days just walking around town, to say nothing of actual exercise. My hope is to go up a few days early for a similar sort of family vacation time and get acclimated, hopefully die a little less on the course.

• Like 1

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

42 minutes ago, Treva said:

YOOO!!!! how awesome!!! go you I am so here for this!

You da best. Thanks, friend.

General observation: I've been in pretty serious run/mobility training mode for about a month, and if there's one change I'm noticing, it's that I'm frigging hungry all the time now.

Guess I should find some more protein or something?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Update: I have chili ingredients! Hoping to make it tomorrow to prep for the week. I'll be really busy for a few days handling end-of-semester papers, etc., so that'll hopefully go a bit toward keeping me healthy.

Today and yesterday have been my obligatory rest days off from running. I've been hesitant to do another core/upper body workout because Wednesday's back/arm exercises have left me with some significant elbow joint soreness that suggests I was probably overtraining a bit, especially since I hadn't been doing so much strength work for several months at least. I guess that's a sign I should ease into that side of the program more carefully.

In other race prep news, I hit up the local REI garage sale today, and got a pair of trail running shoes (La Sportiva Wildcats) $80 off; they'd been returned for what was basically cosmetic damage. Those should come in handy soon...

Also, snagged some baselayers and a new pack for upcoming backpacking trips! Pretty excited about all of that.

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

I'm happy to report that I managed to get out for my long run this afternoon! Blocking out time on the weekends is always the biggest hurdle, but it's key for the training... I'm zonked out now, but the run felt lovely throughout. High point: running through DC's National Mall and seeing the sunset behind the Washington Monument. Gorgeous.

Deets for the interested:

- I'm following Jeff Galloway's recommended method of building mileage and overall endurance by doing weekly long runs at a slow pace, with occasional walking breaks. I had a lot of success using this to build up to my half marathon in 2015, although I'm doing more mobility work on the side, and will probably continue to (slowly) add some strength and speed training around it once I'm up to my desired mileage (marathon length for March, and hoping to maintain a bit under that distance going into the Spartans later in the year).

- Today's run, imprecisely estimated, was 9 miles in 1:36, give or take. Including time lost on walk breaks and standing around at street crossings, averaging a bit over a 10-minute mile at the moment. As tired as I am once the run's over, I still usually feel like I have some energy left in the tank if I'd really needed to keep going.

Also, my quads have graduated to "pleasantly firm". Thanks, Capitol Hill. :D 

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

by doing weekly long runs at a slow pace,

So long as you have a nice place to run, long slow runs are the best!

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I made the chili!

cNsokrf.jpg?1

It's not terribly glamorous as meals go, but that's because I literally made the thing in my room with a pocketknife, paper towels, a half-broken can opener, and miniature crockpot. A fully stocked kitchenette this is not.

That being said, it's pretty dang tasty anyway. I'm dubbing it Fox Chili in your honor, @darkfoxx.

Other news: I think part of the reason I've had allergen trouble is because the dining hall we have all our meals in is using some cheap soybean oil/olive oil mix to fry up all the fried foods, and I think they're not very careful about how they handle cross-contamination with a lot of the cooking surfaces, either. So I'm making some progress at not getting sick, but it's still an uphill battle.

For various reasons, didn't get out to run this morning, but I have lots of free time tomorrow, so I'll move my schedule forward and the rest of my workouts in Wed-Sat, instead of Tue-Fri like I normally would. Having the rest day probably didn't hurt anything.

• Like 4

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge

W00T!! Way to go and I love it! 🦊 chili sounds fantastic!

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

How did the rest of the week go? Did you end up hitting your goals?

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

That's a mighty fine looking chili 

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Hey squad! Sorry for the radio silence - had to go undercover for a few days to finish those exams. All is well; longer updates to come soon.

• Like 2

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Current Challenge