40 lbs overweight. History of ADHD. Liberal Arts Grad. Pharmacy Tech. Wants to join Navy.

I have lots of good reasons to go into the Navy: I want to see the world, I want to be able to call myself a veteran, I want to get an edge applying for federal jobs, and I want help paying for a masters of social work and to take spanish classes. I've been a retail pharmacy tech for 5 years and have grown to really, really, REALLY hate the field, mostly because of the poor pay and instability. Things will be running smoothly, then all of the sudden, I'll get cut to 10 hours a week and I have to job hop. I often work clopenings, so I get anywhere from only 2 to 12 hours a sleep in a night and I have a big belly because I live on fast food and comfort eat a lot. I've recently cut out sugary drinks from my orders, but I still have a fast-food diet because I never have the time or energy to cook. I'm 40 pounds overweight and am not sure where to start, but I know I need to meet all requirements for a medical waiver to even be considered for the military, especially a selective branch like the Navy or Air Force. Army isn't out of the question, but I am drawn to the Navy and Air Force first, and especially the Navy. My mother had me on ADHD medicine and antidepressants as a teenager, and I'm paranoid that if I lie about that, I'll be caught, but I also know I'll need approved for a waiver if I disclose that information about me. I'd really like to lose 40 pounds in 4 months, and be passing at least the minimums expected for Navy boot camp, but the better I can be, the better chance I'll have of getting a waiver. As for a class, I think either Ranger or Scout lends itself to the workouts I'll need to increase my strength and endurance, but moreso endurance. If there is any other information I left out, I'll be glad to fill you in if I ask. I'm glad to be here, and hopefully, I can get out of this career field I hate and into something better.

(In case anybody is wondering, I am a man.)

• Like 4

Welcome. Army for 5 years. I'm about to hit my mark next year when they can't call me back in anymore.

Your job sounds stressful. I know a flight attendant who has to be able to hop on a plane at the drop of a hat, so she hasn't been able to follow set workout programs and we have to adjust to her schedule a week at a time. But hey, when you do make it into the military you'll be used to being adaptable, right?

Have you taken an ASVAB and talked to any recruiters yet?

• Like 1

Yes, I have. I made a 70 on the ASVAB, and I've seen the Navy and Army recruiters. The Air Force guy is never there, so I still haven't seen him after planning this several months. My goal is to get down to 170.

When it comes to adaptability, I can say that getting in shape while working with this job will definately require that. I've had my first real day off in a while since I've been a full time college student on a 4-year scholarship, and I basically wasted half the day. Instead of doing fast food today, I ate 4 boiled eggs and a pickle. I've never cooked before so I will probably just be eating healthier fast food like salads with unsweet tea, but yeah, I still don't have a firm idea of what I'm going to do, which is why I'm on this site, basically.

Are there exercise tips on this site for beginners?

54 minutes ago, Machete said:

Welcome. Army for 5 years. I'm about to hit my mark next year when they can't call me back in anymore.

Your job sounds stressful. I know a flight attendant who has to be able to hop on a plane at the drop of a hat, so she hasn't been able to follow set workout programs and we have to adjust to her schedule a week at a time. But hey, when you do make it into the military you'll be used to being adaptable, right?

Have you taken an ASVAB and talked to any recruiters yet?

See the post above this post.

Welcome and good luck! Your schedule does sound pretty hectic, but I imagine Machete is right and that kind of crazy adaptation would be valuable in the service.

I had tried to go into the navy myself, but couldn't on account of unfortunately placed tattoos :\

As for helpful posts, I found this post pretty helpful when I starting out https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/get-in-shape/

And this introduction to strength training https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/strength-training-101-where-do-i-start/

which had a link to this beginner body weight routine https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Mrs. Nomar, level 1 Dwarf. Assassin (with monkish tendencies)
STR 2|DEX 0|STA 1|CON 2|WIS 3|CHA 2

19 hours ago, Logan Ian Byrd said:

Yes, I have. I made a 70 on the ASVAB, and I've seen the Navy and Army recruiters. The Air Force guy is never there, so I still haven't seen him after planning this several months. My goal is to get down to 170.

When it comes to adaptability, I can say that getting in shape while working with this job will definately require that. I've had my first real day off in a while since I've been a full time college student on a 4-year scholarship, and I basically wasted half the day. Instead of doing fast food today, I ate 4 boiled eggs and a pickle. I've never cooked before so I will probably just be eating healthier fast food like salads with unsweet tea, but yeah, I still don't have a firm idea of what I'm going to do, which is why I'm on this site, basically.

Are there exercise tips on this site for beginners?

Damn Air Force guys...

Recruiters should put up plans to help you to get in and check in on you every now and then. My old recruitment station had a PT program and events that we went to. I don't know the current state of fitness testing, but I would say being 170 would make it much easier for you to pass it. If anything you'll probably lose a lot of excess weight in Boot Camp.

Yes, this place is like a buffet. You have to find what you like and try not to be distracted by all the other stuff.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Rebellion, @Logan Ian Byrd! The links that @Alis in Abernathy shared are just what I was going to hunt up for you - depending on your fitness level, you can start with one set of the Beginner Bodyweight Workout, or however many you're comfortable with, and add sets as you get stronger. It's a good allover workout and great for getting started!  :) 

On 12/5/2017 at 12:00 AM, Logan Ian Byrd said:

As for a class, I think either Ranger or Scout lends itself to the workouts I'll need to increase my strength and endurance, but moreso endurance.

I'm biased, of course, but I think the Ranger corps is a great place for people who want to join the military!  :)  Rangers walk; we run; we lift; we swim; we do yoga; we do archery; we do rings; we hike; we ride horses ... you name it, there's a Ranger who does it! I'm so excited to have you join us for our next challenge - feel free to come peruse some of our threads if you'd like to see what we're up to!  :) 

• Like 2

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

On 12/7/2017 at 11:11 PM, SkyGirl said:

Welcome to the Rebellion, @Logan Ian Byrd! The links that @Alis in Abernathy shared are just what I was going to hunt up for you - depending on your fitness level, you can start with one set of the Beginner Bodyweight Workout, or however many you're comfortable with, and add sets as you get stronger. It's a good allover workout and great for getting started!  :) 

I'm biased, of course, but I think the Ranger corps is a great place for people who want to join the military!  :)  Rangers walk; we run; we lift; we swim; we do yoga; we do archery; we do rings; we hike; we ride horses ... you name it, there's a Ranger who does it! I'm so excited to have you join us for our next challenge - feel free to come peruse some of our threads if you'd like to see what we're up to!  :) 

Honestly, I am at the very beginning fitness-wise. I get shin-splints when I run, and my cardio health is crap. I suspect losing weight will help with both. Also, I can do incline pushups on a chair, but anything lower is too hard for me. Then there are situps. I can crank out 20-24 in a minute depending on how hard I push myself, but even with unlimited time, I can never go past 24.

46 minutes ago, Logan Ian Byrd said:

Honestly, I am at the very beginning fitness-wise. I get shin-splints when I run, and my cardio health is crap. I suspect losing weight will help with both. Also, I can do incline pushups on a chair, but anything lower is too hard for me. Then there are situps. I can crank out 20-24 in a minute depending on how hard I push myself, but even with unlimited time, I can never go past 24.

It doesn't matter where we start - only where we go.  :)  I would guess that the majority of us began our journeys at pretty low levels of fitness - I know I certainly did. And I still have a long way to go (I can only run 2 laps at the gym, and that's on a good day; I can only do knee push-ups; I can only do 10 situps at a time). 

We're all learning and growing, and that's why we're here. I'm glad you're here and I'm excited to follow along on your journey!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

15 Year Army and Army Reservist here.

40 lbs in 4 months is doable. Work with your recruiter to make it happen. I personally have had success following a keto diet to make my semi-annual weigh ins, but I know people who it doesn't help at all. Its all about finding what works for you. While you are working on your weight loss, I recommend looking into the Physical Training standards of the branch you're going to join.

Before I joined the Army, I knew that I had to do 45 push ups, 50-something sit ups, and run 2 miles in 15 minutes. That is what I focused my training on, and if you do that you'll get the added benefit of physically and mentally preparing for the requirements of your service. 

• Like 1

Welcome and good luck! You can totally lose 40 lbs in that time frame...if you make a great plan and stick with it. I'd advise figuring out your diet. You can't out train a crap diet. Undereating isn't any better than overeating junk food. You got to feed your muscles! Nerdfitness has plenty of great articles about it. So, help yourself...look around, ask questions. This place is really supportive. For a busy life, I find that meal prep on the weekends has helped me A LOT. I just grab something from the fridge and I'm good to go.

Character | Twitter | IG

"The brave men did not kill dragons. The brave men rode them." - GoT

Welcome friend, I've got faith in you, just keep consistent in your training, and do as much as your situation allows for diet. I know I'm blessed with a lot of cooking experience  (pm if I can help like, at all with that) and it's tough otherwise . I went kinda nuts with full paleo when I started my usmc officer training and that worked well for me. Really it's a matter of finding what works and sticking with it. Keep your chin up and I'm rootin for ya.