• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Logan Ian Byrd

How do you even start?

I really don't have time to cook with my busy retail pharmacy job (that constantly changes my work schedule) and also don't know how to cook beyond using a microwave, but I think I'll be safe if I just eat fast food salads every meal. Burger King has tasty salads, and without the dressing, I can eat 3 of those per day without exceeding 1500 calories per day. The problem with that is I still feel hungry, even though I'm pretty sure that is a calorie deficit (for a male) of about 500 calories. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by May, 2018, so I'll only be 170 pounds and thus thin enough to get in the Navy. When doing the fitness test for Navy, I can't do a real push up, can only do about 20 situps before muscle failure, abd though I can walk slowly indefinately, if I run more than 5 seconds at a time, it feels like my heart is going to explode.

So my question, which is really 2 questions, is how do I start seriously exercising to be able to pass Navy fitness requirements, and is 1500 calories enough of a deficit for a 5'9" 210 lb man to lose 40 pounds in 5 months?

• Like 1

I really don't have time to cook with my busy retail pharmacy job (that constantly changes my work schedule) and also don't know how to cook beyond using a microwave, but I think I'll be safe if I just eat fast food salads every meal. Burger King has tasty salads, and without the dressing, I can eat 3 of those per day without exceeding 1500 calories per day. The problem with that is I still feel hungry, even though I'm pretty sure that is a calorie deficit (for a male) of about 500 calories. My goal is to lose 40 pounds by May, 2018, so I'll only be 170 pounds and thus thin enough to get in the Navy. When doing the fitness test for Navy, I can't do a real push up, can only do about 20 situps before muscle failure, abd though I can walk slowly indefinately, if I run more than 5 seconds at a time, it feels like my heart is going to explode.

So my question, which is really 2 questions, is how do I start seriously exercising to be able to pass Navy fitness requirements, and is 1500 calories enough of a deficit for a 5'9" 210 lb man to lose 40 pounds in 5 months?
I don't really know how to answer your questions, but sometimes Fast food salads are not that light as they seem unfortunately.
There is a tip if you have a microwave: frozen vegetables. They are cheap and cook in 3-6 minutes retaining vitamines. I then add some seeds and ta-da! a side is ready.
If you want a full meal, same thing and add a cup of mince meat, but cook 5 mins on the hob (I don't trust microwaves for it)

In general healthy weight loss is considered to be max 2lbs per week.

5 months = 20 weeks x 2lbs = 40lbs

Generally 1 lbs of fat is considered to be 3500 calories.

that means each week you need to eat 3500 calories less than your maintenance(what you would eat to stay the same) or 500 cals deficit per day.

in order to lose 2lbs you need to eat 7000 less per week or 1000 less per day.

keep in mind that excersise adds to your deficit as it burns calories.

as far as push ups go, I started this year in March not being able to do real push-ups.

i started at incline push ups. You can progress yourself and make them as easy as you need to.

super weak start with standing push-ups against a wall.

too easy move to something lower like a counter top, then to a chair, finally to the floor.

make sure to check out the nerdfitness YouTube for their push-up tutorial about proper form.

I’m no super wiz cook myself.

currently I shoot for 2200 cals per day.I generally eat the same thing every day during the day and vary my dinners.

my day looks like this.

Breakfast:

3 eggs

1 serving oatmeal, 1 serving bran cereal, 1 scoop protein powder

coffee.

Lunch

2 servings Greek yogurt, 1 serving oats, 1 serving protein powder

snacks

apple

banana

2 servings almonds

this usually leaves me 700-600 cals to play with for dinner and after work snacks.

i eat most of

my veggies for the day at dinner and make sure I get a good protein for dinner.

Okay, some tough love.

11 hours ago, Logan Ian Byrd said:

You have time, even with your retail pharmacy schedule.  Cooking for you is just not a priority.  There are plenty of retail pharmacists who can cook.  I know a lot of them.  There are very, VERY few people who can claim no time is available.  Your timetable may not be the same because you have a rotating schedule and shift work, but the time is there if you organize yourself enough.  Assuming you work 55 hours a week, and sleep 8 hours a night, you STILL have 57 hours of time unaccounted for though the week, which is 8 hours a day.  More than enough time for training and cooking.

Also, cooking is a skill.  You need to invest some energy to get better at it.  And really, it's not that hard to do run-of-the-mill, I-just-need-to-eat food.  We're not talking Iron Chef, just regular chow.  Find a marinade you like, soak some meat in it, toss it in the oven at 425F for 45 minutes to an hour.  Boom - cooked food.  A few sides (microwaved sweet potato and steamed veggies are my go-to choices), and you have a complete meal.  You need to eat for the rest of your life.  You may as well invest some points towards at least making food you enjoy.

Fast food salads are pretty terrible.  Some are okay, but really most are higher in calories than you'd expect, and that's typically BEFORE dressing is added.  And from a non-calorie stand point, that is a lot of money wasted when you could construct better, cheaper salads buying ingredients yourself.

As for TDEE calculations, assuming a male of your size and age, your rate is ~2300 calories per day assuming a sedentary life style.  A 1500 calorie a day limit is almost a 1,000 calorie deficit, which if maintained can lose you about two pounds a week, and a life sentence in jail when your hanger makes you murder everyone around you.  You're better eating about 1900 calories a day for a few weeks and seeing what happens.  Also, start counting all your calories, because trying to guess if you were close enough isn't going to work.

As for military prep, I'm sure that there are more than a few programs out there for preparing people.  I'm going to say find one, and just go for it, since you sound to be starting from the bottom.  Anything will prepare you.  I'm also tagging @Machete because I'm sure he has some military-prep advice, having gone through that before.  If you want to start, the NF Blog has an excellent beginner bodyweight workout and advanced workout that I used a whole bunch when I first started.  Those circuits will take you a long ways.

Good luck.  Take it slow and remember you aren't going to age out of being able to apply to the military any time soon, so if you miss it this time it's not the end of the world.

• Like 6

See above post. I was actually talking about the same thing on Monday.

A thing to consider as well is that calorie tracking and balancing is a skill that takes a while to learn. You can't just decide to do it and you're instantly going to be able to manipulate your weight.

Losing the weight should probably be your first priority, so I'd put your efforts on the thing with the biggest carryover, which is your diet. Whatever app (or notebook) you're using to track your calories, just keep tracking everything every day. Weigh it with a pocket scale like a psycho if necessary (like I did). Keep tracking and adjusting for the four months and see where you go.

Running, push-ups, and sit-ups become MUCH easier when you lose 40 lbs. It wouldn't hurt to learn how to run properly, but seeing that you have a lot on your plate I might just recommend going outside daily, getting some sun and a daily walk in for now, while you concentrate on keeping a tight leash on your diet. Basic Training/Boot Camp is supposed to train you to be able to pass the fitness test anyway.

• Like 4

This is what I do when I need to jumpstart:

1. Start using an app daily to track your habits. I like using my Fitbit app, but MyFitnessPal and LoseIt are both great. Track your water intake, activity, food intake, etc.

2. You do have time, RisenPhoenix is right. Make a schedule and allot some time in it for activity and food prep. Microwave some frozen veggies. Learn how to make a basic healthy stir fry (water, not oil). If you subsist on fast food salads alone, you are going to get sick: your body needs a variety of nutrients that those won't hit. As for cooking, follow Tasty on FB for some foolproof cooking videos. Find some "beginner" cooking recipes like this list. 

3. There's no such thing as "enough of a deficit to lose X pounds". You'll find that if you deficit too hard, you'll stop losing weight. I have found that if I eat less than 1800 calories, I get no weight loss. I'm a 6'3, big frame woman, and if I cut to 1700 or below, nothing happens except me being hungry. It was trial and error to find that, but now I know my sweet spot is 1800-2000. Yours will be different.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2017 at 8:21 AM, Garris said:

In general healthy weight loss is considered to be max 2lbs per week.

5 months = 20 weeks x 2lbs = 40lbs

Generally 1 lbs of fat is considered to be 3500 calories.

that means each week you need to eat 3500 calories less than your maintenance(what you would eat to stay the same) or 500 cals deficit per day.

in order to lose 2lbs you need to eat 7000 less per week or 1000 less per day.

keep in mind that excersise adds to your deficit as it burns calories.

as far as push ups go, I started this year in March not being able to do real push-ups.

i started at incline push ups. You can progress yourself and make them as easy as you need to.

super weak start with standing push-ups against a wall.

too easy move to something lower like a counter top, then to a chair, finally to the floor.

make sure to check out the nerdfitness YouTube for their push-up tutorial about proper form.

My sweet spot for pushups is a kitchen chair. It starts getting hard to push on the kitchen chair around 10 pushups, but if I really push myself, I can get to 20. I still am too weak to even do a single regular pushup, but I'm pretty weak because I'm new. I'm alternating doing incline pushups and situps on even days and doing walk/runs on odd days. My issue with couch 2 5k is that while I can walk 30 minutes no problem, I can only do half of the day 1 runs before I feel sick and need to slowly walk the rest of the time. I'm feeling frustrated thinking I'll never reach my fitness goals.

18 hours ago, Logan Ian Byrd said:

I can only do half of the day 1 runs before I feel sick and need to slowly walk the rest of the time

Progress is progress. Sometimes our start points don't match up with what article or programs say we should be starting at.

Keep it noted/written down somewhere that as of right now, you can do 1/2 of the day one runs. Pretty soon (couple weeks maybe) depending on recovery times and diets, you'll likely be crushing the day 1. 

As far as strength training (your pushups/situps), check out the nerdfitness beginner's body weight circuit (here). Might help target some additional areas of your body. NOTE: When I started this program (last year), I had JUST gotten to "regular" pushups. I could barely do a 5 second plank, squats were what my dog did in the backyard, and I started the bent over rows with an 8lb box of cat litter. It will kick you ascot when you get started. Over time you can find ways to add difficulty (i.e. I added dumbbells eventually). 

The thing I like about it, I KNEW I got my whole body work in, and it only too 30-40 minutes 3x/week. I did it for a year before I got to stronglifts (just started a little over two months ago).

Patience, while it SUCKS, gets results. Keep at it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Patience is the key. Nothing happens in just a split of seconds. 

here are some tips:

1. Drink Water, Especially Before Meals. 
  2. Eat Eggs For Breakfast.
  3. Drink Coffee (Preferably Black) 
  4. Drink Green Tea.
  5. Cook With Coconut Oil.
  6. Take a Glucomannan Supplement.
  7. Cut Back on Added Sugar.
  8. Eat Less Refined Carbs.

You don't have to eat less, you just have to eat right. You'll get through it! Every hard work pays off.

Cheers!

• Like 1