• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I'm 50M and been on SS (modified so that I'm doing chins instead of cleans) for 10 weeks.

Despite only adding 2lbs (2Kg) for a while now, I've been struggling to keep form on my squats. So I kept the weight the same for three sessions, then bust it down 10% as per the FAQ.

The bar is slow though, and I still can't keep form that well. Should I drop some reps? A set perhaps? Or should I try taking even more weight off? My other lifts are doing OK.

At what point are you struggling?

Is it late in your 2nd and 3rd set or is it the whole time?

Are you taking time to breath between reps?  I find that taking the time to take a few (3-4) breaths later in the set can help a lot.

I haven't done starting strength and my first thought on a solution would not fit into the program - drop the weight some and do more reps in an effort to build some endurance.

I'm 44 and have recently had similar trouble with my deadlift.  I have taken weight off (+10%) and am focusing on being able to do 3x5, fairly slowly with a straight back, and am filming it.  I had a disc issue (bulging L5-S1) a few years ago so I am very focused on keeping my spine neutral.

I always do my main lifts for the day early in the workout, and any accessory works comes after.

Interesting idea about the endurance, but I get the impression that almost every rep is slightly compromised in some way: I'm either not going deep enough, tipping into a taco squat, going into slo-mo coming out of the hole, or some other issue. I've basically got too much weight on the bar.

The Starting Strength book seems to indicate that I'm suffering from greed as opposed to excessive training stress or insufficient recovery, so that would mean a weight reduction. Maybe I just didn't reduce it enough (it say "at least 10%").

If I bust it down by another 5% (to 15% in total) it'll set me back to where I was in week 3, but this isn't a race. As long as my other lifts are going up I figure I'm doing OK. Let's see what happens!

Strength has ebs and flows, don't stress. You're making the right call dropping the weight. Do as much weight as you can do well. Just keep crushing that weight with good form and speed and I'm sure you will take a big step forward. 

Question... are you recovering enough between workouts? That could affect strength gains.

Good lifting, my friend!

Yes, I have had a slight cold over the past week which I think had been affecting me. That said, I've still not really got my squat form right (my hip drive seems to come and go - might be my back angle too high) so dropping the weight has helped me work on that.

As to resting - I've wondered about that too, but the fact that my other lifts are doing OK makes me feel maybe that's not the problem. Mind you, for about the last two years  I've not been sleeping well. I put it down to old age. It's very rare I get more than 6 hours a night these days. Otherwise, I used to do some cardio on my rest days (in the form of a 15min HIIT session) but I've dropped that in the last week to see if that's been getting in the way of my lifting. 

At to eating, I'm averaging 2200 calories a day with about 1.5g of protein per kilo of bodyweight. The book I'm using for my programme (The Barbell Prescription) says I should have more than that though as protein synthesis is slower in older people so maybe I should up the shakes?

12 hours ago, Gilgongo said:

Yes, I have had a slight cold over the past week which I think had been affecting me. That said, I've still not really got my squat form right (my hip drive seems to come and go - might be my back angle too high) so dropping the weight has helped me work on that.

As to resting - I've wondered about that too, but the fact that my other lifts are doing OK makes me feel maybe that's not the problem. Mind you, for about the last two years  I've not been sleeping well. I put it down to old age. It's very rare I get more than 6 hours a night these days. Otherwise, I used to do some cardio on my rest days (in the form of a 15min HIIT session) but I've dropped that in the last week to see if that's been getting in the way of my lifting. 

At to eating, I'm averaging 2200 calories a day with about 1.5g of protein per kilo of bodyweight. The book I'm using for my programme (The Barbell Prescription) says I should have more than that though as protein synthesis is slower in older people so maybe I should up the shakes?

You could up your calories on your squat days, especially more carbs before the workout. The things that always help me on heavy sets of squats are to GET A GOOD BREATH TO THE TORSO AND HOLD ON THE WAY DOWN, PUSH FROM A WHOLE FOOT,  AND PUSH YOUR UPPER BACK INTO THE BAR. 

Keep working hard!

Thanks - will try some diet modification then. Right now I'm waking up in the morning and doing my workout first thing before breakfast. But I could try eating before that (or at least the carbs part) then doing the workout and see if that helps (although I won't have time to wait for digestion).

Meanwhile, that sounds like good advice on the technique. I've been watching various how to squat videos on YouTube and I think I need to work first on keeping my upper back tight and chest up while keeping my nipples pointed at the floor. There are still lots of subtle things to monitor though - squats are hard!

Whoo! I think I'm getting it now. Can feel my hip drive coming in when I'm going back up. Bar speed's good, keeping my feet motionless and upper back tight. Push from the whole foot was a good tip!