As they say, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.  I understand my journey will indeed be a thousand miles, but I took my first step on that journey (again) on Monday.

As most of us have, I've started this journey numerous times in the past, but have found myself hailing an Uber right back to the beginning.  (Anyone ever notice how much easier it is to get back to the beginning than it was to get to where you ended?)

NO MORE, I SAY!

With a newfound motivation and what's sure to be an amazing support system (you's guys!), I'm determined to get at least 500 miles this time...

I'm starting off small.  My first goal is to start shedding some of this weight.  On Sunday, I weighed in at 401 lbs (at 6'5", that's a BMI over 47, or "Morbidly Obese".  :chargrined:)  I know, BMI isn't the end-all indicator of health.  I mean, after all, Hafthor Bjornsson, is considered "obese" based on his listed height and weight.  But being able to tie my shoes without issue, climbing a flight or two of stairs without getting winded, or even fitting my car's seat belt around me (true, my driver's side seat belt for some reason is shorter than normal, but still) are all immediate short term goals.

So, for the time being, I'm going to do what's worked for me in the past:  Weight Watchers, Planet Fitness and counting steps on my FitBit.

We (my son, my fiancee, and I... this will always be "we") started on Monday.  We're on machines to start for humility's sake.  

Monday, December 4, 2017

Arms & Shoulders:

Preacher curls:  50 lb, 3x12  (I think this is formatted properly... weight, sets x reps per set?  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

One armed curls: 45 lb 3x12

Triceps pushdowns: 90 lb 3x12

Triceps extensions: 40 lb 3x12

Shoulder press: 25 lb 3x12

Rows: 50 lb 3x12

Ten minutes on the treadmill for a cool down.

(Today is the day the DOMS should hit from that.  I'm sore, but not as bad as I've been in the past, and I feel I pushed myself harder than I did back then... DOMS are scared of me this time. :devilish:)

FitBit:

8,213 steps, 10 of 10 hours with 250+ steps

Weight Watchers:

Stayed within my points for the day (blue dot), gained 27 activity points

Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Core:

25 minutes of core exercises using the 12 minute circuit at PF, plus an oblique machine outside of that circuit.  (I have trouble laying flat on my back so I'm forced to bypass the crunch machines for now until the back pain resolves.)  We finished up with 15 minutes on the treadmill for cool down.

FitBit:

8,563 steps, 10 of 10 hours with 250+ steps

Weight Watchers:

Stayed within my points for the day (blue dot), gained 26 activity points

We did legs today.  On the docket for the rest of the week is another round of core tomorrow, then chest and back on Friday.  OFFICIAL weigh-in day at Weight Watchers is Saturday.  I usually try to hit PF for an hour of cardio before I go.  

I know this isn't an ideal program for a lot of people here (I see Paleo diets and crazy strength training (squats, dead lifts, etc.) being thrown around like dollars at the club) but you know what?  I don't care.  This has worked for me in the past, I'll continue to do it until it doesn't.  (for further evidence that this does work for me, I took a peek at the scale this morning and... well, let's just say, it's working.)  And FWIW, my boss's husband owns a power lifting gym, so chances are, I'll be there when WW and PF fail.

I'll be back tomorrow with today's final numbers.

• Like 2

"We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw.  Does that sound... 'fine'?"

My Battle Log

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Legs:
Leg curls: 80 lb, 3x12
Leg extensions: 80 lb, 3x12 (this weight was challenging.)
Leg press: 150 lb, 3x12
Hip abduction: 175 lb, 3x12
Hip adduction: 145 lb, 3x12 (this weight was too light. Have to bump it up next time.)
Donkey kicks: 70 lb, 3x12 (again, weight was light. Go heavier next time.)
Calf raises: Body weight, 25, 15, 15
Very short 5 minute cool down on the treadmill

FitBit:
6,784 steps, 8 of 10 hours with 250+ steps :(

Weight Watchers:
Stayed within my points for the day (blue dot), gained 27 activity points

Walking was challenging Wednesday; I've been having intermittent issues with my ankle and Wednesday was one of those days. I pushed through the best I could but missed a couple of my goals.

I will move on though! It's not something to give up over.

Today is core day #2 for the week. Here we go!

My Battle Log

19 hours ago, Pyndyr, the Unforgiving said:

I know this isn't an ideal program for a lot of people here (I see Paleo diets and crazy strength training (squats, dead lifts, etc.) being thrown around like dollars at the club) but you know what?  I don't care.  This has worked for me in the past, I'll continue to do it until it doesn't.  (for further evidence that this does work for me, I took a peek at the scale this morning and... well, let's just say, it's working.)

As well you should. If it works, keep at it.

As we all know, once you take that first step, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to ;)

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

On 07/12/2017 at 4:25 PM, scalyfreak said:

I know this isn't an ideal program for a lot of people here (I see Paleo diets and crazy strength training (squats, dead lifts, etc.) being thrown around like dollars at the club) but you know what?  I don't care.  This has worked for me in the past, I'll continue to do it until it doesn't.  (for further evidence that this does work for me, I took a peek at the scale this morning and... well, let's just say, it's working.)

Hey if it aint broken don't fix it. Maybe you can identify what stopped you last time - was it just 'laziness', life, or you got bored (happens to me), and cut if off before it ruins your progress, but otherwise, I'm glad you're doing what works for you. 

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

1 hour ago, Echocheanic said:

Hey if it aint broken don't fix it. Maybe you can identify what stopped you last time - was it just 'laziness', life, or you got bored (happens to me), and cut if off before it ruins your progress, but otherwise, I'm glad you're doing what works for you. 

Some of each.  :P

No, but really, what I find happens is I get all gung-ho about exercising that I push too hard my first time out, over-do it, hurt myself, take "a couple days off to recover" then six months later start the process over again.

• Like 1

My Battle Log

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Core:

25 minutes of core

FitBit:

7,625 steps, 9 of 10 hours with 250+ steps (I felt it buzz for the 9:00 hour, and I even said, "get up, go wal- oh, let me do this before I go.  Whoops, it's 10:05..."  Also, ankle was still buggin'.

Weight Watchers:

Blue dot, gained 25 activity points

I have to replace an ignition coil in my truck tomorrow (Saturday) (vehicle's been running like shee-ot, misfire on the #6 cylinder which is "awesomely" up against the firewall in my I-6) so I'm going to miss the gym.  I'm driving my fiancee to work in her car though so I can at least get to my Weight Watchers meeting for my official weigh-in.  Then I'm gonna be under the hood for an hour.

But, I am going to walk to Auto Zone, which is a .6 (point six, six tenths of a) mile walk.  There and back is barely a mile, but, with my luck, I'm going to have to go back to Auto Zone a couple of times, so I'll probably wind up with a marathon under my belt by the end of the day...  :D

• Like 2

My Battle Log

Friday, December 8, 2017

Chest & Back:

Upright Press: 50 lb, 3x12

Lat Pulldown: 70 lb, 3x12 (this was a challenge for me.  Won't attempt an increase in weight next time.)

Lat Row: 50 lb, 3x12

Back Extension: 110 lb, 3x12

We were also going to do butterflies and reverse butterflies but the machine was out of order.  As exhausted as we were from this week, we didn't miss it...

FitBit:

7,261 steps, ZERO of 10 hours with 250+ steps (I was in and out of meetings all day and I couldn't say, "excuse me, I have to go get my steps in."  As you see though, I stayed pretty consistent with the overall number of steps I got in for the day.)

Weight Watchers:

Blue dot, gained 25 activity points

Results:

December 2, I weighed in at 401.6 lbs.

December 9, I weighed in at 389.8 lbs for a loss of 11.8 lbs!

Woot!!!

I know, this is not sustainable, but it's definitely a push in the right direction.  Overall, my energy and mood have been good, I've cut way back on the amount of caffeine I've been taking in, and increased my water intake.

• Like 2

My Battle Log

On 12/9/2017 at 11:32 AM, Laghail said:

Shiiiit, making big moves here!! Props on the pragmatic walk when you couldn’t get to the gym. 

Thank you @Laghail, I wasn't able to get the walking in as I had hoped, but was still pleased with the activity I got in this weekend.  Read on:

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Gym:

Nope.  Had to work on the transport.  Leaning over into the engine compartment to reach to part to be replaced really wore on my back, so remember that for the coming days.

FitBit:

5,679 Steps, 5 of 10 hours (boo!), BUT, I did manage to get in 116 minutes of active time, so that's pretty good.

Weight Watchers:

Blue dot, 13 active points

This, considering we had Popeye's fried chicken for dinner (which, by the way, I couldn't even finish my two piece meal, so that's good.)

WW released a new program last week called "Freestyle".  It gives zero points to several high protein items like eggs, chicken breast, turkey breast, fish, legumes, corn, etc.  In turn, however, the number of points we're allowed each day was reduced.  I went from 80 points a day to 61 points a day, just on the plan change alone, then lost another point with my 11 lb loss.  

Sunday, December 10, 2017

Gym:

Once more, nope.  But:

FitBit:

On Sunday, I was able to log 15,331 steps, covering 7.72 miles, burning 6,605 calories (according to FitBit, so take that for what it's worth), 177 minutes of active time, and 10 of 10 hours with 250+ steps.

My fiancee and I started our Christmas shopping that had us go to two indoor malls, an outdoor mall, and it started with grocery shopping first thing in the morning.  All told, I was going non-stop from 7:00 am until 9:00 pm.

Weight Watchers:

I indulged on Sunday.  In fact, I ate like crap.  I had a chocolate chip waffle for breakfast (washed down with a peanut butter and chocolate latte), half a roast beef sandwich and a cup of chicken tortilla soup for lunch, gelato, kettle corn, a soda (boo!) and tacos for dinner.  A few notes on these decisions though; the portions at lunch were actually a lot smaller than I was anticipating, and it still filled me up, the soda was shared with my fiancee and was consumed purely for the caffeine, and the tacos were made with lean ground beef, low-cal tortillas, and fat free beans.  All told, I did go over my points by a whopping 33, but with as much walking as I did yesterday, I was able to accumulate FORTY ONE active points, so I don't even feel bad.

Because I really overdid it Sunday, a trip to the gym this morning was, unfortunately, not in the cards for me today.  Not to say that I'm not going to be active.  I'm still going to get my steps in, make sure I'm moving every hour, and get back at it twice as hard tomorrow.

Appreciate anyone that reads this post in full and look forward to an exciting report tomorrow!

• Like 2

My Battle Log

Don't sweat or beat yourself up over eating  "like crap" for a day. A long as it remains one single day, it's not going to make a difference in the long run.

• Like 1

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49; Ch 50

1) re eating like crap. “Don’t let a bad hour turn into a bad day. If u end up with a bad day, don’t let it turn into a bad week. If u have a bad week, don’t let it become a bad month. You won’t get bad years.”

2) just keep moving. I see you are aiming for 7.5k+, perfect. When u chill at home, sit on the floor, not the couch. U will find yourself getting up and down a lot. I have no couches at home and no one has really complained. U can watch netflix while standing too for example. 

3) exercise: do what u feel makes you feel good. The good ol’ pushups, situps, squats combi is the perfect “program minimum” that u can sub in if u can’t get to the gym. 

Bon chance!

• Like 2

my journey to kickass-dom

E1RM: SQ: 130.9kg (Jul18); BP: 103.2kg (Aug18); DL: 150kg (Jun18); 
FSQ: 103.2kg (May18); OHP: 66.9kg (Dec17); PP: 72.5kg (Jul18)
2.4km/Cooper's Test: (10:22, Jun18)
Vitals: 40 yo, 1.7m, 74kg (Jul18)